Forum Stats
62810 Members
46 Forums
440132 Topics
6061061 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6901021 - 09/27/17 02:02 PM Doe meat hunt / same stands question.
jadkins Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Midland, TX
Any folks have good luck / experience shooting a doe in the AM then coming back to same feeder in PM and getting another one? How skiddish do the get once they hear the big boom in your opinion? Always wondered about those "meat haul" hunts where guys go for a weekend and come back with 5 or 6 does. Eden / Menard areas.

#6901024 - 09/27/17 02:04 PM Re: Doe meat hunt / same stands question. [Re: jadkins]
SapperTitan Online   content
Taking Requests

Loc: Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
The shot prob isn't gonna scare the deer as much as seeing one of their herd members flop over dead. Id shoot the first doe to show up and if possible shoot the doe on the way to the feeder not at the feeder. I think this would cause less disturbance to the other deer in the area.

#6901031 - 09/27/17 02:06 PM Re: Doe meat hunt / same stands question. [Re: jadkins]
TiggerV Offline
Woodsman

We have had deer killed under same feeder same day multiple times....

#6901055 - 09/27/17 02:29 PM Re: Doe meat hunt / same stands question. [Re: jadkins]
fouzman Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Houston, TX
Originally Posted By: jadkins
Any folks have good luck / experience shooting a doe in the AM then coming back to same feeder in PM and getting another one? How skiddish do the get once they hear the big boom in your opinion? Always wondered about those "meat haul" hunts where guys go for a weekend and come back with 5 or 6 does. Eden / Menard areas.

They don't get too skittish, unless they identify where the sound originated. I've shot both bucks and does with lots of deer around the feeder. Some will run off but most will go on alert and stay close. After a few minutes, they'll be walking around the dead deer eating, again. Now if you chamber another round and they hear the brass hit the floor, bang around in the blind or whatever else attracts their attention to that stand after the shot, they will definitely become skittish around that stand. I don't recommend hunting the same stand twice in one day but, if that's all you've got, it will work.

#6901081 - 09/27/17 02:43 PM Re: Doe meat hunt / same stands question. [Re: jadkins]
Texas buckeye Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Keller
The biggest thing you need to remember is deer don't understand guns any more than they understand thunder or bangs of metal or other weird noises. For the most part these noises don't hurt them at all. So they will not associate the report of a gun with bad things UNLESS YOU cause them to associate the noise with bad things. Also, If the deer know you are there but can't find you (they smell you or know something isn't right), they will spook a lot more than deer who have no idea you are there.

Shoot, watch deer go dead, stay in blind until deer leave. Once deer completely out of sight and out of mind, then go tend to dead deer and repeat next hunt.

The people that shoot and immediately get out of blind and watch deer run are spooking deer from their normal activity.

One of the hardest things to watch is a deer with a long time travel companion that gets shot, then said deer goes over and tries to figure out why their buddy is not moving. I know they don't have feelings and such, and its all part of nature, but it does make me sad when that happens. I try to shoot deer that nobody wants around, even its fellow deer....

Edited by Texas buckeye (09/27/17 02:45 PM)

#6901095 - 09/27/17 02:57 PM Re: Doe meat hunt / same stands question. [Re: jadkins]
redchevy Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
I think hunting pressure has more to do with it than anything. First couple years we had our property we didn't shoot any deer at all. When we first started shooting them the other deer would just stand around and look when you shot, not run at all. After a year or so of hunting they run off when you shoot.

We have noticed if you shoot the deer and they die on the spot the other deer haul but and don't come back, but if you shoot and they run of even just 20-30 yards they most of the time will only run a short distance look around and come back. I went back to body shooting because of it.

#6901099 - 09/27/17 03:03 PM Re: Doe meat hunt / same stands question. [Re: jadkins]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
I once killed four deer from the same blind in a 78 minute window. If you have the numbers and have an attraction, getting multiple deer can be fairly easy.

#6901101 - 09/27/17 03:05 PM Re: Doe meat hunt / same stands question. [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks]
SapperTitan Online   content
Taking Requests

Loc: Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
I once killed four deer from the same blind in a 78 minute window. If you have the numbers and have an attraction, getting multiple deer can be fairly easy.
in Lometa I killed a spike and had about 12 deer including 4 young bucks eating right next to the spike. I think every area is gonna be different.

#6901128 - 09/27/17 03:29 PM Re: Doe meat hunt / same stands question. [Re: jadkins]
fouzman Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Houston, TX
Was shooting does for a friend several years ago. He said shoot the doe and if she has a doe fawn with her, shoot it too. I dropped a Momma doe with a head shot and then killed her doe fawn with a neck shot about five minutes later. Fifteen minutes later along comes a three year old buck. He walked right up to the two dead does, sniffed a bit and started going berserk over the fawn. This was very late MLD season and the fawn was in estrous. That poor buck tried and tried to get her up for over 10 minutes. Finally, with tongue hanging out and really frustrated, be bedded down with his body touching the doe fawn's. He didn't leave until he heard the Polaris coming to pick me up roflmao

One of those days I was sorry I didn't have a video camera with me.

#6901208 - 09/27/17 04:17 PM Re: Doe meat hunt / same stands question. [Re: jadkins]
titan2232 Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Conroe, TX
I shot a lone mature 8 point inside my feed pen in 2015. Within seconds of the deer hitting the ground all the other bucks jumped in the pen to eat corn.

#6901218 - 09/27/17 04:22 PM Re: Doe meat hunt / same stands question. [Re: redchevy]
jadkins Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Midland, TX
Good tip. I'm typically a neck shooter so I'll remember this.

#6901367 - 09/27/17 05:57 PM Re: Doe meat hunt / same stands question. [Re: jadkins]
chalet Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: North Side of the Metromess
I've shot deer and had every other deer high tail it for the next county, I've shot deer and had the other deer jump, stamp a couple times, and go back to eating corn. Just depends.

Long story, but one year on my lease by the end of season pretty much everybody involved in lease was hunting my stand and doing a lot of shooting. By Christmas time the deer were spooked, I am not lying when I say they'd wait til about the time sun was down, haul [censored] into the feed pen, grab a few bites, then bounce back into the brush.

A shot here or there I don't think is a big deal, a pattern of watching their buddies get bang flopped makes an impact though.

#6901655 - 09/27/17 09:40 PM Re: Doe meat hunt / same stands question. [Re: jadkins]
Da' Hitman Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Fort Worth TX
I've shot doe from the same feeder, but no bucks were present. I don't know if that changes anything

#6901667 - 09/27/17 09:54 PM Re: Doe meat hunt / same stands question. [Re: jadkins]
pigplinker Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Ben Wheeler,Tx
Like others have said it depends on situation. I have killed a cull buck and the doe with him came out started eating within 2 feet of the dead buck. I did not need her so I let her eat awhile and finally had to get out of the blind to spook her away. I filmed it, but that was the old video recorder days. OLD SCHOOL as the youngsters would say.

#6901699 - 09/27/17 10:22 PM Re: Doe meat hunt / same stands question. [Re: jadkins]
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Helotes, Hext
This is Texas, whitetail hunting is easy. If you shoot one you may have to shoo the others away so that you can go get it.

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide