Forums46
Topics538,032
Posts9,732,155
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: Simple Searcher] #6843963 08/03/17 03:56 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Typical of this forum anymore, the holier than thou crew shows up and hijacks a thread.
This guy asked for help and lo and behold, no one offers help.

Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: janie] #6845724 08/04/17 11:34 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: janie
I hate thieves and hope they shoot themselves in the face with it. Sure hope it's recovered and returned.

This

texas flag

Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: MathMan] #6845787 08/05/17 12:25 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Laying blame on this poor man for his rifle getting stolen is the same thing as if his beautiful wife was taken from the truck and raped. "He should have known better than to take such a pretty woman put in public."

insane

So now we are comparing inanimate, replaceable firearms with human life?

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6846058 08/05/17 06:27 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Laying blame on this poor man for his rifle getting stolen is the same thing as if his beautiful wife was taken from the truck and raped. "He should have known better than to take such a pretty woman put in public."

insane

You are both smart Men, and I think you know what he meant Sir.

I leave guns in my truck when I must. Sometimes I leave my teenage daughter in the truck while I stop to get fuel & snacks going to & fro hunting. Many times my little kids are in the truck too. She (or her big brother) has a handgun near and knows how to use it but always in the back of my head when I let them out of my sight........ My guns are pretty. My daughter is pretty. Reach for either of those two things and whatever happens happens. There is no excuse for a thief period. Attempt to steal a gun from my truck or put your hands on my daughter, there is no difference in that. I think that was his point, and I'm pretty sure that's your's but I could be wrong. I hate thieves with a passion though and would have killed one if he didn't drop his crow bar. SO, in the grand scheme of things IMO yes Sir some of us relate inanimate objects with living breathing loved ones. Don't steal, and no worries...I absolutely hate a thief.

Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: skinnerback] #6846119 08/05/17 12:33 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: skinnerback

insane

You are both smart Men, and I think you know what he meant Sir.

I leave guns in my truck when I must. Sometimes I leave my teenage daughter in the truck while I stop to get fuel & snacks going to & fro hunting. Many times my little kids are in the truck too. She (or her big brother) has a handgun near and knows how to use it but always in the back of my head when I let them out of my sight........ My guns are pretty. My daughter is pretty. Reach for either of those two things and whatever happens happens. There is no excuse for a thief period. Attempt to steal a gun from my truck or put your hands on my daughter, there is no difference in that. I think that was his point, and I'm pretty sure that's your's but I could be wrong. I hate thieves with a passion though and would have killed one if he didn't drop his crow bar. SO, in the grand scheme of things IMO yes Sir some of us relate inanimate objects with living breathing loved ones. Don't steal, and no worries...I absolutely hate a thief.

Yes Sir! up

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: MathMan] #6859180 08/17/17 02:19 AM
M
MathMan Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M
Btt

Spread the word please...

Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: MathMan] #6859332 08/17/17 11:01 AM
D
decook Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I was hoping to see good news.

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: MathMan] #6862392 08/20/17 01:09 PM
M
Maxlab Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Sorry for your friend, just wondering where did this take place in San Antonio. I live here in San Antonio and was just wondering.

Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: MathMan] #6863007 08/21/17 12:15 AM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
are the scope rings silver or is it just the way the light hits it in the picture?

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: MathMan] #6864399 08/22/17 01:49 AM
G
ggwill Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
G
Just wondering, you can put a chip in a pet so you can locate when lost. Can you do that to a gun to locate it when it is stolen ?

Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: MathMan] #6864451 08/22/17 02:18 AM
M
MathMan Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M
I'm sure it's possible just doubt anyone makes it. Just inject it in the stock or somewhere safe and it would work. Neat idea.

Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: ggwill] #6864562 08/22/17 03:38 AM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: ggwill
Just wondering, you can put a chip in a pet so you can locate when lost. Can you do that to a gun to locate it when it is stolen ?

The chip most often used is not a GPS tracking device although I am sure it's available. It has to be scanned and checked against registration database's.

Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: MathMan] #6864744 08/22/17 12:34 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
It's called a serial #.

Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6864829 08/22/17 01:43 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
It's called a serial #.

Serial numbers only help after the gun is found. They won't help him locate the stolen firearm. But you knew that before you replied. There is something called "tiles" that you can affix to anything. A computer search will show you where the tile is 24/7. I'm sure someone could figure out a way to discreetly install tiles on a firearm.

Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: MathMan] #6865379 08/22/17 09:53 PM
G
ggwill Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
G
remove stock or butt pad and put in either place . A small hole is all you would need I think. Just a thought ,

Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: fouzman] #6865519 08/23/17 12:33 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: fouzman
It's called a serial #.

Serial numbers only help after the gun is found. They won't help him locate the stolen firearm. But you knew that before you replied. There is something called "tiles" that you can affix to anything. A computer search will show you where the tile is 24/7. I'm sure someone could figure out a way to discreetly install tiles on a firearm.

So you don't have them yet either and have no real knowledge of using them?

We have them for keychains. Have had 3 brands so far. Not impressed with the technology. Between battery failures and unit failures, the system isn't terrible reliable that I can see. None are recoil rated. Many aren't weather-rated. "Tile" brand are waterproof, but they are far from being small and able to be readily discretely hidden on most rifles.

And I just can see gun people installing electronic gizmos on their firearms...given all the fears about government tracking, etc.

The other options are RFID chips that are very small and you could just drill a small hole and put them in the stock. They require no battery power and have a long, tested history of use, so I would best they may handle recoil well enough. They are waterproof and deal with that well enough. The problem with RFID chips is that you do have to have the item with the RFID chip in it first, PLUS, you have to have a RFID chip reader to see what is on the chip. Otherwise, it is pretty useless. Serial #s you can just read off the gun.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 08/23/17 12:38 AM.

Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: MathMan] #6866650 08/24/17 12:04 AM
K
Kawabuggy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
Double naught spy.. The downside to the chips is like you said, they have to be read. If someone thinks a rifle they have is stolen, they are not likely to allow anyone to read it. The person that would get caught is the honest guy who buys a stolen firearm (not knowing it was/is stolen) from a gun show and then somehow it gets scanned, and he finds out the hard way.

It's not like a long gun is going to have many opportunities to be scanned. Now if all stores had chip readers at the entrance, pistols could be scanned easily and that information uploaded to a police data base quite easily, and verified if they are stolen or not. I know many would be against this because it is more possibility for .gov intrusion. However, if homie is rollin' with a hot piece in his pantsline and stops up in Walmart for some cigarillos, he will get scanned on the way in and someones stolen pistol *could be* recovered, and a thug taken off the streets. I know.. the ability to track a firearm, any firearm, is going to fly like the Hindenburg.

A hog is nothing more than a bullet receptacle.
Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: MathMan] #6867173 08/24/17 02:41 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
could bore a hollow area in the butt end of the stock and put a small GPS tracking device ... some are pretty small

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: MathMan] #6896183 09/23/17 05:48 AM
R
Rafter J Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
All, thanks for the comments here. Just joined the forum after I saw this posted on here. A little background for those making comments that they'd never put themselves in that situation and such.. I had gone to a long range shooting competition over 80 miles from San Antonio. No one followed me, no one knew what I had in the truck except me. While leaving the ranch I was at for the comp- I was asked by my wife to run an errand on the way home that involved me going to a furniture store off I-10 and Huebner in San Antonio. When I pulled into the parking lot there were four other cars there-including one other truck. Parked at the curb near the store in the parking lot(dedicated to that store-not shared with other stores) there was a white BMW sedan. I walked right by the BMW and went in the store. I had not planned on being there more than five minutes. Two minutes after walking in, two ladies came running in and asked if I had a silver truck-and told me they saw two young Hispanic males pulling bags out of my truck while the horn was honking.. I have a newer silver one ton Chevy..there were a Range Rover, a Acura, and a Mercedes in the lot in addition to a Dodge 2500. I parked in the first row right in front of the store. The rifle was in a drag bag on the floor board, covered in work clothes, work boots, hard hat, and a strudel from Haby's in Castroville(which the tasteless bastards didn't bother to take thankfully), and my son's car seat. The thieves were in the white BMW that was parked by the curb up front in the lot when I pulled in...further proof that I was not followed. Watched it all on camera afterwards and they were in and out of my truck in less than one minute..They punched my driver's door lock and pulled the bags out and were interrupted by the two ladies who notified me.. I have no stickers on my truck except a Texas A&M former students sticker and a Kerrville Tivy sticker. It was a pure crime of opportunity and they lucked out..but got a rifle that will be hard to sell... I have given the serial number to the police and it is registered as stolen nationally-so if the number gets run it'll show as stolen.. I've tried most of the tracking devices and none that are small enough to fit in a rifle actually work for this-at least what I've found. Most are made for lost keys and such that work off RFID or similar tech and require that you be within a 100' or so to get a signal...any battery operated GPS would not be practical on a rifle due to size. I'm still looking for the rifle every chance I get and will still gladly pay the reward if the rifle is found. Thank you all for the comments and help! -Jeff

Father, Husband, Rancher, Oilfield SatCom Salesman, Blacksmith, SCUBA diver (AOW, Rescue, Mixed Gas), varmint hunter and lover of the outdoors...here for a good time and education when I can't be outdoors!
Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: Rafter J] #6896203 09/23/17 11:06 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Rafter J
All, thanks for the comments here. Just joined the forum after I saw this posted on here. A little background for those making comments that they'd never put themselves in that situation and such.. I had gone to a long range shooting competition over 80 miles from San Antonio. No one followed me, no one knew what I had in the truck except me. While leaving the ranch I was at for the comp- I was asked by my wife to run an errand on the way home that involved me going to a furniture store off I-10 and Huebner in San Antonio. When I pulled into the parking lot there were four other cars there-including one other truck. Parked at the curb near the store in the parking lot(dedicated to that store-not shared with other stores) there was a white BMW sedan. I walked right by the BMW and went in the store. I had not planned on being there more than five minutes. Two minutes after walking in, two ladies came running in and asked if I had a silver truck-and told me they saw two young Hispanic males pulling bags out of my truck while the horn was honking.. I have a newer silver one ton Chevy..there were a Range Rover, a Acura, and a Mercedes in the lot in addition to a Dodge 2500. I parked in the first row right in front of the store. The rifle was in a drag bag on the floor board, covered in work clothes, work boots, hard hat, and a strudel from Haby's in Castroville(which the tasteless bastards didn't bother to take thankfully), and my son's car seat. The thieves were in the white BMW that was parked by the curb up front in the lot when I pulled in...further proof that I was not followed. Watched it all on camera afterwards and they were in and out of my truck in less than one minute..They punched my driver's door lock and pulled the bags out and were interrupted by the two ladies who notified me.. I have no stickers on my truck except a Texas A&M former students sticker and a Kerrville Tivy sticker. It was a pure crime of opportunity and they lucked out..but got a rifle that will be hard to sell... I have given the serial number to the police and it is registered as stolen nationally-so if the number gets run it'll show as stolen.. I've tried most of the tracking devices and none that are small enough to fit in a rifle actually work for this-at least what I've found. Most are made for lost keys and such that work off RFID or similar tech and require that you be within a 100' or so to get a signal...any battery operated GPS would not be practical on a rifle due to size. I'm still looking for the rifle every chance I get and will still gladly pay the reward if the rifle is found. Thank you all for the comments and help! -Jeff

Welcome to the forum Jeff welcome Hope you catch those POS in the BMW and get your rifle back!

texas flag

Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: MathMan] #6896207 09/23/17 11:23 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Welcome Rafter J
I sure hope you find that gun.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: MathMan] #6896282 09/23/17 01:45 PM
D
d.g.ruff Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Welcome to the forum, sir. I wish it was under better circumstances. What do you mean they punched the door lock? Could you tell what they used to do it with? I've never heard of that before. And like what was said earlier, I would definitely check with the pawn shops. I work in one in Sherman, Tx. Some shops will work with you, but some are probably going to be rude and no help at all. I am one of those that hates thieves, along with my coworkers, and will do everything I can, legally, to help someone. I had my Ipad stolen from our shop and called around and had it back in two days. An employee at another pawn shop saw them and got their name and number, even their address. Needless to say, I got it back in a couple of hours after receiving that info. And I don't remember if you had recorded the serial number or not? I hope so. Good luck to you, and I hope they catch the dirty bastards that did this. I will certainly keep my eye out.

Mmmm Hmmm
Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: MathMan] #6897517 09/24/17 09:13 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I spend a while hitting pawn shops when a gun was stolen. I asked about the gun, I had pictures and told them I had reported it to the police. Everyone of them, without fail, said they were FFL licensed in order to buy and sell guns. Therefore they had to check to see if it was stolen, or it would show when they went to sell it.
I do not know if this is true for all pawn shops, or that all of them do things legally, but it was for the ones I stopped at. I finally quit going to pawn shops and I would go to gun shows, check the newspaper, Texas Gun Trader etc.
The part that sucks is that gun was probably sold for crack money, then sold to friend that hunted. It is probably pulled out a few times a year by the new owner and never seen by more than a few people.
We can only hope it shows up.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: d.g.ruff] #6897964 09/25/17 12:09 PM
R
Rafter J Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
DG Ruff-thank you! I'm not certain of what tools are used to actually punch the lock, but the only door on my truck that has a keyed lock is the driver's door. From what I saw afterwards, with my lock cylinder laying on the ground along with part of my door handle-is that they used a slide hammer of sorts to jam it in the lockset and then violently pull it out. They broke the entire handle and lock mechanism-and did over $1000 in body damage to the door. In regards to the serial number-it is registered in NCIC/TCIC so if you run the serial number through the database-it will come up as stolen. The action is a Stiller Spectre-Long Action with the 20moa picatinny rail milled as one piece with the receiver. The Serial number begins with the letters SPC, the rifle is engraved as well with Texas Custom Rifles #87, and has Luke 8:10-15 on top of the barrel just forward of the stock. It was ceracoated to look like it was rusted-but that is easily changed with a can of spray paint.. Thanks for your help in looking out for this rifle!!

Father, Husband, Rancher, Oilfield SatCom Salesman, Blacksmith, SCUBA diver (AOW, Rescue, Mixed Gas), varmint hunter and lover of the outdoors...here for a good time and education when I can't be outdoors!
Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: Simple Searcher] #6897967 09/25/17 12:13 PM
R
Rafter J Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
Thank you too Simple Searcher! I'm not real hopeful any more-but you never know.. I'll save up again and build another some day, until then I've got other rifles-just not as nice as that one...

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide