Forum Stats
62829 Members
46 Forums
440384 Topics
6065159 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6892886 - 09/19/17 10:07 PM Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever)
Wooties Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Grand Saline, Tx
Hey folks, new to this forum but been over at the tff for quite a few years. I am wanting to get a dog for hunting primarily and just being part of our family also. I have never owned a dog in my life, I've done alot of reading lately and so on, and because I'm still not sure I'm just being biased I want to make sure I choose the right dog for me. I am looking at labs mostly because they interests me so much, I plan to mostly duck and dove hunt here in east texas so I know lots of dogs can fill that role. I also like the gsp, and the Brittany spaniel but I don't even know anyone who owns a hunting dog personally. So that's why I'm asking so far in advance I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I pull the trigger and end up with the wrong dog, or training him wrong. So any and all advice I'm going to read and take to heart from rather I should try training him myself or rather I should buy a trained simi trained dog, what kinda videos books do you recommend. Anything really hoping to be ready for a dog next summer or maybe even spring. If you have any idea about places I should go look at or even talk to I'd really appreciate that too. Thanks all who reply in advance!

#6892905 - 09/19/17 10:19 PM Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: Wooties]
Eagle 1 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Fritch, TX
Give my son Brent a shout in Poynor. You can find his number at www.ggsportsman.com. He has GSP's and Labs and a wealth of knowledge on hunting dogs. Several on the THF have his dogs.

Take a knee for the Lord and stand for the Flag!

#6892980 - 09/20/17 01:58 AM Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: Wooties]
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Abilene, TX
As most of the people who visit this section of the THF know I'm a lab guy. For ducks, dove and family companion it's the route to go. It's especially a good route to go being your first dog because they are very forgiving.

The best advise I can give you and please listen is to do your research on the litter.

#1 make sure parents are health tested. Eyes, hips and elbows. DNA tests EIC, CNM, PRA minimum.

#2 buy pup out of parents with good temperaments and who are titled or at least hunted. If at all possible go see what the parents are like. For your first dog that's just going to be a hunting dog and family companion you will not want a super "hot" over the top energetic dog.

#3 Do yourself a huge favor and buy these two DVDs "Training a retriever puppy" by Bill Hillmann and "Sound Beginnings" by Jakie Mertens. Spend the money

#4 don't buy a silver

Feel free to call me at 806-786-6825 if you have any questions.

I'm hoping to have a litter on the ground late spring. FYI

#6893172 - 09/20/17 09:15 AM Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: Eagle 1]
Wooties Offline
Light Foot

Originally Posted By: Eagle 1
Give my son Brent a shout in Poynor. You can find his number at www.ggsportsman.com. He has GSP's and Labs and a wealth of knowledge on hunting dogs. Several on the THF have his dogs.

I live pretty close to Poyner, I'll give him a call at the end of my work week and see what he has to say, thanks!

#6893242 - 09/20/17 10:27 AM Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: BradyBuck]
Wooties Offline
Light Foot

I am going to order these videos tonight Amazon does not carry them how ever, what does don't buy silver mean, that mean a older dog? Thanks for all the advice also. May give you a call sometime soon to ask some things.

#6893299 - 09/20/17 11:19 AM Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: Wooties]
ronlhodges Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: West Texas
Labs are great dogs and mix with family very well and I agree with all above . However as suggested check out their health history . I have some kinfolks that have a black lab from a puppy and is now on up in his yrs but I feel so sorry for their dog cause they are prone to arthritis in the hip areas . They have a baby bed mattress in their home for him to lay on but so sad to see him walking in pain a lot . They have medicine he takes and sees' a vet regularly but they can't hunt him anymore but he is so friendly and they are really going to miss him when time comes for him to pass .

Myself I have had all kinds of family dogs but the one best dog I had was a Brittany Spaniel . That dog had so much energy but was also a great family dog . Never got to train him cause just over a yr old he was chasing a female Brittany in heat and well ... , she ran across a hwy and a semi caught them both . I was devastated but nothing I could do about it . However a great bird dog and family dog but very hyper . Never had his tail cropped tho and looked just like this one :

Brittany Spaniel

Just enjoying life best I can honestly and honorably .

#6893322 - 09/20/17 11:38 AM Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: Wooties]
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: CEDAR CREEK LAKE
The answer to this question is and always will be, Brittany.

#6893335 - 09/20/17 11:45 AM Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN]
colt45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: bastrop county
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
The answer to this question is and always will be, Brittany.
duel

#6893417 - 09/20/17 12:50 PM Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: Wooties]
ETexas Hunter Offline
Tracker

Loc: Austin
Get a Lab

#6893448 - 09/20/17 01:20 PM Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: Wooties]
triggerbowtx Offline
Woodsman

Originally Posted By: Wooties
what does don't buy silver mean,

You are probably familiar with Black, Yellow and Chocolate Labrador retrievers. There are now breeders marketing "silver" labs. I won't get into the specifics, but just stick with any of the real and recognized colors, Black, Yellow or Choc.

Also, since it's your first dog ever... Be prepared. Mentally. Lab puppies are busy little creatures. They take (and deserve) a lot of time and attention to raise. If you're not up for the puppy part, definitely consider what people call a "started" dog. This is a dog that is usually young (under 2 years) and has at least some training. Everyone's opinion of "started" (how much training has the dog already had) is different, so you need to have someone with experience help make sure you find the right started dog for you and your family. If you go that route, come back here and ask questions about how to find the right started dog.

#6893459 - 09/20/17 01:36 PM Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: triggerbowtx]
Wooties Offline
Light Foot

Ok never heard of a silver lab before so thanks for the advice on that, the more I read the more I think my beat option for a 1st dog is to be a started dog. That being said what would your advice be to look at. Right now with work the way it is o can always get 30 minutes a day out with a dog no problem I work 3 days on 3 days off but still with 2 young boys it can be tough to get to far out from the house. The 6yo will go where ever, and the 1yo throws a fit when he can't.

#6893545 - 09/20/17 03:18 PM Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: triggerbowtx]
Bass&More Offline
Tracker

Loc: Jack County
Originally Posted By: triggerbowtx

You are probably familiar with Black, Yellow and Chocolate Labrador retrievers. There are now breeders marketing "silver" labs. I won't get into the specifics, but just stick with any of the real and recognized colors, Black, Yellow or Choc.

Also, since it's your first dog ever... Be prepared. Mentally. Lab puppies are busy little creatures. They take (and deserve) a lot of time and attention to raise. If you're not up for the puppy part, definitely consider what people call a "started" dog. This is a dog that is usually young (under 2 years) and has at least some training. Everyone's opinion of "started" (how much training has the dog already had) is different, so you need to have someone with experience help make sure you find the right started dog for you and your family. If you go that route, come back here and ask questions about how to find the right started dog.

Don't do this. Methodically it seems logical, but this is an alternate fact. bang I cringed reading it. Silver labs make great dogs same as the Black, Yellow and Chocolate genetically are the same with personalities that can be expected in all similar breeds. peep

#6893568 - 09/20/17 03:39 PM Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: Wooties]
Cochise Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Texas
Man...get those boys a lab puppy that they can grow up with. A lot more work on the front end, but well worth it in the long run.

If you insist on getting a started dog you need to get with whoever you're purchasing the dog from before you ever take the dog and learn everything the dog knows and how to command the dog - otherwise you're going to get frustrated very quickly due to your lack of knowledge (hence why I think a puppy is better so you can both learn together - especially if you're just getting a meat dog/family pet).

#6893613 - 09/20/17 04:07 PM Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: Bass&More]
ronlhodges Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: West Texas
I also prefer puppies cause they grow to know your voice , your act how you treat them and they learn to respect you and not starters . JMHO

Just enjoying life best I can honestly and honorably .

#6893614 - 09/20/17 04:08 PM Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: Bass&More]
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Abilene, TX
Originally Posted By: Bass&More
Originally Posted By: triggerbowtx

Don't do this. Methodically it seems logical, but this is an alternate fact. bang I cringed reading it. Silver labs make great dogs same as the Black, Yellow and Chocolate genetically are the same with personalities that can be expected in all similar breeds. peep

Except.....

More prone to have coat and skin problems

Bred only for color

Very few are proven hunters and very few have hunt test titled

And a strong argument can be made that the dilute gene was introduced by crossing with a Weimaraner

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide