Print Thread
Aransas NWR / Harvey effects #6890690 09/18/17 01:33 PM
J
Javi Garza Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
I've been a reader for some time, but haven't posted much.

I have a few questions:

I was selected for a hunt at Aransas NWR. I'm debating if i should accept it. I know they closed Archery hunts this year because of the hurricane, but my questions are , how do hurricanes affect deer? Is a hunt there still ideal, or even doable? Have any of you hunted this before? Have you been successful? What are the deer like?

Where do you hunt out of? Must we take our out stand? And finally, any tips and tricks for hunting this area?

Javi

Last edited by Javi Garza; 09/18/17 01:33 PM.
Re: Aransas NWR / Harvey effects [Re: Javi Garza] #6891186 09/18/17 08:31 PM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Welcome to the forum!

I just answered some questions concerning this hunt in this topic in the Deer Hunting forum: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto

Briefly, as I need to run to town, answers to your questions:
  • How do hurricanes affect deer? The Refuge has a lot of standing water; any tropical activity just makes it deeper with less dry land. As far as the deer go, they adapt (better than hunters do).
  • Is a hunt there still ideal? Honestly, the hunt is never ideal. This will probably be the toughest hunt you have been on as far as finding deer and killing one while dealing with the elements.
  • Have any of you hunted this before? Yes, since the first hunt. I believe that was 1966.
  • Have you been successful Yes, but not in the last 15 years.
  • What are the deer like? Small and young. This question relates to the previous, in that as I've gotten older I've moved on to hunting older deer rather than just shooting a deer. A lot of young deer are killed on the Refuge. I've seen many deer taken that were fawns.
  • Where do you hunt out of? Honestly, I don't understand your question
  • Must we take our out stand? If you mean "our own stand?", yes. Nothing is provided. You need to download and read the hunt brochure.
  • Any tips and tricks for hunting this area? Not really. Find dry ground that deer are using and other hunters are not. The brush on the refuge is extremely thick so you will need to do your scouting. Spend a huge amount of time on Google Earth orienting yourself to the hunt area otherwise; you will wear yourself while scouting and become disappointed. Walking is tough of the Refuge. The only "trick" is sticking it out. Every day, half the hunters from the previous day will not return. Those that are successful typically are those that stick it out.

[Linked Image]
Re: Aransas NWR / Harvey effects [Re: Ranch Dog] #6892127 09/19/17 04:24 PM
J
Javi Garza Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
Thanks for your feedback.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread