Question about Grayson county #6890058 09/17/17 09:25 PM
L
LovinLakeLife Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
L
I know in Grayson county it's archery only for deer hunting
But my question is, can you hunt hogs in Grayson with a rifle, or bow only?
I can't find anything about hog hunting there

Re: Question about Grayson county [Re: LovinLakeLife] #6890081 09/17/17 09:45 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Yes you can hunt hogs with firearms.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Question about Grayson county [Re: LovinLakeLife] #6890086 09/17/17 09:51 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Not that I know of...however the Hagarman WMA Lottery hog hunt allows shotguns using lead free ammo. I've been told there is some funkylanguage about how many projectiles coming out of the barrel is waht the Law sez that prevents rifles from being used ...dunno and I lived there for 11 years ...but the County closed the only gun range too politics politics politics is a way of life in Grayson County.

The TPW GW station at Texoma is on the south side of the Little Mineral Marina complex & accessed by turning off Hwy 289 one street south of the Marina's turnoff & go one long block to the stop sign & turn left...the GW office is at the bottom of that hill on the left side in the old Coast Guard building, and that road deadends into the south side of the cove that LM Marina is on...but the TPW boathouse is one street back where the road splits to the left and deadends into the water and where you can find folks sometimes to talk to if there is no one at the office.

I'd also suggest you call Best Pawn in Sherman and ask them as they are largest gun shop in Grayson County.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 09/17/17 09:55 PM.

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Question about Grayson county [Re: LovinLakeLife] #6890171 09/17/17 11:22 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
You can hunt hogs with a firearm in Grayson county.

Re: Question about Grayson county [Re: ducknbass] #6890176 09/17/17 11:25 PM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted By: ducknbass

Yep, long as your not in Hagerman your good to go up

[Linked Image]
Re: Question about Grayson county [Re: Bee'z] #6890212 09/17/17 11:47 PM
L
LovinLakeLife Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: 2Beez

Not in Hagerman, just outside Whitewright
On Grayson/Fannin county lines, like the back of the property is right on the border of both

Last edited by brucet; 09/17/17 11:49 PM.
Re: Question about Grayson county [Re: blackcoal] #6890215 09/17/17 11:52 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: blackcoal
Yes you can hunt hogs with firearms.

Answer is still yes!!!!

Re: Question about Grayson county [Re: LovinLakeLife] #6890255 09/18/17 12:27 AM
B
Brian C. Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Fully legal! As mentioned Hagerman NWR is off limits. Beyond that though it is 100% legal. Just for reference in the future anyone can look up the Warden section on TPWD website and find a Warden(s) by county. Best of luck this year!

God Bless Texas!!! Godspeed our Military!
Re: Question about Grayson county [Re: LovinLakeLife] #6890300 09/18/17 01:01 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted By: brucet

Not in Hagerman, just outside Whitewright
On Grayson/Fannin county lines, like the back of the property is right on the border of both

Git er done then up

[Linked Image]
Re: Question about Grayson county [Re: LovinLakeLife] #6890450 09/18/17 03:29 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
??? Hagarman near "WHITEWRIGHT" or "WHITESBORO" ???

Never knew Hagarman's 11,700 acres that wrap around a large portion of Big Mineral Arm at Lake Texoma and north of WhitesBORO and is managed by the US Fish & Wildlife Dept, was anywhere south of Hwy 82, much less anywhere east of Sherman, 11 miles south of Bells on Hwy 69 like WhiteWRIGHT is ...I learned how to get there from my house near Little Mineral Marina on the east side of Preston Peninsula (facing the 2400 acre abomination called The Schuler Development that borders the south fenceline of Gran'Pappy's Marina) about 10-11 miles north of the Refuge Rd turnoff when I was helping plant, maintain and monitor Bluebird nest box's couple times a month in early '16...an activity that I highly encourage folks to get involved with to learn about a part of nature I never knew existed or cared about...find a great guy named Bert Garcia (the former US Attorney for Puerto Rico) and he'll set you up with a mentor.

My mentor was a guy named Don, a crusty old guy a little older than I am who also teaches other interested groups with access to a suitable locations around the state how to build nest box's, set them out correctly, maintain them and monitor these birds so tney increase their breed despite the ever shrinking natural environement.

If I was still living at Texoma I'd of continued to expand my participation in the Friends of Texoma organization that is the sponser of the Bluebird Project and many other similar nature enhancement projects...check'em out on their website, and get to see 1st hand the natural wonders that Lake Texoma has to offer...and where all the critters of every kind are and when to see them 1st hand.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 09/18/17 03:49 AM.

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: Question about Grayson county [Re: LovinLakeLife] #6890485 09/18/17 04:19 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
How fast and when are these developments supposed to start Wiley?

[Linked Image]
Re: Question about Grayson county [Re: Bee'z] #6890575 09/18/17 11:59 AM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C

I don't think they will ever happen.

Re: Question about Grayson county [Re: ChrisB] #6890578 09/18/17 12:01 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Rifle hunted hogs all my life growing up in Grayson County. Just cant use them on state and federal land.

Re: Question about Grayson county [Re: Bee'z] #6890623 09/18/17 12:49 PM
D
d.g.ruff Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

If you are talking about the Schuler Development, they've already begun. It's the sorriest, most underhanded thing I've seen done by politician's and businessmen alike, since ever! A lot of bow hunters, hog hunters, coyote hunters and duck hunters lost a lot of prime real estate. It still burns me up. That was one of the reasons I bought the house I live in now.....to be able to hunt within 5 minutes of home.
Sorry for the rant and hijack, but I'm still mad

Mmmm Hmmm
Re: Question about Grayson county [Re: LovinLakeLife] #6890666 09/18/17 01:19 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
2B...when we moved in May of '16 down here to Palestine I could occasionaly see dirt movers from the shoreline in front of my place on the west side of Little Mineral just south of the the Elks Club/Little Mineral Marina area, working on or near the ridge just south of the GranPappy's fenceline ummm behind & south of GP's boat ramp...until some dodo driver let one get away from him down that steep arsed hill and had to be pulled out of a pond with a crane. Gonna take a LOT of dirt flying & ongoing legal work to convert this natural area to a "Frisco Goes to the Lake" kinda ready to build on drive by's.

A neighbor who should know after cleaning up the Loe Family legal mess mentioned the years long ongoing EPA Lawsuits at Tanglewood kinda roadblocks to get past too, with the 3 golf courses & adjacent high rise hotels being planned for the original 2400 acre Schuler area...and that ongoing lawsuit at Tanglewood is over fertilizer pollution runoff into the lake & and it's Dallas drinking water quality usage has been ongoing for several years...but could get resolved now by the new EPA head in Washington who has a history if suing the EPA to relax the regulations over Oil Co's pollution restrictions as the State of Oklahoma AG...wonder what he'll do with the how many dozen ???? really old oil wells in the middle of Big Mineral ....that is in the middle of the Hagarman 11,700 acre Federal project...scary too to think about loosing Hagarman to oil pollution, or what it'll cost to keep Dallas's drinking water from becoming another Flint Michigan...

I never sought or kept any hard info on the Schuler development except for a CD disc handout that the Corp gave out at the Public Meeting, and have since given it away, except as curiosity as we were planning on leaving Grayson County PDQ ASAP for a laundry list of reasons that I didn't believe were ever going to get resolved with any potential for an upside if we were to stay anywhere at Lake Texoma or in the County...but my bud's around town were dropping tidbits of insights, and were already talking about the MUD water & sewer systems that were actively in planning, and next on the list was for Denison to get Denison voters to signoff on the addition to the City Limits and add the expense and management of running two different taxing entities yadda yadda yadda.

Bottom line... I'm guessing there will be nothing to actually buy & build on will happen for another several years. If you are in a hurry to buy/build there is the land project at the far west end of the lake n'west of Whitesboro and waterfront waterview lots could be had 2 years ago at Frisco/Prosper prices.

City of Denison is the big winner in the chase for more tax base, and has about 23,000 population to Sherman's 37k right now last I looked at the hwy City sign boards ...and the Schuler area by it self, in a 20 year build out, is expected to add a permanent base population of double + that 22K figure @ ummm 50+k, with another 30K of remote property owners & guests added for Holiday & summer weekends...or a total impact of about 3/4's of the total 125k Grayson County population as of the 2010 Census ...all crammed into a +/-3000 acre development...with no timates for spillover population growth out side f the Schuler Project

Denison's new High School that was just recently completed, had an orignal site location of the northwest corner of Hwy 75 & and the FM 84 caddycorner across from the Toyota/Nissan/Honda store to where it was actually built south og Hwy 75 on hwy 91 just west of Hwy 69 a little north of Denison....to preserve that 1st site for a retail and hotel complex.

Lots of other major changes imminently in store for Grayson County coming PDQ, and if I were 30 years younger I'd be digging in to get into a line of business to take advantage of all this new growth....think "Frisco at the Lake" kinda thing.
Ron

Re: Question about Grayson county [Re: LovinLakeLife] #6891012 09/18/17 06:03 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
?????????????????????????????????????

Re: Question about Grayson county [Re: ChrisB] #6891715 09/19/17 04:49 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted By: ChrisB

Same here. If it does I may make bank but I just do not see it anytime soon.

[Linked Image]
Re: Question about Grayson county [Re: Bee'z] #6891891 09/19/17 01:05 PM
D
d.g.ruff Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

It may not ever happen, as far as all the development that they've planned, but you sure CANNOT hunt over there any longer. That's the part I hate most. Depending on the year, the back of Little Mineral can be an awesome place to duck hunt. And I don't know how many guys used to deer hunt there, but it was quite a few. The same with hunting hogs. People even had traps they had to take up because of this crap. But yeah, the development part of that is pretty far fetched. I live at Simmons Shores, the last housing edition up Little Mineral creek. If they dredge that creek, put in a marina with boat ramps AND add a public boat ramp, I'd be really surprised. And probably pretty old by that time. At least I hope I'd be old. But as far as the land, it's totally unusable right now. I've even heard of their workers yelling at people walking their dogs on our side of the creek, not knowing what the heck they're talking about. I also hear/heard TPWD is supposed to replace that land with another place of suitable size/space, but haven't heard of that happening yet. And that land was taken away 2 or 3 years ago, now.

Mmmm Hmmm
Re: Question about Grayson county [Re: WileyCoyote] #6892031 09/19/17 03:15 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
??? Hagarman near "WHITEWRIGHT" or "WHITESBORO" ???

Never knew Hagarman's 11,700 acres that wrap around a large portion of Big Mineral Arm at Lake Texoma and north of WhitesBORO and is managed by the US Fish & Wildlife Dept, was anywhere south of Hwy 82, much less anywhere east of Sherman, 11 miles south of Bells on Hwy 69 like WhiteWRIGHT is ...I learned how to get there from my house near Little Mineral Marina on the east side of Preston Peninsula (facing the 2400 acre abomination called The Schuler Development that borders the south fenceline of Gran'Pappy's Marina) about 10-11 miles north of the Refuge Rd turnoff when I was helping plant, maintain and monitor Bluebird nest box's couple times a month in early '16...an activity that I highly encourage folks to get involved with to learn about a part of nature I never knew existed or cared about...find a great guy named Bert Garcia (the former US Attorney for Puerto Rico) and he'll set you up with a mentor.

My mentor was a guy named Don, a crusty old guy a little older than I am who also teaches other interested groups with access to a suitable locations around the state how to build nest box's, set them out correctly, maintain them and monitor these birds so tney increase their breed despite the ever shrinking natural environement.

If I was still living at Texoma I'd of continued to expand my participation in the Friends of Texoma organization that is the sponser of the Bluebird Project and many other similar nature enhancement projects...check'em out on their website, and get to see 1st hand the natural wonders that Lake Texoma has to offer...and where all the critters of every kind are and when to see them 1st hand.
Ron

Never saw where anyone stated white wright and haggerman where near one another.

Regardless of the geographical location of haggerman, whitesboro and whitewright. You can hunt hogs in Grayson county with a rifle.

Re: Question about Grayson county [Re: LovinLakeLife] #6892128 09/19/17 04:29 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
According to the Plan I saw presented and confirmed on the hand out disc....LM creek access from 406 will get dredged out and a new City of Denison Park of ummm 50 acres as I recall will be created on the east side from the corner in the creek across from Simmins Shores ramp, where the creek turns south just past the old GW boathouse, and underneath the Simmons Shores access road on the hill above it.

Also proposed is a dredging of the sandy creek on the east side and with boat commercial repair & storage facilities located there in the back of that creek....then some 200+ "pods" of boat slips that have 6 covered and 4 uncovered slips per pod...something around 6-800 total boat slips total on the east side of Little Mineral with access from the Schuler Project, and the shoreline that COE has leased to Schulers partner the City of Denison partner of all the shore line from GranPappys fence to Hwy 406 on the east side of LM. This ain't no pipe dream guys...just takes lots of time and money to buy who and what you need for the Master Plan in play, and signed off on by most of the necessary paperwork. The ret'd realtor next door to me was absolutely giddy and talking about getting back in the business.

Lots more details to this deal if you can dig out the data from COE or?. I don't remember seeing Joe Montgomery at the meeting...but in his current position as Lake Mgr, but he could shed some accurate info if you can get him to talk about it.

Like I said I had/have a laundry list of reasons to leave Grayson County...one of the big 3 of which has changed with the passing of my DinL last November, and released us from being her primary care taker and providing most of her logistics & post op care during her 6 years battle... this house in Dogwood City was bought & rehabbed on a Chinese Fire Drill basis to provide her the final Hospice or Rehab Care she needed coming out of the last planned brain surgery....that she did not get to have. We are about the same time and distance from here to Big Baylor and UT Swest as we were at Texoma and have a facility where we could have taken care of her ad infitum in East Texas's gentle peace and quiet without the necessity of keepinmg a loaded shotgun behind the door, and not have to put up with the 24/7 BS faldarol of living overlooking an unprotected waterfront COE park with everything that implies...PLUS I am OUTTTT of Dallas VA's service area too which was another of the big 3 Must Haves for this move, TMI TMI TMI for here.

So Ya'll have fun and see if you can get into the $$$ game that is going to convert Grayson County to look exactly like Collin County only with a biggg lake added.
Ron

Re: Question about Grayson county [Re: d.g.ruff] #6892804 09/20/17 01:59 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted By: d.g.ruff

It may not ever happen, as far as all the development that they've planned, but you sure CANNOT hunt over there any longer. That's the part I hate most. Depending on the year, the back of Little Mineral can be an awesome place to duck hunt. And I don't know how many guys used to deer hunt there, but it was quite a few. The same with hunting hogs. People even had traps they had to take up because of this crap. But yeah, the development part of that is pretty far fetched. I live at Simmons Shores, the last housing edition up Little Mineral creek. If they dredge that creek, put in a marina with boat ramps AND add a public boat ramp, I'd be really surprised. And probably pretty old by that time. At least I hope I'd be old. But as far as the land, it's totally unusable right now. I've even heard of their workers yelling at people walking their dogs on our side of the creek, not knowing what the heck they're talking about. I also hear/heard TPWD is supposed to replace that land with another place of suitable size/space, but haven't heard of that happening yet. And that land was taken away 2 or 3 years ago, now.

I too hate to hear about the hunting aspect as that is legit area back there. I am right across 289 from you less than a mile away. I just do not see them spending that much money in the near future up here when developments are going in closer to town with homes planned in the near future. They need to leave our little slice of heaven alone. Nothing north of Georgetown Rd. cheers

[Linked Image]
Re: Question about Grayson county [Re: Bee'z] #6892929 09/20/17 03:37 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
...there's a 23 acre place on the road that runs down the north side of Simmons Shores & deadends into a red gate that is the entrance to the TPW hatchery & boathouse land , past Carl Millers house back of the old welding shop off 289 that's been zoned multi family for years...and has water front access north of that last little rocky point befor LM Arm hits the no wake buoys to the right ...yadda yadda yadda People been waiting for years to cash out their land up there. I just hope my old friend lives long enough to see his dream happen.

Dunno how many acres of land Tate & David have around the shop, last I heard Tate was over here in deeep East Texas building airboats as fast as he can and looking to build another shop location further south too. Don't think David would leave Grayson County though
Ron

Re: Question about Grayson county [Re: WileyCoyote] #6892961 09/20/17 04:22 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
...there's a 23 acre place on the road that runs down the north side of Simmons Shores & deadends into a red gate that is the entrance to the TPW hatchery & boathouse land , past Carl Millers house back of the old welding shop off 289 that's been zoned multi family for years...and has water front access north of that last little rocky point befor LM Arm hits the no wake buoys to the right ...yadda yadda yadda People been waiting for years to cash out their land up there. I just hope my old friend lives long enough to see his dream happen.

Dunno how many acres of land Tate & David have around the shop, last I heard Tate was over here in deeep East Texas building airboats as fast as he can and looking to build another shop location further south too. Don't think David would leave Grayson County though
Ron

Ron, who are the One's that screwed this up. I know a few people and am just curious. Send it privately if need be but you know alot more that I do. They thought they could just move an airplane light out at perrin and that did not work out for them.

[Linked Image]
Re: Question about Grayson county [Re: LovinLakeLife] #6893341 09/20/17 04:47 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
IMO There's out of town $'s at play in Grayson County...like the Houston Oil guy that bought the Tackle Box, GranPappy's store...and GranPappy's Marina and Lighthouse Marina.

Long term I would expect to see a 4 lane bridge from GC Park across the lake to somewhere around Soldiers Creek Marina...to meet up with the 4 laner in Oklahoma that goes to Shawnee. I-35 & Hwy 75 are over loaded now with traffic for the design limits yadda yadda yadda and I just wanted out as I lived thru the Bush construction from a couple blocks away...BHDT and seen this movie before.

We moved to the lake cabin full time in '05 when I had some serious medical issues I did not see my way past to get ready for that last Roundup, but VA Dallas started carving on me, successfuly most of the time and we had these other Must Do things that we'd committed to. ie it was time to leave and find another row to hoe...as the Goal Posts had been moved.

I grew up in Dallas, with an architect for a step father who was involved in more than a few major building projects and learned the P's & Q's signs of major long term expansion. If my Step father had had his AIA License at that time, instead of doing off hours non licensed work that someone else would sign off on...like the plug and play prefab HVAC distro component system used by Fox & Jacobs on mebbe 100k? 200k? house's around the country ...I'd be clipping Bond coupons sitting on beach somewhere sipping jungle strength joy juice all day with a liver the sized of a football....He did the same thing with the design work for the prefab roof joist system too same song third verse...and got paid peanuts without a AIA License. When you could order a truckload of ready fit prefab components instead of building a roof or a HVAC system one at a time in site construction for these things you could save 60+ days construction time and build multiple house's with the same internals in a row at the same time with a single crew.

Like I said...if I was 30 years younger I'd figure out how to stay in grayson County for a while and cash in on the growth boom that's coming...OBTW go downtown and find the GC Planning Office at the Courthouse to see what Gunter is gonna look like when it's bigger than Sherman in ummm less than 10 years or so, but Lake Texoma will never look the same. FWIW my 2 sons are mid 40's and one of them has made this kinda move and gotten out of the cheap seats he's been selling for a long time @ minimum profits with a Master Sales Certification in that brand, and is selling Best Quality and already gotten his Certification to sell the restricted top of the brand product line only offered by 25% of the dealerships in the US, tapping into that boom in Collin County...mebbe he's listened and learned after all. Now I need to get the young one to listen about getting his Master's & PHD in his field and getting into the Management track, now tha he's begun to make a name with system wide 1st in district skills. Ya gotta stand out in a crowd to win the pretty girl holding the Trophy....and winners run with winners.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 09/20/17 05:04 PM.

Re: Question about Grayson county [Re: LovinLakeLife] #6895248 09/22/17 12:46 PM
D
d.g.ruff Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
2Beez- Me too, but I'm afraid that ship has sailed. I mean heck, we now have a liquor store and a Dollar General, plus a Mexican food joint, right at the entrance to both of our neighborhoods. The liquor store isn't so bad I guess, lol. And even the Dollar General has Michelob Ultra for 10.95 a 12 pack grin
Nah, I'd still rather it be like it used to. Nothing is ever as good as the "old days".

Mmmm Hmmm
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide