Forum Stats
64162 Members
45 Forums
420115 Topics
6111920 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#6987812 - 12/07/17 09:39 PM Re: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto [Re: Johnny Rocket]
Charlie Tuna Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Belton TX
Marty

Thanks for update. I was afraid it might be a little wet down by the water. See ya tomorrow afternoon.

http://bit.ly/TxQuail

#6988004 - 12/08/17 06:23 AM Re: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto [Re: Johnny Rocket]
mley1 Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Santa Fe, TX

Marty

#6988499 - 12/08/17 11:40 AM Re: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto [Re: Johnny Rocket]
mley1 Offline
Woodsman

I went out this morning, scouted some, and set up my blind. I found a spot that looked pretty good. It had what you could tell were game trails. The rain had obliterated all signs of tracks. Then I found a bobcat track, and saw the bobcat. Nice. So I found my spot. I went to the truck. Got my blind and went back to my spot. Lo and behold, less than 20ft away from where I was gonna put my blind, there’s a deer track. Nothing large, but a deer track. And it wasn’t there when I was at the spot earlier. Nice. Got my blind set up. Ranged distances. Shots will be from 20-150yrds. I’m good with that. Nothing to challenging, if they’ll show themselves. Then on the way out, less than a quarter mile away I see two pigs on the side of the road. Nice. I got some video. I saw some deer too, but they were in the no hunt zone, perfectly safe.

Marty

#6988572 - 12/08/17 12:27 PM Re: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto [Re: Johnny Rocket]
mley1 Offline
Woodsman

Marty

#6988976 - 12/08/17 04:53 PM Re: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto [Re: Johnny Rocket]
Ranch Dog Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Cuero
That snow is going to make for an unusual Refuge hunt. Good luck and thanks for the reporting! Keep it up!

#6990889 - 12/10/17 02:51 PM Re: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto [Re: Johnny Rocket]
Pro Tracker

Report?
popcorn

#6995965 - 12/14/17 09:32 AM Re: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto [Re: Johnny Rocket]
Charlie Tuna Offline
Outdoorsman

Ranch Dog, here is my report. This was my first year hunting the Refuge. It was quite the challenge figuring out how to hunt this area. The family ended up taking two hogs during the 5 day hunt. The wife sighted a small 6 point but passed on it since it was so small and young. That was the only deer we saw outside of the all the deer outside of the hunt zone. The hogs were a lot easier to hunt. Just find a rooted up area and set up shop.

This was the wifes first real deer/hog hunt. She came through like a real trooper. We dropped her hog with a single shot and preceeded to field dress and ended up skinning it herself. I had to drag her out the field on Wednesday and still she wanted to stop on the drive out when we spotted a group of hogs out off the roadside.

We thoroughly enjoyed the hunt. Had great weather even though the morning in the tripod were a little chilly. Mid day and afternoons were perfect. Some beautiful Texas Coastal Marshland. During the hunt we experience coyotes, gators, owls, and various hawks. The warden running this hunt was very helpful and professional in addressing a rookie's questions. Tent camping at Hoppers Landing worked out well. Short drive in and out from the Refuge. Nothing fancy but served the purpose. I am going to suggest to Adella to have a hog roast next year for the hunters. Looking forward to more hunts there in the future and with a little more knowledge suspect to do a little better.

#6996461 - 12/14/17 03:17 PM Re: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto [Re: Johnny Rocket]
Pro Tracker

Thanks for the report. It will be interesting to see if you can get drawn again. I really appreciate the shot of the killboard. Wish the forum had pictures from the previous hunts.

"My rule of halves" with the hunters didn't play out between day one and two. Wait, I guess it did, as 100 permits are issued for each hunt. So, yeah, still valid. I guess the weather scared 43 of them away right off the bat! A tip of the hat to both you and your wife for toughing it out.

#6996505 - 12/14/17 03:51 PM Re: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto [Re: Ranch Dog]
Charlie Tuna Offline
Outdoorsman

Originally Posted By: Ranch Dog
Thanks for the report. It will be interesting to see if you can get drawn again. I really appreciate the shot of the killboard. Wish the forum had pictures from the previous hunts.

"My rule of halves" with the hunters didn't play out between day one and two. Wait, I guess it did, as 100 permits are issued for each hunt. So, yeah, still valid. I guess the weather scared 43 of them away right off the bat! A tip of the hat to both you and your wife for toughing it out.

Yeah it was a little chilly but not that bad. I did not realize that a 100 slots were available. We had asked if we could bring a friend if there were slots available and told no. Seems they should allow that to bring in more revenue.

I am curious as well what the kill board was for the 2 prior hunts. I was wondering if the previous hunts had put too much pressure on the deer. The deer count was low. Or if the some other factor was at play.

Hope I can get back on next year as I have a better ideal on how to hunt this area.

#6996825 - 12/14/17 07:22 PM Re: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto [Re: Johnny Rocket]
Pro Tracker

I went back and checked the TWPD hunt page, and it was 300 hunters over three hunt periods. So, the same 100 a week it has always been.

I would say the success is a bit low, but this is a very hard place to hunt. I do think that ARs need to apply to the hunt as a majority of the bucks I've seen have been very young. Thinking about it, ARs would be tough to live by as most deer are not in view very long. The first hunt is better tied to the Southern Gulf Prairies and Marshes rut, but the weather is usually frontal thunderstorms halted by the offshore flow and uncomfortable temperatures. These factors tend to limit what rut activity hunters observe. Honestly, I've never viewed much of a rut at all on the Aransas.

#6997380 - 12/15/17 08:38 AM Re: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto [Re: Ranch Dog]
Charlie Tuna Offline
Outdoorsman

Originally Posted By: Ranch Dog
I went back and checked the TWPD hunt page, and it was 300 hunters over three hunt periods. So, the same 100 a week it has always been.

I would say the success is a bit low, but this is a very hard place to hunt. I do think that ARs need to apply to the hunt as a majority of the bucks I've seen have been very young. Thinking about it, ARs would be tough to live by as most deer are not in view very long. The first hunt is better tied to the Southern Gulf Prairies and Marshes rut, but the weather is usually frontal thunderstorms halted by the offshore flow and uncomfortable temperatures. These factors tend to limit what rut activity hunters observe. Honestly, I've never viewed much of a rut at all on the Aransas.

RD

What are you referencing by AR? Also what are the line on the chart tracking?

Thanks
Charles

#7000725 - 12/18/17 09:24 AM Re: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto [Re: Johnny Rocket]
mley1 Offline
Woodsman

It was a pleasure meeting you Charlie. I enjoyed my time at ANWR. I didn't see any deer while hunting, but I know they were around as I had two good trails near me, and there were deer tracks by my truck every day. I probably could've killed one sitting in my truck, lol. I made the mistake of bringing only a ground pop up blind. Don't make that mistake. The grass in most area's is way to high to hunt from the ground. Bring a tripod so you can be above the grass and see much better. The area I hunted definitely had good deer sign. It's just that my visibility was limited by hunting at ground level. Next time, I'll definitely be in a tripod.

If any of you make the trip there next year you need to be aware that there is a no hunting zone for a ways past the entry gate. DO NOT turn down any lanes or set up any stands to hunt in that area. There was a couple guys who turned down a road in that area and got stuck. They walked back to the check station, and asked for help from the game warden. They got zero help from the game warden. In fact, he wrote them a 300.00 ticket for turning down the wrong road, and being in the no hunt area. Another hunter helped them get out the next day. It was a costly lesson for them. They didn't even bother to set up anywhere and left on Sunday. They were camping up in the trailer section next to me. It was their first time there, and they had no clue they were doing anything wrong. Plus, the sign that said no hunting zone was not in a place where it was visible as you went through the gate. After complaints, they fixed that and added a sign.

Marty

#7000754 - 12/18/17 09:38 AM Re: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto [Re: mley1]
Charlie Tuna Offline
Outdoorsman

Marty

Marty my pleasure. You should have said something about wanting a tripod. I took 2 but only setup the one. Most of that was due to not having a socket wrench with me. Putting one together with a cresent wrench and pliers is slow going.

I heard their were several citations handed out. Did not hear all the details but one case where hunters were using bait to draw deer to them. This was clearly spelled out on the rules document. Also on Wednesday off of Middle Rd and Redrcok that was a burst of fire followed by several high power shots. We drove by the area in search of a downed hog we had shot and saw the game warden and a oil crew meet up followed by the game warden speeding off. I assume someone was hunting from the road or too close to the gas equipment.

Keep in touch
Charlie

Originally Posted By: mley1
It was a pleasure meeting you Charlie. I enjoyed my time at ANWR. I didn't see any deer while hunting, but I know they were around as I had two good trails near me, and there were deer tracks by my truck every day. I probably could've killed one sitting in my truck, lol. I made the mistake of bringing only a ground pop up blind. Don't make that mistake. The grass in most area's is way to high to hunt from the ground. Bring a tripod so you can be above the grass and see much better. The area I hunted definitely had good deer sign. It's just that my visibility was limited by hunting at ground level. Next time, I'll definitely be in a tripod.

If any of you make the trip there next year you need to be aware that there is a no hunting zone for a ways past the entry gate. DO NOT turn down any lanes or set up any stands to hunt in that area. There was a couple guys who turned down a road in that area and got stuck. They walked back to the check station, and asked for help from the game warden. They got zero help from the game warden. In fact, he wrote them a 300.00 ticket for turning down the wrong road, and being in the no hunt area. Another hunter helped them get out the next day. It was a costly lesson for them. They didn't even bother to set up anywhere and left on Sunday. They were camping up in the trailer section next to me. It was their first time there, and they had no clue they were doing anything wrong. Plus, the sign that said no hunting zone was not in a place where it was visible as you went through the gate. After complaints, they fixed that and added a sign.

#7001468 - 12/18/17 04:31 PM Re: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto [Re: Johnny Rocket]
Pro Tracker

Do you think you guys would stick with the late weekend or try something earlier? I've hunted all three and can't say which is best. It's simply a hard hunt.

#7002374 - 12/19/17 09:55 AM Re: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto [Re: Ranch Dog]
Charlie Tuna Offline
Outdoorsman

RD

If I had the choice I would select one of the earlier hunts. Having only hunted it once it is hard to say if the hunting pressure from the earlier hunts made the conditions tough or if it is just the nature of hunting this area. Regardless during the 3rd hunt we only saw one decent 6 point during the 5 day hunt. And for the entire hunt only 2 10pt bucks were taken.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide