Forum Stats
62662 Members
46 Forums
438300 Topics
6036928 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6888271 - 09/15/17 09:58 AM Thermal Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For Hog, Kills Him
Double Naught Spy Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
...and it was recorded on video.

http://www.wyff4.com/article/shot-that-k...rs-say/12239667

There are a lot of ways to critique this. I have already seen comments about how the victim should not have been on all fours. I find that rather preposterous. There may be all sorts of reasons for being down on the ground, be it going through a fence, trying to find something dropped in the dark, stalking, going through brush where the only way through is by going low, etc.

People get mistaken for other game with alarming regularity by hunters NOT using thermal and who weren't on all fours. So I have trouble thinking this is the cause of the incident.

More than ever, the cause would appear to be what is typical. The shooter failed to identify the target properly and pulled the trigger. From the brief description of the video in the article, investigators could not identify the victim in the video either, describing him as being an outline of something on all fours.

NOTE: The scope in the article is NOT the scope used by the shooter, same brand, but not even a thermal scope.

#6888366 - 09/15/17 11:21 AM Re: Thermal Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For Hog, Kills Him [Re: Double Naught Spy]
Pig_Popper Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Fort Worth
I wonder what the distance was on the shot - we've discussed ID versus detection for years on these and other forums and unfortunately this illustrates the point.

#6888369 - 09/15/17 11:21 AM Re: Thermal Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For Hog, Kills Him [Re: Double Naught Spy]
SapperTitan Online   content
Taking Requests

Loc: Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
SMDH

#6888375 - 09/15/17 11:23 AM Re: Thermal Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For Hog, Kills Him [Re: Double Naught Spy]
Taking Requests

How was he hog hunting on private property by himself but was shot by another hunter on the same property?

#6888381 - 09/15/17 11:28 AM Re: Thermal Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For Hog, Kills Him [Re: SapperTitan]
der Teufel Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Central Texas
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
How was he hog hunting on private property by himself but was shot by another hunter on the same property?

The article said all hunters had permission to be on the property.
Where I hunt there are bow hunters during deer season, and they hunt separately in different areas. It would seem that these two were hunting independently and happened to unknowingly come across each other.

#6888383 - 09/15/17 11:29 AM Re: Thermal Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For Hog, Kills Him [Re: SapperTitan]
Double Naught Spy Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
Simple, it was likely a game ranch of some sort, or lease, where there are multiple hunters on the property, but they hunters are not 'with' each other.

My buddy has a lease where there are 10 members. He goes and hunts by himself. Sometimes on the 2000 acre property, he will find out that another member is there. Maybe he sees that member at camp, sees a truck parked at a trail head, etc. They aren't together. They aren't hunting together. They are by themselves, but on the same property.

#6888418 - 09/15/17 11:57 AM Re: Thermal Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For Hog, Kills Him [Re: Double Naught Spy]
Taking Requests

Makes sense. When I read by himself I thought they meant he was the only hunter on the property at the time.

#6888462 - 09/15/17 12:26 PM Re: Thermal Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For Hog, Kills Him [Re: Double Naught Spy]
DocHorton Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: DFW
Not the first time it has happened. I know of another case recently in Texas.....sad, but always preventable.

#6888474 - 09/15/17 12:37 PM Re: Thermal Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For Hog, Kills Him [Re: Double Naught Spy]
HansETX Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: Ben Wheeler, TX
Very sad story.. my heart goes out to all involved.. when I was younger I was accidentally shot by another hunter on the same property. We were dove hunting in the same field and I went to retrieve an injured bird that I shot. When I walked over to pickup the bird it tried to fly off and another hunter shot at it, hitting me and the bird. I guess he didn't see me. We weren't hunting togther but they we had to dig out a bee bee on my face an inch under my left eye. Then blast was so powerful that it knocked me on my butt.. I hate hunting on other people's property for this very reason.

Edited by HansETX (09/15/17 12:39 PM)

#6890727 - 09/18/17 08:53 AM Re: Thermal Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For Hog, Kills Him [Re: HansETX]
blackcoal Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: 60 Mi North of DFW
Originally Posted By: HansETX
Very sad story.. my heart goes out to all involved.. when I was younger I was accidentally shot by another hunter on the same property. We were dove hunting in the same field and I went to retrieve an injured bird that I shot. When I walked over to pickup the bird it tried to fly off and another hunter shot at it, hitting me and the bird. I guess he didn't see me. We weren't hunting togther but they we had to dig out a bee bee on my face an inch under my left eye. Then blast was so powerful that it knocked me on my butt.. I hate hunting on other people's property for this very reason.

I thought everyone knew to be careful around Dick Cheney?? violin

#6890752 - 09/18/17 09:12 AM Re: Thermal Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For Hog, Kills Him [Re: Double Naught Spy]
HansETX Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: Ben Wheeler, TX
Haha!! For sure...

#6890825 - 09/18/17 10:09 AM Re: Thermal Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For Hog, Kills Him [Re: Double Naught Spy]
pigplinker Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Ben Wheeler,Tx
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Simple, it was likely a game ranch of some sort, or lease, where there are multiple hunters on the property, but they hunters are not 'with' each other.

My buddy has a lease where there are 10 members. He goes and hunts by himself. Sometimes on the 2000 acre property, he will find out that another member is there. Maybe he sees that member at camp, sees a truck parked at a trail head, etc. They aren't together. They aren't hunting together. They are by themselves, but on the same property.

We hunt on a large lease, and most are on different schedules. Especially Me. I make a point to contact our main guy to see if anybody else is there. It is sad for the loss and life changing event for the shooter.

When I was just starting to hunt alone I was hunting some public land and had a man come through some brush. I did not see any orange on him until he was standing in the shooting lane and my crosshairs on him. I quickly pulled off of him about the time we saw each other and we both almost had a heart attack. I take target ID as the most crucial task for any hunter to do. It has been over 40 yrs since, but I still can see the look on his face. I know it scare 10 yrs out of him, but it made a lasting impression on me too. No trophy is worth the life of another. I pray that everyone that reads this article will reevaluate their own practices.

#6894063 - 09/20/17 11:23 PM Re: Thermal Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For Hog, Kills Him [Re: SapperTitan]
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew

Loc: Grayson County
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Many farmers and landowners give permission to several people or groups. They want the hogs gone

#6894281 - 09/21/17 09:20 AM Re: Thermal Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For Hog, Kills Him [Re: Double Naught Spy]
oaktreeplanter Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Spanish Fort
As a hunter's safety instructor I read of many accidents each year. Hunting always involves risk, but hunting at night when there are other people involved compounds the risk. One old man I used to hog hunt with using dogs wouldn't allow anyone to carry a gun. He wasn't worried about the hogs getting him just other people.

#6894447 - 09/21/17 11:29 AM Re: Thermal Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For Hog, Kills Him [Re: Double Naught Spy]
Taking Requests

I understand how hunting works guys. I'm just saying the way it was worded made it sound like he was the only one there on that private property. It's worded "hunting on private property by himself"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide