Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: change of neck tension [Re: TackDriver] #6875909 09/01/17 09:32 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
The cold weld is intriguing. I'm sure there is something to it. I grew up working in my dads welding shop. In retrospect, the concept of like metals bonding to one another was nothing new to him. The term was "gallded". "Don't put those together. If you got to take it apart they will be gallded tight".
Tackdriver, when I scrapped the ss pins I was loading an old reliable 7-08 load that I used too shoot at distance with some buddies. There is usually a little low stakes wagering involved. My wallet was lighter when I left. I went back to the Lyman and corn cobb. It wasn't as consistent for me, but it was a load I had worked up with different case prep. I didn't chrono the ammo with the squeaky clean brass or try to tweak things to see if I could make it work for what I wanted. I had just got my feelings hurt and that was the end of that. So I haven't done enough work to say much other than it can change things. How it will work with your load is a try and see. Hopefully it will do well. Just don't put any money on it before you try it....

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: change of neck tension [Re: TackDriver] #6886737 09/14/17 01:36 AM
K
Kawabuggy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
Couple things I'm picking up from reading this thread so far...

You guys are discussing neck tension, and or the tension required to seat, or even pull the bullet. One thing on this subject sticks in my mind. Let's say you close the ID of the neck up to exactly .003" smaller than the OD of the bullet for 100 rounds.. But, lets say 20 of those brass casings were trimmed SHORTER than the other 80.. Would this not have an effect on the force required to both seat, and/or pull the bullet? If you are trying to keep each round exactly the same I think trimming all brass to the exact same length each time, every time, must play a part in this. Maybe you guys already do this and that is why it was not discussed. If that's the case, my bad for being the slow one at the conference.

Next... In my mind a lot of this neck tension/bullet hold stuff can easily be lost when you think about it this way... When the primer ignites the powder, the bullet begins moving forward instantly until it contacts the lands and then provides some resistance. In my mind as soon as the bullet contacts the lands it momentarily slows down from the speed it was traveling right before it hit the lands.. At this moment, when the bullet begins to enter the neck of the chamber, and it gets tight, at that moment the pressure then blows the case in all directions such that the case is an exact fit inside the chamber. In my mind, once that case expands outward, there is no part of the cartridge neck that is still touching the bullet at all. Unless of course you have a custom chamber that is so tight that the neck of the brass cartridge cannot expand outward. My point being, once that neck blows out in all directions away from the bullet the expanding pressure behind the bullet is the only thing acting to drive the bullet further into the neck of the barrel. So, if you could slow down the firing of a round into frames and view them I think we could see this in action.

My question is, how much does neck tension really play in all of this since it is OUT of the equation as soon as the bullet moves forward enough to engage the lands? If you guys are saying that the initial movement of the bullet out of the case going towards the lands is what is being discussed as to how it affects everything that happens after that, then I can kind of see how one leads into another. It seems like such a small role, but apparently it is significant in the rest of the cycle.

A hog is nothing more than a bullet receptacle.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide