Page 1 of 2 1 2
Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood #6883687 09/11/17 03:00 AM
S
SapperTitan Online Content OP
Taking Requests
OP Online Content
Taking Requests
S
Was out doing maintenance on some deer stands and trimming lanes for the coming season in the area I guide in and as I was about to leave I heard a gun shot. Where I was at is pretty close to private property so I decided to drive down the road a little ways to see if I heard another shot but as I come around a sharp bend in the road there is a white F250 taking up the whole road. I stopped and realized there was a woman standing in front of the truck and thought she might need help so I got out to ask if she was alright and then this guy comes walking out of the woods with a rifle to my right. He says hey man I just shot a coyote and I just said oh cool but do you realize this area is closed and off limits for hunting due to troops being in the area training? He tried to play dumb and said he didn't know he was on Ft Hood property and the coyote was after his dog and blah blah blah. I just said ok and went to my truck where I wrote down his license plate as he left. I waited a few minutes and then went to look in the woods where I found a dead coyote pup so I got the grid coordinates along with the grid coordinates where his truck was parked. Called the GW to report him and he took all the info then said I may get suspended from hunting for 7 days for approaching the guy after he does his report and his boss reads it. I said I didn't intentionally approach the guy but that he came out of the woods right next to me. Either way if I had just called and reported hearing a shot without knowing if it was even on FT Hood property they would have just blew me off and thats why I went to check first. I figured if I seen a truck parked off the road I could just get the license plate and drive by then call the GW so they could get him in the act but it didn't work out like that. The rules he broke were having a weapon on Ft Hood, being in a closed area, no area access pass, poaching, hunting with a rifle in a limited range area (Bow, shotgun and blackpowder) and hunting from a public road. Hopefully the GW can track him down with the info I gathered and hopefully they understand the incident and don't get suspended and possibly lose my guide privileges. I guess for now on ill just call the GW and not try to investigate at all on my own.

Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: SapperTitan] #6883727 09/11/17 03:34 AM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Sorry, not understanding. Why would you be suspended for approaching? This is a new one to me.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: Dalroo] #6883732 09/11/17 03:38 AM
S
Taking Requests
OP Online Content
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: Dalroo
Sorry, not understanding. Why would you be suspended for approaching? This is a new one to me.
Apparently its a Ft Hood rule they don't want anyone approaching poachers or anyone doing anything wrong in the training areas I guess. Best I can figure is its just a safety thing they don't want any altercations or incidents bc of someone approaching someone.

Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: SapperTitan] #6883736 09/11/17 03:42 AM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Thanks - I understand now.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: Dalroo] #6883738 09/11/17 03:44 AM
S
Taking Requests
OP Online Content
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: Dalroo
Thanks - I understand now.
I feel like as long as I get to tell my side of the story I shouldn't be suspended, I mean its not like I drove up and tried to apprehend him or something. I didn't ever even intend to make contact with the guy but when I seen the woman in front of the truck I figured I should ask if she needed anything.

Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: SapperTitan] #6883739 09/11/17 03:45 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
popcorn

....keep us updated please sir...

FWIW I'd suggest you look up a guy with a handle on TFF & THF of "SallySue" who is now or has guided on Fort property in the past. Lives very near Temple Lake Park...and get him to help 'splain what's going on with the the GW's attitude....and anything else about this incident that'd be helpful to you. The guy in the Ford truck sounds like you describd him "a poacher" and mebbe the GW's thinking is that you are some how mixed up in those going's on.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: WileyCoyote] #6883744 09/11/17 03:52 AM
S
Taking Requests
OP Online Content
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
popcorn

....keep us updated please sir...

FWIW I'd suggest you look up a guy with a handle on TFF & THF of "SallySue" who is now or has guided on Fort property in the past. Lives very near Temple Lake Park...and get him to help 'splain what's going on with the the GW's attitude....and anything else about this incident that'd be helpful to you. The guy in the Ford truck sounds like you describd him "a poacher" and mebbe the GW's thinking is that you are some how mixed up in those going's on.
Ron
I don't think he thinks I had anything to do with it. I have made reports with this GW before when I caught people dumping on FT Hood property in my area. I think he is just pissed I approached him bc he thinks he would have been able to catch him in the act if I hadn't. I have my areas chief guide and the chief guide of guides who will have my back. I was kind of in the wrong technically for making contact with the guy but once I got out of the truck to check on the woman it was out of my hands and he approached me. I played it cool so he wouldn't know I was gonna report him bc I didn't know his history or how he would act if he thought I was gonna turn him in. I think I have a solid defense for the most part since I didn't go looking for trouble.

I think I'm going to go talk to the chief GW tomorrow just to be proactive about it.

Last edited by SapperTitan; 09/11/17 03:53 AM.
Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: SapperTitan] #6883772 09/11/17 06:26 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
That sounds pretty dumb. Only issue would be looking for the game. Hopefully nothing comes of it.

Knowing nothing of the access there, how do they get on the place in the first place?

Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: SapperTitan] #6883907 09/11/17 01:26 PM
D
d.g.ruff Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Well that would suck...try to do something right and end up getting punished. I hope it works out for you.

Mmmm Hmmm
Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: Txduckman] #6883945 09/11/17 02:05 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Called the GW to report him and he took all the info then said I may get suspended from hunting for 7 days for approaching the guy after he does his report and his boss reads it

No good deed... mad

Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Knowing nothing of the access there, how do they get on the place in the first place?

This. Is there a back gate that's not monitored, or a fenceless boundary of some sort?

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: SapperTitan] #6883999 09/11/17 02:52 PM
W
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Dang, I hope it turn out ok. The truck was in the middle of the road..period

Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #6884011 09/11/17 03:00 PM
S
Taking Requests
OP Online Content
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Called the GW to report him and he took all the info then said I may get suspended from hunting for 7 days for approaching the guy after he does his report and his boss reads it

No good deed... mad

Originally Posted By: Txduckman

This. Is there a back gate that's not monitored, or a fenceless boundary of some sort?
yes there is a road leading into the training areas that is not monitored. You can't get into the garrison part of Ft Hood without going through a gate or checkpoint but there are multiple roads into the training areas that aren't monitored.

Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: SapperTitan] #6884084 09/11/17 04:18 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Having a sitdown with the GW Spvr IMO is a great idea...might even take your Guide program Spvr too... or even another "credible witness" kinda person....especially if that GW you've gotten some "feedback" from is also gonna be there.

Lake Belton area was the 1st place we looked at in depth to buy a house almost 5 years ago now. Just couldn't get mine at Texoma sold in a timely manner to make it happen...and the then the ante with the DinL's more pressing needs changed everything. Anyway always thought the Ft Hood guides program was a neat deal to get involved with, after talking with SallySue several times...so I have more than a passing interest in how this works out for you.

IMO the Lake Belton area still fits our needs better than any other area else we looked at now that the DinL's needs are no longer an issue again, and I need to get closer to Temples facilities...and might still be possible if I get tired enough of fixin' on this old house in Palestine....or having to commute to Olin Teague or BS&W or Waco more regularly than I am now.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: SapperTitan] #6884110 09/11/17 04:35 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
"yes there is a road leading into the training areas that is not monitored. You can't get into the garrison part of Ft Hood without going through a gate or checkpoint but there are multiple roads into the training areas that aren't monitored."

I've hunted on Camp Bullis and there is no way you can get onto the property without going through a check point. All perimeter access roads have locked gates.
Makes no sense to leave access to the public during these times post 911 especially.
I'd say the poaching problem is on them....No excuse!
And they want to suspend you?.. loco

Last edited by Jimbo; 09/11/17 04:39 PM.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: SapperTitan] #6884133 09/11/17 04:47 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

yes there is a road leading into the training areas that is not monitored. You can't get into the garrison part of Ft Hood without going through a gate or checkpoint but there are multiple roads into the training areas that aren't monitored.

Seriously?? Sounds like a recipe for disaster....

Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: DocHorton] #6884141 09/11/17 04:57 PM
S
Taking Requests
OP Online Content
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: DocHorton

Ft Hood was taken from civilians these same people off spring are still using the land for their cattle operations. There are prob 5 or more main roads into the training areas so the ranchers can avoid the Garrison and so people recreating can avoid driving through the garrison as well. Its always been like that.

Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: SapperTitan] #6884152 09/11/17 05:16 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Ft Hood was taken from civilians these same people off spring are still using the land for their cattle operations. There are prob 5 or more main roads into the training areas so the ranchers can avoid the Garrison and so people recreating can avoid driving through the garrison as well. Its always been like that.

Gotcha. Was just surprised the access to the land is that easy.

Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: DocHorton] #6884178 09/11/17 05:35 PM
S
Taking Requests
OP Online Content
Taking Requests
S

Gotcha. Was just surprised the access to the land is that easy.
I kinda feel the same way but some of these access points are 45 minute drives from the garrison part of Ft Hood where the soldiers work daily. Also Belton Lake Outdoor Recreation Area is right across the street from my area and its open to the public. Poaching and stealing of equipment like feeders and game cams has been a major problem in the past and still is. We had a 4x6 deer stand stolen from our area a few months ago. Its a shame and I wish they would either man that entrance or atlas occasionally man it just to catch violators.

Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: SapperTitan] #6885054 09/12/17 03:43 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
If people can get into a property with little fear of being caught they will press their luck.
Only locked gates will slightly deter them.
Ft Hood would do well, and even the cattle guy if they would get together and put a combination lock on the gates to slow the traffic, but sounds like too many people have free access to the property so it is what it is, a poachers paradise.
Good luck with the suspension since it's called CYA in the military.

Last edited by Jimbo; 09/12/17 03:56 PM.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: SapperTitan] #6885501 09/12/17 10:49 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
locks only keep honest people out...

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: SapperTitan] #6885519 09/12/17 11:09 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
You didnt approach him!! You said it yourself. He blocked the road so what could you do but stop. Then he came out of the woods.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: SapperTitan] #6885685 09/13/17 01:38 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Update??????? popcorn

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: SapperTitan] #6885693 09/13/17 01:43 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I wonder if they will suspend that guys license for approaching you from the woods. You could have been a poacher just as well as him, how are you supposed to know?
And you are correct, the GW probably would not have investigated. We had a guy shoot a deer from the road on my brothers place. He tried to catch up to him but the shooter had a big head start. We had a dead deer and found two others, also near the road. The GW said there was nothing he do if we couldn't identify the vehicle, he wouldn't even come out. So I suppose we are going to have to approach a poacher close enough to identify him/vehicle, a Catch 22.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: SapperTitan] #6885712 09/13/17 01:57 AM
S
Taking Requests
OP Online Content
Taking Requests
S
I didn't go up there bc I was busy today. I may go tomorrow or I may just wait and see what happens. I truly think he only said I could be suspended so that I won't end up in that situation again. I was thinking what I could have done different but there isn't much I could have done different except maybe turn around or back out when I seen the truck and then call the GW but at that point I didn't know the shot I heard came from that truck. This rule kind of puts the guy doing the right thing in a tough spot if he wants to trim someone in. I mean what good can you do if you just report a shot but have no vehicle description, license plate, description of occupants?

Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: SapperTitan] #6885781 09/13/17 02:47 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Probably a false imprisonment concern thing; If I suspect poaching or poacher I'm backing out to safe distance and making a phone call to authrities. If someone is willing to poach who says they are not willing to shoot someone. That would be my approach on/off my property.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide