Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: DQ Kid] #6885788 09/13/17 02:53 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline OP
Taking Requests
OP Offline
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
Probably a false imprisonment concern thing; If I suspect poaching or poacher I'm backing out to safe distance and making a phone call to authrities. If someone is willing to poach who says they are not willing to shoot someone. That would be my approach on/off my property.
Its not like I took him to the ground and zip tied him lmao. If I could have been certain the shot came from the training area and not private property then I certainly would have just called the GW and just told him where I heard it and then maybe drove into the woods a little ways and tried to get a vehicle description when and if they drove by.

Last edited by SapperTitan; 09/13/17 02:53 AM.
Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: SapperTitan] #6885796 09/13/17 03:02 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Sapper I believe the legal definition of false imprisonment is far less than detaining or restraining someone if I recall Business Law accurately. Not saying I agree or disagree with the approach you took.

Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: DQ Kid] #6885802 09/13/17 03:10 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline OP
Taking Requests
OP Offline
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
Sapper I believe the legal definition of false imprisonment is far less than detaining or restraining someone if I recall Business Law accurately. Not saying I agree or disagree with the approach you took.
I know I was kidding. I think its just more of a safety thing and they want to catch the guys in the act so someone making contact with them is likely to scare them off the property before the GW can get to the location.

Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: SapperTitan] #6886924 09/14/17 11:13 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Pics of the poachers license plates that had some sort of idenifying feature in the frame tree /rock/ vista / beer can or other unique to the location item IMO would go a long way to proving who was where and when...and allow you not to have to approach or interact with the guy.

Also any pics of blood on the ground at impact site/ gut pile / shell casing/ unique tire tracks/ beer cans etc with fingerprints is what made a difference to an incident my chest thumping BinL took too far with a poaching neighbor one time that wound up in court. That was a bad deal all around but got worse in court when everybody's but the BinL was interrelated or long term voters in that small population County. Here anyway you are the designated or authorized person for any hunting activities on that piece of Federal ground. Take care with who's toes get stepped on would be my only other advice...but then you already know that.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: SapperTitan] #6887087 09/14/17 02:32 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I think it was the gubermint that coined CYA, and "it runs down hill!"

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: WileyCoyote] #6887099 09/14/17 02:38 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline OP
Taking Requests
OP Offline
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
Pics of the poachers license plates that had some sort of idenifying feature in the frame tree /rock/ vista / beer can or other unique to the location item IMO would go a long way to proving who was where and when...and allow you not to have to approach or interact with the guy.

Also any pics of blood on the ground at impact site/ gut pile / shell casing/ unique tire tracks/ beer cans etc with fingerprints is what made a difference to an incident my chest thumping BinL took too far with a poaching neighbor one time that wound up in court. That was a bad deal all around but got worse in court when everybody's but the BinL was interrelated or long term voters in that small population County. Here anyway you are the designated or authorized person for any hunting activities on that piece of Federal ground. Take care with who's toes get stepped on would be my only other advice...but then you already know that.
Ron

I have pics of the kill and exact grid coordinates but the GW didn't want either of them. He acted like he wasn't interested in catching the guy if he could catch him in the act.

Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: SapperTitan] #6888334 09/15/17 04:04 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I'm not surprised at the GW's disinterest, since he was not personally involved, from what has been said about the Open Gate policy on that access point and public's apparent abuse use of the area.

My experience at Texoma with Texas GW's was very mixed...a couple of them were great guys and open & welcoming to civilan reports...but there was a couple who you knew were going to be a problem anytime they approached you.

One of them used to jog thru my neighborhood from the GW building & boat launch around the corner from my house in the back of the Little Mineral Marina, and I always greeted him by name to make him look at me as he ran to establish a "I am a Local an Live Here" identity, and continued that everytime I saw him anytime he was in uniform anywhere, even with his wife when they were shopping garage sales and still in uniform....hard to know when they are On & Off duty when in uniform & armed.

Just Sayin' I'd definitely follow up with the Fort's Guide Program Spvr, but keep on being as attentive in your assigned area as instructed by your guy.

The road network in the pic sure looks familiar...but I'd have to see it's realtionship to the water to be sure. We looked at the area off Waterworks Rd and further back east too toward Hanks....
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: SapperTitan] #6888420 09/15/17 04:59 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I may have told this story before but we use to own and live on a 600 acre ranch about half a mile from Ft Hood. One evening right at dark I was down on my property and heard a helicopter overhead. Next thing I know it drops down maybe 200 feet above my truck and hit me with blinding lights. I kept driving and they followed me to my barn. I pulled in under the barn and they dropped down to about 20 feet off the ground trying to shine their spotlight on me - it was a Blackhawk - they then turned their lights off and went back up around 100 feet and hovered. So I started driving towards my house which sat up on a hill. They immediately followed me again with their light on.

As I pulled into my house a truck was coming down my driveway - it was the game warden and he jumped out and started waiving the Blackhawk to leave. I asked him what the hell was going on and he said they thought they were over Ft Hood property and that I was a poacher. Talk about mad - I called the base the next day and spoke to some commander to file a complaint. It was ridiculous. He promised me he would discipline the two pilots.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: SapperTitan] #6889719 09/17/17 01:54 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Fact of life--what one person considers important does not matter to others. over 90% of posts about coyotes and hogs are the same on this forum--kill them all. So someone shoots a coyote and now he is an evil person?? I'm confused.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: blackcoal] #6889738 09/17/17 02:07 PM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: blackcoal
Fact of life--what one person considers important does not matter to others. over 90% of posts about coyotes and hogs are the same on this forum--kill them all. So someone shoots a coyote and now he is an evil person?? I'm confused.

This thread is more about where it was killed, not that it was killed.

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: decook] #6889744 09/17/17 02:15 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline OP
Taking Requests
OP Offline
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: decook
Originally Posted By: blackcoal

This thread is more about where it was killed, not that it was killed.
exactly. In a closed area where troops were training and it's also a no rifle area. Only reason I was allowed in there is bc I was doing maintenance on existing equipment which is allowed. Also if he is will to illegally hunt and shoot a coyote chances are he would do the same to a deer if he seen it.

Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: SapperTitan] #6889761 09/17/17 02:30 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
What is confusing about this whole deal to me, is if it is Government land or is it leased by the Government?
I hunted on Camp Bullis near San Antonio, and it is all Government land.
I knew of an incident where a guy was caught on the post where he wasn't suppossed to be, and he was kicked off the property and then had the FBI show up at his door the next day.
No matter the circumstances, just letting poachers come and go as they please is a bit laughable.

Last edited by Jimbo; 09/17/17 02:34 PM.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Caught a guy poaching on Ft Hood [Re: Jimbo] #6889773 09/17/17 02:42 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline OP
Taking Requests
OP Offline
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
What is confusing about this whole deal to me, is if it is Government land or is it leased by the Government?
I hunted on Camp Bullis near San Antonio, and it is all Government land.
I knew of an incident where a guy was caught on the post where he wasn't suppossed to be, and he was kicked off the property and then had the FBI show up at his door the next day.
No matter the circumstances, just letting poachers come and go as they please is a bit laughable.

Ft Hood is way bigger than Bullis there is no way to control everyone who comes and goes and there is also a lot of lake access on Ft Hood from Belton lake. Poachers will find a way to poach that's what they do. We have reported people in the past and they were caught. Usually it's soldiers who are poaching and usually from a vehicle in a non rifle area with a rifle. The guy I encountered was a solder could tell by his haircut, the way he talked and the fact he had his patrol cap on the dash.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide