Print Thread
lab with gland issues #6881090 09/07/17 04:01 PM
G
Guns Up Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
anyone have issues with a lab every couple months having gland issues? if so, any advice on how to stop it? i read diet is a big deal. thanks

Re: lab with gland issues [Re: Guns Up] #6884028 09/11/17 03:24 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: Guns Up
anyone have issues with a lab every couple months having gland issues? if so, any advice on how to stop it? i read diet is a big deal. thanks

The diet doesn't make the anal glands stink. Softer stools due to a lack of fiber or other various reasons cause them to not express themselves naturally. They should be naturally expressed when the dog squats and strains to push out solid stool.

With that said - one of our labs is a "walker" - meaning he's too ADD to slow down, stop, and take the time to poop (perfectly good solid stool..he just ain't got time for that). This causes the anal glads to not get fully expressed. Usually they'll decide to express themselves A. in the middle of the night with his butt in our face on the bed B. Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any other important family function C. at any other inopportune time.

It's really no big deal if they're expressing themselves on their own. Your vet may teach you how to express them if you ask - it isn't very hard to do - but the more you manually express them - the more you're going to have to manually express them.

Re: lab with gland issues [Re: Cochise] #6885509 09/12/17 11:01 PM
G
Guns Up Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted By: Cochise
Originally Posted By: Guns Up

The diet doesn't make the anal glands stink. Softer stools due to a lack of fiber or other various reasons cause them to not express themselves naturally. They should be naturally expressed when the dog squats and strains to push out solid stool.

With that said - one of our labs is a "walker" - meaning he's too ADD to slow down, stop, and take the time to poop (perfectly good solid stool..he just ain't got time for that). This causes the anal glads to not get fully expressed. Usually they'll decide to express themselves A. in the middle of the night with his butt in our face on the bed B. Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any other important family function C. at any other inopportune time.

It's really no big deal if they're expressing themselves on their own. Your vet may teach you how to express them if you ask - it isn't very hard to do - but the more you manually express them - the more you're going to have to manually express them.

thanks, im thinking we need to try a better food.

Re: lab with gland issues [Re: Guns Up] #6893337 09/20/17 04:46 PM
J
JenvyBritts Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
i second all that's mentioned above. What do you feed? I'd try switching, gradually, to another brand and maybe different protein source and see if that helps. You can also add fiber like plain pumpkin (not pie mix) to the food.
If it's still an issue, there are products you can buy that will help, such as Glandex, which is a powder that adds fiber and is suppose to help with anal gland issues.
Hope that helps and you find a solution!

Jenvy Brittanys & Show Handling
www.freewebs.com/jenvy
GCH Kountrytyme Mtn Of Fire N Ice CGC CA JH "Jenna"
CH Caliah Jenvy's Lake of Eden JH "Eden"

Re: lab with gland issues [Re: JenvyBritts] #6893813 09/21/17 12:07 AM
G
Guns Up Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted By: JenvyBritts
i second all that's mentioned above. What do you feed? I'd try switching, gradually, to another brand and maybe different protein source and see if that helps. You can also add fiber like plain pumpkin (not pie mix) to the food.
If it's still an issue, there are products you can buy that will help, such as Glandex, which is a powder that adds fiber and is suppose to help with anal gland issues.
Hope that helps and you find a solution!

we feed science diet, but the more i read, the worse it sounds. we are currently looking to go to a better grain free food. any recommendations?
i will look into the glandex. Thanks!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide