6036553 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6872358 - 08/29/17 07:10 AM New gun purchase thoughts.... need help
jbaker33 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Tyler, Texas
Let me start by saying this may be a little lengthy but im in a pickle and need some advice from fellow THF'rs...

Start with this... i am an avid duck hunter out of east texas, can count on one hand how many trips i have not limited out the past 2 years. I have alway shot on the cheaper end of guns from an 870 to a mossberg to last years stoeger 3500... im finally at a point to get a nice shotgun to tote. First instinct as i walked in to bass pro last weekend and with full intentions on purchasing, browning a5 or a maxus... after talking with multiple sales guys, they diverted my attentio. To the new beretta a4000. Then found myself looking at the franchi affinity... being the cheapscape i am with finances it really caught my eye as my fiance will soon be getting into the hunting world... hmm 2 franchis for price of 1 a5 or maxus. So now i am at a crossroad. Not a whole lot of reviews out there on the franchi affinity 3 or 3.5 (except its the same set up as benelli inertia system with out the rubberized and ergonomics of the sbe2) but plenty on the browning lines and beretta. Anyone have some input on the thoughts. Knowing that you would be buying 2 guns within the start of the season, what direction would you go. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

#6872361 - 08/29/17 07:22 AM Re: New gun purchase thoughts.... need help [Re: jbaker33]
reeltexan Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Ovilla - TEXAS

The primary issue is: which gun fit best?
It helps if someone that truly knows gun fit can watch you mount ANY gun you want to buy.
It doesn't matter what you pay if you can't hit anything with it.

As far as price...you know you get what you pay for. Nothing ruins a hunt quicker than a busted gun, even if it cost a few bucks less.
If you're planning on owning this gun for a good number of years, how much extra per year is the better firearm?

Just .02.

"Count that day lost whose low, descending sun
Is not, in part, obscured by powder from my gun"
B. Spiller

#6872363 - 08/29/17 07:24 AM Re: New gun purchase thoughts.... need help [Re: jbaker33]
Barny Topwater Online   content
red bone Bob

Loc: New Braunfels TX USA
If the Franchi fits you, by that I mean when you shoulder the gun you are looking straight down the barrel, then buy it. I would let the fiancé shoot the 3500, if it's a gas operated semi auto. The reason is the inertia shotguns kick more than the gas jobs. That's if you want her to keep hunting with you. If not buy her a 10 ga. SxS and feed it 3 1/2" mag shells roflmao
There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE

#6872382 - 08/29/17 07:32 AM Re: New gun purchase thoughts.... need help [Re: Barny Topwater]
HCHunter28 Offline
Bird Dog

I'd get the Maxus out of the choices provided.

#6872385 - 08/29/17 07:34 AM Re: New gun purchase thoughts.... need help [Re: jbaker33]
topwater13 Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Wise County
I have an older franchi gas gun (712).....it shoots great and has never failed in over 5k rounds. I just bought the new A5 last year....now the franchi is a loaner. I too wanted the a400 when it first came out, but after handling, the gun felt clumsily wide and did not fit me well. I love the a5 and put it through hell last winter. 5 degree goose hunts....waist deep duck hunts, rain and snow....I dropped it in a bout 2' of water chasing a wounded duck, picked it up and emptied out the water and the gun never missed a beat. Also, the A5 is based of the SBE2 mechanism as the patent ran out...easiest gun to clean and it will shoot any load without issue.

Edited by topwater13 (08/29/17 07:34 AM)

#6872397 - 08/29/17 07:48 AM Re: New gun purchase thoughts.... need help [Re: jbaker33]
68A Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: North Texas
You can count on one hand the trips you have not limited in the last two years but, you feel the need to buy a new gun. Why? Obviously whatever you're shooting now works.

#6872407 - 08/29/17 07:55 AM Re: New gun purchase thoughts.... need help [Re: 68A]
Barny Topwater Online   content
red bone Bob

Loc: New Braunfels TX USA
Originally Posted By: 68A
You can count on one hand the trips you have not limited in the last two years but, you feel the need to buy a new gun. Why? Obviously whatever you're shooting now works.

Because he wants one!! and everybody knows . Ducks killed with a $1600. gun are deader than those killed with an $800 gun confused2
There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE

#6872413 - 08/29/17 07:58 AM Re: New gun purchase thoughts.... need help [Re: jbaker33]
syncerus Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
I have a Franchi Intensity (the 3.5" Affinity) and it is a **great** gun. Bear in mind that the Franchi is not a gas gun, which has positives and negatives. The negative is that the gas guns are supposedly softer shooting, while the positive is that it's an amazingly easy shotgun to keep clean.

Personally, I find the Franchi to be soft shooting, but that's just me. FWIW, I think the Franchi is an exceptional shotgun.

#6872423 - 08/29/17 08:06 AM Re: New gun purchase thoughts.... need help [Re: Barny Topwater]
68A Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: North Texas
Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater
Originally Posted By: 68A

Because he wants one!! and everybody knows . Ducks killed with a $1600. gun are deader than those killed with an $800 gun confused2

You might be on to something there. I bet if I pick up a sbe 3 I won't even have to shoot at them. I'll just point it at them and they'll fall out of the sky.

#6872453 - 08/29/17 08:40 AM Re: New gun purchase thoughts.... need help [Re: jbaker33]
Wacm Offline
Tracker

Loc: Wimberley, Tx
Franchi can't touch a Beretta. I'm actually a Benelli guy but was in the market for a gun for my son. I belong to a gun club and they have a good variety of guns for classes. After using all sorts of guns. It's very obvious Beretta and Benelli are the go to guns. They are balanced really well and cycle so much smoother. I know it sounds silly but those two really stand out when you shoot them next to each other. Beretta has the patent on a perfected gas operated gun. All the others are kind of working around it.Benelli has their patent on the inertia system and it's simple and sweet. It cycles so much smoother and is so easy to break down. Now with all that said I wanted a Benelli for my 9 year old son but it was going to cost 900 for a youth gun and I wouldn't get it till mid November so I kept looking even though the Benelli felt the best to me.

I decided of a Weatherby SA08. It's basically a copied Beretta. It doesn't have the gas chambers up top and underneath like a Beretta which I'm guessing is the most efficient way to do it. They have them on the sides of the fore stock. It feels much smoother to me the the Franchi and is light and balanced. It really eats the recoil well. Maybe even better then the Beretta. The only draw back is there are these gas cylinders that need to be used depending on the loads being shot. It's not that big of a deal. I don't think I've ever shot light field loads with heavy high brass at the same time. The best thing about the Weatherby is it's half the price of a Beretta.
A new one can be had for 450 if you shop around.

#6872744 - 08/29/17 01:20 PM Re: New gun purchase thoughts.... need help [Re: jbaker33]
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Temple, TX
Buy the gun you want and forget about price. I'm very frugal but the thing is you are probably going to have this shotgun for the rest of your life so you might as well buy the best one (within reason). Six months from now if you buy the one you wanted you will have forgotten about the price but if you go in trying to save money and get something you don't like as much you'll always long for the one you really wanted. I've always been partial to the B guns but Franchi's are not bad....I'm not up to date on this model though.

Also that was a badass humble brag about almost always limiting out. I want to say it's almost expert level trolling it was so good...but if you are serious good for you haha.

#6872764 - 08/29/17 01:30 PM Re: New gun purchase thoughts.... need help [Re: jbaker33]
colt45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: bastrop county
if you have the money...Beretta and don't look back

#6872842 - 08/29/17 02:19 PM Re: New gun purchase thoughts.... need help [Re: jbaker33]
BradyBuck Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Abilene, TX
I've shot the A400, SBE2, new A5, Maxus and SX3

A400 has very light recoil but I just don't particularly like the feel of the gun and how it feels when you shoot it but I bet you could get used to it. I think it's the recoil system. Very reliable. I hunt almost every weekend with a guy that is going on 5-6 years with his and is very happy with it.

SBE2 i really like a lot and if I wasn't so happy with my new A5 I'd get one and still might.

New A5 is my current waterfowl gun, I really like the way it shoulders and feels. It has a very crisp action but recoil is a touch heavy but not bothersome for me.

The Maxus would be my choice in a gas gun. I like the way it feels and I've owned a Silver hunter for about 13 years now that always goes boom no matter what I put in it or how many I've put down it. They are very similar.

Sx3 is basically a Maxus with a different look. Buddy of mine has put his through everything. He has shot thousands of dove with it and going on about 7-8 duck seasons.

If recoil is a issue I'd say Maxus or a400

If you want an inertia gun go with the SBE or A5 which ever feels better.

#6872882 - 08/29/17 03:02 PM Re: New gun purchase thoughts.... need help [Re: jbaker33]
blackcoal Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: 60 Mi North of DFW
Let's get back to Barney's idea of the 10gaSxS for the girlfriend. I would be cautious about this because if you get shooting geese on pass shooting or some high flying cranes it will be embarrassing when she is dropping them and you are only getting a flinch from the cranes, so I'd make certain I'd only get her a single shot.

As far as your nice semi, wait till the boat overturns in 6 ft of water and see who is crying the hardest, you with your 870 or all your buddies with their soft shooting semis. Lot of ducks been killed with 2 3/4 shells and if that recoil is too much .....

back

#6873044 - 08/29/17 06:18 PM Re: New gun purchase thoughts.... need help [Re: jbaker33]
Hopedale Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Central Texas
Originally Posted By: jbaker33
Let me start by saying this may be a little lengthy but im in a pickle and need some advice from fellow THF'rs...
I have alway shot on the cheaper end of guns

im finally at a point to get a nice shotgun to tote.

First instinct as i walked in to bass pro last weekend and with full intentions on purchasing, browning a5 or a maxus...

Go with your gut.

If you're not going to go with your insticts, then take your fiance and have her pick out a shotgun. Save the difference until you can come back and buy a nice shotgun to tote. Otherwise, you're going to be wanting to upgrade from the Franchi.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide