Print Thread
Hot Wire Around Feeders for hogs #6871248 08/28/17 02:34 PM
X
xitnet Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
X
Asked a while back about hot wiring around feeders to keep the hogs out. This is my first experience with them in the Texas panhandle on my new lease. Didn't get many answers so thought I would try it and report my findings. Bottom line is they went right through the hot fence and tore it up. Twice to be exact. :-) It doesn't work. Hope this information helps someone else from making my mistake.

Re: Hot Wire Around Feeders for hogs [Re: xitnet] #6871310 08/28/17 03:36 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
As thick of a coat as they have, that doesn't surprise me.

Just put up some hog panels and problem solved. Use 8-10 to make sure you give the deer plenty of room to be comfortable in it. I hunt the panhandle. I don't have any hogs in my penned feeders. up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Hot Wire Around Feeders for hogs [Re: xitnet] #6871351 08/28/17 04:08 PM
R
rdhibbs Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: xitnet
Asked a while back about hot wiring around feeders to keep the hogs out. This is my first experience with them in the Texas panhandle on my new lease. Didn't get many answers so thought I would try it and report my findings. Bottom line is they went right through the hot fence and tore it up. Twice to be exact. :-) It doesn't work. Hope this information helps someone else from making my mistake.

What part of the Panhandle are you hunting? I am trying to find Hunting opportunities for youth in this area. I am based out of Moore County, and working with several youth programs.

Thank You
Robert

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Hot Wire Around Feeders for hogs [Re: xitnet] #6871545 08/28/17 06:30 PM
X
xitnet Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
X
Thanks Pitchfork! I'll do it.

Opportunities in the Panhandle are hard to find. I leased 3,400 acres in Palo Duro Canyon to take my grand kids and son-in-law. We're allowed two mature deer plus hogs, varmints and birds. No aoudad or "cats (quirky owner)". It took almost a year to find a place. Good luck on finding one.

Re: Hot Wire Around Feeders for hogs [Re: xitnet] #6871556 08/28/17 06:37 PM
R
rdhibbs Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I am slowly finding opportunities on public land, It took me two years to find my boy a place to shoot or a hunt, since then we have had a range open, We joined Texas youth hunting program, and we are working on building a new 4-H hunting program. I am always looking for new opportunities. Thank You for your reply.

Thank You
Robert

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Hot Wire Around Feeders for hogs [Re: xitnet] #6871631 08/28/17 08:03 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Thanks for letting us know the electric fence did not work. Have never tried it...would like to have watched them when they hit the wire.

Re: Hot Wire Around Feeders for hogs [Re: xitnet] #6871638 08/28/17 08:07 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Trying not to snicker. laugh Hot wire for hogs? Sorry you didn't get better forum advice before wasting your time. Even the heavy gauge hog panels Marc advised on won't do the job without a lot of thought and effort in the install. Hogs will push through any weak area (joints & corners). And if it's not setup on a rock base they'll eventually dig under. My theory was not to worry about pigs getting in the feeder pen, and just hog proof the leg's so they can't dump it over.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Hot Wire Around Feeders for hogs [Re: xitnet] #6871658 08/28/17 08:25 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Thanks Pitchfork! I'll do it.

Opportunities in the Panhandle are hard to find. I leased 3,400 acres in Palo Duro Canyon to take my grand kids and son-in-law. We're allowed two mature deer plus hogs, varmints and birds. No aoudad or "cats (quirky owner)". It took almost a year to find a place. Good luck on finding one.
Pen is simple. Tie all the hog panels together end to end making sure to overlap some and make sure to wire top, middle and bottom. Once you have all of them connect and in a circle and in the location you want it start pounding pickets on the inside at each end of each panel and one in the middle. You want to make sure the pickets are on the inside so the panels are being pushed into the pickets for support. Once the pickets are all in place wire top, middle and bottom of each to the panels. Do it like that with no gaps between the bottom of the panel and ground and you will never have a hog in your pen.

Re: Hot Wire Around Feeders for hogs [Re: xitnet] #6871958 08/28/17 11:56 PM
X
xitnet Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
X
Appreciate the replies and advice. Can't help but snicker at myself. It was a total failure. Just want to help someone else not make the same mistake. Anyone in need of of a couple of nice 'as new" solar fence chargers? :-)

Thought about setting one up on a door knob at the house for my wife..........then I came to my senses.

Re: Hot Wire Around Feeders for hogs [Re: xitnet] #6871973 08/29/17 12:05 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Appreciate the replies and advice. Can't help but snicker at myself. It was a total failure. Just want to help someone else not make the same mistake. Anyone in need of of a couple of nice 'as new" solar fence chargers? :-)

Thought about setting one up on a door knob at the house for my wife..........then I came to my senses.

roflmao wife

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide