437782 Topics
6030193 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Topic Options
#6871248 - 08/28/17 09:34 AM Hot Wire Around Feeders for hogs
xitnet Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Amarillo, TX
Asked a while back about hot wiring around feeders to keep the hogs out. This is my first experience with them in the Texas panhandle on my new lease. Didn't get many answers so thought I would try it and report my findings. Bottom line is they went right through the hot fence and tore it up. Twice to be exact. :-) It doesn't work. Hope this information helps someone else from making my mistake.

#6871310 - 08/28/17 10:36 AM Re: Hot Wire Around Feeders for hogs [Re: xitnet]
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Murphy, TX Dickens county
As thick of a coat as they have, that doesn't surprise me.

Just put up some hog panels and problem solved. Use 8-10 to make sure you give the deer plenty of room to be comfortable in it. I hunt the panhandle. I don't have any hogs in my penned feeders. up

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

#6871351 - 08/28/17 11:08 AM Re: Hot Wire Around Feeders for hogs [Re: xitnet]
rdhibbs Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Dumas TX
Originally Posted By: xitnet
Asked a while back about hot wiring around feeders to keep the hogs out. This is my first experience with them in the Texas panhandle on my new lease. Didn't get many answers so thought I would try it and report my findings. Bottom line is they went right through the hot fence and tore it up. Twice to be exact. :-) It doesn't work. Hope this information helps someone else from making my mistake.

What part of the Panhandle are you hunting? I am trying to find Hunting opportunities for youth in this area. I am based out of Moore County, and working with several youth programs.

#6871545 - 08/28/17 01:30 PM Re: Hot Wire Around Feeders for hogs [Re: xitnet]
xitnet Offline
Light Foot

Thanks Pitchfork! I'll do it.

Opportunities in the Panhandle are hard to find. I leased 3,400 acres in Palo Duro Canyon to take my grand kids and son-in-law. We're allowed two mature deer plus hogs, varmints and birds. No aoudad or "cats (quirky owner)". It took almost a year to find a place. Good luck on finding one.

#6871556 - 08/28/17 01:37 PM Re: Hot Wire Around Feeders for hogs [Re: xitnet]
rdhibbs Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Dumas TX
I am slowly finding opportunities on public land, It took me two years to find my boy a place to shoot or a hunt, since then we have had a range open, We joined Texas youth hunting program, and we are working on building a new 4-H hunting program. I am always looking for new opportunities. Thank You for your reply.

#6871631 - 08/28/17 03:03 PM Re: Hot Wire Around Feeders for hogs [Re: xitnet]
Wilhunt Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: New Braunfels, San Saba county
Thanks for letting us know the electric fence did not work. Have never tried it...would like to have watched them when they hit the wire.

#6871638 - 08/28/17 03:07 PM Re: Hot Wire Around Feeders for hogs [Re: xitnet]
dkershen Offline

Loc: Denton/Argyle
Trying not to snicker. laugh Hot wire for hogs? Sorry you didn't get better forum advice before wasting your time. Even the heavy gauge hog panels Marc advised on won't do the job without a lot of thought and effort in the install. Hogs will push through any weak area (joints & corners). And if it's not setup on a rock base they'll eventually dig under. My theory was not to worry about pigs getting in the feeder pen, and just hog proof the leg's so they can't dump it over.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
www.NewHopeEquine.com

#6871658 - 08/28/17 03:25 PM Re: Hot Wire Around Feeders for hogs [Re: xitnet]
SapperTitan Online   content
Taking Requests

Loc: Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
Thanks Pitchfork! I'll do it.

Opportunities in the Panhandle are hard to find. I leased 3,400 acres in Palo Duro Canyon to take my grand kids and son-in-law. We're allowed two mature deer plus hogs, varmints and birds. No aoudad or "cats (quirky owner)". It took almost a year to find a place. Good luck on finding one.
Pen is simple. Tie all the hog panels together end to end making sure to overlap some and make sure to wire top, middle and bottom. Once you have all of them connect and in a circle and in the location you want it start pounding pickets on the inside at each end of each panel and one in the middle. You want to make sure the pickets are on the inside so the panels are being pushed into the pickets for support. Once the pickets are all in place wire top, middle and bottom of each to the panels. Do it like that with no gaps between the bottom of the panel and ground and you will never have a hog in your pen.

#6871958 - 08/28/17 06:56 PM Re: Hot Wire Around Feeders for hogs [Re: xitnet]
xitnet Offline
Light Foot

Appreciate the replies and advice. Can't help but snicker at myself. It was a total failure. Just want to help someone else not make the same mistake. Anyone in need of of a couple of nice 'as new" solar fence chargers? :-)

Thought about setting one up on a door knob at the house for my wife..........then I came to my senses.

#6871973 - 08/28/17 07:05 PM Re: Hot Wire Around Feeders for hogs [Re: xitnet]
SnakeWrangler Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Fairfield, TX
Appreciate the replies and advice. Can't help but snicker at myself. It was a total failure. Just want to help someone else not make the same mistake. Anyone in need of of a couple of nice 'as new" solar fence chargers? :-)

Thought about setting one up on a door knob at the house for my wife..........then I came to my senses.

roflmao wife

"Death is permanent...everything else is temporary!"

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide