Forum Stats
62669 Members
46 Forums
438372 Topics
6037716 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6871040 - 08/28/17 12:06 AM Anybody own a S&W Performance Center Revolver???
TurkeyWhisperer Offline
Tracker

Loc: Aledo, Tx
Looking at getting a Smith and Wesson J-frame 637PC (performance center). Anybody have any thoughts on them? Are they worth the extra money compared to regular 637? I will use it for home protection, not to carry.

Thanks!

#6871050 - 08/28/17 12:37 AM Re: Anybody own a S&W Performance Center Revolver??? [Re: TurkeyWhisperer]
Sneaky Offline
The "Grouch"

Loc: Winters
I would probably avoid anything labeled "performance center" to defend myself, if possible, for court room liability reasons. I'd use whatever I had, but I wouldn't buy something like that for the specific purpose, just to hedge my bets.

I sure would like a Performance Center revolver for shooting and hunting, though. They look nice.

#6871063 - 08/28/17 05:23 AM Re: Anybody own a S&W Performance Center Revolver??? [Re: TurkeyWhisperer]
jdk1985 Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Waco, TX
I owned one of the Competitor models at one point in time. Very well made revolver.

#6871169 - 08/28/17 08:22 AM Re: Anybody own a S&W Performance Center Revolver??? [Re: Sneaky]
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
I would probably avoid anything labeled "performance center" to defend myself, if possible, for court room liability reasons. I'd use whatever I had, but I wouldn't buy something like that for the specific purpose, just to hedge my bets.

I sure would like a Performance Center revolver for shooting and hunting, though. They look nice.

Never thought about this, pretty good point which a prosecutor could really make a big deal out of in court.

They are great hand tuned guns though. You could buy a normal S&W, send it to their custom shop. I thing their action job is $121. Might be easier to keep it quite.

#6871191 - 08/28/17 08:41 AM Re: Anybody own a S&W Performance Center Revolver??? [Re: Sneaky]
Tff caribou Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Watauga, TX

Old rhetoric that hasn't ever actually been used to prosecute somebody in a court of law. The same argument could be made that you chose to grab a 12ga to defend your house instead of the .22 right next to it. It's an argument that will never hold up in court.

I could see some possibility of a problem if you were making custom bullets to do as much damage as possible, but even then, it's unlikely.

Edited by Tff caribou (08/28/17 08:44 AM)

#6871194 - 08/28/17 08:45 AM Re: Anybody own a S&W Performance Center Revolver??? [Re: TurkeyWhisperer]
syncerus Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
I bought an older 637 PC model that had been ported and tuned for my wife. I liked it so much that she very nearly didn't get it.

#6871207 - 08/28/17 08:57 AM Re: Anybody own a S&W Performance Center Revolver??? [Re: TurkeyWhisperer]
Tim9880 Offline
Tracker

I have a PC 442. Found it around the same price as a regular no lock. The trigger is way better than a typical off the shelf j frame, so it was worth it. I think you will be happy if you shop for a good price.

#6871215 - 08/28/17 09:06 AM Re: Anybody own a S&W Performance Center Revolver??? [Re: Tff caribou]
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

Old rhetoric that hasn't ever actually been used to prosecute somebody in a court of law. The same argument could be made that you chose to grab a 12ga to defend your house instead of the .22 right next to it. It's an argument that will never hold up in court.

I could see some possibility of a problem if you were making custom bullets to do as much damage as possible, but even then, it's unlikely.

true, either way you will be sued

#6871223 - 08/28/17 09:16 AM Re: Anybody own a S&W Performance Center Revolver??? [Re: TurkeyWhisperer]
cabosandinh Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
the trigger is really nice , approaching butter smoothness of those Colt Pythons

single action is where it shines

#6871268 - 08/28/17 09:52 AM Re: Anybody own a S&W Performance Center Revolver??? [Re: cabosandinh]
Texan Til I Die Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Central Texas
Originally Posted By: cabosandinh
the trigger is really nice , approaching butter smoothness of those Colt Pythons

single action is where it shines
Absolutely. I carry a 637-2 PC model with 125 JHP +P. Single action trigger is better than most off the shelf deer rifle triggers.

give me shelter from the storm.

#6871304 - 08/28/17 10:32 AM Re: Anybody own a S&W Performance Center Revolver??? [Re: Buzzsaw]
Tff caribou Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Watauga, TX
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

true, either way you will be sued

Also not nearly as likely as the internet makes it out to be. Especially in Texas where there is financial protection for people involved in a justified shooting.

#6871535 - 08/28/17 01:24 PM Re: Anybody own a S&W Performance Center Revolver??? [Re: TurkeyWhisperer]
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: 60 Mi North of DFW
Is a Texas blonde better than a Florida blonde and what about a natural vs bleached?

Best get to the Mustang ranch and try a few. I don't believe for home defense you will be noticing the trigger pull, especially in double action. Are you certain you want an airweight? I think your question should center around reliability and I think any S&W in a J frame is going to be reliable. One of the reasons they excelled as BUGs.

JMO & 2cents

#6871686 - 08/28/17 03:56 PM Re: Anybody own a S&W Performance Center Revolver??? [Re: TurkeyWhisperer]
Tactical Cowboy Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: San Angelo
Why not go with a full sized revolver for HD, such as a 627 or 929? Better ballistics and easier to shoot/handle.

Powder coated cast bullets available. https://www.facebook.com/lazyhbullets/

#6871910 - 08/28/17 06:22 PM Re: Anybody own a S&W Performance Center Revolver??? [Re: TurkeyWhisperer]
C.K. Offline
Woodsman

I too have a 442 performance center. It's a really good gun, I'm more accurate with it than I am my 3.3 xds. The trigger has two faint clicks and right after the second one is when it breaks over and shoots. I can stop at the second click and then the trigger is as crisp as a single action, increasing my accuracy as opposed to a constant pull.

#6871921 - 08/28/17 06:27 PM Re: Anybody own a S&W Performance Center Revolver??? [Re: TurkeyWhisperer]
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity

Home defense gun should be a full size with light and laser

save the small stuff for CC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide