Print Thread
Got a question for yall #6869903 08/27/17 12:52 AM
K
kyotee1 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
How is the public hunt drawings since I left the agency 3 years ago? Better or worst? They really didn't want my input on the new system before the role out and I kinda skimmed over what a few of yall had to say. I didn't agree to allow unlimited non-residents apply which would reduce residents chances to be drawn, other states restrict us to apply for their non-resident tags or permits and also some state require non residents to pay for the license prior to applying, where Texas doesn't not. Come us, let's level the playing field and give residents first shot (no pun intended, or maybe so) at being drawn or hunt permits.

That's really my feeling on the subject. Hope all you have a great season, draw some of the hunts you apply for and are successful. Keep me in your prayers, I have my heart cath a week from Thursday, required to put on the transplant list.

Have a good one,
cheers Chris

Re: Got a question for yall [Re: kyotee1] #6869928 08/27/17 01:12 AM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Hey Chris,

First off hope you get to feeling better.

On the non-resident thing I don't like the way I am treated by other states in there draw program. So, I don't want Texas to start treating non residents the way other states treat us. I would like to see TPWD require a hunting license in order to apply for both residents and nonresidents. Youth hunters completely exempted. It would be easy to do since your applications are tied into your parks and wildlife customers #. Nonresidents could buy a 5 day license and apply for all the hunts at once or just buy a season hunting license. This would also weed out Texans who are applying and are not serious about hunting or antihunters applying to try and stop hunts. It seems that it would be revenue positive for TPWD. Just my 2cents

Last edited by Erny; 08/27/17 01:14 AM.
Re: Got a question for yall [Re: Erny] #6870044 08/27/17 03:45 AM
N
NDN98 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Erny
Hey Chris,

First off hope you get to feeling better.

On the non-resident thing I don't like the way I am treated by other states in there draw program. So, I don't want Texas to start treating non residents the way other states treat us. I would like to see TPWD require a hunting license in order to apply for both residents and nonresidents. Youth hunters completely exempted. It would be easy to do since your applications are tied into your parks and wildlife customers #. Nonresidents could buy a 5 day license and apply for all the hunts at once or just buy a season hunting license. This would also weed out Texans who are applying and are not serious about hunting or antihunters applying to try and stop hunts. It seems that it would be revenue positive for TPWD. Just my 2cents

Well said and I mostly agree, except I wish we could go back to only applying for one hunt in each category. I know it is a revenue thing, but being able to apply for multiple hunts almost forces you to apply for multiple hunts to even stand a chance of getting drawn now.

Re: Got a question for yall [Re: kyotee1] #6870049 08/27/17 03:57 AM
R
rjd Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Agree with above. going back to one hunt application per category would make people think about where they would like to hunt instead of putting in for everything available and making odds of getting drawn almost impossible.

Non residents should be limited as most other states have things set up.

Hope things go well for you and a donor is found so you can get up and going quickly.

Re: Got a question for yall [Re: rjd] #6870107 08/27/17 05:11 AM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Let me throw out a little food for thought here as a non-resident. Every one of us is a NR just as soon as we leave home, and try to hunt another place. We would all like to be treated fairly, and not discriminated against but it just doesn't happen that way. Every state is different, and fees seem totally random sometimes. Residents tend to want cheap fees, and want NR's to pay for running the F&G Dept in general. The powers-that-be make whatever rules they want, and I can't begin to explain them. I do know that if you want to play the hunting game, you are gonna have to pay and it is only going to go up and up. I'd like to see better odds of drawing again, just like all of you, but that isn't happening either.

Here in Idaho I have to have a hunting license in order to apply for a special hunt and each application costs me $6; you have to buy a $152 NR license and your apps are $14 each. Trophy species you have to send in the $2100 too!!! WOW. The difference here is, if you don't draw any of those hunts, you can buy a deer/elk/antelope tag over the counter and still come hunt the public land that makes up 70% of our state, and have pretty long seasons too. Our ACCESS YES program allows you to walk in and hunt enrolled private land in some of the best areas for free (some are 20,000 acres or more). I want to see you do that in Webb, Dimmit, or LaSalle counties! smile

In Utah, I have to buy a $65 license and pay $15 for every application. You can only have one tag there, so if I draw a hunt, they automatically throw out all my other apps and they don't even get considered after I paid for them!

Wyoming doesn't require a separate license but they charge me $300 for deer, $300 for antelope, and $500 for elk upfront and keep my money for months before refunding it if unsuccessful.

Montana now requires a hunting license, a Sportsman's Conservation stamp, a hefty application fee, and even more money if you want points.

Arizona requires a $152 license and $15 for every application. The odds are so steep you will draw a Chaparral or Matador Gun Deer tag before you get a deer, elk, or antelope there.

Texas has a weird license structure for us; there are 5-day, Turkey, Special, or General NR ones. What do you buy, if you know you'll never come down if you don't draw a hunt??? I don't have an answer that everyone would like and accept for which one to have. I do think we should pay more to apply, and probably even the permit price should be higher than the $80 or $130 we pay now as a NR. Like I've said before, charge me a fixed fee tied to my Customer# to apply, raise the costs of the permits, and put a 10% limit on the number of drawn tags for non-residents, and we will all still come to Texas, support your local businesses and economies, and hopefully play well together.

Re: Got a question for yall [Re: kyotee1] #6870201 08/27/17 01:54 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I think the models that other states have where the goals are to provide as many opportunities to residents as possible while raising as much revenue as possible from non-residents would work here. We definitely need to move to a system where non-residents need to buy a license before applying. Additionally, I like Blank's ideas of greatly increasing fees and limiting the number of tags that non-residents can draw. Anyone in the country being able to put in for the best permits for only $3 is ridiculous.

Re: Got a question for yall [Re: kyotee1] #6870262 08/27/17 03:00 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
best wishes to you!

GO TRUMP!
Re: Got a question for yall [Re: Blank] #6870331 08/27/17 04:09 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Blank
L
The difference here is, if you don't draw any of those hunts, you can buy a deer/elk/antelope tag over the counter and still come hunt the public land that makes up 70% of our state, and have pretty long seasons too. Our ACCESS YES program allows you to walk in and hunt enrolled private land in some of the best areas for free (some are 20,000 acres or more). I want to see you do that in Webb, Dimmit, or LaSalle counties! smile

Texas has a weird license structure for us; there are 5-day, Turkey, Special, or General NR ones. What do you buy, if you know you'll never come down if you don't draw a hunt???

Texas as large as it is, is primarily privately owned and it is up to the landowner to allow access if he/she wishes to, or allow their parcel or parcels to be into our public hunting program. We have quite a bit of public hunting land opportunities throughout the state but not all for all big game species, you must look at that tract to see what is legal to hunt and when. This is where we differ from other states that have a large portion of their land which is privately owned that they enroll into a walk in or public access to hunt.

I have listed the licenses for non residents for you directly off our website and the Outdoor Annual. Each one explains what to buy and it covers which species.

Non-resident Licenses

Non-resident General Hunting
Type 105:$315
Valid to hunt any legal bird or animal (including deer). Endorsement requirements apply.

Non-resident Spring Turkey
Type 118:$126 – Available after February 1st
Valid to hunt turkey only during the open spring turkey season. Holders of this license are exempt from the upland game bird endorsement requirements. (Unlawful to possess both this license and a valid Non-Resident General Hunting License.)

Non-resident Special Hunting
Type 107:$132
Valid to hunt:
•Exotic animals,
•all legal game birds (NOT VALID FOR TURKEY),
•all nongame animals, squirrel, javelina and alligator (not valid for other game animals, NOT VALID FOR DEER).

Endorsement requirements apply.

Non-resident 5-Day Special Hunting
Type 157:$48
Legal for any period of 5 consecutive days (valid hunting dates will be printed on the license when issued). Valid to hunt:
•exotic animals,
•all legal game birds (except turkeys),
•all nongame animals, squirrel, javelina and alligator (not valid for other game animals, NOT VALID FOR DEER).

Endorsement requirements apply.

Hope this has helped you see 'what to buy' to avoid making a mistake and hunting legally.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide