Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Shoot Selfies, Not Animals #6867379 08/24/17 06:04 PM
B
BayouGuy Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
B

If you can't laugh at yourself, give me a call. I'll gladly laugh at you.

"I keep trying to see Nancy Pelosi's and Chuck Schumer's point of view,
but I can't seem to get my head that far up my [censored]." Senator John Kennedy, Louisiana
Re: Shoot Selfies, Not Animals [Re: BayouGuy] #6867383 08/24/17 06:10 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Several of my buddies are doing that.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Shoot Selfies, Not Animals [Re: BayouGuy] #6867401 08/24/17 06:28 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I bet the PETA folk are going crazy... Gotta be embarrassing

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Shoot Selfies, Not Animals [Re: BayouGuy] #6867437 08/24/17 07:13 PM
B
Black02z28 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
My feed was full of these this morning. I don't typically participate in FaceBook shenanigans, but did this time.

I was curious if PETA had a take on this whole thing, and I find it funny that they call it a backfire on the hunters trolling them. They even go as far as calling kids that hunt future school shooters...

https://www.peta.org/blog/hunters-attempts-troll-peta-backfire-big-time/

Re: Shoot Selfies, Not Animals [Re: BayouGuy] #6867439 08/24/17 07:15 PM
S
s1rGr1nG0 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
I put one up of a deer I shot last year. Laying on the ground with a puddle of blood and blood oozing out the side.
Put it on Instagram too. banana

Edit: this was quoted from the link provided above. "In an attempt at humor, thousands of hunters began using PETA’s frame on photos of themselves posing with the corpses of animals they’d killed. But ironically, their actions served only to introduce PETA and our anti-hunting message to a whole new audience."

Uhhhh, no it didn't. Their target audience are not on my FB friends list and I'm definitely not following some leftist douchebags on Instagram.

Last edited by s1rGr1nG0; 08/24/17 07:18 PM.
Re: Shoot Selfies, Not Animals [Re: BayouGuy] #6867441 08/24/17 07:18 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I'm an active member of P.E.T.A. ... People Eating Tasty Animals ...

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Shoot Selfies, Not Animals [Re: Black02z28] #6867452 08/24/17 07:24 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: Black02z28
My feed was full of these this morning. I don't typically participate in FaceBook shenanigans, but did this time.

I was curious if PETA had a take on this whole thing, and I find it funny that they call it a backfire on the hunters trolling them. They even go as far as calling kids that hunt future school shooters...

https://www.peta.org/blog/hunters-attempts-troll-peta-backfire-big-time/

They claim we are trolling them when in fact the whole thing started in an attempt to troll hunters.

Re: Shoot Selfies, Not Animals [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6867453 08/24/17 07:25 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Guilty.

Re: Shoot Selfies, Not Animals [Re: cameron00] #6867544 08/24/17 08:35 PM
W
westtexaswatkins Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted By: cameron00
Guilty.

Me too grin

Re: Shoot Selfies, Not Animals [Re: BayouGuy] #6867757 08/24/17 11:36 PM
Adchunts Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Do you guys really believe that PETA did not anticipate that hunters would "hijack" their overlay? I am willing to bet they were counting on it. Tons more exposure than they could garner on their own...and to a completely different audience than they could reach through their normal channels.

I am sure they are having a nice soy latte and congratulating themselves tonight.

Re: Shoot Selfies, Not Animals [Re: Adchunts] #6867825 08/25/17 12:46 AM
T
TWarren Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Adchunts
Do you guys really believe that PETA did not anticipate that hunters would "hijack" their overlay? I am willing to bet they were counting on it. Tons more exposure than they could garner on their own...and to a completely different audience than they could reach through their normal channels.

I am sure they are having a nice soy latte and congratulating themselves tonight.

Agree completely and also they now have a list of people to stalk and harass. No thanks, I don't need that kind of attention.

Re: Shoot Selfies, Not Animals [Re: BayouGuy] #6867834 08/25/17 12:53 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I doubt very seriously they are happy about the turn of events. It is a major backfire for them and having the exact opposite effect of what was intended.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Shoot Selfies, Not Animals [Re: BayouGuy] #6867855 08/25/17 01:10 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
They have done their research. How hunting is viewed by the non hunting public is a direct result of the class or lack there of in our pictures. They just tee'd up a hell of a publicity campaign. For every 20 great photos we use there will be one distasteful. Which ones do you think they will highlight and be reposting?

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Shoot Selfies, Not Animals [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6867867 08/25/17 01:23 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
They have done their research. How hunting is viewed by the non hunting public is a direct result of the class or lack there of in our pictures. They just tee'd up a hell of a publicity campaign. For every 20 great photos we use there will be one distasteful. Which ones do you think they will highlight and be reposting?

At some point people have to refuse to allow PC to dictate rules, social norms etc. This seems like a fine place to start. Otherwise you let the few wimps who get offended determine what's acceptable for the majority.

IMO that's what's gotten this world so upside down. Granting such power to the offended is a recipe for chaos.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Shoot Selfies, Not Animals [Re: therancher] #6867882 08/25/17 01:41 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: therancher

At some point people have to refuse to allow PC to dictate rules, social norms etc. This seems like a fine place to start. Otherwise you let the few wimps who get offended determine what's acceptable for the majority.

IMO that's what's gotten this world so upside down. Granting such power to the offended is a recipe for chaos.

I don't disagree but political correctness and perception are two different things.
You don't have to be PC to have a tasteful photos or photos that simply don't highlight bad perceptions

When you are the majority you don't have to worry about Tastefulness. We as hunters are not the majority, hell we can't even support each other!!!

Re: Shoot Selfies, Not Animals [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6867904 08/25/17 01:56 AM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
13.5 million hunters in the US
6.5 million PETA member and supporters world wide.
Screw em.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Shoot Selfies, Not Animals [Re: TexFlip] #6867965 08/25/17 02:49 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: TexFlip
Screw em.

Really....BC just closed Grizzly "trophy" hunting. Over 15,000 grizzly population and they had a 250 tag cap.. not even 2% of the population was being taken.

They said screw the North American Conservation model. They said screw science and did it based off "public opinion".

There are units in states that you can't hunt on the weekends, to "protect" hikers and backpacks from watching fluffy the white goat roll down a cliff, or bullwinkle the Moose to die in middle of the trail with frothy lung blood coming out of its mouth.

You looked at our public draw hunt dates?

We live in a bubble because of our strong private property rights. That doesn't follow suit in other states.

320 million people in the US and only 13.5 hunters. Think about it for a second. PETA isn't trying to reach there activist members. The are trying to reach the other 300 plus million non hunters, by saying we just kill animals for its head or antlers

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Shoot Selfies, Not Animals [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6867973 08/25/17 03:03 AM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Screw em.

Really....BC just closed Grizzly "trophy" hunting. Over 15,000 grizzly population and they had a 250 tag cap.. not even 2% of the population was being taken.

They said screw the North American Conservation model. They said screw science and did it based off "public opinion".

There are units in states that you can't hunt on the weekends, to "protect" hikers and backpacks from watching fluffy the white goat roll down a cliff, or bullwinkle the Moose to die in middle of the trail with frothy lung blood coming out of its mouth.

We live in a bubble because of our strong private property rights. That doesn't follow suit in other states.

320 million people in the US and only 13.5 hunters. Think about it for a second. PETA isn't trying to reach there activist members. The are trying to reach the other 300 plus million non hunters, by saying we just kill animals for its head or antlers

They canceled trophy hunting. Can still hunt them, just can't keep the non-edible portions. If fewer people get tags, that just enforces the belief you are trying to dispell in your last sentence.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Shoot Selfies, Not Animals [Re: TexFlip] #6867984 08/25/17 03:23 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Screw em.

They canceled trophy hunting. Can still hunt them, just can't keep the non-edible portions. If fewer people get tags, that just enforces the belief you are trying to dispell in your last sentence.

And it will reinforce it. Stop allowing sheep horn procession and see how many people pay 25k -150k for tags/hunts. Shut down African animal capes and skulls coming in and see what happens there... oh wait they are working on that too.

It's coming to a state near you. We as hunters have done a terrible job explaining and showing why we exemplify a dead animal, especially with distasteful photos.

A photo can't tell someone, that the hunter walked 20 miles in two days, or that it was 27 degrees on the 27 of November with a slight north wind, and that I had hunted that deer for two years....or can it?

Just look at the views and replies on THF. The better the photo quality , more replys it gets.

PETA isn't playing to thier base. They are playing to the voting non hunting general public

Re: Shoot Selfies, Not Animals [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6868010 08/25/17 04:03 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

I don't disagree but political correctness and perception are two different things.
You don't have to be PC to have a tasteful photos or photos that simply don't highlight bad perceptions

When you are the majority you don't have to worry about Tastefulness. We as hunters are not the majority, hell we can't even support each other!!!

Hunters aren't the majority. But people who support hunting are the VAST majority.

Perception isn't the issue. PC is. Allowing the minority who are "offended" at anything the power to dictate to the majority, is the issue.

http://wwwcdn.deeranddeerhunting.com/wp-content/uploads/Survey-1.png

Last edited by therancher; 08/25/17 04:04 AM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Shoot Selfies, Not Animals [Re: BayouGuy] #6868012 08/25/17 04:03 AM
S
Sigmund Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Facebook is the devil. It's been more than 3 years since I've logged in to FB, the next time I do it will be to delete my profile (to the extent it can be).

If something is "free", you are the product.

Re: Shoot Selfies, Not Animals [Re: BayouGuy] #6868049 08/25/17 05:46 AM
D
Deerslayer94 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
They were talking about it on the radio this morning lol apparently PETA (people eating tasty animals) isnt very happy lol

Re: Shoot Selfies, Not Animals [Re: BayouGuy] #6868093 08/25/17 11:21 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
My brother put my ram on FB. 95% of the replies were very positive. 2 negative. I took that opportunity to explain (with facts and numbers) how hunters are the best conservationists the world has ever known. Plus facts about how sheep are going to die - whether by old age, exposure, predation, or a bullet.

I was very surprised at the positive responses from non-hunters who said they just didn't know those things and/or had never thought about them.

We need to educate - firmly, politely, one non-hunter at a time.

I didn't do the PETA selfie thing either. I'm not worried about PC, but I do think there are better ways to make a point. And rancher - you are wrong about hunters having overwhelming support. Various hunting bans across the country have shown that is simply not true. You are way too Texas-centric in your thinking.

BC Canada is a flat out mess as far as their govt./game management is concerned. I heard all about it over the last two weeks. It's complicated, but it's really just a wreck. Proposed bans on some things, refusal to restrict on others (residents putting crazy pressure on Stone sheep herd because can hunt OTC), - lots of issues. Sad, because BC is a wilderness paradise and just a little management would keep it that way forever.

Re: Shoot Selfies, Not Animals [Re: BayouGuy] #6868109 08/25/17 11:51 AM
M
Marc K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Support for hunting is clearly declining in this country. Over the last 50 years I've been watching it shift from active participation by the masses, to tolerance.

Intolerance is next. If you can't see it, you aren't looking at the broad picture of societal rot.
Heck, when I was in high school we had a both a hunting club and a gun club that were school sanctioned...... in California.

Tell me things are not changing.

Marc

Last edited by Marc in Bastrop; 08/25/17 12:07 PM.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Shoot Selfies, Not Animals [Re: therancher] #6868158 08/25/17 12:41 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Hunters aren't the majority. But people who support hunting are the VAST majority.

Perception isn't the issue. PC is. Allowing the minority who are "offended" at anything the power to dictate to the majority, is the issue.

http://wwwcdn.deeranddeerhunting.com/wp-content/uploads/Survey-1.png

It's 2017. The support only goes as far as our actions, via our posting of tasteful or non tasteful content.

We need to learn from our mistakes. Cecil the lion(100% legal hunt), Bowmar and his spear etc. Fact is social media can destroy us or exemplify us in our battle.

My post history supports 100% The good Doctor and Josh in his self made spear quest
. I thought it was awesome, a guy made his own spear and took a bear with it. His content just got spear hunting band in that province. He looked like a raging crazy mindless idiot in his film to non-hunters, apparently. I get his emotion, you get his emotion but non hunters didn't, hence the ban.
If he would of done a better documentary type experience, the public reaction would of been completely different.

I still support both those guys 100%, But both are perfect examples of the anti's abilities to manipulate social media perceptions

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide