Page 1 of 2 1 2
TPWD public drawn hunts #6866772 08/24/17 01:31 AM
H
Hgood Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
I must agree with many of y'all that the TPWD drawn hunts have become much more difficult to win a drawn permit. The ability to apply for every hunt in every category with the inclusion of the post card and National refuge hunts seems to have really increased the volume of hunters applying for the hunts. On one hand, this is probably good financially for TPWD. On the other hand, it is a little frustrating for those of us who have been involved with these drawings for many years and are seeing our number of "selection notifications" drop to almost nada! I am concerned, but not sure if we should push for a change. What are y'all's thoughts?

Re: TPWD public drawn hunts [Re: Hgood] #6866786 08/24/17 01:43 AM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
What kinda changes are you talking about? They are not going back to the old system. This new system has some flaws but overall not that bad. I guess one change I would like to see is that you have to have a current hunting licencse in order to apply.

Re: TPWD public drawn hunts [Re: Erny] #6866807 08/24/17 02:03 AM
C
Chunky Monkey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Erny
What kinda changes are you talking about? They are not going back to the old system. This new system has some flaws but overall not that bad. I guess one change I would like to see is that you have to have a current hunting licencse in order to apply.

I agree with this post. But if you see what Texas is doing with the funds from the TPWD you might sing a different tune. More money but for whom?

Last edited by Chunky Monkey; 08/24/17 02:04 AM.
Re: TPWD public drawn hunts [Re: Hgood] #6866850 08/24/17 02:40 AM
H
Hgood Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
Very interesting thoughts!! I am curious about if there has been a great increase in income for the TPWD. My wish would be that the funds be used to continue to support and maintain the state parks, wmas, and working folks who take care of Texas's public hunting lands. I am not particularly pushing to change what the draw system has evolved into, I will admit that the satisfaction in drawing a permit these days is much more gratifying now that the odds are much more difficult. The convenience of being able to apply for the post card and nat'l refuge hunts in the same system is quite nice.

Re: TPWD public drawn hunts [Re: Hgood] #6866882 08/24/17 03:19 AM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I think that TPWD, like most other states with low cost drawings, should require applicants to buy a hunting license first. My guess is it would be revenue positive for TPWD, while increasing our odds for drawing.

Re: TPWD public drawn hunts [Re: Hgood] #6866894 08/24/17 03:38 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
One change I've noticed this year from years past, since TPW has gone to the computerized suystem that has got to be a no brainer for any 13 year old programmer...instead of selecting however many locations to pony up the $3 App Fee for and actualy being drawn for one of them, then cancelling all my other App's in that same given category....this year after I was drawn at a place that has a very poor record of success over the years, my other App's were forwarded to all the other locatons in that same category I had paid App fee's on for the Pending 2nd Round drawing ... and I am still in the game, AND I will attend the SP ( and generate a revenue stream that I have never been willing to spend at that location ever before ).

2nd new change is the small printed notice on a locations description to call for Stand By availablity...instead of beleiving that the computer programmers had eliminated the need for a Stand By starw drawing at the gate for the no shows and bounced check payments etc...and fill the Biologist's recc'd number of Hunters to harvest the approved # of critters...better management of the harvest, pleases the hard core hunters with a bonus for those of us willing and able to chase the Stand By Entry's...and BTDT and was worth my effort more often than not for a last minute Hunt. Just Sayin'.

Just Please Do Not ask me in public for my thoughts on the Legislatures continuing raids on TPW dedicated Fund Accounts ...I feel certain my 1st Amendment Rights of Free Speech would not hold up in court...
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: TPWD public drawn hunts [Re: Hgood] #6866899 08/24/17 03:53 AM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I am a non-resident, and that said, I have been applying since 1991 when I lived in Texas and I really enjoy the Texas Drawn Hunts program. I do purchase a regular hunting license every year for $315 dollars, and will continue to do so to hunt and apply. I think most of the people who apply would gladly pay an increased amount for application fees or the full price license in order to continue to apply for controlled drawn hunts. Hunt if we can, hate us if you will, there are a lot of states out there where we will help you do the same hunts if you want to... Enforce a 10% limit if you want, but we will still apply!

Re: TPWD public drawn hunts [Re: Hgood] #6867026 08/24/17 12:42 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Blank...IMO this is a State Vs Federal tax revenue allocation issue.

No one I know in Texas wants the out of state Hunters dollars to stay home. Texas has a larger huntable game population than most states, and actually needs the Out of State Hunters to properly manage the Game populations.

However we all want to be treated fairly and equally in accessing the assets of FEDERAL Land in any given State, and feel like the Western States most of All abuse their access rights to Out of State Hunters to maximize the monetary return and giving unfair access to game animals to that States residents that ALL of our FEDERAL TAX $'s pay for, that is applied by the FEDERAL Government equally across the 50 states.

When I lived in Florida & Illinois my Federal Tax rates were the same as I had in Texas, OTOH my State Tax's, were funded by different approaches with Texas & Florida using Property Tax's, X's Illinois's more common Personal Income Tax. When I looked at moving to other states those different State Tax approches were a part of my considerations and prevented me from moving to several other states as I was on a fixed bracket rate paid by my empolyer nationwide for the same job....and I eventually came home to Dallas and travelled nationally instead...and wrote off my travel expense on my Federal Income Tax.

Now if I could exclude a "Western" or some other restricted access State from receiving my Federal Tax $'s I might have a different viewpoint.

This is nothing more and nothing less than Equal Protection under Federal Law, is the super short argument when you boil it all down.

To see how this would work, take a close look at what the Texas Dept Insurance Licensing Rules aka a "Goose & Gander to the penny, exam & educational level requirements, and # of Non Residnet Licenses granted to that State" approach are for Out of State Insurance Agents who want to sell their Insurance Products in Texas, with their State of Residence in another state...which is exactly what I am proposing for Out of State Hunters.... verbatim, line by line, chapter and verse.
Nothing More and Nothing Less.
JMHO & YMMV
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 08/24/17 01:05 PM. Reason: where's my speel check????

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: TPWD public drawn hunts [Re: Hgood] #6867050 08/24/17 01:05 PM
H
Hgood Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
Excellent point, Blank! I had not considered the point of view from a non-resident standpoint. It is a sort of hobby of mine to look for low cost, big game hunt drawings all over the United States. My personal investments in "out of state hunts" range from $10 for Pennsylvania Elk to over $700 for New Mexico elk. You are correct, I will also continue to apply in Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire for Moose tags. New Mexico, Colorado, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Wyoming, Montana, and Arizona for Elk and/or Mule deer and/or Bison tags. I guess in the grand scheme of things for the American hunters, the TPWD public drawing system ain't too shabby. Thanks for your perspective!

Re: TPWD public drawn hunts [Re: Blank] #6867186 08/24/17 02:52 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Blank
I am a non-resident, and that said, I have been applying since 1991 when I lived in Texas and I really enjoy the Texas Drawn Hunts program. I do purchase a regular hunting license every year for $315 dollars, and will continue to do so to hunt and apply. I think most of the people who apply would gladly pay an increased amount for application fees or the full price license in order to continue to apply for controlled drawn hunts. Hunt if we can, hate us if you will, there are a lot of states out there where we will help you do the same hunts if you want to... Enforce a 10% limit if you want, but we will still apply!

You are exactly the type of out of state hunter that we want in the system - one who doesn't mind ponying up the cash in exchange for using our resources. If everyone was required to buy a license before they could apply, I think it would solve most issues people have with the system. My frustration is the huge number of out of state guys who drop $20 on the most desirable hunts and screw up the odds for the rest of us, without making any contribution to the state.

Re: TPWD public drawn hunts [Re: Hgood] #6867190 08/24/17 02:57 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
WileyCoyote, You have the same rights to access federal land in other states that any resident does. Go hiking, camping, bird watching, etc. It belongs to all of us. However, it is not the Feds who manage game populations, that has been delegated to the individual states who can manage it as they see fit. You have equal access to the federal resource, just not the state resource.

Re: TPWD public drawn hunts [Re: SherpaPhil] #6867247 08/24/17 03:50 PM
T
TWarren Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: SherpaPhil
WileyCoyote, You have the same rights to access federal land in other states that any resident does. Go hiking, camping, bird watching, etc. It belongs to all of us. However, it is not the Feds who manage game populations, that has been delegated to the individual states who can manage it as they see fit. You have equal access to the federal resource, just not the state resource.

100% correct. While certainly frustrating to see the small and ever decreasing odds of non-residents drawing tags, the bottom line is those wildlife species are managed by those states for their own residents, regardless of who owns the land. Want better odds of an elk tag in New Mexico? Move to New Mexico or what ever state you dream of hunting.

Re: TPWD public drawn hunts [Re: Hgood] #6867353 08/24/17 05:42 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I believe that with all of this money it should definitely be reinvested in to TPWD programs of any kind and with the growing number of applicants and more money that means they should offer more and better hunts. More standby hunters should be accepted also.

basically more applicants means more hunts should be offered.

Last edited by Bigfoot; 08/24/17 05:43 PM.

GO TRUMP!
Re: TPWD public drawn hunts [Re: Hgood] #6867500 08/24/17 08:05 PM
R
RockDocJoe Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Blank has a good perspective and definitely points out the major flaw of the TPWD draw system - a license should be required to enter. That is what has kept me from applying to out of state drawn hunts, not a big enough hunting budget yet. It would be good to see that implemented in the near future.

Re: TPWD public drawn hunts [Re: RockDocJoe] #6867629 08/24/17 09:38 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: DFWpublichunter
Blank has a good perspective and definitely points out the major flaw of the TPWD draw system - a license should be required to enter. That is what has kept me from applying to out of state drawn hunts, not a big enough hunting budget yet. It would be good to see that implemented in the near future.

I dont like it!! The reason they have public hunts is so they guy that cant afford a $20K hunt can go hunt. So having to spend a few hundred dollars on a license just to apply is ridiculous in my opinion and goes against what public hunting should be about. The govt is stepping on the little guy like usual.

GO TRUMP!
Re: TPWD public drawn hunts [Re: Bigfoot] #6867706 08/24/17 10:46 PM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
The problem for non-residents who participate in the Public Drawn Hunts is "What type of license is required, in order to apply"? If all I want to apply for is an exotic hunt, I just need the 5-day special exotic license. Where none of the deer hunts require you to use the regular deer tag from your big license (a special one is provided by the WMA)why would you make a NR buy the $315 one for deer and turkeys? What if you don't draw any hunts, with only 4% public land, then that license is worthless.

My attempted solution to the issue would be simple. It would generate a lot more revenue, pay for the system, and keep everyone happy. Texas already has a lot of permits, certifications, and endorsements in a separate category. I really would like to see a one-time $10-20 stamp tied to my customer number every year just for Public Drawn Hunt applications.

Re: TPWD public drawn hunts [Re: Hgood] #6867948 08/25/17 02:27 AM
H
Hgood Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
Bigfoot, I have to agree with you! When I originally began applying with TPWD public land hunts, it was for the chance to hunt a place that was better organized than the "free-for-all" in the open public lands with the potential for a real trophy and/or exotics usually reserved for the high dollar hunts. The opportunity to hunt well managed public land should not be price prohibited. I guess maybe we should leave the TPWD draw as it currently is being conducted.

Re: TPWD public drawn hunts [Re: Hgood] #6868223 08/25/17 02:03 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I don't believe in having NR's having to buy a license to apply. I apply for tags out of state and I don't have to buy their license first. What TPWD could do for NR's, is have them apply like in the old system. One place per category.
This is what I have noticed since the new system.
Fewer places in the draw.
Fewer permits in a hunt.
Fewer hunts in one place.
Every year they remove hunts or reduce the permits, I reduce my selections. I see people posting where they sent in over a $100 for these hunts. Me, 6 bucks!!! That's all they are getting from me. The more TPWD keeps cutting permits and places to hunt, I'll keep cutting my "donations"!!!

Re: TPWD public drawn hunts [Re: sqiggy] #6868308 08/25/17 02:58 PM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
Originally Posted By: sqiggy
I don't believe in having NR's having to buy a license to apply. I apply for tags out of state and I don't have to buy their license first. What TPWD could do for NR's, is have them apply like in the old system. One place per category.
This is what I have noticed since the new system.
Fewer places in the draw.
Fewer permits in a hunt.
Fewer hunts in one place.
Every year they remove hunts or reduce the permits, I reduce my selections. I see people posting where they sent in over a $100 for these hunts. Me, 6 bucks!!! That's all they are getting from me. The more TPWD keeps cutting permits and places to hunt, I'll keep cutting my "donations"!!!

Me too.

Spent little over 300.00 in last 2 years applying for myself, son, and SIL. Notta, not one damn thing.

This year spending 18.00 for Matador. Already lost the 9.00 for antlerless, I am sure I will lose the other 9.00 on Sept 16th.

Talent is a gift, character is a decision.
Re: TPWD public drawn hunts [Re: Bigfoot] #6868576 08/25/17 06:39 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
Originally Posted By: DFWpublichunter

I dont like it!! The reason they have public hunts is so they guy that cant afford a $20K hunt can go hunt. So having to spend a few hundred dollars on a license just to apply is ridiculous in my opinion and goes against what public hunting should be about. The govt is stepping on the little guy like usual.

It would not have to be "a few hundred dollars". Oklahoma has a drawn hunt system for controlled hunts similar to ours, just not near as many opportunities. It requires non residents to have a hunting license to apply, but any hunting license is ok for this. Most non residents who enter OK's draw purchase a $75 5 day hunting license. It weeds out hunters not serious about going if drawn so not wasting hunting permits a resident could have used and not wasting land manager's time with no shows. It also prevents large organised anti hunting groups from screwing with the system by rallying members to apply.

The license a non resident buys also can be for any 5 days of that year, not the week of the draw. Years ago that encouraged me to pick dates during hunting season and drive over the river for a small game hunt or two to take advantage of the license. This now years later has caused me to buy a full license every year. I hunt and spend more hunting dollars in OK now than I do Texas.

Texas should follow the same model for the same reasons. The Texas non resident 5 day hunting license is only $48. If one can't afford $48 or $78, knowing it also increases their chance of drawing a hunt by weeding others out, they are not serious about hunting there anyway. Thus part of the problem.

Re: TPWD public drawn hunts [Re: Sniper John] #6868644 08/25/17 07:49 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
The Texas non resident 5 day hunting license is only $48. If one can't afford $48 or $78, knowing it also increases their chance of drawing a hunt by weeding others out, they are not serious about hunting there anyway. Thus part of the problem.
Not for deer it isn't and most of the draw hunts are for deer. May be good for hogs and exotics, but not for deer.

Re: TPWD public drawn hunts [Re: Erny] #6869176 08/26/17 03:59 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
you can apply for draw hunts before the new licenses come out. They would have to open the draws later after the current seasons license comes out. If not they would be going off of last seasons license and you wouldn't have to buy a new one unless you get drawn. In other words it wouldn't change anything.

Re: TPWD public drawn hunts [Re: SapperTitan] #6869609 08/26/17 07:33 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
you can apply for draw hunts before the new licenses come out. They would have to open the draws later after the current seasons license comes out. If not they would be going off of last seasons license and you wouldn't have to buy a new one unless you get drawn. In other words it wouldn't change anything.

Just change the date you can buy your licence to July 1st. I think buying a licence first is a good idea. It gives a bit of an advantage to residents because non-residents would be paying more for the licence. The biggest argument IMO though for buying a licence first is other states require us to buy theirs before entering their drawings.

Re: TPWD public drawn hunts [Re: Palehorse] #6869661 08/26/17 08:33 PM
W
Whiptail Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
Originally Posted By: Palehorse
The biggest argument IMO though for buying a licence first is other states require us to buy theirs before entering their drawings.

I'd prefer other states stop requiring us to buy licenses before we can enter their draws.

Re: TPWD public drawn hunts [Re: Hgood] #6882486 09/09/17 09:10 AM
B
Brian C. Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
This year makes our sixth season with the TPWD draw hunts. I must say that this opportunity is truly deeply appreciated. I cut my teeth nearly 22 years ago hunting Type 2 land in east Texas with my father. The majority of career hunting has been on public lands so a bit accustomed I may be but alot of great memories have been made. There is nothing I would trade for the countless memories made in this great state. A few times over the years I've had access to leases and paid day leases. Although I must admit that even with the few flaws that the drawn system my hold, in my book it is an amazing opportunity for the common man to get outdoors and enjoy this great state. One thing I have noticed is the literal bending over backwards for the youth that this state puts forth and before anyone starts in on how TPWD is trying to lure in more revenue from the up and coming generation there is still a deep rooted tradition in nurturing our youth in the great outdoors. I work out of town in the oil fields and have little time for scouting or maintaining a lease if one was even in the budget. Yes the hands of the oil patch do make a fair living but supporting a family takes every dollar. So high dollar $1500+ leases are a crunch in this ole boy budget. So I'm thankful for what Parks and Wildlife has given us. Have we had bummer hunts through the draw? Sure we have but met alot of truly awesome fellow Texans along the way and been able to hunt portions of this state I may never had. These opportunities have given me a chance to pass what flows deep in blood to my kids the same as my father and so many on the forum. Hats off to Parks and Wildlife!

Last edited by Brian C.; 09/09/17 09:11 AM.

God Bless Texas!!! Godspeed our Military!
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide