G
Goodo Texas Boy Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Hello all.

Great website.

So my cousin and I have decided we wanted to deer hunt, or atleast try it to see if its something we will enjoy as a hobby and good eating going forward.

We have never hunt before (besides watching lots of hunting shows allll day and night). I always for sorry for the deer, when I see other killing it. But now after getting the hunting stations and working with many people that hunt, I have become very interested.

I live in Houston Texas, and do not own a hunting gun, no gear, never did any type of hunting. I have ate deer sausage before, and it tastes good.

I don't wanna get to overwhelmed and not enjoy myself.

Any low budget advice for us. We don't want over spend on the hobby this earlier and found out we don't like it.

Can I hunt deer with an AR-15?

Thank you kindly.

Re: Very new to Hunting [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #6866276 08/23/17 05:56 PM
G
Greg Z Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Why not pay to go on a cull hunt on a private ranch. This way you will see a little of what it is about without buying a lease or dealing with public hunting areas.

Yes you can hunt with an AR. If it is a .223 that is a very minimal round for white tail so you need to know and shoot it well and know shot placement.

Good luck!

Greg Ziemer
Sewell Lexus
214-597-6006
Life's short... Enjoy the ride!
Re: Very new to Hunting [Re: Greg Z] #6866297 08/23/17 06:22 PM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted By: Greg Z
Why not pay to go on a cull hunt on a private ranch. This way you will see a little of what it is about without buying a lease or dealing with public hunting areas.

Yes you can hunt with an AR. If it is a .223 that is a very minimal round for white tail so you need to know and shoot it well and know shot placement.

Good luck!

Thank you Greg,

What is the meaning of cull hunt ?

I thought all hunts was private

Re: Very new to Hunting [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #6866300 08/23/17 06:25 PM
S
Sparta Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
S
Unfortunately, like most hobbies, hunting is not cheap. Even budget hunters put several thousand dollars per year into the sport. However, I can tell you that once you get the bug it's over. You'll spend whatever it takes to pursue you passion.

Like Greg Z suggested. I'd go on a few paid hunts before you jump in the pool. Be sure to do some research on the ranch you choose to hunt. There are many very reputable ranches out there that offer fair chase hunts.

But be warned! Once you get the fever, it never goes away!

Re: Very new to Hunting [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #6866302 08/23/17 06:27 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Cull hunting is typically going for something specific the owner of the property wants gone. Bucks with odd racks are common, doe hunts, etc. Cull hunting is pretty exclusive to hunting on private property. Public land hunting you will follow season rules for what's in at that time.

If you're on a budget, you can pick up a used bolt-action .308/30.06 rifle with a decent scope for far less than an AR. I deer hunt with a bolt, hog hunt with the AR. Just a personal choice.

Good luck!

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Very new to Hunting [Re: CharlieCTx] #6866307 08/23/17 06:36 PM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
Cull hunting is typically going for something specific the owner of the property wants gone. Bucks with odd racks are common, doe hunts, etc. Cull hunting is pretty exclusive to hunting on private property. Public land hunting you will follow season rules for what's in at that time.

If you're on a budget, you can pick up a used bolt-action .308/30.06 rifle with a decent scope for far less than an AR. I deer hunt with a bolt, hog hunt with the AR. Just a personal choice.

Good luck!

Thanks Charlie,

Do you eat the hogs after hunting them?

Also, can you recommend good sites to buy cull hunt?

Re: Very new to Hunting [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #6866309 08/23/17 06:37 PM
H
HuntersAnonymous41 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Hello and welcome. I agree with the comments above but when you say you don't own a hunting gun, what exactly do you mean by that? Do you own a 223 but don't own anything that is typically used for deer hunting or do you not own a rifle all together? There is a lot of information on this in past threads but hunting with an AR platformed in a 223 is very frowned upon to a lot of people and is not a good round for deer. My suggestion is that if you are thinking about buying a first rifle that you can use for shooting and the possibility of hunting, then go for something else. There are a lot of other rifles that are cheap that make great fun on the range and in the deer stand. Lastly deer hunting is anything but cheap. You might think of starting with a few guided hog hunts or something along that line.

*BLLM* Black Labs Lives Matter. Point&Shoot. Conserve&Protect. Hunt&Gather
Re: Very new to Hunting [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #6866319 08/23/17 06:53 PM
D
DirtNapTET Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Oh boy, here we go...

.223 is fine, especially for the size deer you have down in that part of Tx. I would recommend going up to a 64 gr bullet though.

Poke around on the 'Outfitters& Guides' section down under 'Additional Topics', I'm sure you could find someone to accomodate you and your cousin. Also, day hunts are all over Craigslist.

Like Sparta said, hunting in general is not cheap. I wouldnt worry about going out and getting a bunch of fancy equipment until you know what you are getting yourself into. Warm clothes, a good set of binos, and a rifle is all you need starting out.

Re: Very new to Hunting [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #6866327 08/23/17 06:58 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Goodo Texas Boy

I'm fortunate in that I have a lease to hunt on, I don't have any references for you on paid hunts.

On hogs, they are tasty, but coyotes and buzzards have to eat too. I'll eat under 100lbers, but tend to target the larger ones as they hold more bullets. smile

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Very new to Hunting [Re: CharlieCTx] #6866332 08/23/17 07:03 PM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G

I'm fortunate in that I have a lease to hunt on, I don't have any references for you on paid hunts.

On hogs, they are tasty, but coyotes and buzzards have to eat too. I'll eat under 100lbers, but tend to target the larger ones as they hold more bullets. smile

Thanks Charlie,

What do you mean when you say you have a lease to hunt on? I'm sure the question is easy to answer, but I don't know what that means.

Re: Very new to Hunting [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #6866340 08/23/17 07:10 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

Thanks Charlie,

What do you mean when you say you have a lease to hunt on? I'm sure the question is easy to answer, but I don't know what that means.

Lease is a piece of property that you pay an annual sum of money to hunt on. It is privately owned by an individual who is kind enough to allow strangers to hunt his/her property. Some places have 2 hunters on the property and some have up to 50 people. There are also public hunting grounds and lottery drawn hunts you can enter.

You said you work with people who hunt, getting one of them to take you under thier wing would be the best thing for you to learn. And lots of time on the internet. Just ask questions and you will get answers on forums such as this.

Welcome to the THF! Now say goodbye to every penny you own, hunting isnt cheap!

Re: Very new to Hunting [Re: DirtNapTET] #6866350 08/23/17 07:18 PM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted By: DirtNapTET
Oh boy, here we go...

.223 is fine, especially for the size deer you have down in that part of Tx. I would recommend going up to a 64 gr bullet though.

Poke around on the 'Outfitters& Guides' section down under 'Additional Topics', I'm sure you could find someone to accomodate you and your cousin. Also, day hunts are all over Craigslist.

Like Sparta said, hunting in general is not cheap. I wouldnt worry about going out and getting a bunch of fancy equipment until you know what you are getting yourself into. Warm clothes, a good set of binos, and a rifle is all you need starting out.

Thanks ,

Yes, I don't mind spending up to $2k to $3k for some fun if I like it. It's a hobby and fun. Fun cost. I do not mind at all.

You are right. Warm clothes and a gun is all I need and let someone guide me for starters.

Re: Very new to Hunting [Re: rickym] #6866354 08/23/17 07:22 PM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted By: rickym

Thanks Charlie,

Lease is a piece of property that you pay an annual sum of money to hunt on. It is privately owned by an individual who is kind enough to allow strangers to hunt his/her property. Some places have 2 hunters on the property and some have up to 50 people. There are also public hunting grounds and lottery drawn hunts you can enter.

You said you work with people who hunt, getting one of them to take you under thier wing would be the best thing for you to learn. And lots of time on the internet. Just ask questions and you will get answers on forums such as this.

Yes, nearly every man work here has hunt before , except me. Lol.

One guy owns about 700 acers and needs hunters. He charging 600 dollars to hunt. But I would have to actually hunt my own deer, meaning by camera and hunting stand and feeder. Lol, he want show me where the deer is.

Re: Very new to Hunting [Re: HuntersAnonymous41] #6866357 08/23/17 07:24 PM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted By: HuntersAnonymous41
Hello and welcome. I agree with the comments above but when you say you don't own a hunting gun, what exactly do you mean by that? Do you own a 223 but don't own anything that is typically used for deer hunting or do you not own a rifle all together? There is a lot of information on this in past threads but hunting with an AR platformed in a 223 is very frowned upon to a lot of people and is not a good round for deer. My suggestion is that if you are thinking about buying a first rifle that you can use for shooting and the possibility of hunting, then go for something else. There are a lot of other rifles that are cheap that make great fun on the range and in the deer stand. Lastly deer hunting is anything but cheap. You might think of starting with a few guided hog hunts or something along that line.

Thanks,

I don't own any rifle guns nor never shot any. I was planning on buying one and go to the shoot in range for target practice.

Guided hunts sounds good for starters.

Re: Very new to Hunting [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #6866363 08/23/17 07:30 PM
D
Da' Hitman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I'm afraid some of these answers might scare you away from a great time learning to deer hunt. You can buy a Savage 30.06 with a scope already mounted for under $375 and buy a pop-up blind for under $50. That way all you need is black clothes. Buy some scent control for less than $15. Then all you need to find is a place to hunt. Learn to see deer tracks and rubs and set up your blind.

Re: Very new to Hunting [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #6866365 08/23/17 07:30 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
welcome Use to be Savage had a good inexpensive 270 bolt with scope that was a great deal for a starter up

$300.00 new at Academy and I am sure you could get one for less if you looked around!

The Savage Axis XP .270 Winchester Bolt-Action Rifle comes with a 3 - 9 x 40 Weaver scope and a detachable box magazine. The rifle features a synthetic stock and a matte blued barrel. Made in USA.

Last edited by Stub; 08/23/17 07:35 PM.

texas flag

Re: Very new to Hunting [Re: rickym] #6866387 08/23/17 08:02 PM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted By: rickym

Thanks Charlie,

So for your lease, do someone show you where the deer is located or do you have to setup feeder and stand anD locate deer yourself?

Re: Very new to Hunting [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #6866417 08/23/17 08:26 PM
S
Sparta Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
S
Most leases you find are already well established. Meaning a group of hunters have been hunting the area for quite some time and one or more of the members decide to leave. In this case, you will most likely be assigned an area or you will be shown where the other stands/feeders are located and be asked to stay x distance away.

Some are community lease. In this case, any hunter can hunt any stand. You will most likely be required to provide at least one stand and feeder. In most community leases a fund is setup at the beginning of each year to cover the cost of corn and maintenance.

If you have some cash (and luck) you can find a lease that is either not being hunted or the entire group is coming off. In this case, you can lease the place and find the extra guns to cover the max gun number set by the land owner. Then you have free reign to decide how you want to setup the lease (as long as you follow land owner and state/county rules).

Re: Very new to Hunting [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #6866486 08/23/17 09:24 PM
D
Da' Hitman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
If you work with other hunters, I would be shocked if none of them would let you tag along at least once. Start talking to friends or people you see regularly at work and you will probably find someone with land you can hunt

Re: Very new to Hunting [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #6866491 08/23/17 09:30 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
welcome ta texasHF...
2cents if ya wanna lurn bout hunting, pick up a bow, can look on line for a used one, talk ta friends at work, target & practice... some have vital areas on them, if bow is tuned in, half a day will get ya familiarized... Its for short range, good cheap climbing stand, check puplic hunting sección for area close to ya...

Bye limiting your range, youll learn more, teaches ya patiants, from stand can observe wildife... Then theirs the prosessing of meat... If rifle SavagUe did make great rifles... Son & i got one in the .270cal. & got one in.243 for wife... at walmart, back then rifle & scope, less than $200.00 just got ti learn your range, most deer taken under 100yrds, & leases were on under 50yrds... Hogs are good intro for hunting... plenty options, can do a
do it yourself hunt on public or guided, or day hunt, & ya wont have ta learn ta judge the age nor letten em grow... Lots of info around... Best wishes, i got cheap posts... flag

Last edited by colt.45; 08/23/17 09:33 PM.

i'm postaddic
Re: Very new to Hunting [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #6866573 08/23/17 11:10 PM
D
DH3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
If you do not own a gun, you can get a scope equipped, bolt action rifle for a lot less cash than an AR-15. Carters Country advertises them weekly.
Much easier to get a rifle in a caliber more suited to deer hunting than an AR and save some money to boot.
Take it to a gun range and ask for help until you can shoot accurately. If you find that hunting is not for you, you can sell the rifle with minimal loss at a gun show.

Old age and treachery beats youth and stupid every time!
Re: Very new to Hunting [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #6866587 08/23/17 11:21 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
It sounds like you need to get a mentor to teach you and the cousin how to hunt and what to do. Talk to your buddies at work and ask for help. You can't learn much from the internet. Most people who hunt have done it since they were children and had an adult to tell them right from wrong in no uncertain terms. I wouldn't let a grown first year hunter on a lease of mine without knowing they had someone to teach and vouch for them. I would trust a seasoned hunter with a fifth of whiskey in him before I'd trust a first timer.

Re: Very new to Hunting [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #6866651 08/24/17 12:05 AM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
It's simple, keep it simple. And the wind and sky and all of that too. It aint a big new truck slash big shinny rim and lift kit contest. AKA ego. Keep it real and enjoy real life nature and soak up the cool air.

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: Very new to Hunting [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #6866782 08/24/17 01:41 AM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I would suggest getting a .22 and starting out with small game, after you get your hunter safety course out of the way. You can hunt up in the Sam Houston National Forest right up the road from you. Small game like squirrel and rabbit provide a lot more action and you develop hunting skills a lot faster. It's more fun than a barrel of monkeys too!

Re: Very new to Hunting [Re: Greg Z] #6866924 08/24/17 05:02 AM
G
Greg Z Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
You are taking does or bucks they wish to remove from the property. It will cost less than paying thousands for a trophy hunt. Check the outfitter and guide section of this forum.

Greg Ziemer
Sewell Lexus
214-597-6006
Life's short... Enjoy the ride!
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide