Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,021
Posts9,719,484
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Thoughts on sites like TexasHuntingPost, Leasehunter, etc... #6864798 08/22/17 01:11 PM
S
s1rGr1nG0 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
I've been looking around on several sites that land owners can post up available spots for lease. Anyone ever use those sites? What's your experience been?
I don't personally know anyone that owns land or land really big enough to hunt. Some of the postings seem pretty decent and I've seen some that vary in size and price.
Just looking for some input since I would like to possibly get my family, (wife and 2 daughters), a small lease for 2018. I would really be the only one hunting but will hopefully getting my 9 year old in a stand with me at some point to see how she likes it. She's expressed an interest in it so I think a small lease would be great for us.

Re: Thoughts on sites like TexasHuntingPost, Leasehunter, etc... [Re: s1rGr1nG0] #6864819 08/22/17 01:37 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I used sites like this several years ago and it's about a 50/50 proposition. I had luck on one place found using these search methods and actually a friend I was hunting with is still on the place after about 10 years. Everything after that has been local contacts and word of mouth and I have had very good luck with that method.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: Thoughts on sites like TexasHuntingPost, Leasehunter, etc... [Re: s1rGr1nG0] #6864860 08/22/17 02:17 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Post exactly what your looking for, i.e. family welcome etc..in the hunting lease section.

From my experience, small properties for one hunter and his family are extremely difficult to find unless they are over priced and over hunted. If you find one that's typical, not a good experience for your young kids and wife to deal with trespassers and poachers, which is quite common on small properties. Because of this dynamic, hunts are usually boring for young kids that are new to hunting because you see very few animals.

There are larger well managed properties that are family oriented. You just have to be vigilant in finding them. They are much more enjoyable for your entire family. Go to feed stores in the area you want to hunt and ask them for contact info for ranchers they deliver wildlife feed to.

Good luck. up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Thoughts on sites like TexasHuntingPost, Leasehunter, etc... [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6864996 08/22/17 04:01 PM
S
s1rGr1nG0 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Post exactly what your looking for, i.e. family welcome etc..in the hunting lease section.

From my experience, small properties for one hunter and his family are extremely difficult to find unless they are over priced and over hunted. If you find one that's typical, not a good experience for your young kids and wife to deal with trespassers and poachers, which is quite common on small properties. Because of this dynamic, hunts are usually boring for young kids that are new to hunting because you see very few animals.

There are larger well managed properties that are family oriented. You just have to be vigilant in finding them. They are much more enjoyable for your entire family. Go to feed stores in the area you want to hunt and ask them for contact info for ranchers they deliver wildlife feed to.

Good luck. up

One thing I noticed, especially on some of the bigger places is that the listing says something like 25 or even 50 hunters. Is that correct? Not sure I'd like to be on a lease with the potential of 30-40 other people. I know that there are some that will only show up only once or twice a season but with that many openings how/who decides where you hunt?

Re: Thoughts on sites like TexasHuntingPost, Leasehunter, etc... [Re: s1rGr1nG0] #6865235 08/22/17 07:21 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: s1rGr1nG0

Good luck. up

One thing I noticed, especially on some of the bigger places is that the listing says something like 25 or even 50 hunters. Is that correct? Not sure I'd like to be on a lease with the potential of 30-40 other people. I know that there are some that will only show up only once or twice a season but with that many openings how/who decides where you hunt?

Just scroll right past anything like this. If you're a serious hunter, you won't be happy, don't even bother with the math of who, what, where and when. If you're a beer drinking campfire guy, then maybe. Many LO's care little about people #'s as long as the money # is right. There are parts of the state where you can hunt more guns per acre. Where I hunt, it's 1 per section and frankly, that's a little to close for comfort for me; however one is an older gentlemen that shows up with his son, my buddy, twice a year or so and we have two separate properties totaling 2000 acres so that give us about a 1000 acres each. To each is own, just be sure you know what your getting yourself into and always assume worse case scenario, IE everyone will be down when you are.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: Thoughts on sites like TexasHuntingPost, Leasehunter, etc... [Re: s1rGr1nG0] #6865250 08/22/17 07:35 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: s1rGr1nG0

Good luck. up

As Shawn mentioned, this would be a no go for what your looking for. And for what I look for as well. We hunt on 10,000 acres and there are 10 of us. We are set up where if you wanna spend time around a common camp fire for all members, great. But if you don't you are welcome to set up your own for you and your guests. Every lease is different, so you just need to ask the right questions and always ask for references from other hunters that hunt there.

A lot depends on where you hunt because deer density will vary a great deal geographically in Texas.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Thoughts on sites like TexasHuntingPost, Leasehunter, etc... [Re: s1rGr1nG0] #6865685 08/23/17 02:40 AM
S
sbushee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I found my current lease on leasehunter. Found it in two days and feel I was pretty lucky. I have also reached out directly to large ranches that have hunting operations. Two contacted me this year with spots and they are wonderful ranches, but I was already committed to my current lease by the time they got back to me. You can find a place, but it takes patience.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide