Forums46
Topics537,992
Posts9,731,491
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: J.G.] #6870257 08/27/17 02:59 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: rickym
My guess would be that many people shoot their gun throughout the year.

Based on my personal experience and the replies posted in past threads, your guess would be flat out wrong. The words "check your zero" that so many throw around just before the season opener points to it being extremely common for hunters to fire nothing more than two or three practice shots between entire seasons. The cost of ammo, not to mention the discomfort of shooting a large bore rifle that kicks the crap out of them, are likely the primary drivers behind such behavior. It's nothing short of humorous how guys somehow view shooting as vastly different than any other sport where they would be laughed at for somehow believing they can perform at a competent level with practically no practice at all. But oh the fun of watching them cuss and stomp around camp on opening morning after missing the buck of a lifetime. Don't waste your time trying to convince him that "You play the way you practice" applies to shooting as much as it does with any other sport. Just call them "one shot wonders" and be done with it.

The most I've ever agreed with one of your posts.

Agree but depending on where and how people hunt I do not believe it's necessary to shoot every week or even every month. Just like in all sports you can prepare by shooting a few times before the start of the season and if you're relatively competent you should be good to go as long as you know your ability and limitations.

And I shoot almost every week.

Last edited by Deerhunter61; 08/27/17 03:00 PM.
Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: SapperTitan] #6870343 08/27/17 04:20 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Originally Posted By: Jgraider
Originally Posted By: jakebunch
" Mule Deer buck I shot at 275 yards on a trot through the heart."

How does one practice for a shot like that so as to have a high degree of certainty in making a fatal shot? How much lead was required to place the bullet in the heart? I am trying to envision the hold which would have been x amount in front and x amount high(for most rifles).

Quite frankly, IMO it takes a lot of luck to pull of shots like that consistently.
if it were luck it wouldn't happen consistently

Consistently is the key word...you don't make shots like that "consistently" without practice and being pretty talented.

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: Deerhunter61] #6870478 08/27/17 07:05 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
Originally Posted By: jakebunch
" Mule Deer buck I shot at 275 yards on a trot through the heart."

How does one practice for a shot like that so as to have a high degree of certainty in making a fatal shot? How much lead was required to place the bullet in the heart? I am trying to envision the hold which would have been x amount in front and x amount high(for most rifles).

Quite frankly, IMO it takes a lot of luck to pull of shots like that consistently.

Consistently is the key word...you don't make shots like that "consistently" without practice and being pretty talented.

I'm not disparaging PP in any way, but nobody makes running/trotting shots on deer at 275 very consistently IME. I'd wager it's a 50% of the time deal if your lucky.

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: StephensCnty308] #6870498 08/27/17 07:32 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
zero percent chance for me bc I'm not desperate enough to shoot at a running deer

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: SapperTitan] #6870525 08/27/17 08:13 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
zero percent chance for me bc I'm not desperate enough to shoot at a running deer

Me neither. I shoot at running hogs from time to time. I'd say I'm about 50/50 on them. I'll wait for a better shot on a deer/something else I want to be sure on. I'm no expert on the runners. Walking - OK if I'm sure they're not going to stop.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: HWY_MAN] #6870591 08/27/17 09:19 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Well since I pretty much shoot daily it's just a matter of switching out rifles. Shooting jackrabbits with a 257 or 300 Weatherby has some rather dramatic results. I probably haven't shot off a bench in over 25 years. As far as cleaning them it depends on whether I feel like it. Didn't clean the Weatherbys after last year and may not this year other than a wipe down. Year before last I only put one shot through the 257 Roy and only one last year. With that said were I to mishandle a rifle I would probably go back and check it's zero, other than that I have no reason to. Good scope and mounts, mounted properly and there's not much can go wrong unless it's mishandled.

up

Sort of like my situation, I carry my deer rifle in a solid case that is foamed lined. It is also stored in the same case, when I get to the cabin, it is removed and stored in a rack until ready to shoot. It is 20 something years old and still looks as good today as when it was purchased. I can't remember the last time I checked zero at a range, the deer that have filled the freezer haven't complained yet.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: Jgraider] #6870597 08/27/17 09:27 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
[quote=jakebunch]" Mule Deer buck I shot at 275 yards on a trot through the heart."

I'm not disparaging PP in any way, but nobody makes running/trotting shots on deer at 275 very consistently IME. I'd wager it's a 50% of the time deal if your lucky.

There are shooters I know of that would take your money then. Nobody is a pretty bold statement.

I'd take that bet myself and I hope I get another opportunity like that to find out! lol. So far I'm 100 %.

I wish I could find the video that was posted on this forum of a guy in Germany shooting running hogs through the forest with a bolt action. Maybe one of the members can post it up?

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: StephensCnty308] #6870616 08/27/17 09:42 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
It was a Sauer video. He was using a Sauer 202 IIRC. He was obviously very, very proficient at running shots.

I'm sure that's why he was featured by Sauer in the video. smile

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: StephensCnty308] #6870618 08/27/17 09:45 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I have no problem taking running shots on hogs and coyotes some Ive hit some not but I wouldn't want to take that chance on a deer just my choice I guess.

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: SapperTitan] #6870620 08/27/17 09:47 PM
P
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

Desperate or confident enough? My first buck was a six point I shot standing with no rest. It was running at 175 yards from my right to left broadside. Ask my brother next time you see him, he was standing next to me.

I think I probably learned these instincts the most shooting swimming ducks with my pellet gun. I had a Sheridan silver streak with a scope on it that I hunted everything with. I've killed more squirrel with that gun than any other to this day. Lol.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6870633 08/27/17 10:02 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Desperate or confident enough? My first buck was a six point I shot standing with no rest. It was running at 175 yards from my right to left broadside. Ask my brother next time you see him, he was standing next to me.

I think I probably learned these instincts the most shooting swimming ducks with my pellet gun. I had a Sheridan silver streak with a scope on it that I hunted everything with. I've killed more squirrel with that gun than any other to this day. Lol.
I don't think it has anything to do with confidence I just feel like I'll have more chances with bucks not running. A trot now that would be different I think I'd take that shot but a deer in full sprint I just don't wanna attempt it. I've never had to make that choice though bc all the deer I have shot were either stationary or walking slowly. I didn't hunt from about 13-25 or so, so I don't have near as many years of hunting under my belt.

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6870786 08/28/17 12:36 AM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

There are shooters I know of that would take your money then. Nobody is a pretty bold statement.

I'd take that bet myself and I hope I get another opportunity like that to find out! lol. So far I'm 100 %.

I wish I could find the video that was posted on this forum of a guy in Germany shooting running hogs through the forest with a bolt action. Maybe one of the members can post it up?

I'd still feel pretty safe taking that bet. You are right about saying "nobody" though, as I'm sure there are some, but few and very far in between, in my experience. Maybe your one of them PP, who knows? My experience includes both myself and friends hunting over the past 45 years, as well as having about 150 hunters in our camps over the past 12 years or so. Have I ever done it, of course. Can I do it every time, no way.

Id did manage to knock down this 190" buck, running, at 140 yds though. offhand. A follow up shot was necessary though, to be honest.

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: StephensCnty308] #6870823 08/28/17 01:05 AM
P
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Nice buck Jgraider. up

Like you, I don't wait for a second chance at big bucks if I'm confident I can make the shot, even if it's not ideal.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: StephensCnty308] #6870836 08/28/17 01:10 AM
P
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6870845 08/28/17 01:18 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Nice buck Jgraider. up

Like you, I don't wait for a second chance at big bucks if I'm confident I can make the shot, even if it's not ideal.
I've never had a chance at a BIG buck 150 plus if I did maybe I would take a running shot haha

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6870847 08/28/17 01:20 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: StephensCnty308] #6870857 08/28/17 01:28 AM
S
Stratgolfer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I've watched that video before, amazing

"I was called by the Yorkers a outlaw, and later by the english a rebel" Ethan Allen
Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6870873 08/28/17 01:42 AM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

Wow! Talented guy. Thanks for posting that.

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: Deerhunter61] #6871077 08/28/17 11:07 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Based on my personal experience and the replies posted in past threads, your guess would be flat out wrong. The words "check your zero" that so many throw around just before the season opener points to it being extremely common for hunters to fire nothing more than two or three practice shots between entire seasons. The cost of ammo, not to mention the discomfort of shooting a large bore rifle that kicks the crap out of them, are likely the primary drivers behind such behavior. It's nothing short of humorous how guys somehow view shooting as vastly different than any other sport where they would be laughed at for somehow believing they can perform at a competent level with practically no practice at all. But oh the fun of watching them cuss and stomp around camp on opening morning after missing the buck of a lifetime. Don't waste your time trying to convince him that "You play the way you practice" applies to shooting as much as it does with any other sport. Just call them "one shot wonders" and be done with it.

The most I've ever agreed with one of your posts.

Agree but depending on where and how people hunt I do not believe it's necessary to shoot every week or even every month. Just like in all sports you can prepare by shooting a few times before the start of the season and if you're relatively competent you should be good to go as long as you know your ability and limitations.

There is quite a difference between a hunter and a shooter.
My wife fired three practice shots ten years ago, and has killed 20+ deer (axis, blackbuck, whitetail, fallow, etc) and at least 60 pigs, and she is 100% on kills. She just doesn't like to shoot.
And then I had shooter that put 1000s of round a year through a bulls-eye and flat out miss a broad side pig at 75 yards.
I know these two examples of actual events are not true for all. But I can list dozens of hunters that I know that check zero, then go get a deer without question. I have hunters come out all of the time that haven't shot a gun in years, and they have no problem getting an animal. They just don't like to shoot a lot.
As mentioned before, I can show a 10 year old how to shoot with just a few rounds, and we will have the first deer that appears on the ground. I do this all of the time.
If you like to shoot, fine, shoot away. It doesn't mean that everyone else needs to.
If you need practice, then practice, again it doesn't mean that everyone else needs to.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: StephensCnty308] #6871265 08/28/17 02:48 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher

There is quite a difference between a hunter and a shooter.
My wife fired three practice shots ten years ago, and has killed 20+ deer (axis, blackbuck, whitetail, fallow, etc) and at least 60 pigs, and she is 100% on kills. She just doesn't like to shoot.
And then I had shooter that put 1000s of round a year through a bulls-eye and flat out miss a broad side pig at 75 yards.
I know these two examples of actual events are not true for all. But I can list dozens of hunters that I know that check zero, then go get a deer without question. I have hunters come out all of the time that haven't shot a gun in years, and they have no problem getting an animal. They just don't like to shoot a lot.
As mentioned before, I can show a 10 year old how to shoot with just a few rounds, and we will have the first deer that appears on the ground. I do this all of the time.
If you like to shoot, fine, shoot away. It doesn't mean that everyone else needs to.
If you need practice, then practice, again it doesn't mean that everyone else needs to.

I agree. My brother was a VERY good target shooter but put him on game and he simply didn't shoot as well. I used to be a pretty bad "target shooter, I've gotten better through practice, but put me on game or even just shooting at objects other than targets and I've always been pretty good, especially when I was younger and I really didn't need to practice. It was always good to take the rifle to the range right before the season started just to make sure it was still sighted in...provided a sense of confidence.

I do wonder if some of the folks that don't enjoy shooting is because the rifle they choose to hunt with kicks the daylights out of them. My stepson wanted a canon, 300 mag, as his first rifle until I talked to him about it then he changed his mind.

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: StephensCnty308] #6871269 08/28/17 02:54 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
It is very possible, and I have done it. I shot a large boar right at 200 yards on a full run with an AR-15 in 223 with 68 grain BTHP. Long story short, we were stopped at a gate opening it, when one of the boys say a lone boar trotting towards us. He was coming from about 500-600 yards away in high grass. The boar was coming directly from our 9 o'clock and the truck was perfectly sideways. I went prone on the tool box in the bed of the truck. I waited for what seemed like a minute or two for the boar to get closer. Finally, he saw us right at about 200 yards out. He froze, it was a Mexican stand off. I finally decided to send a round right on his head. I was shooting a 1-4 Burris XTR scope, and put the 200 yard hold right on his forehead. I sent the round, and the dust kicked up on his forehead right where I was holding. The boar turned and ran straight left. I put about a 1 1/2 body length lead on him, and sent another round. That round hit him mid section and took out his rear legs. He went down squealing, and lifted his head up. I sent 2 more rounds and he goes down, then comes back up for 2 more rounds. I sent 4 volleys of 2 shots each before he stopped raising his head (the 68 grain BTHP bullets are the worst for hunting!!) This was just one of many animals I have shot on the move. Multiple coyotes have been taken when running through my hunting area when hunting. Most of the time they will need a full body length to 2 full lengths of lead, depending on how fast they are moving.

My buddy told me that when the pig ran off after the first shot, he thought that pig was gone. My thought was, when I saw him take off running sideways to me, I knew I had his a$$. That shot is a very make-able shot for me, and is one I have practiced many times in competition and in competition preparation. My point is, some people are very confident in longer range shots and in their ability, and even on moving targets. And honestly, I am more confident on moving shots at longer ranges than I am on closer range moving targets. Closer range targets require you to move your rifle much faster sideways to catch up to the moving target, and often times you have too much magnification to adequately see your target. At further ranges, you do not have to move the rifle near as much and have a better field of view to make the shot. Someone who does not shoot a lot or understand elevation and holds for movers wouldn't understand this.

Making a comment or statement that this is an unethical shot, should never be attempted, or a low percentage shot, IMO, is false. There are many shooters out there that can make these shots on a regular basis and have the gear and ability to do so.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: StephensCnty308] #6894500 09/21/17 04:59 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
scratch

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: fouzman] #6896622 09/23/17 09:55 PM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: fouzman
I check my zero with a cold, clean bore. The same way it will be when I'm hunting.

Yes. rifle

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: pigplinker] #6896683 09/23/17 11:21 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: pigplinker
I check my zero with a cold, clean bore. The same way it will be when I'm hunting.

Yes. rifle

After cleaning, your gun will not be fouled in and can easily throw a shot. It's not what I recommend, but if it works for pie plate accuracy for you, then it will work. If precision is the goal, that won't work.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: ChadTRG42] #6896688 09/23/17 11:25 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Originally Posted By: pigplinker

Yes. rifle

After cleaning, your gun will not be fouled in and can easily throw a shot. It's not what I recommend, but if it works for pie plate accuracy for you, then it will work. If precision is the goal, that won't work.
plus I hate cleaning guns maybe because i was forced to do it all the time in the Army. I shot a buck I. December last yr and haven't shot my rifle or cleaned it since. Went to the range couple days ago and it was dead on at 100 yds. No way in hell im touching the barrel.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide