Forums46
Topics538,022
Posts9,731,932
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6867703 08/24/17 10:40 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
To each their own. If you don't like shooting your guns then don't shoot them.

I would agree for most hunters shooting with a steady rest not more than 150 yards once a good shooting technique is learned that skill will remain for most.

For those type of hunters, they would of watched the 178 inch Mule Deer buck I shot at 275 yards on a trot through the heart trot away and dreamed of one day getting a shot at a buck like that they can make.....with a solid rest standing broadside at 150 yards or less. I did have shooting sticks but only had about ten seconds to sit down, get my sticks solid and make the shot. Some would call it lucky, I call it preparation paying off.

From practicing at different distances in varying shooting positions gives me confidence I can make those shots.

Nice shooting PP. If I waited for the perfect shot at those big mule deer bucks, I wouldn't get much shooting done. I've killed big bucks at 30 yds, and 458 yds. You never know.

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: Dustnsand] #6867802 08/25/17 12:31 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: z71dustin
I will shoot 1-3 rounds before season to see if the gun is still MOD (minute of deer) and go hunt.

A box of ammo in a larger caliber rifle usually lasts me 5 plus years.

So you're ok with gut shots, brisket shots, hip shots. That's minute of deer.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: jeffbird] #6867823 08/25/17 12:45 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by jeffbird
NP,

The men that can afford a Yukon sheep hunt are highly successful at their chosen path in life.

They likely can afford almost any rifle and scope made and have it in their hands within a week with a call.

Finding time for some practice is a far harder challenge for someone successfully running a business.

Finding the self-awareness to set aside their egos and admit that they would benefit from some instruction is an even bigger challenge as you obviously saw.

So your observation does not surprise me at all.

The problem was not the equipment as the guide demonstrated.

They can buy equipment, but not proficiency which has no shortcuts other than practice.

I remember a ranch owner who catered to wealthy hunters telling me that whenever he saw a new Weatherby rifle come out of a gun case he knew it was going to be a long night tracking deer with dogs.

I could walk out the door and buy a copy of this guitar 20 minutes down the street from my office here in Austin.

But, I cannot buy the decades of practice to make it produce these sounds.

Thank you PP.

Wife and I have made new friends via my daughter's friends parents (if that makes sense).

Bill is one of the dad's. He and I have had lots of conversations. He has worked very, very hard and made a good living. Money is not a problem for him. I treat him just like anyone else, weather you make a million a year, or 20,000.

He gave me Carte Blanche with a rifle build, and has been buying what I tell him to. Donor action, barrel, bottom metal, stock, pic rail, rings, scope, all of it. I will develop a hand load for it, reproduce it, and get DOPE to 800 on it, before he ever lays hands on his rifle. Then he knows, he and I are going to spend many, many hours training with his new Ferrari. He knows what he doesn't know, and he is humble enough to allow me to take him through it, step by step.

He also knows I'm devious enough that if he ever acts like things have become easy, I will certainly make it difficult with a challenge. What that will yield is having experienced such challenge, such discomfort, that when the shot on the Mulie in SW Texas arises, he should be better prepared to drive that Ferrari to the checkered flag.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: StephensCnty308] #6867909 08/25/17 02:04 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Jeff-

One of those guys got a small ram and flew home early. One didn't get a ram and flew home early anyway. They were both out of the big ram game (actually they were never in it) long before their shooting became a factor one way or the other. That's normally the way it goes with sheep hunting.

You can't buy fitness or "want to" either.

It usually takes some amount of affluence to sheep hunt (at least regularly). But that's not to say that affluence can buy a sheep - it can only buy a ticket hunt them.

(Unless one buys a NWT helicopter hunt where the chopper takes you up the mountain and then back down again after the deed is done. But that's another story.)

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: StephensCnty308] #6867911 08/25/17 02:05 AM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Reminds me of my nephew's first mule deer. I got him a T3 in 7-08, topped it with a 3.5-10x44 Conquest, loaded up some Win brass with 45g Varget and a 140 partition, put about 25 rounds down the tube, then went hunting. We like simple.

[img:left][/img]

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: StephensCnty308] #6868041 08/25/17 05:07 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
NP,
physical conditioning really takes time and dedication, way more than shooting practice. So that makes sense and no surprise they were not ready to hike the miles needed to produce a good result. Makes me shake my head why someone would spend that kind of money and not prepare thoroughly for every aspect. Obviously you did and it paid results- very nice ram. up

Nice deer JGR. up

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: J.G.] #6868193 08/25/17 01:24 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
I will shoot 1-3 rounds before season to see if the gun is still MOD (minute of deer) and go hunt.

I thought it was clearly a joke but I guess not.

If a rifle is grouping ok and going where I want it to I'm fine. It doesn't have to be perfect and I don't have to shoot more than a couple of rounds a year to figure that out. Last mulie I shot went down with a neck shot about 200 yds out so it works for me.

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: Dustnsand] #6868201 08/25/17 01:40 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

If a rifle is grouping ok and going where I want it to I'm fine. It doesn't have to be perfect and I don't have to shoot more than a couple of rounds a year to figure that out. Last mulie I shot went down with a neck shot about 200 yds out so it works for me.

I got what you were saying.

Every hunter owes it to the game we hunt to learn to shoot. For shots under, say, 300 yards it certainly requires mastery of the basics (firm to the shoulder, trigger control, breath control, get steady - usually a good rest). Those basics can be acquired with practice - whether that means range time or growing up shooting. And rifles must be checked for proper zero.

My only point on the subject is, IMO, that basic proficiency doesn't require hours of range time and 5000 rounds every year to acquire/maintain. A carpenter doesn't spend his weekends practicing with his nailgun. He knows how to use it.

LR shooting/hunting - a whole different ballgame. Everyone needs to know their limitations and keep within them.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: Dustnsand] #6868316 08/25/17 03:02 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Sorry I didn't get the joke. up

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: StephensCnty308] #6868581 08/25/17 06:44 PM
R
rex47 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
I was going to step up to 165 or 178 gr in my 308 for elk hunting. My rifle taught me a lesson, it will be 155gr. I decided i would rather have 3 155gr in an inch than 3-165,178 in 3inches.

when the going gets really tough, I sit down and rest
Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: StephensCnty308] #6868601 08/25/17 07:03 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
My rifles get shot yr around but I still like to take them to the range right before deer season and make sure, they are always dead on but why take any chances

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6868839 08/25/17 11:10 PM
J
jakebunch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
" Mule Deer buck I shot at 275 yards on a trot through the heart."

How does one practice for a shot like that so as to have a high degree of certainty in making a fatal shot? How much lead was required to place the bullet in the heart? I am trying to envision the hold which would have been x amount in front and x amount high(for most rifles).

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: jakebunch] #6868847 08/25/17 11:24 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: jakebunch

How does one practice for a shot like that so as to have a high degree of certainty in making a fatal shot? How much lead was required to place the bullet in the heart? I am trying to envision the hold which would have been x amount in front and x amount high(for most rifles).

If you shoot 1,000's of jackrabbits on the move and hundreds of deer and coyotes you just throw it up and shoot. Or you could spend every weekend at the range, "Practicing" and think it over while the deer runs off.

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: J.G.] #6868920 08/26/17 12:27 AM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

Sorry I didn't get the joke. up

Poor attempt at humor.

I do not shoot long range like you or any form of competitive shooting and would get my [censored] handed to me if I did because I don't shoot often. I enjoy shooting handguns and lever guns and shotguns but rarely shoot larger centerfire rifles except to hunt. I feel confident in my abilities and guns when I do hunt to take certain shots with success with limited range time. I do not feel the need to shoot year round for hunting but nothing against those that do. They deserve success for putting in the extra time to be successful but at the same time I just don't feel it is a necessity.

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: jakebunch] #6868931 08/26/17 12:33 AM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

Quite frankly, IMO it takes a lot of luck to pull of shots like that consistently.

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: Jgraider] #6868942 08/26/17 12:39 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: Jgraider

Quite frankly, IMO it takes a lot of luck to pull of shots like that consistently.
if it were luck it wouldn't happen consistently

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: StephensCnty308] #6868973 08/26/17 12:56 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
A standard reference for walking is 3 mph.

In a 308 with a 175 SMK that is 6 - 7 MOA.

This is where more advanced reticles become helpful.

Most ballistic software has the ability to calculate lead tailored for the bullet. Use 3 mph for a basic walking speed.

There are a handful ranges that have moving targets for practice.

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: Dustnsand] #6868976 08/26/17 12:57 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I do not shoot long range like you or any form of competitive shooting and would get my [censored] handed to me if I did because I don't shoot often. I enjoy shooting handguns and lever guns and shotguns but rarely shoot larger centerfire rifles except to hunt. I feel confident in my abilities and guns when I do hunt to take certain shots with success with limited range time. I do not feel the need to shoot year round for hunting but nothing against those that do. They deserve success for putting in the extra time to be successful but at the same time I just don't feel it is a necessity.

I'm not accusing you of this.

The person that hunts from a box blind, over looking a feeder or two, the same way every season, doesn't really need to work on practicing varying distance, or varying positions. Their shots are pretty much going to be the same every time. I would venture to say most blind to feeder distance do not exceed 150 yards, in Texas. And it's none of my business that someone harvests animals that way, heck ive done it! In that scenario, have a rock solid zero, verify it, and enjoy.

Then there are those of us that like to move, cover ground, and use what ever is available to support the rifle (hopefully there's something there). Some of us get into some pretty open country, with some varying distances, and terrain. The guys that hunt that way benefit from practicing the shooting positions they may find themselves in, as well as getting proficient at the distances they may encounter. They too need a rock solid zero, at whatever distance they feel suits them best. I completely understand zeroing the 3-9X duplex scope at 200 yards. You can find how high you are at 100, and how low you are at 250, and 300 yards. But go find out, don't assume. I've had friends bring scopes like that onto my range, and zero exactly that way. I've never told anyone they can't shoot at my steel to find their holds, I encourage it. Run what you brung, and get proficient with it.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: jeffbird] #6868981 08/26/17 01:03 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: jeffbird
There are a handful ranges that have moving targets for practice.

I'm in the brainstorming stage of building a mover. They are very fun!

This year at The Heatstroke Open, there was a tough mover stage.

Mover at 340 yards X 3 shots.

Static (6 o'clock from mover) at 360 yards X 1 shot

Mover x 3 shots

Static (11 o'clock from mover) at 550 yards X 1 shot.

Mover x 3 shots

Static (2 o'clock from mover) at 720 yards X 1 shot.

The mover was moving fast! Like a man at a run, and I think it was a 50% IPSC. I guessed it at a 2.0 Mil lead, and was right, thank God.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: jakebunch] #6869343 08/26/17 01:26 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

Rolling targets, skeet shooting and dove hunting developed this shooting instinct and keep it for me. Every time I've had to use it I didn't have time to figure out mils, lol. For this opportunity I held high shoulder height and lead was squeezing when cross hairs touched the edge of his front profile.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: StephensCnty308] #6870075 08/27/17 04:38 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Many of the comments appear to point to the fact that some guys enjoy shooting while others for one reason or another do not. IMO, investing in a firearm is no different than investing in a vehicle. It provides pleasure and enjoyment every time you get the chance to use it. Otherwise, you might just as well put in a case or garage for looks only.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: StephensCnty308] #6870108 08/27/17 05:15 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
The only time I shoot shot shell out of my shotgun is while dove hunting, no practice and somehow I still hit em roflmao

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: StephensCnty308] #6870131 08/27/17 06:28 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Why not shoot the rifle a few times a year? It really is a hell of a time.

I took my big gun on an axis does hunt earlier this year. Used Jasons range to confirm 100yd zero and 1 moa dope to 300 as that was my comfort zone. The blind was not the steadiest of rest and I had to improvise pretty quickly but utilizing that knowledge I knew what I had to do and quickly did it. POI was right where it should have been. Young hunter should have aimed higher but that doe is in the freezer. I unzipped her and did most of the gutting by bullet. Not proud of it but it is what it is.

[Linked Image]
Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: Texas Dan] #6870197 08/27/17 01:42 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Many of the comments appear to point to the fact that some guys enjoy shooting while others for one reason or another do not. IMO, investing in a firearm is no different than investing in a vehicle. It provides pleasure and enjoyment every time you get the chance to use it. Otherwise, you might just as well put in a case or garage for looks only.

rolleyes

I like being outdoors. Period. Not sitting at a range or somewhere target practicing burning ammo. Hunting, scouting, fishing, camping, hiking. That's how I spend my spare time.

I'm not fixated on my weapons at the expense of the big picture of why I have them - as a tool for shooting an animal. YMMV - there's too many lectures around here from folks who love shooting 24/7. IMO. Not everybody does - and that's OK.

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: StephensCnty308] #6870217 08/27/17 02:16 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Well since I pretty much shoot daily it's just a matter of switching out rifles. Shooting jackrabbits with a 257 or 300 Weatherby has some rather dramatic results. I probably haven't shot off a bench in over 25 years. As far as cleaning them it depends on whether I feel like it. Didn't clean the Weatherbys after last year and may not this year other than a wipe down. Year before last I only put one shot through the 257 Roy and only one last year. With that said were I to mishandle a rifle I would probably go back and check it's zero, other than that I have no reason to. Good scope and mounts, mounted properly and there's not much can go wrong unless it's mishandled.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide