Print Thread
Recurve Draw Weight for a Beginner? #6740096 04/19/17 09:32 PM
H
HankePanky Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
I want to get into archery and would like to start out with a recurve bow.

I'm wondering what would be a good draw weight to start with. I would like to be able to hunt with it, but also not have it negatively affect the development of proper technique. For reference, I'm 32, 6'00" & 235 lbs. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Recurve Draw Weight for a Beginner? [Re: HankePanky] #6740374 04/20/17 01:52 AM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I would start at 45-50lb but its a personal thing really.
I would also go 62 inches long.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Recurve Draw Weight for a Beginner? [Re: HankePanky] #6740393 04/20/17 02:05 AM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
At your height I would nor be looking at a bow under 58 inches and 60 or 62 might be more comfortable to shoot, finger pinch can be a pain literally. As to poundage starting out it all depends on you. I have hunted successfully for deer with a 45lb and find it very comfortable to shoot for extended periods, 50 is comfortable but for shorter durations to me.

Go somewhere they will let you try some and see what feels good to you.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Recurve Draw Weight for a Beginner? [Re: HankePanky] #6742078 04/21/17 06:18 PM
B
bowbuilder1971 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Yeah 45 to 50# at your draw length would be good for target and hunting with. I see that you live in Houston too. Buffalo Field Archery Club has an open house to the public every Saturday morning from 8am-12pm and they have recurves and arrows for people to use. If you are a lefty then I could let you try one of my recurves at the club. I have a 55# and 60# recurve and at my short draw length it ends up being 45-50 draw weight. My wife also shoots a horsebow that has a 37# draw weight but will be a higher draw weight for someone with a longer draw length so it will probably be around 45#'s for you. I also have a scale so you could see exactly how much you are pulling back when anchoring the bow string. I won't be there until after 12pm tomorrow because they are having a town hall club meeting and setting up for a 3D shoot that they are having Sunday but I will be there next weekend during the open house time. So if you want to meet up at the club and try out my bows to see what draw weight you are comfortable with then PM me on here. If you are right handed, you could still pull it back and see what you are comfortable with for a draw weight. A lot of people make the mistake of thinking that a higher draw weight is better when it's actually not. You want to shoot something that you can deal with holding back comfortably and be consistent with. I can pull back a higher draw weight bow but my shots will be sloppy after 10 minutes lol. So I choose to shoot between 45-50 pounds and can shoot a complete 3D round without ripping my shoulder out. With a well tuned recurve and a sharp broadhead, you could easily kill a deer or hog. It's all shot placement and knowing what's your maximum distance that you can shoot a 6" pie plate. With my favorite bow that I built I am consistent out to 35 yards but with these two take-down recurves that I bought after my buddy raved about them, I am good out to 15 yards lol. I am still in the tuning stage, learning how it shoots and finding which arrows work best with these new set ups. Plus I am shooting carbon arrows out of them instead of tapered wood arrows which I usually shoot for arrows. I picked up these two take-down recurve bows on clearance for $158.99 each from Lancaster Archery. They are Samick Red Stag recurves and seem really nice for a low costing recurve. You can also buy the limbs separately in different draw weights. I plan on using the higher pound recurve for alligator gar and alligator bowfishing. Give the club a call and see what bow weights they have for the public to shoot during their Saturday open house and PM me if you want to try pulling back or shooting my bows at the club next weekend. Hope this helps you out!

Re: Recurve Draw Weight for a Beginner? [Re: HankePanky] #6743865 04/23/17 07:36 PM
J
jayb Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
#1 rule is not to overbow yourself. You will learn bad habits and not enjoy flinging arras. I would get #35 or #40 to learn and then #50 or whatever for hunting when ready. Some bows you can change out the limbs which is nice. Or buy a cheap practice bow. If unable I would just do a little shooting each day like 10X or so till you can work up without loosing your form.

Your Friend in Frisco
The Biedermann Group-Real Estate
www.TheBiedermannGroup.com
Re: Recurve Draw Weight for a Beginner? [Re: HankePanky] #6744556 04/24/17 05:04 PM
H
HankePanky Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
Thanks for all of the helpful input!

A special thanks to bowbuilder1971, for your generous offer! I will definitely have to make a trip out to Buffalo Field, before I buy a bow.

I think that regardless of the weight I start with, I'm probably going to end up getting a take-down bow that I can also replace the limbs on. That way I can increase draw weight later, without having to purchase an entire new bow.

Re: Recurve Draw Weight for a Beginner? [Re: HankePanky] #6763122 05/13/17 04:39 PM
J
Jason Wilson Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
Hello, How old are you?
source: https://hunthacks.com/recurve-bow-draw-weight/

With the multiplicity of the options for the best compound bows, many may end up deciding in haste. Nonetheless, at all times, you have to decide beyond price.
Re: Recurve Draw Weight for a Beginner? [Re: HankePanky] #6767599 05/18/17 02:01 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
40#

Last edited by Tactical Cowboy; 05/18/17 02:01 PM.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Recurve Draw Weight for a Beginner? [Re: HankePanky] #6860292 08/18/17 05:37 AM
B
Bownhead Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Yep listen to all of these guys, they are spot on. Start low at 40lbs (unless you have been shooting a compound then go to 50lbs. ) build good habits, especially a good release and then move up.

Re: Recurve Draw Weight for a Beginner? [Re: jayb] #6860358 08/18/17 12:02 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: jayb
#1 rule is not to overbow yourself. You will learn bad habits and not enjoy flinging arras. I would get #35 or #40 to learn and then #50 or whatever for hunting when ready. Some bows you can change out the limbs which is nice. Or buy a cheap practice bow. If unable I would just do a little shooting each day like 10X or so till you can work up without loosing your form.

You want to get close with a recurve, moreso than with a compound bow which means 20 yards is a long shot and most shots of 10 to 15 yards are going to be the norm.
If you are only hunting whitetail then 40 to 45 is all you need with a two blade broadhead that will give you plenty of penetration on a deer sized animal.
Over bowing yourself starting out is where most new bowhunters hurt themselves only to find out the hard way or just quit.
There are a lot of good deals in most any classifieds for heavier recurve weight bows, and it's for that reason.
A good inexpensive takedown recurve with replaceable limbs would be an ideal way to go for the beginner. Samick Sage is one that comes to mind.

Last edited by Jimbo; 08/18/17 03:37 PM.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Recurve Draw Weight for a Beginner? [Re: HankePanky] #6861295 08/19/17 04:21 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Get on ArcheryTalk or the Leatherwall and buy a good used bow in the 45# range.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Recurve Draw Weight for a Beginner? [Re: kmon11] #6862760 08/20/17 07:54 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: kmon1
At your height I would nor be looking at a bow under 58 inches and 60 or 62 might be more comfortable to shoot, finger pinch can be a pain literally. As to poundage starting out it all depends on you. I have hunted successfully for deer with a 45lb and find it very comfortable to shoot for extended periods, 50 is comfortable but for shorter durations to me.

Go somewhere they will let you try some and see what feels good to you.

Agree with both length and pull but I do have one suggestion. Start cheap and maybe even a lesser poundage just to get the feel and form, 35# is not too low for training yourself proper shooting form. I practice with 45# and hunt with it but also have a couple in the 50 to 55 pound range that are strictly hunting. Once you get the feel for it it's not that difficult to go up in weight. My draw and release are all part of the same motion unlike my compounds where it's draw, sight and release. Shoot a little and you'll see what I mean. Trying to hold a recurve at full draw even for a little bit is not easy, that's why I release at the end of the draw.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide