Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw] #6857817 08/16/17 12:02 AM
L
LKW Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
I shop the store by my house just for convince but it its more then 10% higher then big box stores I will drive up to academy

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw] #6857840 08/16/17 12:19 AM
C
Crews Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I have not one single time ever walked into a gun store and received any sort of good advice. Not that I ever ask for it, seems like there is always some opinionated idgit there behind the counter spewing nonsense.

Not spending money in a LGS is nothing new for this guy. Old news.

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw] #6857935 08/16/17 01:45 AM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
There's always good and bad to both sides! Just my experience...LGS - high prices and indifference to arrogance but some are nice guys who do try to help and do the best they can for you. Chain stores - crowded and not much help when needed but they carry a lot larger selection and have lower prices.

I do believe a lot of LGSs shoot themselves in the foot with the attitude.

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Deerhunter61] #6857989 08/16/17 02:20 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
There's always good and bad to both sides! Just my experience...LGS - high prices and indifference to arrogance but some are nice guys who do try to help and do the best they can for you. Chain stores - crowded and not much help when needed but they carry a lot larger selection and have lower prices.

I do believe a lot of LGSs shoot themselves in the foot with the attitude.

Yep. It's been alluded to several times on this thread. The large majority, not all though, of gun stores that I've walked to in my life are staffed by folks that figure they're employed by (or own) the most macho business on earth so there's no need for common customer service or courtesy. And a lot of them have unemployed lounge lizards on your side of the counter that are just itching to tell you "what you oughta do".

There's a decent shop, attitude-wise, by my house, but still, I took a rifle in to have a Timney trigger dropped in. When I picked it up, you couldn't operate the safety. Seriously? They made it right, but it doesn't instill any confidence.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw] #6857991 08/16/17 02:21 AM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
My LGS is the best I've ever been around. Prices are very fair and the workers are very nice and helpful. Not necessarily super knowledgable, but not pushy either. Just let you look at what you want and will answer a question if you ask and if they can, but won't BS you either. It's Ammo Depot in Caddo Mills if you're interested.

I still buy about half my stuff online because even with their prices being good for a brick & mortar store, they can't compete with online retailers for everything and I can't afford to just toss money away. But I try to buy stuff there if I can, especially accessories like powder, primers, cleaning supplies, ammo, etc. I know that stuff is overpriced but I also assume they have a decent margin on it and they like to keep a few bucks coming through the door.

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw] #6857998 08/16/17 02:26 AM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
This market being so volatile will have to adjust to each political climate. The local gun store like most small businesses need to have an extra niche to survive and prosper in the present oversaturated market.

Businesses will come and go in this market. That is the nature of it. The bigger companies with lots of capital will in the end take most of the market from the LGS. They just cant compete with the internet and walmart.

Get them now while they are cheap because who knows what the future holds.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw] #6858052 08/16/17 03:02 AM
S
SR025 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I can't believe so many people buy guns locally. They are almost always significantly cheaper online even with shipping and transfer fee.

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw] #6858160 08/16/17 11:08 AM
topwater13 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Little Man by Alan Jackson.

I try to support local if at all possible.....20% is about my cutoff though.

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: SR025] #6858213 08/16/17 12:10 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: SR025
I can't believe so many people buy guns locally. They are almost always significantly cheaper online even with shipping and transfer fee.
How do you know what you want to buy online if there are no local stores to try them out? If everyone has your perspective, then that luxury will be gone at some point.

Like I said, I buy mine about half and half. If the price is close, I buy local. If it's not, I buy online.

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw] #6858219 08/16/17 12:15 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
I'm going to support Cabela's with a $1700 purchase today

The only local gun store I can think of near me is Rifle Gear in Plano but they are hard core quality stuff. I already touched on the Frisco Gun Club but they are not focused on the retail sales side. They would be too expensive if they were.

I just hate to be that "guy" who goes in these LGS and just "looks" fondles every gun, throws out a bunch of BS and NEVER buys anything.

As far as buying a handgun, the gun shows are still the best if you have CASH in hand. You can see, touch, all of them.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: huntwest] #6858335 08/16/17 02:21 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: huntwest
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted By: spg
The Academy's and other big name stores get a way better deal than us small business mom&pop shops. Obviously I can't risk buying hundreds of thousands of guns or other merchandise. Therefore the big stores get them much cheaper than me and at the end of the day I have to make a profit which is less than what the big stores are profiting . If you don't mind having some college kid that knows nothing about what your buying help you make a choice on what to buy, go to Academy or some other big store. If you want to buy a gun and have it set up properly, learn the functionality of it, or get it fixed and cleaned properly go to your local mom and pop shop.

That's kind of rich. I went to the largest LGS here a while back to look at weapons, and they pretty much had college kids and people I wouldn't trust with a rubber-band gun running the gun counters. I got swept by the guy that was helping me twice, and he swept several other patrons as well. On top of that the owner smokes, and you walk into a cloud of cigarette smoke any time you go there. I looked at a nice USED RRA, and they offered to discount it from the price marked to only $200 more than I could buy a new one from at many other places.

I won't begrudge any man a profit and I fully understand the service aspect, the bulk argument, and the hard-to-find side. I once paid $66 for a $30 part because I needed it-I was only mad at myself for getting into a bind.

I wish there was an LGS that I felt good about supporting here, but they're all operated by Bubbas. I know that's not the case at all places, but I've been to a lot of LGS and been helped by Bubbas, high-school and college kids, and people that don't know the difference between .22 LR and .22 WMRF.

Sharpshooters is a pretty good store. And the owner doesn't smoke or anyone else.
I can't think of another big store in Lubbock.

The guy I'm thinking of may no longer be (maybe never was) the owner, but he was a fixture for many years. Short wiry older guy, was always smoking (and mainly just leaving it burning in the ashtray, so there was smoke everywhere). I haven't seen him the last two times I went.

Last time there I did talk to the current owner about the new (much bigger) building. He's excited about the move, as am I as it's much closer to my house. I like the place but they need better training for the staff.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: patriot07] #6858365 08/16/17 02:44 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: patriot07
How do you know what you want to buy online if there are no local stores to try them out? If everyone has your perspective, then that luxury will be gone at some point.

Like I said, I buy mine about half and half. If the price is close, I buy local. If it's not, I buy online.
by doing research, you should know what you want and how you want it, if you don't ask ?'s on here and get 100 different answers muyloco

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: colt45-90] #6858402 08/16/17 03:14 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: colt45

by doing research, you should know what you want and how you want it, if you don't ask ?'s on here and get 100 different answers muyloco

Happy you brought this up. I am 70yo, was born with two discs fused together, got my nose broke when I was 17yo and had rib cage issues when I was 20yo. I'm 6' tall and weigh 181 #s. I want to buy a new semiauto, will use it for clays, dove, quail, pheasant, duck and cranes. Also for squirrel, rabbit, and will use either 00 buck or slugs for deer and hogs. When not hunting it will rest next to my bed for home defense. What semi-auto does the forum recommend for my size and age, and what choke should I use? back

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw] #6858410 08/16/17 03:21 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Forgot to mention, I was told the macho members would only be impressed by a 10 ga magnum while the pheasant hunters would like to use a 28 ga.

Sorry fellows, I'm having pre-eclipse blues. Carry on.

back

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: colt45-90] #6858426 08/16/17 03:36 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P

So you know if a gun fits you well by looking at it online? That's a special kind of skill!

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw] #6858436 08/16/17 03:42 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I try to buy local and I don't mind paying a little more for good service, but I draw the line at attitude and bad manners.
My wife is an experienced shooter and knows her guns. She was interested in a new CC revolver so we stopped at a local gun shop in Clute. The guy working the counter was very condescending and rude to my wife when she insisted on looking at revolvers instead of autoloaders. To boot, he kept staring at her boobs right in front of me. I wanted to throttle the guy.
I asked to talk with the manager and he said he wasn't there. Asked for a phone number to speak with him and he said he doesn't like to give that out. I will never darken the door of that place ever again.
We bought her a new revolver from Sportsman's guide and saved a ton of money. Had a FFL friend do the transfer for a beer.

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Palehorse] #6858459 08/16/17 04:09 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Palehorse
I try to buy local and I don't mind paying a little more for good service, but I draw the line at attitude and bad manners.
My wife is an experienced shooter and knows her guns. She was interested in a new CC revolver so we stopped at a local gun shop in Clute. The guy working the counter was very condescending and rude to my wife when she insisted on looking at revolvers instead of autoloaders. To boot, he kept staring at her boobs right in front of me. I wanted to throttle the guy.
I asked to talk with the manager and he said he wasn't there. Asked for a phone number to speak with him and he said he doesn't like to give that out. I will never darken the door of that place ever again.
We bought her a new revolver from Sportsman's guide and saved a ton of money. Had a FFL friend do the transfer for a beer.

If I don't put this in someone else will, so to keep the young fellows out of trouble

worthless

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: blackcoal] #6858471 08/16/17 04:20 PM
F
fishfree Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Blackcoal, I really like a gas operated 20ga. We are about the same age and while I still shoot a 12 ga pump I know someday I will put it down just because of recoil. My Browning Silver Hunter in 20ga on the other hand I can shoot all day long. Mossberg is probably a good brand at a lower price. Fit is the main issue to consider.

Back on topic:
I shop locally (not big box however) and also buy online (mostly Buds). I will not pay a large price differential just because the shop is local. That said it usually turns out that they are competitive. I do not believe in buying local just because it is local; competition is good.

When I go shopping I know what I want and have done a lot of reading in advance. I simply disregard bad/unasked for advice but weigh carefully any comment that seems worth consideration. If I decide I need to feel the trigger pull or hold the gun to make my final decision I buy it at the shop and not online. Being able to dry fire before buying is worth something and I can't do that with an online purchase. I will not use the local shop as a showroom. my 2-cents.

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: patriot07] #6858477 08/16/17 04:27 PM
F
fishfree Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F

So you know if a gun fits you well by looking at it online? That's a special kind of skill!

At least with shotguns maybe yes. The stock measurements can be found and compared with guns you already own; this has worked for me.

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw] #6858498 08/16/17 04:47 PM
F
fishfree Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
I just want to add this: gun sales in 2016 were 24,700,000 based on NICS filings- up 1,500,000 from 2015.

In the last decade there was a surge in first time buyers. Some (many?) put their new gun away and that was the end of it. But some became gun enthusiasts and keep on buying guns & ammo. They also introduced shooting sports to friends & colleagues. So take a neighbor to the range or clay fields!!

Just like real estate in a hot market draws in a crop of brand new realtors a hot gun market stimulates the opening of a lot of new gun shops. When the real estate market cools all those newbie realtors start getting thinned out and the same happens to gun shops.

There is volatility in SWHC & RGR stock prices but they have experienced volatility in the past as well. I see small drops (bargains!) in some gun prices- thinner margins maybe. Now is the time to make lemonade. Bargain prices for us may be the other side of the coin.

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Palehorse] #6858522 08/16/17 05:15 PM
janie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My wife is an experienced shooter and knows her guns. She was interested in a new CC revolver so we stopped at a local gun shop in Clute. The guy working the counter was very condescending and rude to my wife when she insisted on looking at revolvers instead of autoloaders.

This sadly happens. I have been completely blown off. They'll look at Bill and say "what does she like" "any particular caliber" etc. That's when I look at Bill and say "let's go"

Palehorse, you should've throat punched the guy working that gun counter.

He is your friend defender your dog. Be worthy of such devotion

[Linked Image]
Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: janie] #6858930 08/16/17 11:20 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted By: janie
My wife is an experienced shooter and knows her guns. She was interested in a new CC revolver so we stopped at a local gun shop in Clute. The guy working the counter was very condescending and rude to my wife when she insisted on looking at revolvers instead of autoloaders.

This sadly happens. I have been completely blown off. They'll look at Bill and say "what does she like" "any particular caliber" etc. That's when I look at Bill and say "let's go"

Palehorse, you should've throat punched the guy working that gun counter.

I remember us talking about that scenerio before Janie

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #6858998 08/17/17 12:01 AM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: huntwest
Originally Posted By: spg
The Academy's and other big name stores get a way better deal than us small business mom&pop shops. Obviously I can't risk buying hundreds of thousands of guns or other merchandise. Therefore the big stores get them much cheaper than me and at the end of the day I have to make a profit which is less than what the big stores are profiting . If you don't mind having some college kid that knows nothing about what your buying help you make a choice on what to buy, go to Academy or some other big store. If you want to buy a gun and have it set up properly, learn the functionality of it, or get it fixed and cleaned properly go to your local mom and pop shop.

That's kind of rich. I went to the largest LGS here a while back to look at weapons, and they pretty much had college kids and people I wouldn't trust with a rubber-band gun running the gun counters. I got swept by the guy that was helping me twice, and he swept several other patrons as well. On top of that the owner smokes, and you walk into a cloud of cigarette smoke any time you go there. I looked at a nice USED RRA, and they offered to discount it from the price marked to only $200 more than I could buy a new one from at many other places.

I won't begrudge any man a profit and I fully understand the service aspect, the bulk argument, and the hard-to-find side. I once paid $66 for a $30 part because I needed it-I was only mad at myself for getting into a bind.

I wish there was an LGS that I felt good about supporting here, but they're all operated by Bubbas. I know that's not the case at all places, but I've been to a lot of LGS and been helped by Bubbas, high-school and college kids, and people that don't know the difference between .22 LR and .22 WMRF.

Sharpshooters is a pretty good store. And the owner doesn't smoke or anyone else.
I can't think of another big store in Lubbock.

The guy I'm thinking of may no longer be (maybe never was) the owner, but he was a fixture for many years. Short wiry older guy, was always smoking (and mainly just leaving it burning in the ashtray, so there was smoke everywhere). I haven't seen him the last two times I went.

Last time there I did talk to the current owner about the new (much bigger) building. He's excited about the move, as am I as it's much closer to my house. I like the place but they need better training for the staff.

I hadnt been to impressed with sharps the times I went. Not very easy to get help and high prices. The last two times though they were friendly and as soon as I walked in asked if they could help.

I guess it worked because I bought a gun in there today.

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw] #6859035 08/17/17 12:33 AM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"
I have also noticed that almost nothing is selling in the classifieds as well.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw] #6859060 08/17/17 12:47 AM
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
True, I finally sold my Benelli SBE II yesterday. Good stuff will sell pretty fast. You just need to be realistic what you sell it for and know how low you will go if necessary.

Crap will not sell or sell for pocket change.

SPACE FOR RENT

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide