6033592 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#6856953 - 08/15/17 07:51 AM Gun stores to start closing
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Frisco, Texas
This just my opinion which is worth what its worth.

I see gun sales dropping like crazy. Everyone who wants one, pretty much has what the need. The political climate has calmed down, at least the second amendment argument.

I have been in several "Mom and Pop stores lately, they are pretty much empty and what they do have is way over priced. The BIG guys like Buds, Whittaker's, Europtics, etc. are talking this over as there is usually free shipping and no tax.

Look for some GREAT deals ahead

#6857007 - 08/15/17 08:43 AM Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw]
Tff caribou Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Watauga, TX
A mom and pop store with great prices would be super busy still today. The problem is, the ones I go into are often 10-20% higher than academy or even cabelas. I'll spend 1-2% more on some items to support local business, but not 20%

#6857018 - 08/15/17 08:51 AM Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw]
aggiehunter03 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Mineral Wells, Texas
Me too. I will support local but not at a 20% higher cost. Buzz, do you know where I can find a smoking deal on a SBE2?

#6857039 - 08/15/17 09:02 AM Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw]
spg Online   content
Pro Tracker

The Academy's and other big name stores get a way better deal than us small business mom&pop shops. Obviously I can't risk buying hundreds of thousands of guns or other merchandise. Therefore the big stores get them much cheaper than me and at the end of the day I have to make a profit which is less than what the big stores are profiting . If you don't mind having some college kid that knows nothing about what your buying help you make a choice on what to buy, go to Academy or some other big store. If you want to buy a gun and have it set up properly, learn the functionality of it, or get it fixed and cleaned properly go to your local mom and pop shop.

#6857047 - 08/15/17 09:04 AM Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: spg]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
And lots of people use that shop for that very thing, everyrhing except for the purchase of the actual firearm. Go to the shop, get some advice, leave, go to a big store to buy it (or order it online) come back for help with it.

800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#6857052 - 08/15/17 09:07 AM Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw]
jhenderson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lake dallas
Just think about all the mom and pop joints that have shown up in the last 4-5 years. They can't rely on that to stay afloat in these times. If they are good and competitive or give some sort of a reason to do business there that's one thing but most don't. They are super over priced. My brother went to a gun show Sunday and one of "these" guys was selling stripper Anderson lowers for $150 each and spikes Jack lower for $400. His excuse was they are hard to get. I bet I could go buy 50 lowers today if I wanted to without much issue.

#6857053 - 08/15/17 09:09 AM Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw]
jhenderson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lake dallas
Even academy has gone up it seems. Still cheapest box store but hard to spend an extra 50-100 sometimes if I can wait a week or two to ship in.

#6857068 - 08/15/17 09:18 AM Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: spg]
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Lewisville, TX
Originally Posted By: spg
The Academy's and other big name stores get a way better deal than us small business mom&pop shops. Obviously I can't risk buying hundreds of thousands of guns or other merchandise. Therefore the big stores get them much cheaper than me and at the end of the day I have to make a profit which is less than what the big stores are profiting . If you don't mind having some college kid that knows nothing about what your buying help you make a choice on what to buy, go to Academy or some other big store. If you want to buy a gun and have it set up properly, learn the functionality of it, or get it fixed and cleaned properly go to your local mom and pop shop.

^^^ This. And often times the smaller stores can provide a better "service" than Academy's and such. You can often times find more specialized products at the smaller stores.

I'm an FFL, and I have seen some firearms selling for less than my FFL dealer pricing. It's part of the volume business. But there are many people who need the small service touch and assistance.

Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#6857079 - 08/15/17 09:23 AM Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: aggiehunter03]
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Originally Posted By: aggiehunter03
Me too. I will support local but not at a 20% higher cost. Buzz, do you know where I can find a smoking deal on a SBE2?

bang

#6857108 - 08/15/17 09:46 AM Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw]
Dien Offline
Tracker

Loc: Grand Prairie
Too often mom and pop stores will have a punk kid or a know nothing salesman also. Lots won't do anything to really help you. Go to manufacturer for warranty.

I do have my favorite ones and will overpay once in a while. But shape up or close down.

Also, in any industry people say oh the big names get better deals. Not so in my last one. If it's that big of a problem then band together. And I've gotten excellent pricing on guns from small FFLs. Better then online.

#6857132 - 08/15/17 10:01 AM Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: spg]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX

That's kind of rich. I went to the largest LGS here a while back to look at weapons, and they pretty much had college kids and people I wouldn't trust with a rubber-band gun running the gun counters. I got swept by the guy that was helping me twice, and he swept several other patrons as well. On top of that the owner smokes, and you walk into a cloud of cigarette smoke any time you go there. I looked at a nice USED RRA, and they offered to discount it from the price marked to only $200 more than I could buy a new one from at many other places.

I won't begrudge any man a profit and I fully understand the service aspect, the bulk argument, and the hard-to-find side. I once paid $66 for a $30 part because I needed it-I was only mad at myself for getting into a bind.

I wish there was an LGS that I felt good about supporting here, but they're all operated by Bubbas. I know that's not the case at all places, but I've been to a lot of LGS and been helped by Bubbas, high-school and college kids, and people that don't know the difference between .22 LR and .22 WMRF.

#6857149 - 08/15/17 10:13 AM Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: spg]
Tff caribou Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Watauga, TX

On average, I've gotten better service and knowledge from people at academy than a LGS. But I do my research before I go shopping.

#6857195 - 08/15/17 11:05 AM Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw]
Judd Online   content

Loc: Sachse, TX
I wish I had time to sit around and look at all the negative going on in this world. Buzz....you need to go back to work.

#6857223 - 08/15/17 11:29 AM Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Tff caribou]
aggiehunter03 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Mineral Wells, Texas
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

On average, I've gotten better service and knowledge from people at academy than a LGS. But I do my research before I go shopping.

I think you are in the minority on that. I was once recommended a 17 HMR for deer hunting. I don't even ask them for anything other than please hand me that one right there.

#6857238 - 08/15/17 11:40 AM Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw]
garyrapp55 Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Ft. Worth
It's been my experience that the LGS guy has far more knowledge that the guy at Big Box Store. My problem with LGS guys is often trying to take advantage of me if I'm unsure of something. Seems he doesn't want me to leave without making a purchase of some kind. The guy at Big Box doesn't care if I spend money or not that day or the future. I hate to be pressured. Of course, I'm sure not all places are that way.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide