Print Thread
To far into summer to put in a plot? #6834526 07/26/17 12:45 PM
A
Adam bellar Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
So i bought my first lease out in electra.
I got a feeder set up and cams out. Lots of deer track but none on camera yet. I'm looking to get a feed plot in. Is it to far into summer? Should i wait till fall? And is the throw and gro stuff any good?
This place has never been hunted and i am starting from zero. I don't wanna get skunked this season so I'm feeling the pressure to get a plot in amd growing asap.

Re: To far into summer to put in a plot? [Re: Adam bellar] #6834638 07/26/17 02:13 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Find a good place for your plot now, mow it, and then spray it with Round Up. In a few weeks break up the soil with a plow, or a drag harrow. Tractor helps, but if relatively small, this can be done with the assistance of ATV. In late September or early October broadcast oats, or maybe winter peas, then run over again with drag. Then pray for a few good rains. By the rut you'll have a nice green field coming in with good forage for deer. It will also help keep them over the winter months.

Just my experience, but without soil tests, good weather, and fertilizer, growing plots from the Spring is pretty challenging. Much easier and cheaper to go with an easy Fall plot or two. I've tried several in the Spring with cowpeas, radishes, and okra and never gotten good results. My Fall plots though have been more successful. I've got three 1 acre plots plowed now, just waiting for cooler weather - this year I'm going to try lynx peas.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: To far into summer to put in a plot? [Re: Adam bellar] #6834734 07/26/17 03:37 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Dalroo, im guessing he doesn't have any equipment based on him asking about throw&grow seed.

But like Dalroo said, mow the area and spray with round up. Use a stiff steel rake to score/break up the soil. Then broadcast oats and pray for rain. If you feel like doing the extra work, see about buying a few pounds of winter wheat seed from someone. Use a piece of rebar to poke random holes 2-3" into the soil, drop a few seeds in the hole and cover with dirt. Dont plant til dove season or right before it starts.

Re: To far into summer to put in a plot? [Re: Adam bellar] #6835019 07/26/17 07:59 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Yessir, I got that from post as well, but will add that if wanting to do something a bit larger, there are plenty of places to rent tractors.

Guys down the road from me even found a place where they could access with pickup - chained a railroad tie to bumper and drug down the vegetation, then drug some old chain link fence around to break up soil. They then used a $30 shoulder strapped broadcaster to do a couple of acres. It turned into a pretty good plot.

Like Rickym says, it doesn't have to be overly complicated, but you do have to make a good seed bed regardless of application.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: To far into summer to put in a plot? [Re: Adam bellar] #6852106 08/10/17 09:50 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Adam bellar
So i bought my first lease out in electra.
I got a feeder set up and cams out. Lots of deer track but none on camera yet. I'm looking to get a feed plot in. Is it to far into summer? Should i wait till fall? And is the throw and gro stuff any good?
This place has never been hunted and i am starting from zero. I don't wanna get skunked this season so I'm feeling the pressure to get a plot in amd growing asap.

hand throw some piles of corn in front of cameras (assuming they're not mounted right on the feeders); I've noticed sometimes deer are very leery of new feeders and won't come close for long time; but they've hit piles of corn near a tree (& my mounted cam) literally next night when I've put it . .
IF you got rain coming, pick one spot for plot now (get after it); can always do another spot if this one doesnt work out ....

Re: To far into summer to put in a plot? [Re: Adam bellar] #6853628 08/12/17 05:00 AM
B
BayouGuy Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
B
I would not put a plot in now. Mid summer plots usually end up with "the heartbreak of failure".

If you want to give the no-till approach a try (which I recommend) hit the area you plan for the plot now with a strong dose of Glyphosate - something like 2 Oz. of Gly to the gallon of water.
If you're lucky and get some rain before mid-September you will have a growth spurt of native grass and broadleaves in the dead vegetation. Hit the new growth with Gly again in early September. In mid-September broadcast a 50/50 mix of cheap feed store wheat and oats into the standing dead vegetation along with a few pounds of any variety of white/ladino clover. That will likely give you a satisfactory plot.

You can improve germination of the seed by doing something to increase seed/soil contact after broadcasting. Several methods work. If you have access to a tractor, run either a bush hog or cultipacker over the plot after broadcasting the seed. Running a four-wheeler back and forth will do the job also, as will using an ATV to pull something like a length of chain link fence, a log, or a pallet across the plot to flatten the dead vegetation over the seed.

One other thing. It would be wise to do a soil test now to see what the pH of the plot area is. It will likely need some lime. Even if you can't manage the total lime recommendation now, adding what you can as soon as you can will be a benefit. Just surface broadcast pelleted lime into the dead vegetation.

If you can't laugh at yourself, give me a call. I'll gladly laugh at you.

"I keep trying to see Nancy Pelosi's and Chuck Schumer's point of view,
but I can't seem to get my head that far up my [censored]." Senator John Kennedy, Louisiana
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide