5991852 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6853207 - 08/11/17 04:34 PM Alligator Hunt
btpatriot Offline
Tracker

Loc: Beeville, Tx
I was drawn to hunt alligator this year at J.D. Murphree WMA. This is my first time getting drawn so I am hoping some of you who have experience could share some of your knowledge with me.

Thanks

Adam

#6853272 - 08/11/17 05:52 PM Re: Alligator Hunt [Re: btpatriot]
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Fairfield, TX
cheers

Good luck....hope you get a monster lizard....

"Death is permanent...everything else is temporary!"

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"

#6853301 - 08/11/17 06:11 PM Re: Alligator Hunt [Re: btpatriot]
Palehorse Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Surfside Beach, TX
Got drawn there about 3 years ago. Here's how it goes. You check in about mid morning the first day. You will attend an orientation and they will loan you one big cane pole and one rebar anchor. You will get an assigned area and they will tell you how to get there.
Find an area in your area that has either visible gators or gator sign. You take your cane pole and stick it in the mud at an angle over the water and drive your anchor into the mud close to the pole. Tie the end of your line to the anchor and the other end you will suspend the attached hook loosely with a rubber band or clothespin a couple of feet over the water. Bait with a ripe, half rotten chicken quarter. Leave and go directly to a bar and drink several cold beers.
The next morning, you see what you caught. One guy pulls the rope in while the other guy shoots it in the head. The TPWD guys want you to use a shotgun. I used an old H&R Topper single shot 20 gauge loaded with low brass dove shot. At a distance of just a few inches, it's plenty. A .410 would work just as well. Tape the gator's mouth with electrical tape, haul him in the boat, and don't forget to tag him with the tag they provide for you. That's about it.
“He grouped his last five shots right in the center of the bull’s-eye. Then I showed him my technique of scattering shots randomly around the target because, as I explained, you never know which way the deer might jump just as you pull the trigger.”

#6853800 - 08/12/17 10:36 AM Re: Alligator Hunt [Re: btpatriot]
rex47 Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: euless, tx
In the mean time watch lots of SWAMP PEOPLE chutem

#6853804 - 08/12/17 10:40 AM Re: Alligator Hunt [Re: btpatriot]
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Graham to Arlington
I'm considering putting in for one these next year once I get my boat back together. Please report back on this goes.

#6854058 - 08/12/17 04:30 PM Re: Alligator Hunt [Re: Palehorse]
sbushee Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: Palehorse
Got drawn there about 3 years ago. Here's how it goes. You check in about mid morning the first day. You will attend an orientation and they will loan you one big cane pole and one rebar anchor. You will get an assigned area and they will tell you how to get there.
Find an area in your area that has either visible gators or gator sign. You take your cane pole and stick it in the mud at an angle over the water and drive your anchor into the mud close to the pole. Tie the end of your line to the anchor and the other end you will suspend the attached hook loosely with a rubber band or clothespin a couple of feet over the water. Bait with a ripe, half rotten chicken quarter. Leave and go directly to a bar and drink several cold beers.
The next morning, you see what you caught. One guy pulls the rope in while the other guy shoots it in the head. The TPWD guys want you to use a shotgun. I used an old H&R Topper single shot 20 gauge loaded with low brass dove shot. At a distance of just a few inches, it's plenty. A .410 would work just as well. Tape the gator's mouth with electrical tape, haul him in the boat, and don't forget to tag him with the tag they provide for you. That's about it.
lol, that's a good analogy.

#6858081 - 08/15/17 10:49 PM Re: Alligator Hunt [Re: btpatriot]
btpatriot Offline
Tracker

Thanks for the info. I plan to bowfish my gator but if that doesn't work out I will hang a line.

#6858433 - 08/16/17 10:40 AM Re: Alligator Hunt [Re: Palehorse]
BurrOak Offline
Tracker

Loc: CenTex
Originally Posted By: Palehorse

We went 2 years ago. This is exactly correct!

#6858468 - 08/16/17 11:16 AM Re: Alligator Hunt [Re: btpatriot]
ducknbass Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: btpatriot
Thanks for the info. I plan to bowfish my gator but if that doesn't work out I will hang a line.

I do not believe it is even in the realm of possibilities for these hunts.

Edited by ducknbass (08/16/17 11:17 AM)

#6859277 - 08/16/17 11:16 PM Re: Alligator Hunt [Re: btpatriot]
btpatriot Offline
Tracker

My brother in law bowfished his 8'11" gator 2 years ago so I have to at least try.

#6859293 - 08/17/17 12:01 AM Re: Alligator Hunt [Re: btpatriot]
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Graham to Arlington
My brother in law bowfished his 8'11" gator 2 years ago so I have to at least try.
was it on one of the TPWD draw hunts? I didn't think that was an option for them.

#6859312 - 08/17/17 05:13 AM Re: Alligator Hunt [Re: cmc]
ducknbass Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: cmc
was it on one of the TPWD draw hunts? I didn't think that was an option for them.

This

You have to pay someone for a tag hunt further east. These draw hunts are a one way street. You can plan all you want but you're just kidding yourself.

A gator with a bow is on my list.

#6859356 - 08/17/17 06:43 AM Re: Alligator Hunt [Re: SnakeWrangler]
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Dallas 2 Jacksboro
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
cheers

Good luck....hope you get a monster lizard....
up

Rodney Dangerfield

flag texas

#6859373 - 08/17/17 07:00 AM Re: Alligator Hunt [Re: btpatriot]
Capt.JVH Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Round Rock/ Lometa

It can be done, I shot this 9 footer at Mad island a few years ago on a draw hunt. It was tough to get within effective range but I managed on day three. I would run a line over night and pull it in the morning and go spot and stalk. It was a blast and yes its allowed. You can only use one method at a time. That's the only catch. Good luck and have fun!

#6859388 - 08/17/17 07:29 AM Re: Alligator Hunt [Re: Capt.JVH]
btpatriot Offline
Tracker

Originally Posted By: Capt.JVH

It can be done, I shot this 9 footer at Mad island a few years ago on a draw hunt. It was tough to get within effective range but I managed on day three. I would run a line over night and pull it in the morning and go spot and stalk. It was a blast and yes its allowed. You can only use one method at a time. That's the only catch. Good luck and have fun!

Yes sir that is exactly my plan. Bowfish most of the first day and set a line on my way out of my compartment for the day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide