Forum Stats
62633 Members
46 Forums
437951 Topics
6032254 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#6851745 - 08/10/17 11:16 AM Anybody use a mountain bike to get to the stand?
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Graham to Arlington
I'm about to buy a mountain bike to ride in and out to and from the stand. I always walk in and never drive in on days I hunt unless I'm going to get a critter out but I'm liking the idea of a mountain bike because it'll be much faster and I can carry a few more items if needed. Anybody else use one? Tell me what I need to know about it.

#6851750 - 08/10/17 11:21 AM Re: Anybody use a mountain bike to get to the stand? [Re: cmc]
FoxTrot Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: West
I don't but Im not opposed to it.

Get a gun rack/bow holder for the handle bars.

One of my buddies does it occasionally and it works out well for him.

#6851753 - 08/10/17 11:24 AM Re: Anybody use a mountain bike to get to the stand? [Re: cmc]
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: CEDAR CREEK LAKE
They suck in loose sand. I saw some advertised for hunting a while back that had fat tires on it, seems like that would work pretty good. Probably high dollar.

#6851768 - 08/10/17 11:40 AM Re: Anybody use a mountain bike to get to the stand? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN]
dogcatcher Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Abilene or on the road...
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
They suck in loose sand. I saw some advertised for hunting a while back that had fat tires on it, seems like that would work pretty good. Probably high dollar.

The fat tires are just a little better for sand and loose dirt, also don't forget a flat kit, or 2 or 3 or more. Bicycle tires will pick up the smallest stickers and then go flat. A small goat head or grass burr sticker will get you a real fast slow leak, usually as far from camp as possible.

The biggest problem is the deer are not used to seeing bikes, you really need to spend as much time as possible time at the lease before the season.

_______ Old style calls for today's outdoorsman________

#6851769 - 08/10/17 11:41 AM Re: Anybody use a mountain bike to get to the stand? [Re: cmc]
Bucks and Ducks Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Texas
Never have but not opposed to it either, only have a few stands I could ride to.

#6851784 - 08/10/17 11:51 AM Re: Anybody use a mountain bike to get to the stand? [Re: dogcatcher]
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

The fat tires are just a little better for sand and loose dirt, also don't forget a flat kit, or 2 or 3 or more. Bicycle tires will pick up the smallest stickers and then go flat. A small goat head or grass burr sticker will get you a real fast slow leak, usually as far from camp as possible.

The biggest problem is the deer are not used to seeing bikes, you really need to spend as much time as possible time at the lease before the season.

I'm thinking solid foam tires. I'm not near as worried about the deer being used to it as I am spooking off the hogs. They get hunted pretty hard and are wired, that's why I usually don't drive in but it's a 30 minute walk to my good spot. I think they are cheap enough I'm gonna give it a whirl if nothing else I can ride around the neighborhood with my AR strapped on it and see what kind of hood rat stuff I can do. grin

#6851814 - 08/10/17 12:18 PM Re: Anybody use a mountain bike to get to the stand? [Re: cmc]
Jimbo Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: The last LF ranch in S. Texas
I used my mountain bike a few years back to get to my stand and back and I had a rack on the back that worked well for hauling a bag of corn to feed.
About one bag is all I could haul and still be able to ride.
It was up in the hill country so I used it on an old jeep trail which was mostly hard packed and rock.
I hauled two deer out that season using the bike. I gutted the deer of course, and then tied the deers legs together with the bike laid on it's side I placed the deer on top of the bike and placed the bound legs around the seat and post.
Then lifted the bike up standing on the opposite side of the deer with the bike in between and walked the bike out.
It beat dragging.
One thing I found riding in early in the am while it was still dark was that the dew formed on the rims and when you applied the brakes they screeched loud enough to let all the animals in the woods know you were coming. Had to make sure I dried the rims and only used the rear brake.
Fast answer is yes, it works, so go ahead and do it. Stay on a trail and you won't have to worry about flats....Never had one!

#6851828 - 08/10/17 12:24 PM Re: Anybody use a mountain bike to get to the stand? [Re: Jimbo]
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
I used my mountain bike a few years back to get to my stand and back and I had a rack on the back that worked well for hauling a bag of corn to feed.
About one bag is all I could haul and still be able to ride.
It was up in the hill country so I used it on an old jeep trail which was mostly hard packed and rock.
I hauled two deer out that season using the bike. I gutted the deer of course, and then tied the deers legs together with the bike laid on it's side I placed the deer on top of the bike and placed the bound legs around the seat and post.
Then lifted the bike up standing on the opposite side of the deer with the bike in between and walked the bike out.
It beat dragging.
One thing I found riding in early in the am while it was still dark was that the dew formed on the rims and when you applied the brakes they screeched loud enough to let all the animals in the woods know you were coming. Had to make sure I dried the rims and only used the rear brake.
Fast answer is yes, it works, so go ahead and do it. Stay on a trail and you won't have to worry about flats....Never had one!
up

#6851871 - 08/10/17 12:51 PM Re: Anybody use a mountain bike to get to the stand? [Re: cmc]
colt.45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: wondering about the woods
scratch still enjoy walking to & from, enjoying my surroundings... People be supprised by what they miss... confused2 each their own... flag

i'm postaddic

#6851908 - 08/10/17 01:33 PM Re: Anybody use a mountain bike to get to the stand? [Re: cmc]
PMK Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Central TX (Gtown/Austin)
you might want to wear blaze orange too ... one year in CO I was hunting, started hearing something coming thru the woods at a high rate of speed, out pops 3 mountain bikers wearing tannish colored jackets about 20 yards away ... they froze when they saw me and gave me a puzzled look. then asked what the heck I was doing that far out in the woods wearing all that bright colored clothing and carrying a rifle. I said "are you aware this is opening morning of elk season and the woods are full of hunters looking for fast moving elk looking creatures making noise going down a trail?" ... I said ya'll might want to skidaddle back to your vehicle and put on some bright colored clothing to not look like a fast moving elk looking creature.

why not get an electric bicycle?

~PMK~

#6851925 - 08/10/17 01:46 PM Re: Anybody use a mountain bike to get to the stand? [Re: cmc]
dogcatcher Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Abilene or on the road...
Originally Posted By: cmc

I'm thinking solid foam tires. I'm not near as worried about the deer being used to it as I am spooking off the hogs. They get hunted pretty hard and are wired, that's why I usually don't drive in but it's a 30 minute walk to my good spot. I think they are cheap enough I'm gonna give it a whirl if nothing else I can ride around the neighborhood with my AR strapped on it and see what kind of hood rat stuff I can do. grin

Buy thorn resistant tubes, and the Kevlar tires. Spend the few extra dollars on that and you will spend less time fixing flats.

https://www.amazon.com/PACK-Money-Saver-...t+bicycle+tubes

https://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Terrain-B...tain+bike+tires

_______ Old style calls for today's outdoorsman________

#6851964 - 08/10/17 02:19 PM Re: Anybody use a mountain bike to get to the stand? [Re: cmc]
Stratgolfer Online   content
Tracker

I've thought about it also. I may try it, but I'll drive halfway in my truck as I am on the complete other side of the lease.

#6851991 - 08/10/17 02:49 PM Re: Anybody use a mountain bike to get to the stand? [Re: cmc]
Dalroo Offline
Tracker

Loc: The Heart of Texas
I've thought about this and think I will grab my son's bike this season and give a try - at least for afternoon hunts. Would be nice and quiet, and probably less impact on game than walking.

I think in the morning, even with light, it might be a little rough getting to my stands. If a successful hunt, easy enough to ride back to barn and grab the Mule.

#6851992 - 08/10/17 02:50 PM Re: Anybody use a mountain bike to get to the stand? [Re: cmc]
TooLow Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Deep Ellum, TX
Enjoy walking

#6852003 - 08/10/17 03:03 PM Re: Anybody use a mountain bike to get to the stand? [Re: cmc]
syncerus Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide