Print Thread
Best way to determine doe:buck ratio #6848943 08/08/17 01:06 AM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Game cameras are not giving me much help. Surveys of what is see when out there tell me the place is over run with doe. But I see many young bucks on cameras. I know there's a ton more deer than what I am seeing on camera and sighting. I have done night surveys as well and have seen as many as 20 distinct deer all doe. Have yet to see a buck at night. Aside from helicoptering over my small ranch, what other methods can I use?

Plan to put in some plots and watch those as I know this is probably a better indicator, but my gut tells me I need to thin some doe.

Re: Best way to determine doe:buck ratio [Re: Texas buckeye] #6849075 08/08/17 02:54 AM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/...a3-423e565e0d8a

also, or probably first, contact your county game biologist. He can tell you what the density and ratios are in general in your area.

Last edited by JJH; 08/08/17 02:57 AM.
Re: Best way to determine doe:buck ratio [Re: Texas buckeye] #6849078 08/08/17 02:56 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Rent a thermal handheld from ultimate night vision and then go out at night and get a good count unless you are in thick woods it's very effective

Re: Best way to determine doe:buck ratio [Re: Texas buckeye] #6849097 08/08/17 03:20 AM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Sapper, have one and have used it quite a bit and have seen many doe that just aren't on cameras. However, I have not seen a single Buck when thermal scanning at night. Even the young bucks that frequent the feeders all day, they are bye bye at night. I know there are many other big bucks out there too, just haven't gotten great glimpses of them. One swam a lake in front of me, that one was easy. Had a couple others that used to hit a certain feeder and now don't. Have seen a couple others on a picture or two, but I have sheds that don't match any of these. My gut tells me I am missing at least half the deer out here. Considering almost all the doe have twins makes me think conditions are good and it's not too crowded, but I don't know my ratio at all.

Simply based on pics from today (cell cameras at three different feeders) I have seen 6 doe to 3 bucks at one, 4 doe to 4 bucks at another, and 2 bucks and 1 doe at the third. However at night in thermal scans and by driving the place either at dusk or dawn, I will see anywhere from 10-20 distinct deer all of which have been doe and fawn crop. So I know I am missing a ton with my cameras. I just feel I am missing an equal
Number of bucks with my scans as they are hanging in the woods and I just am not seeing them.

For what it's worth, my driving and scanning is limited to just a single main road, so it isn't an exhaustive search.

I will meet with a biologist in 2 weeks, in addition to neighbors who have (hopefully) more time in the area to help determine good CC and density and also discuss plots and management strategy.

Re: Best way to determine doe:buck ratio [Re: Texas buckeye] #6849104 08/08/17 03:33 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I know there are a lot of deer right now that are not hitting feeders much bc of timely rains in most places. My only other suggestion would be to put some cams on some of the main trails in the are like fence crossings, stream crossings, and pinch points. It's crazy how every year people see deer they have never had on camera.

Re: Best way to determine doe:buck ratio [Re: Texas buckeye] #6849177 08/08/17 10:00 AM
HWY_MAN Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
Game cameras are not giving me much help. Surveys of what is see when out there tell me the place is over run with doe. But I see many young bucks on cameras. I know there's a ton more deer than what I am seeing on camera and sighting. I have done night surveys as well and have seen as many as 20 distinct deer all doe. Have yet to see a buck at night. Aside from helicoptering over my small ranch, what other methods can I use?

Plan to put in some plots and watch those as I know this is probably a better indicator, but my gut tells me I need to thin some doe.

To be honest there's no sure method, all have their drawbacks. I rely on general observation and it's pretty accurate, but I have the luxury of being on the ranch every day. As for state surveys i have a problem with those also. Every ranch is different and in this area there's no evidence that they've ever done a survey on ours or any of the neighbor's ranches and that's the 4 biggest ranches in the county.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Best way to determine doe:buck ratio [Re: Texas buckeye] #6849440 08/08/17 03:58 PM
M
moosehntr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
A trail camera survey is the best method for surveying small properties or areas where aerial surveys cannot be conducted. Bear in mind with a low fence, small acreage property deer are coming and going all the time from the property. Therefore the numbers will fluctuate.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_br_w7000_1444.pdf

Re: Best way to determine doe:buck ratio [Re: moosehntr] #6849519 08/08/17 05:40 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Get a drone and fly the property 3 times and get your average buck to doe ratios. Fairly accurate from what I understand about 10 percent hit or miss

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Best way to determine doe:buck ratio [Re: Texas buckeye] #6849559 08/08/17 06:36 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Google camera surveys, it is different than just putting a camera on your feeder. How much property are you trying to survey?

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Best way to determine doe:buck ratio [Re: Texas buckeye] #6854763 08/13/17 04:54 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Depending on the size of your place you probably have a transient buck population that you share with the neighbors. This time of year the bucks are wadded up in groups and the does raising young seperate and spread out. Where they are now revolves around seasonal food sources, and will change with the seasons. After antlers harden and testosterone levels elevate the bucks will seperate and occupy new areas. When that happens you will likely see them. (Too many times I hear ill informed hunters lamenting the fact they fed and photographed a particular buck all summer and then can't figure out why they left. It's what they do) On smaller acreage , observation cards for the duration of the season will be a good option to asses what is in the area.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide