430461 Topics
5933700 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Topic Options
#6847589 - 08/06/17 06:52 PM I got burned
garyrapp55 Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Ft. Worth
I bought a Lyman beam scale from eBay but it won't hold zero. It varies at a maximum of .2 grains. I've got a $10 digital I bought years ago that is more accurate, according to the check weights. At this time I think my options are, tune the beam scale and re-check accuracy or buy a new beam scale from a store so I can return it if it's a piece. I've heard beams at $100 or less are more accurate than digitals at that price point. Have any of you guys tuned your beams? Any other options I have?

#6847656 - 08/06/17 07:25 PM Re: I got burned [Re: garyrapp55]
jeffbird Online   content

Been down this road and wasted lots of money trying to save money.

Buy a brand new beam and a trickler and they are plenty accurate and sensitive right out of the box.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101297...-grain-capacity

#6847722 - 08/06/17 08:24 PM Re: I got burned [Re: garyrapp55]
RiverRider Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Wise Co.
I'd give Lyman a call. If they're anything near as good as RCBS, they'll fix you up. I have an RCBS 5-10 that I noticed acting weird back in the early 90s. I called RCBS and they said "send it to us." I got it back in about 10 days, totally refurbished and good as new. I believe Lyman's scale was an Ohaus scale, just like the RCBS scales.

Originally Posted By: Ronald Reagan
It's not that liberals are not smart, it's just that so much of what they know isn't so.

#6848314 - 08/07/17 11:13 AM Re: I got burned [Re: garyrapp55]
redchevy Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
My experience is the beam scale that came in my starter loading kit is more accurate than my chargemaster, but my chargemaster when calibrated has never failed to measure the check weights exactly either.

#6848569 - 08/07/17 03:01 PM Re: I got burned [Re: garyrapp55]
garyrapp55 Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Ft. Worth
found this, supposed to be accurate to .05 grains, I think I might get it
http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/jennings-jscale-jsvg20.html

#6848615 - 08/07/17 03:54 PM Re: I got burned [Re: garyrapp55]
jeh7mmmag Online   happy
gramps

Loc: Colleyville, DFW, TX
Try this.
Take a make up brush and windex and clean the small pillow block groves on the base. Blow dry to make sure they are clean. Then look at the knife edge on beam and make sure they are shape and smooth. If not gently clean them us with a whit stone.

#6848642 - 08/07/17 04:17 PM Re: I got burned [Re: redchevy]

Originally Posted By: redchevy
My experience is the beam scale that came in my starter loading kit is more accurate than my chargemaster, but my chargemaster when calibrated has never failed to measure the check weights exactly either.

The problem is the Chargemaster scales drifts over a loading sessions by up to 0.3 grains.

Once I started finishing powder measurements on a beam, groups shrank noticeably on paper and flyers became rare.

#6848663 - 08/07/17 04:35 PM Re: I got burned [Re: jeffbird]
FiremanJG Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
Originally Posted By: jeffbird

The problem is the Chargemaster scales drifts over a loading sessions by up to 0.3 grains.

Once I started finishing powder measurements on a beam, groups shrank noticeably on paper and flyers became rare.

Yup, yup!

800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#6848710 - 08/07/17 05:06 PM Re: I got burned [Re: garyrapp55]
BassCat'99 Online   happy
Pro Tracker

Loc: Stratford Texas
how much of that variance in the Chargemaster could be due to you lights as some stated that florescent lights interfere with electronic scales?

#6848730 - 08/07/17 05:14 PM Re: I got burned [Re: FiremanJG]
Buzzsaw Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Yup, yup!

I loaded for my new Barrett today, all measured one at a time on a beam scale, trickled to "zero" Going back old school I guess.

#6848845 - 08/07/17 06:41 PM Re: I got burned [Re: FiremanJG]
RiverRider Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Wise Co.

Yup, yup!

Yes, they WILL drift. I re-zero mine after each fifth charge. Keeps it honest.

Originally Posted By: Ronald Reagan
It's not that liberals are not smart, it's just that so much of what they know isn't so.

#6849258 - 08/08/17 08:08 AM Re: I got burned [Re: BassCat'99]

Originally Posted By: BassCat'99
how much of that variance in the Chargemaster could be due to you lights as some stated that florescent lights interfere with electronic scales?

It happens even in the middle of the day with the lights off.

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

Yup, yup!

I loaded for my new Barrett today, all measured one at a time on a beam scale, trickled to "zero" Going back old school I guess.

I use the Chargemaster to throw to 0.3 under the desired end weight, and then finish on the beam with a trickler.

Good luck with the new rifle.

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide