440317 Topics
6064228 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#6841302 - 08/01/17 11:55 AM Your local TPWD officer was found to be incorrect
Texas Dan Online   content
THF Celebrity

The discussion in another thread brings up the point that being human, TPWD officers can make mistakes when it comes to interpreting laws and restrictions.

Have you ever seen a case where your local TPWD officer was found to be incorrect after you checked with TPWD officials in Austin, or with Federal officials in cases involving migratory game birds?

I can remember one minor incident several years ago when an officer questioned the manner in which I marked the back of my license after taking a buck. I had checked the box that stated I had taken a buck with a minimum 13-inch spread. He told me I should have only checked the box if I had taken a spike. Upon closer inspection, he found that my license had been printed on license paper from the previous year in which the boxes were marked differently than the current year.

Spring, Texas

#6841315 - 08/01/17 12:01 PM Re: Your local TPWD officer was found to be incorrect [Re: Texas Dan]
8pointdrop Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: My favorite place TEXAS
I've never had a ticket from a game warden and don't plan to get one. The laws are not hard to understand and if there's grey area I call the warden. I don't like arguing with law enforcement so I listen to what he says and take it even if I think I'm right and he's wrong.

Tried to fight a traffic ticket once, I was right and the officer was mistaken. Lost a day of work and still had to pay the ticket.

#6841318 - 08/01/17 12:04 PM Re: Your local TPWD officer was found to be incorrect [Re: 8pointdrop]
Texas Dan Online   content
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
I've never had a ticket from a game warden and don't plan to get one. The laws are not hard to understand and if there's grey area I call the warden. I don't like arguing with law enforcement so I listen to what he says and take it even if I think I'm right and he's wrong.

Tried to fight a traffic ticket once, I was right and the officer was mistaken. Lost a day of work and still had to pay the ticket.

The question was really directed at those who checked on the correct interpretation of game laws before being issued a citation.

Spring, Texas

#6841346 - 08/01/17 12:22 PM Re: Your local TPWD officer was found to be incorrect [Re: Texas Dan]
rexmitchell Offline
Veteran Tracker

Best thing TPWD does is allow you to email them questions, then you have your question/answer documented in writing.

#6841381 - 08/01/17 12:56 PM Re: Your local TPWD officer was found to be incorrect [Re: rexmitchell]
SnakeWrangler Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Over yonder.....
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
Best thing TPWD does is allow you to email them questions, then you have your question/answer documented in writing.
cheers

"Death is permanent...everything else is temporary!"

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"

#6841499 - 08/01/17 02:44 PM Re: Your local TPWD officer was found to be incorrect [Re: Texas Dan]
charrisonLSON Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Dallas, TX
When I worked for the outdoor newspaper, we had a lot of issues like this come up. Duck hunting over millet (manipulated vs. non-manipulated), dove hunting near a feeder (baiting vs. not baiting), and multiple others where the law really was grey depending on the issue. I'd get quotes from the local county GW, then have someone in Austin higher up the chain say the opposite. They get confused like we do.

Bottom line is- if you have a question, call your local county warden. Invite him out to your lease and let him see that you aren't trying to break the law. Most of them (a few exceptions) are hunters, really good guys and they are just trying to do their jobs.

#6841526 - 08/01/17 02:59 PM Re: Your local TPWD officer was found to be incorrect [Re: Texas Dan]
Sneaky Online   content
The "Grouch"

Loc: Winters
Law enforcement officers are often wrong. This says a lot more about all the convoluted laws than it does about them.

#6841703 - 08/01/17 05:51 PM Re: Your local TPWD officer was found to be incorrect [Re: Texas Dan]
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe

Loc: North Texas
Sure,
I was sculling a canoe shooting Dove on a corps lake. Game warden told me my boat had to be beached, anchored, or tied up, and not under way. I was also told I could only shoot waterfowl from a boat. I knew both was legal to do and legal game for the location, but did not argue the point. The game warden was polite and did not give me a ticket. I believe the issue was the fact that it was an older long time warden. Early in his career he would have been correct, but regulation wording for shooting "waterfowl" from a floating craft had changed to "migratory game" several years ago. And "Under way only applies if by motor or sail". Hunting migratory game by sculling with no motor or sail is legal. I handled it by stopping what I was doing and thanking the game warden, then when I got home I emailed TPWD law enforcement in Austin with questions for the same hunting scenario. Then I printed out my reply and carried it with my license when hunting that way. Problem solved. I had a conversation just last week with a lifetime waterfowl hunting guide where the gentleman told me shooting ducks from a paddled moving pirogue was illegal per his game warden. It probably was when he was told. It is a common misconception.

#6841845 - 08/01/17 07:45 PM Re: Your local TPWD officer was found to be incorrect [Re: Texas Dan]
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Graham to Arlington
I've had wardens in the same boat disagree on laws and three of them all pulled out books and started reading and looking for laws and then decided that I was somehow in violation and wrote me a ticket and took all my crab legs and put them on ice in their boat. It wasn't until I called the office that I got the explanation of the law and they said we found it on a different page from the page listed for crabs. Well freaking thanks for that!

#6841871 - 08/01/17 08:09 PM Re: Your local TPWD officer was found to be incorrect [Re: Texas Dan]
rifleman Online   crying
Sparkly Pants

Loc: Kingwood
Yes...wanting to issue <13" tickets (make contact) via harvest log on a MLD3 lease. I knew the answer to that one since I helped put the mgmt plan together. His attitude sent that one South.

#6842079 - 08/02/17 12:26 AM Re: Your local TPWD officer was found to be incorrect [Re: Texas Dan]
CuzTheyFly Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: DFW & Truscott Texas
Not in Texas, But in California we had a State Game warden make a call on a young snow goose that was later over ridden by a Federal Game Warden that we took our issue to. Back in 1987...

I did hunt with a crazy Cali Duck hunter that once played a mean trick on a brand new California female game warden. She as she checked us out in the field, he said Oh you got me, I do not have a plug in this gun. He handed her his over and under and she whipped out her ticket book just as a senior training warden approached us... Needless to say the lady was quite red faced..

The Game wardens in California were much more hostile back then versus the Texas game wardens,that I have dealt with here over the years. Kinda of a Public Hunting land versus private hunting land thing. Nearly all the warden's I have encountered in North West Texas have been very professional and respectful to deal with. Yet another reason I like living and hunting in Texas versus California....

#6842150 - 08/02/17 06:55 AM Re: Your local TPWD officer was found to be incorrect [Re: Sneaky]
SnakeWrangler Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Over yonder.....
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Law enforcement officers are often wrong. This says a lot more about all the convoluted laws than it does about them.

Word^^^^^^^

"Death is permanent...everything else is temporary!"

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"

#6842223 - 08/02/17 08:26 AM Re: Your local TPWD officer was found to be incorrect [Re: Texas Dan]
Double Naught Spy Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
Game warden on Lone Star Law said it was illegal to hunt hogs without a license...which isn't quite true.

#6842246 - 08/02/17 08:42 AM Re: Your local TPWD officer was found to be incorrect [Re: Texas Dan]
Cajun Raider Offline
Tracker

Loc: Texas
Unless something has changed recently, The Texas Hunting and Fishing Annual Guide has always stated that to hunt Feral Hogs a Hunting License is required. If this has changed in the last few years then I apologize.

#6842331 - 08/02/17 09:57 AM Re: Your local TPWD officer was found to be incorrect [Re: Texas Dan]
ducknbass Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Closest I've ever had was 2 different wardens patrolling the same area telling me two different things on an area of a wma that i was duck hunting. One said it was okay other said it was not. The biologist for the wma was hunting the area as well. I emailed Austin and there interpretation was that it could not be duck hunted at which point i bounced a question off the Austin representative and he could not answer. The next year the map changed and it clearly showed the area as huntable at which case the rest of north Texas started hunting it instead of just half.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide