Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: 68rustbucket] #6823387 07/15/17 03:47 PM
HWY_MAN Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: 68rustbucket
I don't understand why there is open carry, cc seemed to be ok

It's what the citizens of Texas wanted and it seems our legislators agreed.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: HWY_MAN] #6823394 07/15/17 04:01 PM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Printing was the selling point to me... But it is handy coming in from the ranch if I stop off for sompin before going home. Normally it is concealed!

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: 68rustbucket] #6823395 07/15/17 04:02 PM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Can they legally ask for it without cause?

Yes...

Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: HWY_MAN] #6823396 07/15/17 04:06 PM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Yesterday morning I stopped at 7-11 to get some snuff and there happen to be a PD officer at the counter. He bought his stuff and was heading out the door when the clerk commented to him and he turned around. At that time he could clearly see I was carrying openly and went on out the door. I finished my business and got in the truck and proceeded to the ranch. The officer had clearly went around the corner and turned his vehicle around to watch the parking lot. When I left the lot he pulled up right behind me and followed me through 3 intersections until I got to I-20. He then turned around and went back west. It was more than obvious that he was looking for me to commit a violation so he could run an ID. What I don't understand is why he just didn't ask me for my LTC instead of going through all that. I would have had no problem complying with his request, I don't believe he has to have probable cause to request my licence nor do I think he should.

He ran your plate and found out what he needed to know...

Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: HWY_MAN] #6823399 07/15/17 04:12 PM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
We had a store robbery here almost twenty years ago. If I remember correctly the bad guy didn't announce the robbery, just simply shot two people upon walking in. Both survived, but severely injured. In another bank robbery story some years back in another town the robber walked straight up to the teller and shot and killed her.

That tells me that if the same situation were happening today the open carry person better see the bad guy first or he/she openly carrying will get shot first.

Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: Longhunter] #6823639 07/15/17 10:38 PM
HWY_MAN Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Longhunter
Yesterday morning I stopped at 7-11 to get some snuff and there happen to be a PD officer at the counter. He bought his stuff and was heading out the door when the clerk commented to him and he turned around. At that time he could clearly see I was carrying openly and went on out the door. I finished my business and got in the truck and proceeded to the ranch. The officer had clearly went around the corner and turned his vehicle around to watch the parking lot. When I left the lot he pulled up right behind me and followed me through 3 intersections until I got to I-20. He then turned around and went back west. It was more than obvious that he was looking for me to commit a violation so he could run an ID. What I don't understand is why he just didn't ask me for my LTC instead of going through all that. I would have had no problem complying with his request, I don't believe he has to have probable cause to request my licence nor do I think he should.

He ran your plate and found out what he needed to know...

That plate will only tell him who owns the truck, not who's driving it. It's under the company name.

Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: HWY_MAN] #6824040 07/16/17 01:35 PM
C
Concho Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
I don't understand why there is open carry, cc seemed to be ok

It's what the citizens of Texas wanted and it seems our legislators agreed.

The only problem I have with it is tipping off the bad guys as to who is carrying.....

Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: Concho] #6824061 07/16/17 02:13 PM
HWY_MAN Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Quote:
The only problem I have with it is tipping off the bad guys as to who is carrying.....

And that can be a good thing or a bad thing.

Let's look at what was posted earlier.

Quote:
We had a store robbery here almost twenty years ago. If I remember correctly the bad guy didn't announce the robbery, just simply shot two people upon walking in. Both survived, but severely injured. In another bank robbery story some years back in another town the robber walked straight up to the teller and shot and killed her. Carrying concealed makes little difference if your the first one shot. Do I want to trade round with a person who's obviously armed? Take that risk? I have more questions than I do answers.

That tells me that if the same situation were happening today the open carry person better see the bad guy first or he/she openly carrying will get shot first.

In both cases they shot obviously unarmed people, would that have played out the same way had someone been openly armed? I don't know but seeing armed people in an business where you plan on committing a crime is definitely going to make you put your thinking cap on. Am I willing to trade rounds with an obviously armed person? Would I go ahead and commit to the crime knowing that? I have more questions than I do answers. Is a person more likely to commit a crime in front of an unmarked patrol car or a marked one?

Last edited by HWY_MAN; 07/16/17 02:25 PM.

Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: HWY_MAN] #6824490 07/16/17 11:31 PM
JimBridger Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Your using old school thinking in a very different world that exists today. How many LEO's have been assasinated this year alone? Did carrying a firearm openly stop the perpetrators?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: HWY_MAN] #6824531 07/17/17 12:15 AM
E
erathar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Quote:

And that can be a good thing or a bad thing.

Let's look at what was posted earlier.

Quote:
We had a store robbery here almost twenty years ago. If I remember correctly the bad guy didn't announce the robbery, just simply shot two people upon walking in. Both survived, but severely injured. In another bank robbery story some years back in another town the robber walked straight up to the teller and shot and killed her. Carrying concealed makes little difference if your the first one shot. Do I want to trade round with a person who's obviously armed? Take that risk? I have more questions than I do answers.

In both cases they shot obviously unarmed people, would that have played out the same way had someone been openly armed? I don't know but seeing armed people in an business where you plan on committing a crime is definitely going to make you put your thinking cap on. Am I willing to trade rounds with an obviously armed person? Would I go ahead and commit to the crime knowing that? I have more questions than I do answers. Is a person more likely to commit a crime in front of an unmarked patrol car or a marked one?

My thoughts as well.

Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: HWY_MAN] #6826094 07/18/17 02:31 PM
G
Gravytrain Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
I starting to think that if I carried open, I'd also carry concealed at the same time in case I was caught off guard and lost control of my weapon which is my biggest fear about carrying open.

Upon us all, upon us all, a little rain must fall
Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: HWY_MAN] #6826681 07/18/17 11:36 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
How many OC people have been disarmed and shot with their own weapons? How many robberies/shootings have happen around someone that was OC'ing? How may people have been targeted and shot because they were OC'ing?

I haven't heard of a single instance in Texas yet.

Last edited by rexmitchell; 07/18/17 11:38 PM.
Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: Gravytrain] #6826701 07/18/17 11:53 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: Gravytrain
I starting to think that if I carried open, I'd also carry concealed at the same time in case I was caught off guard and lost control of my weapon which is my biggest fear about carrying open.

Did the big girls take your lunch money from you when you were a kid?

Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: krmitchell] #6835237 07/27/17 12:19 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
How many OC people have been disarmed and shot with their own weapons? How many robberies/shootings have happen around someone that was OC'ing? How may people have been targeted and shot because they were OC'ing?

I haven't heard of a single instance in Texas yet.

Not Texas specific, but here are some recent examples from the first page of a quick google search.

http://koin.com/2014/10/07/man-practicing-open-carry-law-robbed-of-gun/

https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/02/03/open-carrier-robbed-gun-virginia/

https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/05/01/clueless-open-carrier-robbed-gun-arizona/

http://www.annarbor.com/news/crime/unarmed-man-attempts-to-rob-emu-student-carrying-holstered-gun/

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/headline-man-practicing-open-carry-law-robbed-gun

Here are some really surprising youtubes of police in Texas arresting people for open carry.

Really don't understand what was going on with this mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtPNTJ1UBw0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0yiYO7N5fc

Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: HWY_MAN] #6835891 07/27/17 06:56 PM
G
Gravytrain Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
It's like walking around with $500-$1000 dollars strapped to waist and daring stupid criminals to test their speed.

I bet if someone tried to grab your gun and failed, then you shot them while they are unarmed even in close, it could cost you big $$ to stay out of jail.

Upon us all, upon us all, a little rain must fall
Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: Gravytrain] #6835927 07/27/17 07:36 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
It's like walking around with $500-$1000 dollars strapped to waist and daring stupid criminals to test their speed.

I bet if someone tried to grab your gun and failed, then you shot them while they are unarmed even in close, it could cost you big $$ to stay out of jail.

Texas Law Shield is the cheapest insurance you can buy for this scenario.

Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: Gravytrain] #6837296 07/29/17 12:15 AM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K

Sure but how is this different than someone wearing a Rolex or your wife wearing expensive jewelry (other than the fact it's a gun)? Aren't we daring someone to rob us anytime we are in public?

Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: krmitchell] #6837709 07/29/17 01:22 PM
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Sure it's different, No one was ever shot by their Rolex.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: JimBridger] #6837745 07/29/17 02:17 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Pappybear

Yet you are still walking around with a 10k watch on your wrist "daring" a criminal to take it.

Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: krmitchell] #6837870 07/29/17 04:48 PM
HWY_MAN Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Quote:
"daring" a criminal to take it.

Daring? Please tell me your joking. That's no different than saying a woman wearing a short dress is daring a man to rape her! Put your Burka back on.

Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: HWY_MAN] #6837873 07/29/17 04:52 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Quote:

Daring? Please tell me your joking. That's no different than saying a woman wearing a short dress is daring a man to rape her! Put your Burka back on.

I was referencing the previous post that said open carrying was "daring" a criminal to come take your weapon. I was trying to point out that if OC'ing is "daring" someone to rob you, then is there really a difference in wearing expensive jewelry and the same thing happening?

Last edited by rexmitchell; 07/29/17 04:54 PM.
Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: krmitchell] #6838175 07/29/17 11:38 PM
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker

Yet you are still walking around with a 10k watch on your wrist "daring" a criminal to take it.

Ha ha. My G-Shock is much better than any 10k Rolex.

Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: krmitchell] #6838187 07/29/17 11:47 PM
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Quote:

I was referencing the previous post that said open carrying was "daring" a criminal to come take your weapon. I was trying to point out that if OC'ing is "daring" someone to rob you, then is there really a difference in wearing expensive jewelry and the same thing happening?

People make themselves targets in a variety of ways. OC is not a deterrent to a motivated criminal or one that is looking for his next fix.. It can be as much of an enticement as your Rolex.

Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: JimBridger] #6838347 07/30/17 01:45 AM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Quote:

People make themselves targets in a variety of ways. OC is not a deterrent to a motivated criminal or one that is looking for his next fix.. It can be as much of an enticement as your Rolex.

That was the point I was trying to make. Any valuable item might be seen as a target for a criminal. Realistically you have a better chance of getting your jewelry stolen than your pistol......oh and I rock a G-shock as well. Great watch when you are outdoors and having fun.

Last edited by rexmitchell; 07/30/17 01:46 AM.
Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: HWY_MAN] #6838915 07/30/17 07:57 PM
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
cheers

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide