Forums46
Topics537,019
Posts9,719,442
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: ErnestTBass] #6832643 07/24/17 07:41 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: ErnestTBass
Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear
A lot goes into the answer. The biggest thing I see a lot of hunters miss the boat on is finding a place to hunt with like minded hunters. A trophy hunter has no business on the old traditional meat lease and likewise the old style shoot what ever is legal guy will be like a turd in a punch bowl on a trophy club. There is a place for either style of hunter to pursue deer how they see fit, but they mix about like oil and water.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I do find this a little puzzling.

Most people exist somewhere on the spectrum between an extreme trophy hunter or a pure meat hunter. I.e. we are going to fill our freezers every year, but we'd also rather have nice bucks to hunt. I've never been with trophy hunters who didn't have plenty of doe to shoot and didn't do so on occasion. I guess what I'm saying is this -- why can't meat hunters just shoot doe?
bc not every county allows you to shoot doe all season some are only for a week or so. What if you can't hunt that week or you don't get a shot that week but later in the season you have a group of young bucks showing up regularly, you gonna shoot a young buck or nothing that season? Some people would rather have the meat over a mature buck. Not my preference but I can shoot multiple doe a season like most.

Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6832705 07/24/17 08:33 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
EarnestT wrote "why can't meat hunters just shoot doe?"
That is where the rub comes in...

Earnest, although I am an avid hunter, my perspective is from that of a landowner.

Generally speaking, the trophy club does a far better job managing a deer herd. Balanced population, near carrying capacity, healthy age structure, better fawn recruitment...... And yes, the trophy hunter usually has ample doe to harvest each year.
There is a genesis that not all hunters go through concerning deer management, and most trophy hunters are much further along than the old school meat hunter desires to go. Nothing wrong with either group, but they have conflicting goals, and don't fit with in well in each other's camp. As a landowner who has had to sort through more than one conflict among hunters, I have come to the conclusion, if you want to see the best and worst of an individuals character, spend a year deer hunting with them.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6832802 07/24/17 09:59 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
At my lease in fisher county I have seen way more bucks than does.

We wait on a mature buck but by late December we will shoot a young buck before we shoot a doe.

It depends on where you are hunting.

Besides, I dont care wjat other people do on their own land if they are within the law.

Hunted in Louisiana with family. They shot every legal deer that stepped out on 2400 acres of land. They have been killimg 50-60 deer a year for the last 25 years.

I didnt like it so I stopped hunting with them. Its their lease, if they are happy it is no one else's business.

Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: sprigsss] #6832809 07/24/17 10:07 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: sprigsss
At my lease in fisher county I have seen way more bucks than does.

We wait on a mature buck but by late December we will shoot a young buck before we shoot a doe.

It depends on where you are hunting.

Besides, I dont care wjat other people do on their own land if they are within the law.

Hunted in Louisiana with family. They shot every legal deer that stepped out on 2400 acres of land. They have been killimg 50-60 deer a year for the last 25 years.

I didnt like it so I stopped hunting with them. Its their lease, if they are happy it is no one else's business.

Fisher, being a one buck county, I think everyone sees way more bucks than does. I know we do.
A lot of folks tag out with one buck and then kill 4 does.

Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6832849 07/24/17 10:46 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Why can't meat hunters just shoot doe? Well some LF places have 200" deer so should we all be holding out for a 200" deer? Hell no! Believe it or not we all don't have the same definition of a trophy and some folks just don't care. I hunted a 1000 acre place for 9 years and we all let younger bucks go but had neighbors that didn't. Their land so none of my business. Antler restrictions helped a lot and we had lots of 125" 3-4 yr olds that were going to be really nice bucks in a yr or two. Then sorry boys we want to hunt the place and we were off.

Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: BOONER] #6832866 07/24/17 10:59 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: BOONER
Why can't meat hunters just shoot doe? Well some LF places have 200" deer so should we all be holding out for a 200" deer? Hell no! Believe it or not we all don't have the same definition of a trophy and some folks just don't care. I hunted a 1000 acre place for 9 years and we all let younger bucks go but had neighbors that didn't. Their land so none of my business. Antler restrictions helped a lot and we had lots of 125" 3-4 yr olds that were going to be really nice bucks in a yr or two. Then sorry boys we want to hunt the place and we were off.

Have seen this a ton. A group is really patient and only shoots a deer or two over multiple years. Just when they are ready to start reaping the rewards from their efforts the landowner wants to go a different direction.

Another words thanks for paying me to manage my property im now gonna go get more money.

One mans trash is another mans trophy.

I let a lot of good 3 1/2 year old deer go last year. Now landowner turned my 300 acres of wooded creek bottoms to 300 acres of grubbed up grassland.

Drout hit us hard and deer were finally making a good comeback.

Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: sprigsss] #6834547 07/26/17 01:05 PM
6InARowMakeItGo Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: sprigsss
Originally Posted By: BOONER

Have seen this a ton. A group is really patient and only shoots a deer or two over multiple years. Just when they are ready to start reaping the rewards from their efforts the landowner wants to go a different direction.

Another words thanks for paying me to manage my property im now gonna go get more money.

One mans trash is another mans trophy.

I let a lot of good 3 1/2 year old deer go last year. Now landowner turned my 300 acres of wooded creek bottoms to 300 acres of grubbed up grassland.

Drout hit us hard and deer were finally making a good comeback.

Exactly, I wouldn't put in a lot of time trying to "manage" a lease with a year to year contract, just for that reason.

I'd pay my money and shoot legal deer and be happy, but wouldn't try to manage it

🍻
Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6836732 07/28/17 03:45 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Now I remember why I haven't logged in to this site for a while. rofl So many critics. I only shoot "dumb" deer. Got to keep the gene pool in check.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6837720 07/29/17 01:42 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
I won't shoot a young buck. Doe get a pass on our homeplace too.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6838196 07/29/17 11:58 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
"Meat" hunters that shoot young bucks are just hunters with no discipline. The use the "meat" hunter tag it sounds better to them than yearly young buck shooter.

Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: txbobcat] #6838236 07/30/17 12:33 AM
B
BayouGuy Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: txbobcat
"Meat" hunters that shoot young bucks are just hunters with no discipline. The use the "meat" hunter tag it sounds better to them than yearly young buck shooter.

Hunters who disagree with other hunters who do not share their big buck obsession have every right to their opinion. Stating their disagreement is fine. However, when they make insulting comments in a forum they are just posters with no discipline. Feel free to call me a young buck shooter, or a meat hunter, as you wish. Either way is fine with me.

If you can't laugh at yourself, give me a call. I'll gladly laugh at you.

"I keep trying to see Nancy Pelosi's and Chuck Schumer's point of view,
but I can't seem to get my head that far up my [censored]." Senator John Kennedy, Louisiana
Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6839493 07/31/17 04:17 AM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Post about shooting young vs. mature bucks, or HF vs. LF are a beat down. I can promise you that I will not
lose one ounce of sleep worrying about what someone on this forum says about how I choose to hunt My lease or property.

Last edited by bigjoe8565; 07/31/17 04:26 AM.
Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6839553 07/31/17 11:44 AM
D
DH3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I have owned my ranch for 19 years. During that time, I have shot maybe 3 or 4 bucks, but without exception, I have taken a doe on opening day for 19 years straight. My sons/grandsons and others have also taken a few bucks and occasional does.
For some reason, I now have an overabundance of bucks, the ratio is out of whack and the bucks outnumber the does by 2:1. This is a LOW FENCE ranch. I have instituted an 8 points or better rule and still get a proliferation of 4 and 6 point young bucks.
Neighbors also shoot 8 points and up. I cannot explain the ratio disparity, but I am happy with it.

Old age and treachery beats youth and stupid every time!
Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: BayouGuy] #6839567 07/31/17 12:17 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: BayouGuy

Hunters who disagree with other hunters who do not share their big buck obsession have every right to their opinion. Stating their disagreement is fine. However, when they make insulting comments in a forum they are just posters with no discipline. Feel free to call me a young buck shooter, or a meat hunter, as you wish. Either way is fine with me.

Is it really "meat" hunting if what you shoot HAS to be a buck? Sounds more like a buck hunter.

Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: txbobcat] #6839580 07/31/17 12:32 PM
B
BayouGuy Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
B
Is it really "meat" hunting if what you shoot HAS to be a buck? Sounds more like a buck hunter.

The State harvest limit for the area where I have a lease is three deer - two bucks & one doe or two does & one buck. I usually take two deer a year because that's about all I need. Some years I take three if I ran out of meat from the previous year, or when I want to make a giant batch of jerky.

Our club discourages taking does because our herd is still recovering from years of low numbers because our pine tree plantation was close to mature with little undergrowth. Third row thinning two years ago on part of the lease and clear cutting last year on other parts remedied our low browse problem and we will likely be able to increase our doe kill next year.

but I can't seem to get my head that far up my [censored]." Senator John Kennedy, Louisiana
Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6839591 07/31/17 12:48 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
If I like the way a buck looks, I'll shoot him. He might be bigger next year, but if I'm happy with him now, why wait?

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: TFF Caribou] #6839601 07/31/17 01:05 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
If I like the way a buck looks, I'll shoot him. He might be bigger next year, but if I'm happy with him now, why wait?

Here is my question:

If a person isn't going to mount him and he isn't a cull, why shoot ?

This isn't a trophy hunting question, it's more of a greed question.

I know a lot of guys who kill a buck just to say they did. This isn't directed at you just the scenerio presented itself thru your ?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: txbobcat] #6839602 07/31/17 01:07 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Great post!

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: txbobcat] #6839716 07/31/17 02:28 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
"Meat" hunters that shoot young bucks are just hunters with no discipline. They use the "meat" hunter tag it sounds better to them than yearly young buck shooter.

This. I hate the term "meat hunter"....it's 2017, if you need meat then deer hunting is probably the most expensive meat you will ever buy. You can buy filet mignon's by the truckload for what it costs to hunt deer. Quit calling yourself a "meat hunter" to make yourself feel better, how about saying "I'm just an immature deer hunter".

Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: txbobcat] #6839718 07/31/17 02:30 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Is it really "meat" hunting if what you shoot HAS to be a buck? Sounds more like a immature buck hunter.

Helped you out a little. clap

Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: txtrophy85] #6839784 07/31/17 03:04 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

Here is my question:

If a person isn't going to mount him and he isn't a cull, why shoot ?

This isn't a trophy hunting question, it's more of a greed question.

I know a lot of guys who kill a buck just to say they did. This isn't directed at you just the scenerio presented itself thru your ?

In my case, any buck I kill is at least getting a euro mount done. I haven't killed a buck in 5 years though. Only seen one that I wanted on the wall. But I don't see a ton of bucks at our place.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: DocHorton] #6839804 07/31/17 03:20 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: DocHorton

Is it really "meat" hunting if what you shoot HAS to be a buck? Sounds more like a immature buck hunter.

Helped you out a little. clap

Call me an opportunist.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6839881 07/31/17 04:14 PM
B
BayouGuy Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
B
There are no deer heads on my walls, nor do I want any. There's a fair amount of immature buck meat in my freezer though. And I thoroughly enjoyed hunting them, and thoroughly enjoy eating them. grin

Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: DocHorton] #6839974 07/31/17 05:10 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
"Meat" hunters that shoot young bucks are just hunters with no discipline. They use the "meat" hunter tag it sounds better to them than yearly young buck shooter.

This. I hate the term "meat hunter"....it's 2017, if you need meat then deer hunting is probably the most expensive meat you will ever buy. You can buy filet mignon's by the truckload for what it costs to hunt deer. Quit calling yourself a "meat hunter" to make yourself feel better, how about saying "I'm just an immature deer hunter".

News flash Doc!!! You don't get to decide how other people hunt or what they feel by shooting a young buck! Does a young buck have meat, well then I'm a meat hunter if I hunt and kill one. Right??? People that call meat hunters immature hunters are usually the ARRAGANT ones that feel they are superior to others. Usually city folk that grew up with money not understanding that to some folk, hunting is way more than a status symbol!

Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: DocHorton] #6839982 07/31/17 05:15 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

I can go on Ft Hood kill a buck and process it myself for under 100 dollars.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide