Forum Stats
62629 Members
46 Forums
437874 Topics
6031477 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6832868 - 07/24/17 06:02 PM No more zip locked bags...
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Lake X
So yesterday I'm cleaning my pool, take a wrong step, and I fall into the pool, lol. I'm 55 and I have never just fallen in a pool before. So I get out of the pool real fast, get wallet, and put in the sun to dry off. My phone, where is my phone??? I check my pockets not there... Look in pool, there it is, at the bottom. So I dive in after it, sure enough it don't work. Left out side in heat to dry out all day, still did not work this morning...

So maybe God is talking to me? "Guy, you are getting old, your next spill might be off the GatorTrax, 20 degrees, etc..".. I'm pretty good about putting iphone in zip lock bag when I go out on the water, but not always. And I hate the waterproof cases. So figured time to get iphone 7 plus, they are not "water proof", they are not going to guarantee you can go scuba dive with it, but you can go swim with it, for sure will handle taking a spill out of the boat. Had iphone 5 before, so nice upgrade with big screen as well, I can read THF better when ducks are slow. grin

#6832914 - 07/24/17 06:41 PM Re: No more zip locked bags... [Re: Guy]
nate33 Offline
Bird Dog

leave your phone in your truck like I do ----- never just fallen in the pool before ??? Brace yourself,LOTS of stupid things like that will begin to happen to you. !

#6832995 - 07/24/17 07:21 PM Re: No more zip locked bags... [Re: nate33]
BDB Offline
Tracker

Loc: Mesquite
Originally Posted By: nate33
leave your phone in your truck like I do ----- never just fallen in the pool before ??? Brace yourself,LOTS of stupid things like that will begin to happen to you. !

If I had to leave my phone in the truck when I want to go duck hunting I'd have to take up golf. Running my business requires a phone on me pretty much full time. My buddy has commenced shooting at landing ducks while I've been on the phone taking care of business.

#6832998 - 07/24/17 07:24 PM Re: No more zip locked bags... [Re: Guy]
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Fairfield, TX
I was just using my phone while sitting in the hot tub...... confused2

"Death is permanent...everything else is temporary!"

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"

#6833267 - 07/24/17 11:19 PM Re: No more zip locked bags... [Re: Guy]
nak Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: DFW
I too stick my phone in a zip-lock bag when I'm going to be on/around the water. Too bad my camera was not in one too last Thursday, when I unexpectedly checked out the water temperature in a cold Rocky Mountain stream. frown

I'm going to try to milk another year out of my current iPhone, but I will likely go with one of the waterproof ones next time.

#6833291 - 07/25/17 12:00 AM Re: No more zip locked bags... [Re: Guy]
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Abilene, TX
Life-proof case has saved my phone many times. It did fail one time when it fell out of my waders in a few inches of water. Somehow the case was cracked open and a little water fried it.

#6833360 - 07/25/17 06:44 AM Re: No more zip locked bags... [Re: Guy]
reeltexan Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Ovilla - TEXAS

I'm with Nate. I prefer to leave the phone in the truck while hunting and fishing. There's times in life when life is better without.

Oh, and I don't think I'll be paying $700 for any more phones. There are many options that work fine these days.

"Count that day lost whose low, descending sun
Is not, in part, obscured by powder from my gun"
B. Spiller

#6833384 - 07/25/17 07:16 AM Re: No more zip locked bags... [Re: Guy]
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Frisco, Texas
LifeProof rocks, its like extra insurance

I also use a waterproof sleeve (at Academy) when fishing, just in case, it floats.

Deer blind, so I can text my other hunters while bored

#6833561 - 07/25/17 09:40 AM Re: No more zip locked bags... [Re: Guy]
ndhunter Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
Originally Posted By: Guy
So yesterday I'm cleaning my pool, take a wrong step, and I fall into the pool, lol. I'm 55 and I have never just fallen in a pool before. So I get out of the pool real fast, get wallet, and put in the sun to dry off. My phone, where is my phone??? I check my pockets not there... Look in pool, there it is, at the bottom. So I dive in after it, sure enough it don't work. Left out side in heat to dry out all day, still did not work this morning...

So maybe God is talking to me? "Guy, you are getting old, your next spill might be off the GatorTrax, 20 degrees, etc..".. I'm pretty good about putting iphone in zip lock bag when I go out on the water, but not always. And I hate the waterproof cases. So figured time to get iphone 7 plus, they are not "water proof", they are not going to guarantee you can go scuba dive with it, but you can go swim with it, for sure will handle taking a spill out of the boat. Had iphone 5 before, so nice upgrade with big screen as well, I can read THF better when ducks are slow. grin

Lifeproof works pretty good

When my older son got an iPhone 7 he told my they were waterproof. I told him I had my doubts about that at which point he tossed it in the pool. I asked him not to do that anymore while he was on my phone plan.

You're getting old. I think the Life Alerts are waterproof so no need for a waterproof case. You may want to consider a PFD while you are around the pool.

#6833593 - 07/25/17 10:04 AM Re: No more zip locked bags... [Re: Guy]
Cappy_TX Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Denison, TX

Wait until you're 75 years old, have an anterior left hip replacement and then try walking on your new titanium joint without a walker or cane. wink

#6834454 - 07/26/17 05:33 AM Re: No more zip locked bags... [Re: Buzzsaw]
Stump_jumper Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Rockwall, Tx
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
LifeProof rocks, its like extra insurance

I also use a waterproof sleeve (at Academy) when fishing, just in case, it floats.

Deer blind, so I can text my other hunters while bored
don't have service on my lease except at camp so we do not have to text in blinds. This is fine by me. I take my phone to work and that is about it unless I am travelling. Stays on end table when I am home. No need for phone when I am cleaning pool or mowing. Normally do not even take on boat while fishing.

#6834525 - 07/26/17 07:43 AM Re: No more zip locked bags... [Re: BDB]
colt45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: bastrop county
Originally Posted By: BDB
Originally Posted By: nate33

If I had to leave my phone in the truck when I want to go duck hunting I'd have to take up golf. Running my business requires a phone on me pretty much full time. My buddy has commenced shooting at landing ducks while I've been on the phone taking care of business.
how did the world rotate before the dam cell phones

#6834612 - 07/26/17 08:55 AM Re: No more zip locked bags... [Re: Guy]
PKnTX Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Collin County
My iphone wouldn't work for a couple days after getting wet.

Finally took out to air compressor and blew out all the ports.
High pressure. Blew it out good and it started back up and worked fine.

Give it a try, can't hurt.

#6834645 - 07/26/17 09:18 AM Re: No more zip locked bags... [Re: Guy]
Dalroo Offline
Tracker

Loc: The Heart of Texas
Dunked my Iphone a year or so ago and thought it was probably dead. Put in bag with a couple of the silica packets from old shoe boxes and within a couple of days it was back in business. Still working today.

#6834731 - 07/26/17 10:36 AM Re: No more zip locked bags... [Re: Guy]
Dfwguy Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: TX
I have the iPhone 7+ and still use a Lifeproof when out on the water. No clue if it's actually water proof, but, even if it is, salt water has a way of making water proof things not so water proof...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide