Print Thread
New and have a few questions #6829572 07/21/17 03:01 AM
R
Rickybobby8 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
I am pretty new to deer hunting, have a doe and one buck....but on a private lease. I wanted something I could do more than once a year and more of a challenge. I have read over the last year's worth of post and they have answered a ton of questions. I have a few more I hope get answered with y'all's help. Sorry if they are "rookie" questions...in my defense...I am a rookie for most purposes.

- I keep reading "couldn't shoot a doe because I didn't have a doe tag". This mostly refers to shsp, but when I pull the information it says archery is either sex and special permit for gun doe. I'm I reading this right?

- do you field dress or are you allowed to quarter a deer in the field? Do any of the lands have a place where you could quarter a deer and dispose of remaining carcus?

- you can't camp outside of "camping areas"...are you still allowed to head to the field hours before first light? Is there a time limit on when you can head out?

- is there a way to let other hunters know you are hunting an area? I do not want to walk across someone and miss a sign that tells me to walk around.

I am hoping to get better with a bow to the point i am confident. If not I will skip archery season.
Reading I know nothing is guaranteed on public lands. Wanted more of a challenge then shooting high fenced feeders. Don't get me wrong, if I get to go to ranch again I won't pass it up. But not exactly the outdoors experience I'm looking for.

Last edited by Rickybobby8; 07/21/17 03:03 AM.
Re: New and have a few questions [Re: Rickybobby8] #6829946 07/21/17 03:41 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
1. Different counties have different regulations, then the public land your hinting on could have regulations that vary from county. So read both.

2. Most anyone is going to field dress, most public locations (but not all) require you to check the deer in at a deer check station not quartered. Again specific to area you're hunting.

3. Most areas you can head out whenever. Again check relations. I know that can vary with duck hunting. Not sure about deer.

4. No way to know where someone hunting.
Ive had people walk really close to a ground blind not knowing it. Pretty sure I walked under someone once out scouting.

Make sure and wear your hunters orange and look for it. I've never harvested a deer on public in Texas but have other States. It can be challenging. I've bow hunted some on Texas wmas had deer within bow range but just never had quit the right window to let an arrow fly. The one area i will go blind to and bow hunt on a wma is about A mile walk. But it's great hunting as long as the oaks did their part and I've never had anyone ruin my hunt. You will have to get creative yo get away from people. Jon boats, canoes, kayaks, bikes. They all have a place.

As far as regulations. Know the county regulations and whatever special regs there are for the particular public land you're on. Dates come where they are closed etc.

Last edited by ducknbass; 07/21/17 03:44 PM.
Re: New and have a few questions [Re: Rickybobby8] #6829947 07/21/17 03:41 PM
A
AdanV Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
- Each public hunting ground has its own set of rules, along with the rules imposed by TPWD.
I would check on all the rules for which ever hunting ground you're going to. Same goes for camping and predawn scouting.

Things that I can do at Sam Houston National Forest, I am prohibited from doing at Nails Creek WMA.

- I've not yet bagged a doe in public hunting grounds. But I've heard you can dress it, but not fully quarter it. Reason being, you'll need to attach the tag and game wardens need it for identification.
Again, check TPWDs website to confirm it.

- Other than wearing your Hunter Orange, I can't tell you anything else as I've never encountered another hunter.

God Bless Texas
texas

Arsenal:
Savage Axis II - 30-06
Stoeger P350 - 12 Gauge
Diamond Edge SB-1 - Compound Bow
Re: New and have a few questions [Re: Rickybobby8] #6830289 07/21/17 10:31 PM
R
Rickybobby8 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
I thought about the kayak/canoe route. Paddle upstream then float back down. My reservations are

1- do not know how easy it is to transport deer in one
2- worries about someone stealing boat while I'm hunting

Re: New and have a few questions [Re: Rickybobby8] #6832255 07/24/17 12:55 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
In the SHNF (Sam Houston National Forest) during archery season you can take a doe without a doe tag. During rifle season you are still allowed to hunt with your bow but you must have a Doe tag to harvest a doe.
Look here for a doe tag.
https://www2.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/public_hunt_drawing/ [url=https://www2.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/public_hunt_drawing/][/url]

You can quarter your deer in the field as long as you keep the head for proof of sex until you reach home and the freezer. You can leave the carcass in the field. The coyotes and turkey buzzards will dispose of it within a few days.

You can go anytime. In fact if you are not in your stand before the sun comes up then you are probably too late.

The only time I saw other hunters was at the main road where we park.

Hunting the SHNF is what you are looking for if you are looking for a hunting challenge. My suggestion is to go scout a few days before you actually hunt and go find exact areas to put your tree stand up ahead of time so you can be in and ready before the sun is up. Or if you dont like tree stands then go build your self several ground blinds. The key is looking for shooting lanes. Finding areas that you can shoot from the ground and see deer from a distance requires some serious scouting but those magic spots are out there.

GO TRUMP!
Re: New and have a few questions [Re: Rickybobby8] #6832393 07/24/17 03:33 PM
R
Rickybobby8 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
Thank you.

I am think of getting a climbing stand. They weight between 20-30 lbs, so think I can still transverse a few miles with it. Just have to figure a way to put it over my back pack.
The ladder or lean tree stands I kind of worry about someone stealing them. I could be wrong about this and there may not be need to worry.
I could go the ground blind route, but think with archery the tree route may be better. I put in for a doe tag at SHNP.
I do wonder how safe it is out there when everyone has a gun. I'm thinking maybe it's just crowded opening weekend and dies down after that.

I'm in Katy, so Sam is a lot closer. Either way I need to learn the laws of the land (where you can park or not) and which areas are hunted heavy so I can afford these.

Reading on Moore plantation, seems like most people stay away from he southern area. Don't know if this is because there are not many deer there or not.

If someone hunts the Moore WMA, and has suggestions....even just safer places to spend the night or a local diner with some grub...it would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone

Re: New and have a few questions [Re: Rickybobby8] #6832960 07/25/17 12:06 AM
B
BPurvisJr Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Go talk to the GW at the places you are looking at hunting. I started hunting public land about two years ago, and they are a great source of knowledge. Climber is a good way to go, or get a lock on stand with some lighter climbing sticks.

I grew up in Katy. Graduated from Taylor HS in 2001. wink

Re: New and have a few questions [Re: Rickybobby8] #6833194 07/25/17 02:45 AM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
It is illegal to leave your stand out in the SHNF or game camera or anything. The GW or some person may take it. People do it but those are the rules.

I have never hunted opening weekend and I think I may have only hunted 1 time on the weekend. Definitely weekdays are the time to go and other than seeing a person at the main road where I park I have never seen another hunter. I have heard gunshots within a mile or so of me but that is it. I am definitely not worried about getting shot out there.

A treestand will make it much easier to hunt the SAM because of the thick canopy.

Good Luck

GO TRUMP!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide