Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Archery's popularity is slipping [Re: Buzzsaw] #6889974 09/17/17 07:36 PM
N
no-guts-no-glory Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
I believe crossbows are gaining more popularity than using a compound bow.

Re: Archery's popularity is slipping [Re: no-guts-no-glory] #6890334 09/18/17 01:35 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: no-guts-no-glory
I believe crossbows are gaining more popularity than using a compound bow.

they def. are.

I don't have a contempt for crossbows, but they def. are easier to use. My emotions regarding them to be used by able body folks during archery season remains mixed

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Archery's popularity is slipping [Re: Buzzsaw] #6890421 09/18/17 02:54 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Crossbows definitely get more out there hunting and that is the big reason they are legal. Also too many people do not put in the effort to get good with their compounds let alone traditional equipment.

The bicycle bows, those with 2 wheels are not that difficult to get good enough to hunt with at say 30 yards which is further than average kills with any and all bow, trad, compound and crossbow. The crossbow biggest limiting factor is noise

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Archery's popularity is slipping [Re: kmon11] #6890985 09/18/17 05:33 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: kmon1
Crossbows definitely get more out there hunting and that is the big reason they are legal. Also too many people do not put in the effort to get good with their compounds let alone traditional equipment.

The bicycle bows, those with 2 wheels are not that difficult to get good enough to hunt with at say 30 yards which is further than average kills with any and all bow, trad, compound and crossbow. The crossbow biggest limiting factor is noise

Agree, and I think the main negative of the crossbow is a lot of those folks that fail to put in the time practicing with the crossbow, are taking way too far of a shot at game, failing to learn it's limitations.
As mentioned it's not much different from a compound as for distance, and the noise limits it's effective range.
If you don't have a handicap the compound is hands down the best choice.
I've hunted with both, and most of my kills have been within 15 to 20 yards, with a couple at plus 30.

Last edited by Jimbo; 09/18/17 05:38 PM.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Archery's popularity is slipping [Re: kmon11] #6891511 09/19/17 01:14 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: kmon1

Still, my compound does not wear a 2.5x4 power scope.

It's very easy to shoot a compound.

I had never shot one before in my life, and the first time I drilled a bullseye at 20 yards. That won't happen with a compound.

I'm not saying they arnt legitimate hunting weapons, my thoughts are "should they be legal during bow season"?

I have mixed emotions and I can see both sides of the coin

Re: Archery's popularity is slipping [Re: Buzzsaw] #6891915 09/19/17 01:25 PM
R
RockDocJoe Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
I agree with you txtrophy85. Crossbows are great and do open up hunting to a lot more folks, but aren't they essentially a low powered gun that shoots arrows instead of bullets?

My thoughts on crossbow in bow season always bring me back to handicapped individuals and archery only huntings areas. Those are an absolute yes to crossbows for bow season, IMHO.

Re: Archery's popularity is slipping [Re: RockDocJoe] #6892050 09/19/17 03:23 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: DFWpublichunter
I agree with you txtrophy85. Crossbows are great and do open up hunting to a lot more folks, but aren't they essentially a low powered gun that shoots arrows instead of bullets?

My thoughts on crossbow in bow season always bring me back to handicapped individuals and archery only huntings areas. Those are an absolute yes to crossbows for bow season, IMHO.

For a legitimate handicapped person absolutely. I bought one for my uncle so he could bow hunt with me. His shoulders and back are so bad even with a crossbow it's hard to get it up and get a shot without spooking.

Kinda like muzzleloader season. A hawkin replica is a totally different ballgame vs. a T/C inline with a 3x9 redfield, pyro pellets and a saboted bullet

Re: Archery's popularity is slipping [Re: Buzzsaw] #6892136 09/19/17 04:38 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I'm still shooting a Parker package bow from cabelas I got for Christmas in 2004.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Archery's popularity is slipping [Re: Buzzsaw] #6892149 09/19/17 04:50 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Quote....."Kinda like muzzleloader season. A hawkin replica is a totally different ballgame vs. a T/C inline with a 3x9 redfield, pyro pellets and a saboted bullet"

I know it's off topic, but I believe this was the intent when TPWD first came out with Muzzleloader season, but the wording didn't rule out modern in-lines (which most never knew existed) and the manufacturers jumped on it, and the rest is history.
Most in-lines shoot as far with modern optics as a modern cartridge rifle.
Kind of dumb putting the traditional and in-line together, so just extend the regular gun season would make more sense.
You can use either in the regular season anyway so why have a special season?
That said, you could say the same for when the compound bow came to be, and crossbows were illegal anyway.
I was around when the first compounds hit the scene, and even jumped on that wagon with my first compound being a PSE with the old hanger mounted round wheels with glass limbs....Which blew up on me the day before the season started. bang

Carry on! offtopic

Last edited by Jimbo; 09/19/17 05:14 PM.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide