Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
whay are you still shooting young bucks? #6828519 07/20/17 01:46 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
I hunted with a guy who would NEVER shoot a doe.

His wife would NOT let him put a mounted deer in the house, so his antlers go in a box in the garage.

So why do hunters kill nice, young, bucks instead of the tasty doe standing next to him????? Just to go chunk the antlers in the garage?

Youths killing one is ok cuz they haven't done it much so anything is a "trophy"

IMO, if you shoot a buck, you owe it to the animal to at least do a skull mount, be proud and thankful for this animal. Or thin the heard with a couple does. or if you don't eat it donate the meat. OR just go camping

Same with bobcats

I'm sure I'm posting this cuz I have been chasing these critters for 40 years. I do remember when I was young, if I didn't kill a buck, I felt tons of pressure to kill one, especially if someone else in camp have killed one. I guess getting older, its more fun to watch the animals than have to clean one, then go have a bourbon

I'm not telling anyone how or what to hunt, there is enough of this already

just my opinions deer2 or deer

Last edited by Buzzsaw; 07/20/17 01:49 PM.
Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6828543 07/20/17 02:04 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Why do people shoot young bucks? Probably because it is much easier than shooting an old one. Or they can't tell the difference.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6828559 07/20/17 02:19 PM
R
Russ79 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I know a lease manager that has a lease where the members are not allowed to shoot does- he claims that will improve the buck quality. I learned long ago that you can't reason someone out of what they don't reason themselves into.

Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: Texan Til I Die] #6828567 07/20/17 02:22 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Texan Til I Die
Why do people shoot young bucks? Probably because it is much easier than shooting an old one. Or they can't tell the difference.

people have trouble telling the difference between a young buck and a old doe?

those people need lasik not hunting licenses

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6828579 07/20/17 02:28 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Impatience, lack of education, simple fact there are large areas with heavy hunting pressure where mature deer almost do not exist. See a young buck with a rack bigger than his contemporaries and he gets plugged. I have hunted with and spoke to several people who simply did not believe in killing does, I think they are wrong, but that doesn't mean anything short of God Almighty coming down from the heavens was going to change their mind.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6828587 07/20/17 02:29 PM
B
BayouGuy Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Why do people shoot young bucks? Because they are there and they taste good. grin Big horns get everyone excited (even me), but I don't have the trophy rack obsession. My philosophy is based on the reason man has always hunted - to get meat. Predators don't care whether their meat has big racks or small ones. So enjoy the hunt and kill what makes you happy. I will not demean you for being selective in your kill.

If you can't laugh at yourself, give me a call. I'll gladly laugh at you.

"I keep trying to see Nancy Pelosi's and Chuck Schumer's point of view,
but I can't seem to get my head that far up my [censored]." Senator John Kennedy, Louisiana
Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: BayouGuy] #6828601 07/20/17 02:33 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: BayouGuy
Why do people shoot young bucks? Because they are there and they taste good. grin Big horns get everyone excited (even me), but I don't have the trophy rack obsession. My philosophy is based on the reason man has always hunted - to get meat. Predators don't care whether their meat has big racks or small ones. So enjoy the hunt and kill what makes you happy. I will not demean you for being selective in your kill.

And I agree with you

Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6828607 07/20/17 02:38 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I personally don't understand why people habitually shoot immature deer.

Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6828618 07/20/17 02:42 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I shoot young bucks if I don't like their spread. We get a lot of funky slick 6s that rarely turn into anything more. I do prefer does for the meat.

I think it's also fair to point out that while you may have an opinion on what should or should not be harvested, you don't get to dictate the personal preferences of others, as long as they're obeying game laws. Even a fairly young buck will often weigh more than a doe, and maybe someone doesn't give 2 squirts of pee about antlers, but want more meat per animal harvested.

To each his own.

Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6828621 07/20/17 02:43 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

His wife would NOT let him put a mounted deer in the house, so his antlers go in a box in the garage.

So why do hunters kill nice, young, bucks instead of the tasty doe standing next to him????? Just to go chunk the antlers in the garage?

Youths killing one is ok cuz they haven't done it much so anything is a "trophy"

IMO, if you shoot a buck, you owe it to the animal to at least do a skull mount, be proud and thankful for this animal. Or thin the heard with a couple does. or if you don't eat it donate the meat. OR just go camping

Same with bobcats

I'm sure I'm posting this cuz I have been chasing these critters for 40 years. I do remember when I was young, if I didn't kill a buck, I felt tons of pressure to kill one, especially if someone else in camp have killed one. I guess getting older, its more fun to watch the animals than have to clean one, then go have a bourbon

Pretty sure you know my opinion on this.

If a deer makes you happy, and you are going to eat it, then I really can't argue with you shooting it.

HOWEVER, last year a guy rolls into the local gas station with a 13" 2 1/2 yr old 8pt. I know where this guy hunts and they are overrun with does. Somebody compliments him on the buck (taken Sunday morning after opening day) and his response was 'Well, I'm not very happy with him, but I hadn't seen any big ones and I had to shoot something. At least it's a buck.'
bang bang bang bang bang bang

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6828628 07/20/17 02:48 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Depending on your lease if you continue to shoot the young bucks how are you ever going to improve the herd. I know hunters who will go home empty handed rather than shoot a doe. Maybe it is a macho thing.

Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6828636 07/20/17 02:52 PM
P
Phantom Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
I generally shoot two does for meat. I hunt year round for a good mature buck. To me the fun ends when I shoot so I would rather wait for that mature great buck and go home without anything than shoot a young deer not at its potential. The pressure to get a buck is immature from a hunting/conservation point of view.

Good is the enemy of Great
Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6828643 07/20/17 02:59 PM
D
DUKFVR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Why are you so worried about what other people shoot? If it is legal who cares. You may not believe it,but there are people who just like to get out and hunt. Not everyone is into horns. There are alot who just want to enjoy their time outdoors and get some healthy meat. Who are you or anyone else to judge another persons deer. I say congrats to them. Nothing worse to me than people who cut down what a person shoots. If they are happy and it is legal , it is good. If you are on a lease that is managed, you go by the rules they set,if it is a family-we are there to hunt and have fun lease, do as the law allows and be proud of it. I will add I haven't shot a buck in so long I don't remember the exact year. We shoot does over young bucks, but that is our choice. If I see another hunter with a legal deer , I congratulate them, whether young deer or old. It's about having fun.

Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: txtrophy85] #6828653 07/20/17 03:05 PM
B
BayouGuy Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

Perhaps for the same reason most beef is slaughtered at around 24 months. grin

I don't understand the hang up with trophy hunting. So, as with liberals and conservatives, we will never understand each other.

but I can't seem to get my head that far up my [censored]." Senator John Kennedy, Louisiana
Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6828656 07/20/17 03:06 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
They are either stupid or can't tell the difference between a 3yo. and a 6yo.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: snake oil] #6828671 07/20/17 03:13 PM
B
BayouGuy Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: snake oil
They are either stupid or can't tell the difference between a 3yo. and a 6yo.

That's a rather arrogant statement.

Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: BayouGuy] #6828846 07/20/17 05:18 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

I don't understand the hang up with trophy hunting. So, as with liberals and conservatives, we will never understand each other.

So shoot a 24 month old doe.

If a person is a meat hunter why not shoot does, in most areas they are plentiful and leave the bucks to the guys that do hunt for trophies. Makes no sense to pass up several does to shoot a 2 year old buck just for the meat

Kids, elderly, etc. I can see letting them kill one. I had an uncle whose garage was littered with 2 1/2 year old racks. Asked him why he shot those....."well, we never saw anything bigger". Well yeah, wonder why?

Does are made of meat too

Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6828850 07/20/17 05:21 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
you don't owe it to the buck to do nothing but not waste the meat... antlers can go to the dogs for all it really matters if your talking about owing anything to the animal .. id rather shoot a doe either way you look at it but still

Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6828927 07/20/17 06:14 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

Same with bobcats

I have wondered these same things myself. I'm lucky, my ranch and I set the rules on what is allowed to be shot. I agree with Bobcats too, they are not to be killed on my ranch unless I feel we're getting too many. Lots of Coyotes, Pigs and Does here if someone needs to pull a trigger.

Last edited by Stompy; 07/20/17 06:15 PM.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6828930 07/20/17 06:14 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I used to shoot everything. A deer was a deer. I was the oldest son, and the family ate a lot of venison. My nickname back then was "the mad butcher". I have big racks in the house and the workshop and two piles of racks in the barn. I don't need to kill for antlers anymore, so I'll shoot two doe and wait for the big buck. I might shoot a cull buck if I see him. We do have a few.

Last year, when I found the big one, I put the grandson in the right stand and he shot him. Made me very happy. At this point in my life I just want to be in the woods looking for pigs and the evil coyotes. And I want good breeding stock in the woods, which is the reason I let a 10 point walk for 3 years. I wanted him to make it to 12 points, but he never did, so I finally took him.

I want to be like my Dad, who hunted till he was over 80. When he was 80, he shot a monster buck. Made some Louisiana bow hunting record book. He was so proud. And for the record, he'd never shoot a young buck.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6828932 07/20/17 06:16 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I only shoot spike or 2 year old Axis. I don't keep the antlers. I don't like shooting Axis does because they are usually caring a fawn. The hunters I have here pay me by the point. It doesn't matter to me if they have 2 points or 10. I am not in the WT business except for it to pay for me to feed my Ibex.

Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6828987 07/20/17 06:50 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I can see both sides. I grew up in a you shot the first 8 pt that stepped out and you didn't shoot a doe till you were out of buck tags kinda family. We wanted to shoot bigger bucks and educated ourselves and found out what we were doing was counter productive to it. The problem is when the guy who wants a BIG buck but tags out every opening weekend on a buck with milk on his lips, kinda like the guy complaining on the street corner about not having any money but wont get a job.

We stopped shooting young bucks started feeding, shooting does and what do you know the size of bucks we shot skyrocketed. We eat about 10-15 deer a year, we use all the meat we can flank and in between the rib bones included and enjoy it, I don't have to worry about respecting the animals.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: BayouGuy] #6829025 07/20/17 07:23 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q

Beef is slaughtered at that age because the ROI on continuing to feed it isn't there-they've reached their maximum $ potential. A 24-month old buck hasn't nearly reached his potential, either in body size or antler mass.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #6829161 07/20/17 09:12 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Beef is slaughtered at that age because the ROI on continuing to feed it isn't there-they've reached their maximum $ potential. A 24-month old buck hasn't nearly reached his potential, either in body size or antler mass.

Maybe they don't want to feed a buck for longer than 2 years???

Re: whay are you still shooting young bucks? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6829171 07/20/17 09:21 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
People kill 2 yr old bucks bc it's legal and it's their choice rather we like it or not.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide