Forums46
Topics538,006
Posts9,731,704
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: Simple Searcher] #6898208 09/25/17 03:47 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
I spend a while hitting pawn shops when a gun was stolen. I asked about the gun, I had pictures and told them I had reported it to the police. Everyone of them, without fail, said they were FFL licensed in order to buy and sell guns. Therefore they had to check to see if it was stolen, or it would show when they went to sell it.
I do not know if this is true for all pawn shops, or that all of them do things legally, but it was for the ones I stopped at.

Only morons knowingly pawn or sell stolen stuff to pawn shops because of the ID requirements for pawning and selling. Our family owned a small string of pawn shops for 25 years. Pawn shops are not what is represented of them in the past. They make a lot of money operating 100% legally. As FFLs, they are subject to FFL inspections. In Texas, pawned items (down to serial numbers and such) are going to be checked by law enforcement. Much of this is automated now, in fact (whereas back in the day, it was a manual process where pawn tickets were taken by the cops and manually entered into their system).

If the items were pawned, the pawnbroker legally cannot tell you anything about them. All loans are confidential per law. If you have a pawn ticket, that is another matter and you may redeem the item, but if it was stolen, chances are that you don't have the pawn ticket. If you suspect a given pawnshop has your item(s), you need to go to the police, but otherwise, you would have to wait for the loan to expire for for the purchased item(s) pass the police check and see the item(s) out on the shelf.

In short, it is a waste of time looking for items pawned to a pawn shop until after they are out for sale. Plus, if you tip off the pawnbroker about the item and said item comes in his/her store, he cannot legally make a loan on it or buy it given that he has been informed, by you, that it is stolen property. Knowingly making a loan on, or buying, stolen property is a criminal offense. So the slim chance that might have had for the item to end up in a pawn shop where it could be recovered through the police would be nullified.

In this day and age, it is something of a historical myth to expect items in a pawn shop to be stolen or to find stolen items. There is just too much paperwork to make the process viable to criminals. What few stolen items that do end up in pawn shops are usually pawned by people who first purchased them elsewhere (potentially unknowingly from the criminal) and thought they had legal ownership. In our stores, less than 1% of pawned items were identified as stolen, much less. More than likely, such items are going to be sold FTF or in other uncontrolled market situations such as flea markets and such, not that you are apt to see a high end rifle in a flea market, but you get the idea.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: MathMan] #6898220 09/25/17 03:58 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
MY VERY expensive Luxus Model 11 was located in a pawn shop in Houston. The guy that pawned it had no criminal record but a pawn history a mile long. Most of what he pawned was tools and lawn equipment. How is the pawn shop going to determine if those tools were stolen? How did my stolen firearm, which was reported and "in the system", end up in a pawn shop?

Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6898237 09/25/17 04:15 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
I spend a while hitting pawn shops when a gun was stolen. I asked about the gun, I had pictures and told them I had reported it to the police. Everyone of them, without fail, said they were FFL licensed in order to buy and sell guns. Therefore they had to check to see if it was stolen, or it would show when they went to sell it.
I do not know if this is true for all pawn shops, or that all of them do things legally, but it was for the ones I stopped at.

Only morons knowingly pawn or sell stolen stuff to pawn shops because of the ID requirements for pawning and selling. Our family owned a small string of pawn shops for 25 years. Pawn shops are not what is represented of them in the past. They make a lot of money operating 100% legally. As FFLs, they are subject to FFL inspections. In Texas, pawned items (down to serial numbers and such) are going to be checked by law enforcement. Much of this is automated now, in fact (whereas back in the day, it was a manual process where pawn tickets were taken by the cops and manually entered into their system).

If the items were pawned, the pawnbroker legally cannot tell you anything about them. All loans are confidential per law. If you have a pawn ticket, that is another matter and you may redeem the item, but if it was stolen, chances are that you don't have the pawn ticket. If you suspect a given pawnshop has your item(s), you need to go to the police, but otherwise, you would have to wait for the loan to expire for for the purchased item(s) pass the police check and see the item(s) out on the shelf.

In short, it is a waste of time looking for items pawned to a pawn shop until after they are out for sale. Plus, if you tip off the pawnbroker about the item and said item comes in his/her store, he cannot legally make a loan on it or buy it given that he has been informed, by you, that it is stolen property. Knowingly making a loan on, or buying, stolen property is a criminal offense. So the slim chance that might have had for the item to end up in a pawn shop where it could be recovered through the police would be nullified.

In this day and age, it is something of a historical myth to expect items in a pawn shop to be stolen or to find stolen items. There is just too much paperwork to make the process viable to criminals. What few stolen items that do end up in pawn shops are usually pawned by people who first purchased them elsewhere (potentially unknowingly from the criminal) and thought they had legal ownership. In our stores, less than 1% of pawned items were identified as stolen, much less. More than likely, such items are going to be sold FTF or in other uncontrolled market situations such as flea markets and such, not that you are apt to see a high end rifle in a flea market, but you get the idea.

I understand the point you're trying to make, but the fact is tons of morons do sell stolen property to pawn shops every single day. We still routinely find stolen property of all kinds in pawn shops. Criminals in general are basically a stupid group and when you throw dopers in the mix the sky's the limit. It's never a waste of time to search pawn shops.
I'm not discounting the experience in your shops, but I can just about guarantee there was a lot of stolen property that just wasn't located. Also, in my experience privately owned shops tend to be more discriminating about what they take in than the corporate stores.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: MathMan] #6898496 09/25/17 08:18 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
They tracked a guy that robbed my sister's house a few years ago because he pawned a couple of the items. An undercover cop was watching his house when the guy came home. A few minutes later, the guy comes out, crosses the street, and goes behind a house out of view. 30 seconds later he comes back in to view carrying a weed-eater he just stole out of a garage. UC pulls up and arrests him. They found the rest of my sister's missing items in his house.

My sister actually did most of the detective work because she bothered to case local pawn shops until she found a couple of items she knew were hers, and the detectives then got the guy's name from the shops.

Crooks can be pretty stupid. Good luck!

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: fouzman] #6898574 09/25/17 09:34 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: fouzman
MY VERY expensive Luxus Model 11 was located in a pawn shop in Houston. The guy that pawned it had no criminal record but a pawn history a mile long. Most of what he pawned was tools and lawn equipment. How is the pawn shop going to determine if those tools were stolen? How did my stolen firearm, which was reported and "in the system", end up in a pawn shop?

How were these things "found" in a pawn shop?

Yep, people do pawn stolen stuff even though they are not criminals. More often than not, somebody made them a "deal" on the item. I am sure the guy who pawned the Lexus didn't have a legal title to car as that would have been caught at the DMV/tax office.

The pawn shop does not determine if items are stolen or not. They take them in pawn and then get informed by law enforcement if something they have taken in has been reported stolen.

However, if you take a picture around to pawn shops and show the pawn brokers you highly unique custom gun and tell them it is stolen, they are not apt to take that gun in pawn because they would know it was a stolen gun.

Originally Posted By: Grizz
I understand the point you're trying to make, but the fact is tons of morons do sell stolen property to pawn shops every single day. We still routinely find stolen property of all kinds in pawn shops. Criminals in general are basically a stupid group and when you throw dopers in the mix the sky's the limit. It's never a waste of time to search pawn shops.

Some criminals are stupid. Many are not. As for "searching" pawnshops, sure you can go around looking in pawn shops and seeing what is out for sale and even asking if the pawnbroker has anything for sale that isn't out on display, but it would not be productive to tell him of your stolen highly unique custom gun.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 09/25/17 09:48 PM.

Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6898599 09/25/17 09:58 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

Yep, people do pawn stolen stuff even though they are not criminals. More often than not, somebody made them a "deal" on the item. I am sure the guy who pawned the Lexus didn't have a legal title to car as that would have been caught at the DMV/tax office.

The pawn shop does not determine if items are stolen or not. They take them in pawn and then get informed by law enforcement if something they have taken in has been reported stolen.

However, if you take a picture around to pawn shops and show the pawn brokers you highly unique custom gun and tell them it is stolen, they are not apt to take that gun in pawn because they would know it was a stolen gun.

Most criminals are stupid. Some are not. As for "searching" pawnshops, sure you can go around looking in pawn shops and seeing what is out for sale and even asking if the pawnbroker has anything for sale that isn't out on display, but it would not be productive to tell him of your stolen highly unique custom gun.

Fixed it for you. Prisons are overcrowded for a reason. Lol.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6898608 09/25/17 10:06 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q

Some criminals are stupid. Many are not. As for "searching" pawnshops, sure you can go around looking in pawn shops and seeing what is out for sale and even asking if the pawnbroker has anything for sale that isn't out on display, but it would not be productive to tell him of your stolen highly unique custom gun.

Not a car.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: MathMan] #6898630 09/25/17 10:27 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Never heard of it. So how was it "found"? You neglected that part.

Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6898636 09/25/17 10:32 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

That would not be because of crazy laws and diligent law enforcement would at all, huh?

Only the dumb and careless are in prisons and there are a lot, but there is a lot of unsolved crime as well. The OP is a classic example.

Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6898795 09/26/17 12:42 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

That would not be because of crazy laws and diligent law enforcement would at all, huh?

Only the dumb and careless are in prisons and there are a lot, but there is a lot of unsolved crime as well. The OP is a classic example.

No it would not. Drugs and alcohol are the driving force as one of our members who is actually in law enforcement pointed out to you.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6899558 09/26/17 04:37 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Never heard of it. So how was it "found"? You neglected that part.

I made a post on here about the five rifles I had stolen in 2014. Descriptions, serial numbers, etc. A couple years later, a guy contacted me on here and said he had seen one of the rifles on my list at a Cash America Pawn in N Houston. I called HPD and asked what to do and they told me to go to the pawn shop, but don't go in. Call HPD non-emergency number when I got to the pawn shop and they would send an officer out to handle it. They did, he and I went in, I identified my rifle and he put a tag on it prohibiting the pawn shop from moving the gun. The detective on my case went to the pawn shop the next day and retrieved my stolen weapon.

Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: fouzman] #6899583 09/26/17 04:53 PM
O
Ox190 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Hey Fouz, I remember that well, did they bust the guys and recover any of the other guns?

"There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre." Louis L'Amour
Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: MathMan] #6899588 09/26/17 04:55 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
No sir.

Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: MathMan] #6901693 09/28/17 03:16 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
This should make everyone think twice when stopping. I bury my stuff in the bed when going to a place like Buccees and leave my boy in the truck with windows down when I need to go in. I feel safer with them in the back of the bed covered than inside the truck. Thinking about getting a bed cover.

Talking to a gunsmith last year that was in Houston shooting matches and they were broken into. HPD called years later and had some of their guns. You never know.

Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: MathMan] #7036469 01/13/18 04:42 AM
M
MathMan Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M
Just bringing this back up to spread the word again. Hoping with all the new members maybe it can be found.

Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: MathMan] #7036608 01/13/18 02:22 PM
B
Buck25-06 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Hope you find it !

I know allot about everything-Everything about nothing!!!!
Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: MathMan] #7220072 07/10/18 01:32 AM
M
MathMan Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M
Btt

Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: MathMan] #7224836 07/15/18 03:56 AM
N
nocknload Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
On the look out here in DFW

Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: MathMan] #7224924 07/15/18 01:38 PM
K
kyle1974 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
They should outlaw pawn shops, they're nothing but a haven for stolen items, or a store that takes advantage of people in dire financial straights, often strung out on drugs.

"hey that's a really nice diamond ring... 1 carat, 14 K gold... yeah, we'll give you $35 for it"

Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: kyle1974] #7225502 07/16/18 02:48 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: kyle1974
They should outlaw pawn shops, they're nothing but a haven for stolen items, or a store that takes advantage of people in dire financial straights, often strung out on drugs.

"hey that's a really nice diamond ring... 1 carat, 14 K gold... yeah, we'll give you $35 for it"

There is a whole lot of ignorance in your statement. Very little in pawn shops is stolen. It is all checked through the police.

They do not take advantage of anybody as you claim. NOBODY has to accept what they offer and the people enter pawn shops on a completely voluntary basis. They are in the business of making what are considered to be high risk loans, plain and simple. As for the 1 carat 14k diamond ring and $35, it would have to be an awful piece of crap to offer that little on a pawn or a purchase.

Are the people in dire straits? Some are. Many are not. Of those that are, they are often the ones that have already destroyed their ability to get credit from banks or other lending institutions, have either worn out their welcome in borrowing from friends and family or have no friends and family, or simply otherwise have nowhere else to turn. If the pawn shops were not there, then what would the people do? You aren't going to help them.

A lot of people simply have a short term financial issue and need a little help carrying over until their next paycheck.

As for those dire straits people, I can tell you this. I watched a lot of people pawn their belongings and walk across the street to buy beer and cigarettes, or go into a bar.

Where pawn shops make a significant portion of their money is in the interest generated from loans, interest that is set by the state. Pawn shops want repeat business. They are not there to snatch up everybody's belongings.

However, if you think they should be outlawed, then please propose a method on how you would help out those people that you are talking about that would be wholly righteous in your view.

Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7225533 07/16/18 03:51 AM
K
kyle1974 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K

There is a whole lot of ignorance in your statement. Very little in pawn shops is stolen. It is all checked through the police.

They do not take advantage of anybody as you claim. NOBODY has to accept what they offer and the people enter pawn shops on a completely voluntary basis. They are in the business of making what are considered to be high risk loans, plain and simple. As for the 1 carat 14k diamond ring and $35, it would have to be an awful piece of crap to offer that little on a pawn or a purchase.

Are the people in dire straits? Some are. Many are not. Of those that are, they are often the ones that have already destroyed their ability to get credit from banks or other lending institutions, have either worn out their welcome in borrowing from friends and family or have no friends and family, or simply otherwise have nowhere else to turn. If the pawn shops were not there, then what would the people do? You aren't going to help them.

A lot of people simply have a short term financial issue and need a little help carrying over until their next paycheck.

As for those dire straits people, I can tell you this. I watched a lot of people pawn their belongings and walk across the street to buy beer and cigarettes, or go into a bar.

Where pawn shops make a significant portion of their money is in the interest generated from loans, interest that is set by the state. Pawn shops want repeat business. They are not there to snatch up everybody's belongings.

However, if you think they should be outlawed, then please propose a method on how you would help out those people that you are talking about that would be wholly righteous in your view.

"very little in pawn shops is stolen"..

LMFAO!!! I'm sure the police pour over every single dewalt angle grinder that comes through the front door in an effort to insure it wasn't reported stolen rolleyes

the only defense to that argument is most items can't be proven to be stolen because most items don't have a serial number. For items that do (outside of firearms), do you have a list of serial numbers for computers, TVs, vacuum cleaners, and angle grinders? I don't

Last edited by kyle1974; 07/16/18 04:06 AM.
Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: MathMan] #7225599 07/16/18 10:03 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I buy from a local Pawn Shop. They sell new and used guns, and will order anything I want at good prices. Good people, long term business owners in the community. I also bought some tools from them at a good price. There are a lot of places that stolen goods can be sold where you aren't on camera and have to show ID. Calling for the closing of all pawn shops isn't only an unfair characterization of a group, it's not helpful to the OP. Do you also have a plan in mind for stopping the sale of stolen property on Craigs List, EBAY and Flea Markets?

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7225934 07/16/18 04:54 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

I had five rifles stolen several years ago. The only one I have recovered thus far was located in a CashAmerica Pawn in NW Houston. For every honest pawnshop operator, there are many more who know how to skirt the rules. And the police didn't find my rifle but, once I knew where it was, they came and took it away. And it was registered as stolen. Serial # and everything but, there it was, on their shelf. The detective on my case said the guy who pawned my rifle had a long list of pawns of tools and lawn equipment but no arrests and no convictions. Yeah, I'm sure that pawn shop has checked all those tools and pieces of lawn equipment, too. bang

Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: MathMan] #7226011 07/16/18 05:52 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Blame the police if your rifle wasn't found. The pawnbroker at Cash America wasn't charged with receiving and hiding stolen merchandise, right? Had the rifle been there without proper documentation provided to the cops, then they would have been in violation of the law. The police simply collected the rifle because they didn't do their job in the first place.

Re: Stolen Long Range Custom Rifle!!!! $1000 Reward! [Re: MathMan] #7226028 07/16/18 06:02 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Nope, but the manager who took the gun in was fired.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide