Forum Stats
61840 Members
46 Forums
427982 Topics
5903253 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6804400 - 06/26/17 08:29 AM Let's give open carry a try.
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Howard County
Plan to carry all week openly, haven't done it before but with this heat there's not many options so I'm giving it a try. To be honest I'm not real comfortable with this. 239 Sig and a Ross thumb break half holster on the belt. We'll see if I make it the whole week.

#6804480 - 06/26/17 09:37 AM Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: HWY_MAN]
Gravytrain Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Rowlett, Tx
I wouldn't feel comfortable either, I like concealed much more.

#6805555 - 06/27/17 12:38 AM Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: HWY_MAN]
SapperTitan Online   content
Taking Requests

Loc: Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
I just don't like the idea of drawing attention to myself rather positive or negative. I don't see a problem with open carry though just not my thing. Hope it works out for ya.

https://www.facebook.com/scottsrusticcreations/

#6805579 - 06/27/17 05:42 AM Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: HWY_MAN]
Mike Mathena Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Brazoria county
I use a "sticky holster", i really like, i have a kel-tek pf9 that i carry in it. It fits perfectly in the waistband and stays put. Works fine with shorts and a t-shirt

#6805660 - 06/27/17 07:39 AM Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: Gravytrain]
SnakeWrangler Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Fairfield, TX
Originally Posted By: Gravytrain
I wouldn't feel comfortable either, I like concealed much more.

"Death is permanent...everything else is temporary!"

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"

#6805794 - 06/27/17 09:28 AM Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: HWY_MAN]
rexmitchell Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Plan to carry all week openly, haven't done it before but with this heat there's not many options so I'm giving it a try. To be honest I'm not real comfortable with this. 239 Sig and a Ross thumb break half holster on the belt. We'll see if I make it the whole week.

I think you are going to find that no one really pays attention to you and that it isn't a big deal.

#6806313 - 06/27/17 05:07 PM Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: rexmitchell]
Superduty Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Arlington, Texas
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

I think you are going to find that no one really pays attention to you and that it isn't a big deal.

This.

I open carry on occasion. No big deal.

#6806422 - 06/27/17 07:20 PM Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: rexmitchell]
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Howard County
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

Pretty much the way it's been so far, one person has approached me so far and all he did was give me his business card. Central Texas Armory.

#6807385 - 06/28/17 07:40 PM Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: HWY_MAN]
Slow Drifter Offline

Loc: Central Texas
There's a movement I partake in called "Every 2nd Matters." It's loosely organized and there's no membership. All we do is make a point to open carry, if possible, the 2nd of every month. The idea is just to get the general public used to seeing it. But in all honesty, I've been doing this for quite a while and no one's ever seemed to notice.

A. Einstein

#6808171 - 06/29/17 03:38 PM Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: HWY_MAN]
rexmitchell Online   content
Veteran Tracker

I've open carried a handful of times with the following experiences....One person thought I was a cop, the car wash manager told me she was happy having people and felt less likely to be robbed that way, and I saw a 12-14 year old girl take a picture of me. Other than that, I don't think anyone even noticed what was going on.

#6808662 - 06/30/17 08:22 AM Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: HWY_MAN]
Pappybear Online   content
Outdoorsman

Loc: Argyle /N.Central Pennsylvania...
First off I want to make it clear that I am not opposed to open carry. But, I think many who do shouldn't because it's been my observation that there are a lot more people aware of the presence firearm than the person actually carrying it. I've seen plenty of people in public places focus on a firearm being carried openly then roll there eyes and comment to someone near by.
If you choose to open carry you would do yourself a favor by taking a handgun retention class to see how say it is to disarm someone with a holstered firearm. Awareness of your surroundings, proximity to others, and a proper holster are key. One's personal ability to protect the firearm once touched by another person is a whole other matter. I've seen too many people who open carry that fail on all of the fist three criteria. Your physical ability to protect the firearm doesn't come from carrying it.
It's a well known fact that Perps practice disarming LEO's routinely in prisons through the country.

Edited by Pappybear (06/30/17 08:25 AM)

#6811103 - 07/03/17 12:55 PM Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: SapperTitan]
FiremanJG Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
I just don't like the idea of drawing attention to myself rather positive or negative. I don't see a problem with open carry though just not my thing. Hope it works out for ya.

Same here.

I'm not against it, I just don't do it in public. But during my two days off duty, and I'm on my land, I open carry every day. I just had a customer leave. This morning, I said "please don't think I'm scared for you being here, thus the pistol, I wear this every single day, I'm 30 minutes from law enforcement". He said, it makes total sense and I don't blame you a bit.

Thus far, I have yet to see anyone openly carrying in Dallas, Collin, or Fannin counties.

800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#6811842 - 07/04/17 09:03 AM Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: HWY_MAN]
MikeC Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Grayson County
I've seen quite a few here in Grayson county. Mostly well dressed older gentlemen.

In every old body lives a young person wondering what the hell happened!

#6814309 - 07/06/17 04:15 PM Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: HWY_MAN]
Earl Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Plano, TX
As others noted I'll support someones right to do it, but I won't personally open carry. I acknowledge it would be easier and if I did it I'd probably carry more than I do as clothing, weapon, and holster style all become less of an issue than for the concealed carry. But I am not trained to retain a weapon when someone is trying to take it - and I just don't want people to know I'm carrying until/unless they need to know for a variety of reasons. You can't take what you don't know is there, you can't remove a threat that you don't know is there, and you can't be uncomfortable about something that you don't know is there. I've seen a couple of open carry people in Plano and didn't notice it causing any unwanted attention or issues.

Another reason I won't open carry - if a business has 30.06 signs that are posted correctly and are the proper language and size - I abide by them. If it isn't a proper 30.06 I don't oblige the thing as it isn't worth the material it's written on. I can do that with concealed carry. But if you open carry even in a place that has an improper 30.07 sign, you will get hassled where I wouldn't.

Edited by Earl (07/06/17 04:19 PM)

#6820147 - 07/11/17 10:32 PM Re: Let's give open carry a try. [Re: HWY_MAN]
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: North Texas.
Just not my thing, nothing against folks that legally do.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide