Forums46
Topics537,815
Posts9,729,459
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Can Trophy Hunting Save Africa's Endangered Species? [Re: Dave Davidson] #6822468 07/14/17 02:58 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
The original question was whether trophy hunting could save Africas endangered species. The point is that until the HF game ranches started in the 50's, all of African big game was endangered. By endangered, I mean dang near wiped out. Without a financial incentive, hunting, it would have never happened. At this time, leapords are off limits. That's management just like we have here. The 3 animals that I shot cost $5,965.00. Taxidermy and shipping will up the ante. Until game ranching and the resulting hunting started, just about all of South Africas wildlife was pretty well endangered. BTW, that $$$ is not chump change to me and, unless I win the lottery, will be a once in a lifetime experience.

I think the answer to the original question is yes.

Never been ta Africa.. Have watched several of National Geographic Shows... confused2 What are You considering African Big Game ? Do no what endangered means, so figure every one else realized ya meant wiped out...
Like said: i did get a D- in grammer & the next sentance,
Quote:
Without a financial incentive, hunting, it would have never happened.

Has got me confused2 ...
Agree $5,965.00 for 3 animals is no chump change... Why i say was Blessed when a WMA opened up just down the road ... $ 200.00-$250.00 year round lease 1 buck & 24-7-365 hog hunt was Big Bucks...
Didnt realize the HF Game Ranches started back in the 50's...
scratch The question
Quote:
Can Trophy Hunting Save Africa's Endangered Species ?

Every ones definission of Trophy Hunting is Different... flag

Last edited by colt.45; 07/14/17 03:01 PM.

i'm postaddic
Re: Can Trophy Hunting Save Africa's Endangered Species? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6822736 07/14/17 07:27 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
HF hunting would not be required to conserve species if the governments of the respective countries had their acts together. In Africa, history has shown that in many cases that's not going to happen. Thus, the HFs are the only alternative - such as in SA. In countries like Kenya where nothing has been done it's a wreck.

In America where there was/is a stable government, more resources, and committed sportsmen's groups - HFs aren't and never have been a significant part of the conservation equation. Mountain sheep, pronghorn, whitetail deer, elk, have all been brought back from the brink in the wild. Here, HF places with deer and elk are about $$, raising big animals, and convenience. Conservation has nothing to do with it and never has.
There will never in our lifetime be stable governments or a tax base to sustain any in Africa. And contrary to stating that only here in the US are Hf's used to generate money it is also true in Africa. I doubt very seriously if "conservation" of a species is the main concern of erecting a HF in Africa.

Re: Can Trophy Hunting Save Africa's Endangered Species? [Re: TrophyTheFilm] #6823238 07/15/17 11:09 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Colt, agree about everyones definition of a trophy. My 18 year old Grandson took an old 8 point on my place last year. It scored about 135 and, according to the local taxidermist, that's about as good an 8 point as you will ever see in Montague County. He is still excited and I had it mounted. However, his best trophy was his first deer at 6 YOA. It was a small forked horn and he did a serious dance around the pasture. He grabbed my cell phone and called everybody he knew.

Don, agree that conservation isn't the main concern. However, until the fencing and resulting breeding happened, there were dang near no game animals left in S. Africa. No idea about other parts of Africa but hungry people are going to get all the protein they can find. Also agree about lack stable governments. Watching TV at the Capetown hotel, it appears to me that corruption is pretty well universal.

Without financial incentives and regulated seasons, there would be a lot less deer and other game in Texas.

Never been tempted to hunt high fences in Texas but I also know that I will never kill a monster whitetail. I hunt my own small property, see monsters on the game cams at night, but never in the daytime.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 07/15/17 11:14 AM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Can Trophy Hunting Save Africa's Endangered Species? [Re: Dave Davidson] #6823336 07/15/17 02:39 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Colt, agree about everyones definition of a trophy. My 18 year old Grandson took an old 8 point on my place last year. It scored about 135 and, according to the local taxidermist, that's about as good an 8 point as you will ever see in Montague County. He is still excited and I had it mounted. However, his best trophy was his first deer at 6 YOA. It was a small forked horn and he did a serious dance around the pasture. He grabbed my cell phone and called everybody he knew.

Try again, internet problems...
cheers congrates ta your grandson...
Never been ta Africa, & hunting in texas way different than in Minnesota...
As pappy says: the more money ya have, the more Freedom ya have ... flag

Last edited by colt.45; 07/15/17 02:40 PM.

i'm postaddic
Re: Can Trophy Hunting Save Africa's Endangered Species? [Re: 1860.colt] #6823419 07/15/17 05:12 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: colt.45

Money won't buy you happiness but it will give you choices! flag

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 07/15/17 05:13 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Can Trophy Hunting Save Africa's Endangered Species? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6823545 07/15/17 08:44 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Originally Posted By: colt.45

Money won't buy you happiness but it will give you choices! flag

confused2 be happy ta take your salary... bang i'd have more choices... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Can Trophy Hunting Save Africa's Endangered Species? [Re: TrophyTheFilm] #6823590 07/15/17 09:38 PM
R
RustyMetal Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted By: TrophyTheFilm
...(snip)... Do breeding, farming, and hunting offer some of the few remaining options to conserve these species before it's too late?

Join this critical discussion on this thread and on social media found here: http://bit.ly/TrophyTheFilm
Full film in theaters this September.

You obviously want general opinion to justify what you want....

Sorry, but my opinion is - Hell no!
A case could be made for Calculated Culling, but generally speaking, Big Game Trophy Hunting is part of the problem (in Africa).

Re: Can Trophy Hunting Save Africa's Endangered Species? [Re: TrophyTheFilm] #6823803 07/16/17 01:39 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Rusty, what would you recommend?

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Can Trophy Hunting Save Africa's Endangered Species? [Re: don k] #6823820 07/16/17 01:53 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: don k
HF hunting would not be required to conserve species if the governments of the respective countries had their acts together. In Africa, history has shown that in many cases that's not going to happen. Thus, the HFs are the only alternative - such as in SA. In countries like Kenya where nothing has been done it's a wreck.

In America where there was/is a stable government, more resources, and committed sportsmen's groups - HFs aren't and never have been a significant part of the conservation equation. Mountain sheep, pronghorn, whitetail deer, elk, have all been brought back from the brink in the wild. Here, HF places with deer and elk are about $$, raising big animals, and convenience. Conservation has nothing to do with it and never has.
There will never in our lifetime be stable governments or a tax base to sustain any in Africa. And contrary to stating that only here in the US are Hf's used to generate money it is also true in Africa. I doubt very seriously if "conservation" of a species is the main concern of erecting a HF in Africa.

Where did I say that only here are they about money? I didn't. They are always about money. It's just that in many places over there it's the only reason any animals are conserved to hunt. Conservation will always be a byproduct of money over there. Heck, everything is because the whole place is so poor.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Can Trophy Hunting Save Africa's Endangered Species? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6824118 07/16/17 03:38 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: don k

Where did I say that only here are they about money? I didn't. They are always about money. It's just that in many places over there it's the only reason any animals are conserved to hunt. Conservation will always be a byproduct of money over there. Heck, everything is because the whole place is so poor.
Actually just about all hunting is about money. The only exceptions would be the landowners that only themselves hunt their own property. HF-LF leasing or whenever monies are exchanged it is about money. And yes conservation of certain species is a byproduct of it.

Re: Can Trophy Hunting Save Africa's Endangered Species? [Re: TrophyTheFilm] #6824572 07/17/17 01:23 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
That's true here in Texas. Not so much out west where 90+ % of the land is public.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Can Trophy Hunting Save Africa's Endangered Species? [Re: RustyMetal] #6824619 07/17/17 02:08 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: RustyMetal
...(snip)... Do breeding, farming, and hunting offer some of the few remaining options to conserve these species before it's too late?

Join this critical discussion on this thread and on social media found here: http://bit.ly/TrophyTheFilm

A case could be made for Calculated Culling, but generally speaking, Big Game Trophy Hunting is part of the problem (in Africa).

Im very curious as to why you think trophy hunting is the problem?

Until an animal has value above agriculture it won't last in a third world land scape land scape.

If trophy hunting was the problem then wildlife population would be striving in non trophy hunting countries or regions.

A hunter kills one lion, a villager poisons the whole pride.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Can Trophy Hunting Save Africa's Endangered Species? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6824621 07/17/17 02:14 AM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
That's true here in Texas. Not so much out west where 90+ % of the land is public.
See what those states are charging for non resident licenses. And you think it is not about money?

Re: Can Trophy Hunting Save Africa's Endangered Species? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6824622 07/17/17 02:15 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

One could argue against by simply starting that there is only one place in the US that has " true" subsistence hunting.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Can Trophy Hunting Save Africa's Endangered Species? [Re: RustyMetal] #6824706 07/17/17 04:33 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B

Rusty can you explain how the hell is big game hunting part of the problem in Africa. It's the only reason that most areas of Africa have any animals left. So that isn't a problem its a solution.

Re: Can Trophy Hunting Save Africa's Endangered Species? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6824707 07/17/17 04:34 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

One could argue against by simply starting that there is only one place in the US that has " true" subsistence hunting.

bs

Re: Can Trophy Hunting Save Africa's Endangered Species? [Re: BOONER] #6824708 07/17/17 04:35 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: BOONER

bs

Oh you meant legally grin

Re: Can Trophy Hunting Save Africa's Endangered Species? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6824787 07/17/17 12:32 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

I didn't see anyone talking about subsistence hunting. I'm not going to get in another weird, useless off-topic fuss.

Re: Can Trophy Hunting Save Africa's Endangered Species? [Re: BOONER] #6824788 07/17/17 12:34 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: BOONER

Rusty can you explain how the hell is big game hunting part of the problem in Africa. It's the only reason that most areas of Africa have any animals left. So that isn't a problem its a solution.

+1. That sounds like a no-thought PETA response.

Re: Can Trophy Hunting Save Africa's Endangered Species? [Re: TrophyTheFilm] #6824846 07/17/17 01:38 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I didn't see anyone talking about subsistence hunting. I'm not going to get in another weird, useless off-topic fuss.

How is it weird to point out Alaska resident subsistence hunting? Its relevant to the conversation since it is the only one place in the US where hunting isn't a luxury or is an actual cost effective method to agriculture. Every where else you are paying premium and it's a luxury to "hunt".

Out side of Sheep, Moose and bison success rates for elk and deer are by far majority bought and paid for. Especially since those same western states you agrue about have Gov/auction tags that go to highest bidder and much higher hunting NR license costs then eastern states. Let's not forget the landowner voucher market in addition.

Re: Can Trophy Hunting Save Africa's Endangered Species? [Re: TrophyTheFilm] #6824859 07/17/17 01:48 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Not everyone thinks of success rates as the be-all-end-all. Hundreds of thousands hunt on OTC/general tags every year. Success rates below 20%. But they are hunting. It's just not trophy hunting in the sense you are discussing. Same with WT deer. Lots of folks still hunt for meat, fellowship, family time. Even in TX. I know a lot of folks who hunt like crazy and don't pay a lease fee.

Trophy hunting doesn't fund any of that. Hunters' $$$ through Pittman/Robertson, license/tag fees, etc., etc., do. Texas deer herd didn't grow to 5 million deer because of trophy hunting. Nor did elk, mule deer, pronghorn herds. They did so because American hunters as a whole committed themselves to bringing them back.

In Africa (where the native populations of people don't have the luxury of being sport hunters), outside $$$ through trophy hunting are the animals' only chance.

Re: Can Trophy Hunting Save Africa's Endangered Species? [Re: TrophyTheFilm] #6824927 07/17/17 02:50 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Out west OTC tags are a NR revenue source.

Success rates dictate cost. Why else would people pay a premium in PP and application costs to hunt certain units? I would be shocked if you could find a resident that hunted OTC but had no preference points...

We all hunt for lots of reasons, cheaper food source is not one of them. It's a luxury

We wouldn't have 5 million deer in Texas if we're meat hunting. Just look at tag number allocation times the number of hunters hunting licenses. It obvious people are not just shooting brown! So ya trophy hunting brought about an increase in deer numbers. America brought back its native wildlife by not depending on it, and being able to off set its damages also

Concur Africa is done unless private landowner conserve habitat and game. It's native residents don't have the wealth to hunt for luxury or offset agriculture damages. On top of that they are experiencing the highest percentage of habitat loss in the world, due to the highest population growth percentage, hindsight we don't have the Game numbers to support the US population if we didn't have ag and beef either,

Re: Can Trophy Hunting Save Africa's Endangered Species? [Re: TrophyTheFilm] #6831449 07/23/17 02:00 PM
L
LBG Safaris Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L

Kind Regards
Bossie, DJ Mostert
Limpopo Big Game Safaris
www.lbgsafaris.com
lbgsafaris@yahoo.com
hunt@lbgsafaris.com
[Linked Image]