Forums46
Topics537,807
Posts9,729,349
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Would you hesitate to take a [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6794775 06/16/17 03:22 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Tons of guys flog you every day, because you deserve it. You're one of the few that flog me. I'm not a king of anything but my home address. I've got PMs titled NP, and people telling me, in person, you don't help anyone, and only muddy the waters. But you carry on, digging your hole even deeper. You are the type of member that keep very knowledgeable hunters and shooters away from this forum.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Would you hesitate to take a [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6794780 06/16/17 03:30 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
K/E ain't the end all-be all. Except for readers, not hunters. I like a little bigger bullet for elk. Again, radical I know. So sue me.

What's comical is I've kill multiple species with all the calibers you stated with multiple different bullets and you are making reader vs hunter comments...what's you on game performance experience with a 6.5 CM? How can you actually compare them to something you haven't killed any thing with.

Read up some more.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Would you hesitate to take a [Re: J.G.] #6794782 06/16/17 03:33 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Tons of guys flog you every day, because you deserve it. You're one of the few that flog me. I'm not a king of anything but my home address. I've got PMs titled NP, and people telling me, in person, you don't help anyone, and only muddy the waters. But you carry on, digging your hole even deeper. You are the type of member that keep very knowledgeable hunters and shooters away from this forum.

You post was straight up trolling. Just like this one. I'll call my "flogs" and raise you yours. You don't think I get PMs too? Newsflash: not everyone is a fan.

Newsflash II: this forum ain't about me. Or you.

But you're the greatest JG. Your vast elk hunting experience must be respected and bowed to. If you don't believe it, just ask you. rolleyes

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Would you hesitate to take a [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6794787 06/16/17 03:39 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
K/E ain't the end all-be all. Except for readers, not hunters. I like a little bigger bullet for elk. Again, radical I know. So sue me.

What's comical is I've kill multiple species with all the calibers you stated with multiple different bullets and you are making reader vs hunter comments...what's you on game performance experience with a 6.5 CM? How can you actually compare them to something you haven't killed any thing with.

Read up some more.

I don't have a need to use a 6.5 for elk. My .300s and .338 work just fine for me, thanks. You use what you want.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Would you hesitate to take a [Re: Deerhunter61] #6794788 06/16/17 03:40 AM
A
aggiehunter03 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
What is the variable in this thread (and many others) that caused it to turn to flush

It's not FJG.

Re: Would you hesitate to take a [Re: aggiehunter03] #6794791 06/16/17 03:44 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: aggiehunter03
What is the variable in this thread (and many others) that caused it to turn to flush

It's not FJG.

Actually, it is. He's the troll here. But, carry on. Keep kissing his boots. He likes that - and you'll never get ordered to shut up and move on....

Re: Would you hesitate to take a [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6794797 06/16/17 03:57 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I didn't scratch it off ever. I said use it if you want. Can you not read??

All I've said is bigger if he/anyone can handle it is better. Radical, I know.

Your "little man syndrome" dig is not appreciated. I had a long, specific post with some personal stuff typed. But, I'll cede the low ground to you.

I will say this much: the biggest animal I ever took was with a bow. And it didn't take me 10+ tries to do it.

At least you are arguing and not issuing orders.

Not a dig it was an actual poll with actual results. Technically it's scientific.

You got your limited once in a lifetime draw moose with one arrow, congratulations it took me 3 arrows, 7 hunts for my first Archery Elk, which to me is the beauty. I wouldn't have much respect for them if my first two arrows killed. I'd would have two bulls from the 330-350 range from sub prime basically OTC units. Actually if you figure in your moose hunt is traditionally 100% success and CO is 10% I actually beat the odds. You just did what everyone else did. grin Although I'd say that was an very very nice bull

ironically by time I was 16 I had already packed out 8 elk and had killed three with a rifle. I enjoy bugling elk. Thus why I hunted two states for them and Mulie deer last year.

What do you want to talk about next 14'k peaks, closed weekend hunting for Mtn Goats and sheep? Real man sheep hunts, bear hunting floating vs hiking, different wilderness areas, hunt success rates?

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Would you hesitate to take a [Re: Deerhunter61] #6794798 06/16/17 04:01 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I'll cede you being The Man too. Feel better?

Never claimed I was. I just hunt when I can and give an opinion sometimes when folks ask for them in an area I may have a little experience in. That's all. You don't know my experience. I don't have a need to preach it.

But, as with JG, I don't need your lectures or condescension either.

Re: Would you hesitate to take a [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6794799 06/16/17 04:08 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I'll cede you being The Man too.

Never claimed I was. I just hunt when I can and give an opinion sometimes when folks ask for them in an area I may have a little experience in. That's all.

thank you sir, I'm screen shoting this for future reference....that way if you want to agrue and chastise again I can quickly remind you of your faults

Re: Would you hesitate to take a [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6794800 06/16/17 04:09 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Never claimed I was. I just hunt when I can and give an opinion sometimes when folks ask for them in an area I may have a little experience in. That's all.

thank you sir, I'm screen shoting this for future reference....that way if you want to agrue and chastise again I can quickly remind you of your faults

It's what insecure people live for. To brag about themselves and remind others of their faults. smile

Re: Would you hesitate to take a [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6794809 06/16/17 04:44 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

It's what insecure people live for. To remind others of their faults. smile

It's not your fault god made you short and me tall'er. So technically it's not reminding you of your faults

Nor is it me being insecure about my higher level of perception due to my high'er height up

Thin horn season is about to start, instead of poking everyone on THF you should work out more. You sure don't want to whiff after reminding me of my whiff. cheers

Re: Would you hesitate to take a [Re: TexFlip] #6794897 06/16/17 12:39 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: TexFlip
I'll be taking my 6.5 on my next elk hunt. Wouldn't think twice about it.

Me too, 140gr Accubond/Partition, etc. 2700fps. No problem as long as you can get within a reasonable range and be ready for a quick follow up shot.

Don't start high fiving and acting a fool till you are sure he/her is down.

Guide I went Mule Deer Hunting with in Wyoming used his 25-06 on big Elk. He carried a .338 WinMag when guiding.

Last edited by Buzzsaw; 06/16/17 12:40 PM.
Re: Would you hesitate to take a [Re: Buzzsaw] #6794951 06/16/17 01:19 PM
B
bphillips Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

Me too, 140gr Accubond/Partition, etc. 2700fps. No problem as long as you can get within a reasonable range and be ready for a quick follow up shot.

Guide I went Mule Deer Hunting with in Wyoming used his 25-06 on big Elk. He carried a .338 WinMag when guiding.

Something I find odd is some of these mule deer outfitters requiring large calibers. They're not that tough

[Linked Image]
Re: Would you hesitate to take a [Re: Deerhunter61] #6795006 06/16/17 02:00 PM
R
rex47 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
I am taking 308 with a 270 backup, never know when and old guy will fall down and knock his scope off.
my son and his buddy are taking 6.5 with 7mm backup.
i have gotten to the point i just like to go to the big shining mts. killing an elk is gravy.

Last edited by rex47; 06/16/17 02:01 PM.

when the going gets really tough, I sit down and rest
Re: Would you hesitate to take a [Re: bphillips] #6795260 06/16/17 05:44 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: bphillips

Something I find odd is some of these mule deer outfitters requiring large calibers. They're not that tough

Bear country, make a client feel better?. Some of those LR guys out west are killing tag numbers due to their success rates being so high.

Most camp guns I've been around are 6.5-284 and 308's, apparently recoil is a real thing.

Re: Would you hesitate to take a [Re: bphillips] #6795287 06/16/17 06:10 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

Agreed. I've killed 41 mule deer bucks since 1971, and a 7-08 with a good 140 gr bullet is plenty enough.

Re: Would you hesitate to take a [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6795296 06/16/17 06:22 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Bear country, make a client feel better?. Some of those LR guys out west are killing tag numbers due to their success rates being so high.

Most camp guns I've been around are 6.5-284 and 308's, apparently recoil is a real thing.

6.5x284 "camp guns"? Seriously? You are in some different camps than me. I doubt most of the natives out west I've been around have even heard of a 6.5x284. (That's only a tiny bit tongue-in-cheek, if at all. I have never even seen the first hunter with a 6.5x284.) What I have seen is .270s/.30-06s/some .243s/some.300s carried by locals/guides. When you type stuff like that it really makes me wonder how we can both be hunting the same western United States.....

And LR guys so good they're decimating populations compared to all other hunters in a unit/area/state? Now, that's just plain silly. Really.
Do the LR guys get extra tags? Scare the deer around the ones they kill to death? So, they're just that much MORE effective at LR than the mortal hunters at normal ranges. Despite being way fewer in number? Wow.

(If they are having an effect, much more plausible explanation is that they are wounding the chit out of animals and killing 3-5 and only tagging one.)

But, I did cede you as The Man. So I'll be quiet now.

Re: Would you hesitate to take a [Re: Deerhunter61] #6795309 06/16/17 06:35 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Oh yeah? Well from right here I can pee over the highline, across the road, and hit that cat standing in the yard.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Would you hesitate to take a [Re: Smokey Bear] #6795312 06/16/17 06:39 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear
Oh yeah? Well from right here I can pee over the highline, across the road, and hit that cat standing in the yard.

I'm just responding and on-topic. I do plead guilty to not just letting what is (to me) clearly just typing stuff go.

Re: Would you hesitate to take a [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6795387 06/16/17 08:22 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

6.5x284 "camp guns"? Seriously? You are in some different camps than me. I doubt most of the natives out west I've been around have even heard of a 6.5x284. (That's only a tiny bit tongue-in-cheek, if at all. I have never even seen the first hunter with a 6.5x284.) What I have seen is .270s/.30-06s/some .243s/some.300s carried by locals/guides. When you type stuff like that it really makes me wonder how we can both be hunting the same western United States.....

And LR guys so good they're decimating populations compared to all other hunters in a unit/area/state? Now, that's just plain silly. Really.
Do the LR guys get extra tags? Scare the deer around the ones they kill to death? So, they're just that much MORE effective at LR than the mortal hunters at normal ranges. Despite being way fewer in number? Wow.

(If they are having an effect, much more plausible explanation is that they are wounding the chit out of animals and killing 3-5 and only tagging one.)

But, I did cede you as The Man. So I'll be quiet now.

I was thinking same thing about you. In lower 48 how many guides you hunt with where guiding with a rifle and what states.....?

2 different camps had 6.5-284 as "camp" rifles. I can't for the life of me see why you think that's so odd. I'd say 308 is by far the majority. I've only meet two guides that had 300 for clients... and those are rifles that you are currently mocking. Fact you mentioned 243 is actually funny considering this current thread.

I'm pretty sure your sheep hunting buddy John porter is a big 6.5-284 fan,

You even have any clue how tag allocation works and how success rates factor in.

Before you run your mouth about the LR stuff you should at the very least do some research. Prefect example Late season tags in Montana block management units. A lot of those late season elk hunts are now running historically high success rates. There are lots of outfitters that specialize in high success hunts where they have clients taking 40 plus elk year in year out, news flash they ain't doing it at 200 yards. You should book a hunt with someone like Brozovich that's responsible for 700 plus elk, maybe then you would actually listen and learn an actual real reason for a big bore mag gun in lower 48.

I'm not a LR guy but I'm sure not stupid enough to simply dismiss people's abilities and successes because I'm to lazy to become that proficient

Have you ever been on a non-guided western hunt in lower 48?

Re: Would you hesitate to take a [Re: Deerhunter61] #6795397 06/16/17 08:39 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Anyone else get the feeling that Nog and Bobo are best friends?? grin

Re: Would you hesitate to take a [Re: Deerhunter61] #6795401 06/16/17 08:48 PM
R
rex47 Offline
Bird Dog