Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The Best kept secret [Re: 1860.colt] #6784386 06/05/17 07:24 PM
C
Chunky Monkey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I hunted OSBWMA and it sucked. If I lived on that side of Texas then I'd probably do it again. I drew a lottery tag for that place and there were guys walking around and hunting my compartment that weren't even a part of the lottery hunt. To much human traffic for those odds IMO.

Re: The Best kept secret [Re: Chunky Monkey] #6784520 06/05/17 09:56 PM
1860.colt Offline OP
emoji colt.45
OP Offline
emoji colt.45
Sorry ta hear bout your bad experiance CM ... Have hunted OSBWMA ever since it opened ta public & always found people ta be friendly... Never done the draw hunts, had a set up behind house if wanted ta take deer just 15 min drive away... The crew that work their were always friendly, suprised they didnt help out, specialy if it was people not their for draw hunts...
Did the Archery deer-hog hunts.. The third hunt was same time as one of the squirrel-hog hunts, rest time they were seperate... Archery then had ta wear orange cause rim, shotgun, & muzzleloader... i got in stand, climbed one reach up, hung my orange vest then down one & settled in... Squirrel hunters could see the orange & would avoid, some had dogs, my out look, kept things moving, had a big herd of hogs pushed, just out of bow range, & some chatted, apolagized & moved on... bang my bad, guess i sbould have kept it a secret... scratch Then i'm not the only one who cant aford the high price leases & was looking for a good value for the buck for hunting... As pappy says: even low class hunters pay taxes on their hard earened dollar... Gov. set up for the Rich so they dont bitch ... It is some good hunten... flag

Last edited by colt.45; 06/05/17 09:57 PM.

i'm postaddic
Re: The Best kept secret [Re: 1860.colt] #6784764 06/06/17 01:51 AM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
LOL. I was bowhunting there in october several years ago and another bowhunter had taped a hand-written note on the board at the entrance that read "SQUIRREL SEASON IS OVER,CLOSED!!". I guess he was quite pizzed at squirrel hunters tromping through his set-up.

Re: The Best kept secret [Re: 1860.colt] #6784985 06/06/17 12:33 PM
W
White Falcon Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
"I hunted OSBWMA and it sucked. If I lived on that side of Texas then I'd probably do it again." So where did you drive from?

Re: The Best kept secret [Re: 1860.colt] #6785308 06/06/17 05:48 PM
1860.colt Offline OP
emoji colt.45
OP Offline
emoji colt.45
rofl One of the biggest let downs with Public hunting, Ya don't have that cosy box stand ta keep out of the bad weather... Have seen some fancy stands on leases, my first was just climbing in tree with a fork in it ta rest in an area with good sign... Ta me that's part of hunting, rofl failed n doing the home work when came ta grammer, got A+ for outdoors... as pappy once said if it twas easy every one would be doing it ... finding the sign is easy when not riding the trails on an ATV, but sure are nice when ya way back in their, & have ta backpack that's easier than dragging... Hunting buddy helps... Yagh, its not an, as pappy says exccative hunt bang bang bang miss my wondering about the woods ... Even low class hunters can afford the price... Just gotta do the homework... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: The Best kept secret [Re: White Falcon] #6787899 06/08/17 10:57 PM
T
TexOddball Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Originally Posted By: White Falcon
Rub some white solid stick deodorant on them chigger bites, couple times a day. Most will stop itching, others will take a week. What do you drive, I will stop if I see you in the parking lot on 1804. Grant

I drive a '98 F150, blue, with the half-doors for the back seat. Grill guard, headache rack, rails on the bed, and some body damage on the driver side. I'll be back out there this fall.

Re: The Best kept secret [Re: White Falcon] #6792143 06/13/17 04:57 PM
C
Chunky Monkey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
"I hunted OSBWMA and it sucked. If I lived on that side of Texas then I'd probably do it again." So where did you drive from?

I came in from the Houston area.

Re: The Best kept secret [Re: 1860.colt] #6792229 06/13/17 06:41 PM
1860.colt Offline OP
emoji colt.45
OP Offline
emoji colt.45
CM confused2 never done the Draw hunts at sabine, if wanted a deer2 had a set up down by creek south of the house... Even when it went ta 4 deer county, grabbed bow in hand & took a stand during the archery hunts... Seen several of the 13"+ every year...
Seen one called the yard stick buck ... Had asked one of the guys that worked out their if any one had taken a big buck.. He said he hadnt heard of one that i descibed & showed me some pics of big deer from their cams... None came close ta the out side spread as one i seen...
worthless its like the bigfoot sightings, if they dont see it, they dont believe it...
rofl might have been one of them released pen raised, BoBo was talken about up in CWD thread... confused2 over the 30+ years of living in that county have seen lots of 13"+ deer, is why question his post, were you think deer come from ?
Majority are basket racks, as they age, they get little wider thicker & taller... Houston area has several close deer-gun areas open ta public hunts...
scratch them, as pappy : execative hunts on leases or privete land, (box stands ta get out of bad weather, feeders, can use ATV or just drive your 4x4 up ta your cull, are okay... texas has offered public hunting for yyears , think it was, type 2 & type 1 hunts, mods know more about it than me ... i got cheap posts... Best wishes... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: The Best kept secret [Re: 1860.colt] #6793149 06/14/17 04:09 PM
W
White Falcon Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
Some of the deer in that area. Will be better this year.

"Remember, No deer in East TX. "!

Last edited by White Falcon; 06/14/17 04:11 PM.
Re: The Best kept secret [Re: 1860.colt] #6793329 06/14/17 06:32 PM
C
Chunky Monkey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: colt.45
CM confused2 never done the Draw hunts at sabine, if wanted a deer2 had a set up down by creek south of the house... Even when it went ta 4 deer county, grabbed bow in hand & took a stand during the archery hunts... Seen several of the 13"+ every year...
Seen one called the yard stick buck ... Had asked one of the guys that worked out their if any one had taken a big buck.. He said he hadnt heard of one that i descibed & showed me some pics of big deer from their cams... None came close ta the out side spread as one i seen...
worthless its like the bigfoot sightings, if they dont see it, they dont believe it...
rofl might have been one of them released pen raised, BoBo was talken about up in CWD thread... confused2 over the 30+ years of living in that county have seen lots of 13"+ deer, is why question his post, were you think deer come from ?
Majority are basket racks, as they age, they get little wider thicker & taller... Houston area has several close deer-gun areas open ta public hunts...
scratch them, as pappy : execative hunts on leases or privete land, (box stands ta get out of bad weather, feeders, can use ATV or just drive your 4x4 up ta your cull, are okay... texas has offered public hunting for yyears , think it was, type 2 & type 1 hunts, mods know more about it than me ... i got cheap posts... Best wishes... flag

I hear ya Colt, kinda. I guess I'm just upset about that one experience. I setup in a tree and had 3 different people walk past me hunting that shouldn't have been there. Also, 1 guy was drunk sitting on a lawn chair in some brush hunting. That place seemed out of control to me is all.

Re: The Best kept secret [Re: White Falcon] #6793598 06/14/17 11:41 PM
1860.colt Offline OP
emoji colt.45
OP Offline
emoji colt.45
Some of the deer in that area. Will be better this year.

"Remember, No deer in East TX. "!

coolpics those basket racks would have been culled way before they reached that age, on one of them excecative hunts, infearier deer... more money ya have the more freedom ya have ta pic witch deer ta shoot... i couldn't even afford ta shoot that younger buck, (the one with its head up)... most newbees don't realize that a 140" texas deer2 looks huge, comparied ta a 140" rack on a deer2 were i grew up... its like the two pictures i posted of the last hog i took with my AR, the one with the AR above hog, & one with AR at its feet, hog looked bigger with AR above it...
Like the cage around feeder, keeps the hogs out... They knocked over my tri pod, ruined my spinner feeder, so took old cable laying around house, hung it from tree ta tree & put up new feeder...
popcorn wonder if its still a 4 deer county yet...
cheers WF

worthless Best wishes flag

i'm postaddic
Re: The Best kept secret [Re: 1860.colt] #6795091 06/16/17 03:16 PM
W
White Falcon Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
I think it is Colt!
Chunky Monkey, If you lived closer, and could spend some more time there, I think you might like it. The Biologist's there should have run those other guys off! Sorry!!
You have to go the farthest points from the roads as Colt has said, don't go on the wheeler side. To much traffic!

Re: The Best kept secret [Re: White Falcon] #6795212 06/16/17 04:49 PM
C
Chunky Monkey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I think it is Colt!
Chunky Monkey, If you lived closer, and could spend some more time there, I think you might like it. The Biologist's there should have run those other guys off! Sorry!!
You have to go the farthest points from the roads as Colt has said, don't go on the wheeler side. To much traffic!

I think you might be right. I'd like to also mention that the biologists there were very kind and helpful. I'm sure this is a battle that they are to familiar with. I just don't have the time to scout there or anything for the hunting success odds in that particular area.

Re: The Best kept secret [Re: Chunky Monkey] #6795265 06/16/17 05:52 PM
1860.colt Offline OP
emoji colt.45
OP Offline
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Chunky Monkey
I think it is Colt!

I think you might be right. I'd like to also mention that the biologists there were very kind and helpful. I'm sure this is a battle that they are to familiar with. I just don't have the time to scout there or anything for the hunting success odds in that particular area.

Time is big factor when hunting area size of sabine 5727 acres... My Archery hunts were in thicker off the trails & not too far from parking, My health over the years, had ta lurn ta slow down... Its public land, if ya hunt close, be prepared ta have some one enter your area... have had it happen ta me few times, one was in my climber, a youngster came up bout 40yrds ta my right & sat... i still had a 300 degree arch ta hunt, later climbed down & went ta camp... like on here i get chatty bout hunting, have axidently bumped inta some one going threw, apologized & moved on...
The hog only, all legal meens is when i did my hunt&stalk... for hogs found best usualy they back out their, lotta leg work, if ya bringing one outback pac works best, haven't watched the videos, just cut & pull hid back, take backstrap do same with quarters, then rull over do same... When their lots of hog, have been on hunt with two guys from FW area at sabine, with-in 15min we had tree hogs... bang if wouldn't gotten turminated would still be hunting their, rofl take that back, shoulder surgery almost year ago, would hve ta figure way ta adapt, here can use crossbow after 60 so can lean it on limb or rest bar on tree stand... had ta give up my archery hunts several years back, was denied disability for cross bow hunts their...
The rubs, scrapes, trails droppings, they all still their during the hog hunts... It can be thick ta walk threw, lots of snakes, moccasens, copper head, cain break, just a few, rofl becarefull answering mother natures call, dopped drawers, went ta squate, looked make sure no poison ivy or oak, some times late at night, on clear blue calm nights ya can still here the screams, some say its a squash others a panther... oh, hog hunts ya is helping the surrounding land owners, limited hunting time, compired ta the 24-7-365, makes it a hot spot...
yeph, the best kept secret... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: The Best kept secret [Re: 1860.colt] #6795349 06/16/17 07:24 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Went once many years ago when I was in high school. Me and my brother and a cousin took a senior trip of sorts out there. We drove from San Antonio, first time i'd ever been there. We got on some hogs and took one home, could have taken more if we would have shot better.

Covered many miles on foot and got more ticks/tick bites than I could count. If I lived close i'd go back... with a 5 gallon jug of OFF!

It's hell eatin em live
Re: The Best kept secret [Re: 1860.colt] #6795706 06/17/17 02:11 AM
W
White Falcon Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
Thermacell, the only way to go! Did some one say HOGS!!!

Re: The Best kept secret [Re: 1860.colt] #6796073 06/17/17 04:35 PM
1860.colt Offline OP
emoji colt.45
OP Offline
emoji colt.45
redchevy, was that a May hunt? Son & i used ta spend hours treading, confused2 maybe it was the wading threw the waters, very seldom got ticks, during Jan, Feb, & March hunts, have hunted sbine since it opened ta public, very few ticks.. Very seldom did the may hunts, got enough heat at foundry... If did, early cool mornings...
Worst was, early archery hunts, knatts & mosketoes.. From what hear, when they came out with the thermacells, it was big help...
As in WF post, way back in, further the better during hog only, first year opened...
seen, not even gonna try put a no. on how many... size ranged from 300- down ta 5-10#s moving threw woods...
Ak's made dent then AR's & that's with limited months, No hog hunts at night, or NV, Thermal, trapping, baiting & such... Unless some got special permition ... Later years ya had ta hit right areas... Had videos on different thread... Their some big ones still out their, hesitated pulling trigger one day, was back in their, with friend, & that day i wasn't up ta pulling my part... he gave me hard time not pulling trigger... Lots of good memories out their... Stay Safe
Edit: That small screen on android, flag

Last edited by colt.45; 06/17/17 04:50 PM.

i'm postaddic
Re: The Best kept secret [Re: 1860.colt] #6797566 06/19/17 01:35 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Yes it probably would have been in May when we went, late May if I had to guess. Ticks were horrible, we went out for the first morning and came back to camp for lunch and had about 20-30 ticks on each of us. On the afternoon I sprayed down with off and so did my cousin but brother did not. That evening my and my cousin each had fewer than 10 ticks and my brother was in the 30+ range. THen on we all bathed in off. We spent 2 nights in a tent, it was a lot of fun for a few high school kids, cooked in dutch ovens and hunted. Caught a blue cat out of the sabine on a piece of balled up tortilla on a hook made out of wire and some fishing line I found. Fond memories of the trip.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: The Best kept secret [Re: 1860.colt] #6798215 06/20/17 02:28 AM
1860.colt Offline OP
emoji colt.45
OP Offline
emoji colt.45
cheers as pappy say's: for some its the memories ya ta home that make it a trophy hunt ...
Have hunted many of the other WMA's this one was just down the road... Thanks for sharing... flag

i'm postaddic
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide