Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: SapperTitan] #6786814 06/08/17 12:57 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
The field presents different situations than the static situation of the range. I get that some apparently aren't aware of that. If I didn't get it before, I certainly do now. It's apparent many haven't spent much real time hunting as I read this thread.

Field situations can be adapted to with both absolute safety and hunting in mind. It ain't hard. And it doesn't require walking around with open bolts - or a rangemaster with a bullhorn either. smile

Real hunting meaning spending tons of money to have a guide get you on a sheep in the mountains? Thats not hunting thats following a hunter that knows how to hunt and then taking a shot once he gets you on the sheep because you couldn't do it yourself.

The more some of you talk, the more is confirmed about how little you know of what you are talking about. Post up your sheep if you're such an expert.

I was in the woods hunting and killing animals 20 years before you were born.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6786816 06/08/17 12:58 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Yeah. And you still suck at life.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: J.G.] #6786819 06/08/17 01:00 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Yeah. And you still suck at life.

You're not a very nice man, JG. smile

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6786822 06/08/17 01:05 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I will risk life, limb, and bend over backwards for kind, respectful people. With the same amount of passion.

I will take zero crap off the opposite type of person. And you are that type. Mean, spiteful, disrespectful. That's you.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6786823 06/08/17 01:06 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
The field presents different situations than the static situation of the range. I get that some apparently aren't aware of that. If I didn't get it before, I certainly do now. It's apparent many haven't spent much real time hunting as I read this thread.

Field situations can be adapted to with both absolute safety and hunting in mind. It ain't hard. And it doesn't require walking around with open bolts - or a rangemaster with a bullhorn either. smile

Nobody said it was hard, again typical of you mocking others that don't do it "your" way.

The comedy is actually in your "real time hunting" thought process. Funny assumption, I can see you now, as you step back and say damn that dude's bolt is cleared, idiot must not know how to hunt...
Or why is that dude hunting pheasants with an opened Shotgun, that idiot doesn't know how to hunt...

You really like them scabbarded packs don't you....

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: J.G.] #6786826 06/08/17 01:07 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I will risk life, limb, and bend over backwards for kind, respectful people. With the same amount of passion.

I will take zero crap off the opposite type of person. And you are that type. Mean, spiteful, disrespectful. That's you.

Well, I don't go around telling people I don't know that they suck at life. So there's that. smile

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6786832 06/08/17 01:11 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

Real hunting meaning spending tons of money to have a guide get you on a sheep in the mountains? Thats not hunting thats following a hunter that knows how to hunt and then taking a shot once he gets you on the sheep because you couldn't do it yourself.

The more some of you talk, the more is confirmed about how little you know of what you are talking about. Post up your sheep if you're such an expert.

I don't need to kill a sheep to be a good hunter, I also don't need a guide. The fact you think you know better and you think you are a better hunter than anyone else on here without even knowing these people shows us just what type of person you are. You obviously consider yourself elite and better than us poor folk. You prob pay someone to fill your feeders and plant your plots.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: SapperTitan] #6786838 06/08/17 01:17 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

I don't need to kill a sheep to be a good hunter, I also don't need a guide. The fact you think you know better and you think you are a better hunter than anyone else on here without even knowing these people shows us just what type of person you are. You obviously consider yourself elite and better than us poor folk. You prob pay someone to fill your feeders and plant your plots.

You brought up sheep hunting, not me.

I am not elite by any means. There are a lot better hunters than me on this forum. And some who don't know nearly as much as they think they do. But it doesn't stop some of them from dissing others about subjects they know nothing about (like sheep hunting) - and people they don't know. And in doing so, reveal themselves.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6786848 06/08/17 01:27 AM
S
swmays Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Next time I go to my place ima going to leave my firearms at home locked in the safe. I'm going to be the safest MF in the woods. Which one of you ladies going to beat that!

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6786853 06/08/17 01:34 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Well, I don't go around telling people I don't know that they suck at life. So there's that. smile

My wife says I'm blunt, and I accept that. Twice now, I've shown that you are a hypocrite. And both times you were attacking the way I do things, and stating that I don't know anything about hunting. Well, my LLC has the word "Hunters" in it. And you doing that is an attack on my way of life, as well as a part time business, dedicated to help hunters be more proficient with their rifles. So yes, I take it very personal. You are attempting to discredit me, which could cause harm to my passion that has turned into a way to offset expenses on land and a rifle range.

And after many times of me showing proof that you're full of crap, you persist in your typical mean spirited, condescending banter. I've made hundreds of friends via this forum, and I don't mean internet only. I mean in person.

Day in, and day out you are in conflict with multiple people ever failing to accept YOU are the problem. So I stand by my statement, you suck at life.

There's about a sharp a jab as you throw at me, and many others around here, daily.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: swmays] #6786855 06/08/17 01:37 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: swmays
Next time I go to my place ima going to leave my firearms at home locked in the safe. I'm going to be the safest MF in the woods. Which one of you ladies going to beat that!

The guy that walked..... car and atv accidents are on the rise

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: J.G.] #6786856 06/08/17 01:38 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

My wife says I'm blunt, and I accept that. Twice now, I've shown that you are a hypocrite. And both times you were attacking the way I do things, and stating that I don't know anything about hunting. Well, my LLC has the word "Hunters" in it. And you doing that is an attack on my way of life, as well as a part time business, dedicated to help hunters be more proficient with their rifles. So yes, I take it very personal. You are attempting to discredit me, which could cause harm to my passion that has turned into a way to offset expenses on land and a rifle range.

And after many times of me showing proof that you're full of crap, you persist in your typical mean spirited, condescending banter. I've made hundreds of friends via this forum, and I don't mean internet only. I mean in person.

Day in, and day out you are in conflict with multiple people ever failing to accept YOU are the problem. So I stand by my statement, you suck at life.

There's about a sharp a jab as you throw at me, and many others around here, daily.

Well, that's simply not true.

A few just don't like to be challenged and in the challenging - revealed. It's that simple.

And why the irrelevant chest-thumping and insults come out.

Some might say lecturing someone on respect and then in the next sentence saying they suck at life is a tad bit hypocritical. smile

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6786858 06/08/17 01:39 AM
S
swmays Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
None of you four walk.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: swmays] #6786864 06/08/17 01:42 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
None of you four walk.

Me walk? Oh Hell no!!! I drive a truck as far as can go then I'd ride an ATV to as far as I can go, then ride a horse as far as I can go. I hate snakes..

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: swmays] #6786865 06/08/17 01:44 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
None of you four walk.

I wish that were true sometimes. smile

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6786868 06/08/17 01:46 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Always deflecting and re directing so he can play the victim. Reminds of that red headed woman that held up the fake Trump head. Now all of a sudden she is the victim. I guess NP and her share tactics.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: SapperTitan] #6786874 06/08/17 01:54 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Always deflecting and re directing so he can play the victim. Reminds of that red headed woman that held up the fake Trump head. Now all of a sudden she is the victim. I guess NP and her share tactics.

I'm not deflecting squat. You brought up a subject, talked smack to me about it, and then turns out you have no experience on it.

That's called fair discussion. Then we get, "Uh,oh, I'm stuck - better start hollering deflection or Kathy somebody or my wife thinks I'm a stud or you like scabbard packs or.....or.......or.......". In other words, deflection.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6786876 06/08/17 01:59 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

I'm not deflecting squat. You brought up a subject, talked smack to me about it, and then turns out you have no experience on it.

That's called fair discussion. Then we get, "Uh,oh, I'm stuck - better start hollering deflection or Kathy somebody or my wife thinks I'm a stud or you like scabbard packs or.....or.......or.......". In other words, deflection.

your the only sheep hunter and you also think you are the only real hunter in this thread see the correlation between the two and why I brought it up?

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: SapperTitan] #6786883 06/08/17 02:03 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

BINGO!

Degrades, throws insults, condescends, and when shots are fired back, whining like a *****.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Smokey Bear] #6786884 06/08/17 02:04 AM
J
Jgraider Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear
I have followed this post with dismay. This is a landowners perspective, coming from a guy who leases out A big chunk of low fence private ground in texas, where some of the biggest deer in the region are taken each year. I have been to the banquet in Austin to accept the lonestar land Steward award. (Google it if you don't know what it is). I only shared that personal information so I would not be taken as a crackpot, but a guy that has seen hunters at their best and worst..
For most landowners the hunting is small potatoes in the profitability of our land. We lease it to share the resource with other sportsmen especially the youth who are the future. Usually the monetary goal is to simply cover the property taxes, and it is a general PITA. A landowners number one concern when leasing out the hunting rights is liability. Countless times I have seen hunters engage in unsafe actions and find a way to rationalize what they want to do, to make it ok. In my eyes the experienced hunter shoulders the moral obligation to set the right example for the young and inexperienced. Scanning the woods for game with a scoped rifle is not a safe practice. Come on guys you already know that. Closer evaluation of a game animal is pretty standard stuff. Having a rifle pointed at my son and me, or getting a call that some slack jawed redneck has pointed a rifle at a nearby neighbor, or an experienced hunter has accidentally shot another hunter is bad, and unfortunately part of what a landowner letting hunters on his property deals with. After further investigation the guys always have something to say like "I thought it would be ok if I was careful".
If you can't tell what you are looking at with the naked eye, use binoculars. If it's too far for binoculars use a spotting scope. If you don't have a spotting scope get one, or get close enough to see what you are looking at BY SOME OTHER MEANS THAN POINTING A WEAPON AT IT.
The decisions some upstanding and otherwise reasonable grown men rationalize, in the name of pursuing game at times leaves me shaking my head. Hunters putting at risk the surrounding hunters, the landowners property, family, employees, and neighbors is the kind of thing that cause landowners to cease granting hunting access on their property.
Sorry about the tirade. This thread hit a nerve.

Outstanding post. Nothing there can be argued with.

Congrats on your stewardship awards. That is fantastic, and something to be most proud of.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: bo3] #6786892 06/08/17 02:08 AM
J
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: bo323
I think some of the problem we are having on this topic is because we four groups. Land owners who lease, land owners hunting their own land, hunters on leases, and hunters on public land. There is no one fits all solution for this. What works one place may not work on the other's place. However we try to shove our solution down another's throat because we believe our way is the only way.

Well I will respectfully disagree with all of that. There is one very simple solution that is meant for everyone, no matter public, private land, no matter if your a lessee or lessor.....never point a loaded weapon at something you do not intend to destroy. It is a very basic safety rule you learn the first five minutes of and hunter safety course. It's also common sense.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6786894 06/08/17 02:10 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: Jgraider
I think some of the problem we are having on this topic is because we four groups. Land owners who lease, land owners hunting their own land, hunters on leases, and hunters on public land. There is no one fits all solution for this. What works one place may not work on the other's place. However we try to shove our solution down another's throat because we believe our way is the only way.

Well I will respectfully disagree with all of that. There is one very simple solution that is meant for everyone, no matter public, private land, no matter if your a lessee or lessor.....never point a loaded weapon at something you do not intend to destroy. It is a very basic safety rule you learn the first five minutes of and hunter safety course. It's also common sense.
what if you intend to destroy/kill it until you spit a broke G3 with your high powered scope?

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6786895 06/08/17 02:10 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
38 for
35 against

2110 hours, 7 June 2017

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6786896 06/08/17 02:11 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: SapperTitan] #6786904 06/08/17 02:18 AM
J
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Jgraider

what if you intend to destroy/kill it until you spit a broke G3 with your high powered scope?

It depends. If you're scanning and scanning/glassing the horizon with a loaded rifle and stumble onto the buck, then you obviously violated the principle I asked about in the OP. If you found the buck with binocs or a spotter, then picked up your rifle intending to shoot it, then that's what I'd consider standard procedure, at least that's my standard procedure.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide