46 Forums
425382 Topics
5870503 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Topic Options
#6776435 - 05/27/17 11:35 AM gas motor golf cart? opinions please
okjhutch Offline
Pro Tracker

My wife has it on her mind to get a golf cart, I told her I did not like them because of the batteries. Well we found a dealer that sales them now with 27hp Kawasaki engines in them and they give them a 4 in lift and a/t tires and chrome rims and front windshield.

I don't know a thing about golf cart and thought I would ask the THF community. We will not be playing golf. Use it mainly at the lake running around carrying all the crap from the house down to the beech and back and just driving around the neighborhood, may bring it back and forth to the ranch and use.

Any advise, pro's n con's

thanks
j

#6776524 - 05/27/17 02:24 PM Re: gas motor golf cart? opinions please [Re: okjhutch]
Fltmedic Offline
Tracker

Loc: San Antonio, TX
i would suggest visiting www.buggiesgonewild.com it's a great resource for golf cart questions. I have an electric golf cart which is upgraded and can do what you want the gas to do. I would suggest searching that forum because that question has been asked before and you can get pros/cons from many different owners who have different applications for their buggies.

Edited by Fltmedic (05/27/17 02:25 PM)

#6777485 - 05/28/17 10:29 PM Re: gas motor golf cart? opinions please [Re: okjhutch]
Shotgun Willie Offline
Tracker

Loc: McKinney, TX
I had an EZGO ST350 Workhorse that I absolutely loved. It'd do everything you're looking to do, and it was all factory. Ran like a champ and I never had an issue out of it. The only thing it wouldn't do is real steep hills, like, *real* steep hills, but a clutch swap would have fixed that. I didn't do it because I really didn't need it and I didn't want to sacrifice top speed for torque. It'd tow a small trailer loaded with firewood without trouble.

A buddy bought one that had that 27hp swap, and while it ran like a scalded dog when it ran, he was always having to fidget with it to get it going. It was obnoxiously loud, and it was a hand full to drive at speed.

Unless you're looking specifically for a hot rod, go drive a regular old gas cart. From the factory they're governed, but it's easy to adjust the governor to get a little more speed without risking floating the valves.

Oh, and if you get one with the pickup bed, like a workhorse or a carryall, pony up for the electric tilt bed. I've had both, and it's absolutely worth the money.

#6790076 - 06/11/17 11:15 AM Re: gas motor golf cart? opinions please [Re: okjhutch]
Vern1 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Pettytown, TX, US of A
Like ATVs, there are a lot of pretty worthless golf carts out there that have been over lifted and running big tires.
Lift kits make them top heavy and tall tires raise the gear ratio and kill bottom end and together can turn a nice docile vehicle into an ill handling POS whereas performance engines can make them temperamental like a race car.
With a little forethought, you can drive a standard gas golf cart with knobbie tires anywhere you reasonably need to go.
With the standard straight ribbed golf cart tires, you can get stuck in wet grass.
We use them for ranch vehicles....remember, golf carts are the original SXS.....

A standard EZGO gas cart with added rear bed will haul corn, build fence and is generally easier to drive and much more comfortable that a lot of stuff out there.
If you haul heavy loads a lot, you can get a set of heavier rear springs but ride quality will suffer.

Battery carts are convenient but you can buy a LOT of gas for approximately 600.00 you put in batteries every 3 years - just remember your Stabil 360 (orange for gas with alcohol) gas treatment or you will be paying someone to clean or replace your carb if it sits for a few months.
NRA Lifetime Member

#6794079 - 06/15/17 09:15 AM Re: gas motor golf cart? opinions please [Re: okjhutch]
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
What does one of these cost? How does that compare to a ranger, mule, etc.?

I can imagine a new cart with an upgraded motor is getting into the area where you could buy a ranger etc. with the smaller motor option and have a much more functional and re-sellable vehicle.

#6794165 - 06/15/17 10:21 AM Re: gas motor golf cart? opinions please [Re: okjhutch]
Shotgun Willie Offline
Tracker

Loc: McKinney, TX
Stock used, you can pick them up around 3k all day long. I bought mine for $2750, beat it like a rented step child for a few years, and sold it for $3k without doing anything to it besides a new set of takeoff tires.

Looking at craigslist, here's one for $2800 and the ad says motivated. Probably get it for $2500, which would be a good deal on one.

https://austin.craigslist.org/snw/6177849762.html

Looks like it's spent most of it's time at a lake community, doing just what the OP was asking about.

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide