Page 1 of 2 1 2
Argentina Duck Advice? #6768974 05/19/17 09:26 PM
D
dkershen Offline OP
Rev Dave
OP Offline
Rev Dave
D
Hey guys.. I don't do a lot of duck hunting so looking for some sage advise from this forum. Going hunting in Argentina next month on a mixed bag hunt which includes a day or two of water fowling. I plan on having a couple ducks taxi'd there and shipped back. Which two of the following (hen or drake) would you make the highest priority?

1. Chilean Brown Pintail
2. Silver teal
3. Argentine Cinnamon Teal
4. Chiloe
5. Speckled Teal
6. Argentine Red Shoveler
7. Ringed teal
8. Rosybill Pochard
9. White faced tree duck

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Argentina Duck Advice? [Re: dkershen] #6769013 05/19/17 10:23 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Wish I had taxied a Rosybill when I was there over 10 years ago. Absoultely loved that country and cherish the 2 weeks, was there also in June.

Re: Argentina Duck Advice? [Re: dkershen] #6769035 05/19/17 10:39 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Whichever have the most color

Re: Argentina Duck Advice? [Re: dkershen] #6769132 05/20/17 12:23 AM
B
Barasingha Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I like chiloe widgeon, but it is what you like best.

Re: Argentina Duck Advice? [Re: dkershen] #6769164 05/20/17 01:01 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Silver teal and Ringed teal get my vote from your list. But if you get a White-cheeked Pintail, I would take that over the Ringed teal. But really it does not matter, you are gonna have an awesome trip, any duck you put on the wall will be sweet, put the duck on the wall that carries the best story, you shot it with one hand while taking a piss etc...Every mount requires a good story. Have fun. up

Re: Argentina Duck Advice? [Re: Guy] #6769311 05/20/17 03:39 AM
D
dkershen Offline OP
Rev Dave
OP Offline
Rev Dave
D
Originally Posted By: Guy
Silver teal and Ringed teal get my vote from your list. But if you get a White-cheeked Pintail, I would take that over the Ringed teal. But really it does not matter, you are gonna have an awesome trip, any duck you put on the wall will be sweet, put the duck on the wall that carries the best story, you shot it with one hand while taking a piss etc...Every mount requires a good story. Have fun. up
. Great advice up

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Re: Argentina Duck Advice? [Re: dkershen] #6769414 05/20/17 12:42 PM
D
DuckSausage Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Great idea. I have never thought of that as a work around to the exportation situation. Have you found a good taxi? Mind telling us what the cost of the work and shipping will be? I have dreamed of Argentina, but not being able to bring my birds back is the only reason I haven't done it.

Re: Argentina Duck Advice? [Re: dkershen] #6770201 05/21/17 02:07 PM
T
Ty Webb Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I wouldn't get your hopes up too high on the taxidermy. It's illegal to import any bird from Argentina. If USFW takes frozen solid birds that seriously that would be some loophole to allow mounted birds through with some sort of special customs paperwork.
Having spoken with several outfitters and a few nationally recognized taxidermists, I've never heard of someone trying to do what you're talking about. Personally, I've not booked a trip to Argentina simply because you cannot import your trophies.

Re: Argentina Duck Advice? [Re: dkershen] #6771449 05/22/17 06:25 PM
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Honestly I'd mount whatever I thought was coolest, not what someone else thought I should have mounted. I'm not trying to start dating other duck hunters by impressing them with my mounts or anything...

Re: Argentina Duck Advice? [Re: Ty Webb] #6771849 05/23/17 12:30 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Ty Webb
I wouldn't get your hopes up too high on the taxidermy. It's illegal to import any bird from Argentina. If USFW takes frozen solid birds that seriously that would be some loophole to allow mounted birds through with some sort of special customs paperwork.
Having spoken with several outfitters and a few nationally recognized taxidermists, I've never heard of someone trying to do what you're talking about. Personally, I've not booked a trip to Argentina simply because you cannot import your trophies.

I'm sure I'm miss reading this, but this makes it sound like you can import them....

https://www.fws.gov/birds/policies-and-regulations/permits/import-and-export.php

Re: Argentina Duck Advice? [Re: dkershen] #6772076 05/23/17 03:25 AM
D
DuckSausage Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I do not believe the issue is with the US restricting importation, but with Argentina and exporting.

Re: Argentina Duck Advice? [Re: DuckSausage] #6772519 05/23/17 04:46 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I know this guy that goes to Argentina often, he showed me many mounted ducks he shot down there, so he is doing it somehow. Not sure why Argentina would restrict export of game birds, especially if processed in Argentina.

Re: Argentina Duck Advice? [Re: Guy] #6772758 05/23/17 09:05 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I like all of the teal a bunch. On the topic of exporting/importing birds, here is what I found out first hand. Bear with me because it will be long winded...

Before I ever went to Argentina I contacted Eric at Alive Again Recreations because he had just come back from Argentina and had imported birds. First he told me to call the USFWS wherever I would be clearing customs to let them know the time and date I would be coming through with birds. Also you have to have a USDA certified taxidermist to send them to which I believe has to be done at the airport under USFWS observation. Then he told me about all the paper work I needed which I double checked with USFWS at DFW International Airport. I was all good there. I think technically you are not supposed to export birds out of Argentina but I just had them frozen in ziplocks and in those insulated freezer bags and brought an extra duffle bag to check on the way back. We got to the airport and I just set the bag on the scale and they put a tag on it and sent it back with all the other bags. I just planned on playing dumb if they saw it and tried to give me hell about it. I don't think their security is very strict because I walked right onto our plane with a 4 inch pocket knife in my carry on.

The hitch in my plan came when our flight was rerouted through Miami instead of DFW. The customs agents there told me I had to have an "agent" to get my birds back in for me which would cost >=$500. I showed them all my paper work and they were not having it. I think they wanted to make their buddy some money. Anyway we ended up leaving 18 ducks in Miami so we didn't miss our connecting flight after screwing with those guys for 2.5 hours. If I could go back and do it again I'd probably just pay the $500.

Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: Argentina Duck Advice? [Re: john paul] #6773669 05/24/17 06:21 PM
T
Ty Webb Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted By: john paul
I like all of the teal a bunch. On the topic of exporting/importing birds, here is what I found out first hand. Bear with me because it will be long winded...

Before I ever went to Argentina I contacted Eric at Alive Again Recreations because he had just come back from Argentina and had imported birds. First he told me to call the USFWS wherever I would be clearing customs to let them know the time and date I would be coming through with birds. Also you have to have a USDA certified taxidermist to send them to which I believe has to be done at the airport under USFWS observation. Then he told me about all the paper work I needed which I double checked with USFWS at DFW International Airport. I was all good there. I think technically you are not supposed to export birds out of Argentina but I just had them frozen in ziplocks and in those insulated freezer bags and brought an extra duffle bag to check on the way back. We got to the airport and I just set the bag on the scale and they put a tag on it and sent it back with all the other bags. I just planned on playing dumb if they saw it and tried to give me hell about it. I don't think their security is very strict because I walked right onto our plane with a 4 inch pocket knife in my carry on.

The hitch in my plan came when our flight was rerouted through Miami instead of DFW. The customs agents there told me I had to have an "agent" to get my birds back in for me which would cost >=$500. I showed them all my paper work and they were not having it. I think they wanted to make their buddy some money. Anyway we ended up leaving 18 ducks in Miami so we didn't miss our connecting flight after screwing with those guys for 2.5 hours. If I could go back and do it again I'd probably just pay the $500.

Hope that helps.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdtx/pr/taxidermist-sentenced-violating-wildlife-laws

Well.... This conversation is done.

Re: Argentina Duck Advice? [Re: dkershen] #6773857 05/24/17 09:31 PM
D
dkershen Offline OP
Rev Dave
OP Offline
Rev Dave
D
Good grief. Looks like john paul dodged a bullet by leaving his ducks in Miami.

Been talking to my outfitter and he say's I can get birds in legally if I jump through all the right hoops, use import agents and ship directly to a USDA certified taxidermist. A second alternative is to have them taxi'd in Argentina, and then import them. (I suspect it's only slightly less paperwork, and iffy on the quality.) He suggested I would save a lot of time, money and headache simply buying farm raised birds of the same species in the US and having them mounted. I'm conflicted on this last option.

Sort of seems like cheating to hang a farm raised bird on the wall even if I did kill it's wild cousin in Argentina. Your thoughts?

Re: Argentina Duck Advice? [Re: dkershen] #6773872 05/24/17 09:47 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Go and enjoy. It's fun. Take lots of photos. I'd check in to the paperwork & fees for having taxied in Argentina and legally imported and then make decision. I'd probably end up just framing some photos and forego the mounts and hassle.

Re: Argentina Duck Advice? [Re: Ty Webb] #6774348 05/25/17 01:13 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Ty Webb

Hope that helps.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdtx/pr/taxidermist-sentenced-violating-wildlife-laws

Well.... This conversation is done.

First off I had no idea about this. But the reason he got in trouble was because he brought back a bird from Argentina that is protected under the CITES Act.

Quote:
In June 2012, Schmidt traveled to Argentina and returned to Corpus Christi with 18 birds he hunted in Argentina. Among the birds he killed and imported was one comb duck (Sarkidiornis melanotos), a species that is listed and protected under CITES.

You do realize the other 17 birds he imported (the exact same way he told me to go about doing it) were A ok???

Re: Argentina Duck Advice? [Re: dkershen] #6774350 05/25/17 01:15 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: dkershen

Been talking to my outfitter and he say's I can get birds in legally if I jump through all the right hoops, use import agents and ship directly to a USDA certified taxidermist.

Is this not exactly what I said? How did I dodge a bullet?

Re: Argentina Duck Advice? [Re: Guy] #6774550 05/25/17 04:06 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J

Silver teal are my favorite.

Re: Argentina Duck Advice? [Re: dkershen] #6774689 05/25/17 06:52 PM
T
Ty Webb Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Just to reiterate what I said in my first post:

http://getducksblog.blogspot.com/2017/05/exporting-birds-from-argentina.html?m=1

It doesn't matter where your taxidermist is, you're breaking the law.

Re: Argentina Duck Advice? [Re: dkershen] #6774692 05/25/17 06:53 PM
D
DuckSausage Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I believe he was in violation of all 18 birds and 1 of those also violated CITES.

I'd love to learn that there's a way to legally do it. However, this has always been my understanding.

Regarding Argentina: "THE EXPORTATION OF WATERFOWL OR OTHER INDIGENOUS WILDLIFE IS PRESENTLY STRICTLY PROHIBITED; CONSEQUENTLY, THEIR IMPORTATION VIOLATES U.S. IMPORTATION LAWS."

http://getducksblog.blogspot.com/2017/05/exporting-birds-from-argentina.html?m=1

Re: Argentina Duck Advice? [Re: john paul] #6774716 05/25/17 07:26 PM
D
dkershen Offline OP
Rev Dave
OP Offline
Rev Dave
D

Been talking to my outfitter and he say's I can get birds in legally if I jump through all the right hoops, use import agents and ship directly to a USDA certified taxidermist.

Is this not exactly what I said? How did I dodge a bullet?
Because, as you said, you didn't have an export certificate from Argentina. Had your birds gotten to Eric, I suspect they would have been seized like all the other work he had going on.

I'm confused on the conflicting stories regarding export. There are a number of lodges that say they can get your birds exported, and list the fees to do so on their website. And then you see the article by Ramsey Russell saying it's been illegal for a decade. I'm beginning to wonder if getting a duck exported with paperwork simply requires the right connections or bribes? Either way I guess I'll just take pictures and not worry about it on this trip. Short on wall space in my office anyway...

Re: Argentina Duck Advice? [Re: dkershen] #6775036 05/26/17 12:49 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
What's the rationale for it being illegal if you shot the birds legally and it is not for trade? I don't get it.

Re: Argentina Duck Advice? [Re: dkershen] #6775319 05/26/17 12:35 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Hey guys.. I don't do a lot of duck hunting so looking for some sage advise from this forum. Going hunting in Argentina next month on a mixed bag hunt which includes a day or two of water fowling. I plan on having a couple ducks taxi'd there and shipped back. Which two of the following (hen or drake) would you make the highest priority?

1. Chilean Brown Pintail
2. Silver teal
3. Argentine Cinnamon Teal
4. Chiloe
5. Speckled Teal
6. Argentine Red Shoveler
7. Ringed teal
8. Rosybill Pochard
9. White faced tree duck

Argentinean all u can eat fogo de chao shoveler

Last edited by beaversnipe; 05/26/17 12:40 PM.

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: Argentina Duck Advice? [Re: Guy] #6775343 05/26/17 01:07 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
What's the rationale for it being illegal if you shot the birds legally and it is not for trade? I don't get it.

That is what I am wondering? Maybe they have gotten more strict over the last 5 years but when I went down 5 years ago I knew of several people that were bringing birds back without any problem.

Re: Argentina Duck Advice? [Re: Guy] #6775386 05/26/17 01:57 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Guy
I know this guy that goes to Argentina often, he showed me many mounted ducks he shot down there, so he is doing it somehow. Not sure why Argentina would restrict export of game birds, especially if processed in Argentina.

U can import ducks from Argentina if u are a baller and fly private jet like Lee Trevino
#beaballer

Last edited by beaversnipe; 05/26/17 02:05 PM.

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide