Print Thread
If you have ever trained a dog before... #6768736 05/19/17 05:15 PM
H
HuntersAnonymous41 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
Happy Friday everyone. Yesterday I went to see one of the pups at Best Retrievers in Paige, TX to check up on how he was doing and get a feel for their training methods. He is moving on to the advance program here in the next week which means he switches trainers and I wanted to make sure I wasn't skipping a beat by meeting with the current trainer before he moved on. Wow was I in for a treat though. I have always grown up around working dogs all my life; mostly coon, rabbit, and hog dogs in Louisiana but really got into bird dogs within the last few years. I have a lot to learn when it comes to training a working bird dog in the field. I guess i have always been spoiled around people who already had working bird dogs but am now really getting a feel for what it all takes having a pup of my own now.
Within this last year I have started to feel that it takes a lot more to work and train a bird/retrieving dog compared to a tracker or hound. I do not mean any insult with this post. Just something that I have personally started to feel here recently going through this process. What are y'all opinions when it comes to training working dogs.

*BLLM* Black Labs Lives Matter. Point&Shoot. Conserve&Protect. Hunt&Gather
Re: If you have ever trained a dog before... [Re: HuntersAnonymous41] #6768749 05/19/17 05:39 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Genetics mean everything. If it's their blood, they pick it up naturally. If not, they never will.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: If you have ever trained a dog before... [Re: HuntersAnonymous41] #6768787 05/19/17 06:27 PM
H
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
Yeah couldn't agree more. I was more thinking outside of genetics and drive. Of course it is impossible without drive but even with drive training is key to fine tune those habits when in the field. I hope that makes sense

Re: If you have ever trained a dog before... [Re: Texas Dan] #6768890 05/19/17 08:03 PM
S
sallysue Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Genetics mean everything. If it's their blood, they pick it up naturally. If not, they never will.
Man aint that true My gal is a natural

Last edited by sallysue; 05/19/17 08:03 PM.
Re: If you have ever trained a dog before... [Re: HuntersAnonymous41] #6768903 05/19/17 08:16 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I also believe that genetics are critical in avoiding dogs with undesired behaviors. IMO, a dog is never broke from a behavior that exists in his/her genetics. You can put a shock collar on them until Hell freezes over and the tendency will still be there. Pit bulls are a good example.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: If you have ever trained a dog before... [Re: HuntersAnonymous41] #6768911 05/19/17 08:21 PM
H
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
Definitely Texas Dan! Yesterday with my retriever we were going through everything from the hip swing to listening and comprehending hand signals given, and running a mark. Good genes usually are the make or break of a dog but it amazes me all the work that goes into it beyond that. There has not only been a learning curve for my pup but for me as well. A lot goes into training a great dog and I am sure we can all agree on that. They can have the genetics but they have to be tailored!

Re: If you have ever trained a dog before... [Re: HuntersAnonymous41] #6769672 05/20/17 07:14 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Some things are genetic. Desire to retrieve is genetic and can be enhanced. You use these genetic traits to teach dogs to do certain things. A retriever is not naturally steady. They do not naturally sit on a whistle and turn to look at you. They don't naturally take a cast at 100 yards away. It takes a lot of time and effort but they must like to do the work or it's much tougher. You may eventually get there but it won't be fun for you or the dog.

Last edited by BradyBuck; 05/20/17 07:15 PM.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: If you have ever trained a dog before... [Re: HuntersAnonymous41] #6771252 05/22/17 03:05 PM
T
triggerbowtx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I agree with BradyBuck. I think the original question is asking if retrievers take more time to be trained than other dogs? And the simple answer is "it depends on what you expect from your dog."

In general, a well bred Labrador will have some desire to retrieve. That is natural. Or a cattle dog to have some innate abilities. You can have a great Labrador that gets every bird when hunting that doesn't have that much training. However in retriever training, especially at the advanced levels, it is much more than just your average working dog. There is A LOT that goes into it. There is a big difference in a "meat dog" and a dog training for competitive events. Both dogs can be wonderful animals, it's just a different standard and more advanced training.

Re: If you have ever trained a dog before... [Re: HuntersAnonymous41] #6771418 05/22/17 05:40 PM
C
catslayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
My question is... with comp dogs, outside of comp, do you ever really USE those tools?

Last edited by catslayer; 05/22/17 05:40 PM.

Sombody smells like fried borritos...
Re: If you have ever trained a dog before... [Re: catslayer] #6771485 05/22/17 07:02 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: catslayer
My question is... with comp dogs, outside of comp, do you ever really USE those tools?

I hunt mine every year.

Re: If you have ever trained a dog before... [Re: HuntersAnonymous41] #6771488 05/22/17 07:03 PM
J
jeffro3967 Online Content
Light Foot
Online Content
Light Foot
J
My dog was trained at Best retrievers also, and yes, I have used her "tools" many times in the field. Blind retrieves are pretty common when hunting with multiple guns and a well trained comp dog can easily pick those up. That's not to say all competitive dogs are good hunters, but with good genetics and quality training you can have the best of both worlds. Getting a retriever that handles smoothly in the field doesn't happen over night, and some definitely take longer than others but the end result is a great hunting partner for many years to come.

Re: If you have ever trained a dog before... [Re: triggerbowtx] #6771597 05/22/17 08:41 PM
H
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
triggerbowtx, Yes, I think you understood what I was getting at and I couldn't agree more. up am quickly learning through these experiences that there is defiantly a big difference between a dog with good drive and a dog that has the drive and has been given the time and finely tuned.

Last edited by HuntersAnonymous41; 05/22/17 08:43 PM.

Re: If you have ever trained a dog before... [Re: HuntersAnonymous41] #6771604 05/22/17 08:49 PM
H
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
I have trained a lot of coons dogs and blood trackers in my lifetime growing up in Louisiana but have found it more extensive and in dept training good bird dogs or retrievers through my recent experiences and research.

Re: If you have ever trained a dog before... [Re: catslayer] #6771865 05/23/17 12:40 AM
B
Birdhunter61 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B

When you field hunt, geese and ducks, you often see "sailors", which can land several hundred yards from the spread. Most "pure" hunting dogs won't go that far for a retrieve. Most "competitive " dogs will.

Robby

Re: If you have ever trained a dog before... [Re: Birdhunter61] #6772071 05/23/17 03:16 AM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I started with meat dogs and then I switched to train trial dogs when bird populations were bad in the mid to late 90's. Takes a lot more polish if you want to place in trials. I am now back to meat dogs with my cockers but they will be polished too by the time they are finished. cheers

Bobby Barnett

Re: If you have ever trained a dog before... [Re: jeffro3967] #6772968 05/24/17 12:23 AM
C
catslayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: jeffro3967
My dog was trained at Best retrievers also, and yes, I have used her "tools" many times in the field. Blind retrieves are pretty common when hunting with multiple guns and a well trained comp dog can easily pick those up. That's not to say all competitive dogs are good hunters, but with good genetics and quality training you can have the best of both worlds. Getting a retriever that handles smoothly in the field doesn't happen over night, and some definitely take longer than others but the end result is a great hunting partner for many years to come.

Good to know, I've heard guys with NON comp dogs say it's a waste.b This is the most honest answer I feel I've got.

Sombody smells like fried borritos...
Re: If you have ever trained a dog before... [Re: catslayer] #6773150 05/24/17 02:25 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B

Absolutely when it comes to retrievers. I would bet the majority of hunters out there with labs used for dove and waterfowl aren't steady or at least creep and can't run a blind retrieve. I've hunted over several like that and you can always throw rocks and dirt clods but it's a lot more enjoyable with a well trained retriever.

Last edited by BradyBuck; 05/24/17 02:25 AM.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: If you have ever trained a dog before... [Re: catslayer] #6773449 05/24/17 03:12 PM
T
triggerbowtx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T

Everyday. I don't mean that to be a ridiculous statement either. I do run blinds with my dog almost daily but that's not what I mean. Besides the ability to run blind retrieves and things of that nature which are extremely useful for hunting, I have a very high standard for obedience for my "comp dog" which I use everyday. If I am at my house in the front yard or at a local park, it is very common for people to be completely amazed at my dogs obedience. Will your dog sit on command and look at you and not move until asked to move from 200 yards away (or 5 or 10 or 50 yards away)? My "comp dog" is just our family dog/hunting partner that runs in hunt tests.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide