Forums46
Topics538,518
Posts9,738,098
Members87,095
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: txtrophy85] #6767872 05/18/17 06:34 PM
J
Jon B Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Tikkas are priced affordably with good value so they sell

I personally think they have a cheap feel so I would never buy one.

They don't sell because they are awesome, they sell based on features that you can get at a price point

I was all set to buy one, was going to order off gun broker and wanted to handle one before I ordered. Went to a gun shop and from the second I picked it up I just felt like I was holding a plastic pos excuse for a gun. It felt and looked cheaply made and I just like a gun with some heft to it. Yes I'm positive they make a quality gun, but I just couldn't live with the feel/finish.

I bought a savage model 14 classic wood stock with dark stock cap, stainless barrel, and detachable magazine for a little less. Pretty gun, solid feel and the screw holes for the scope base aren't aligned straight muyloco

Should have followed my real gut and bought a vanguard.

Weatherby makes a rifle called a mark V you may want to check out...

I second the opinion about the Mark 5....The vangaurd screams attention Walmart Shoppers!

I wish stupidity was not so handsomly rewarded.
Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: Korean Redneck] #6767879 05/18/17 06:42 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I would own a vanguard deluxe and will probably buy my wife the Camilla. Still, the vanguard deluxe is almost a $1k rifle and the Camilla is around $800....so you expect to get a little bit nicer rifle.

the S2's and all the low end synthetic models in that line are the ones I don't like.

My buddy picked up one on a trade, stainless synthetic S2. we shot it a few times one day before he sold it. Decent rifle, seemed ok in quality but its not anywhere close to my Accumark. Would have made a decent knockaround elk gun or loaner rifle, but not something I would buy personally

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: Jon B] #6767881 05/18/17 06:46 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Jon B
Tikkas are priced affordably with good value so they sell

I personally think they have a cheap feel so I would never buy one.

They don't sell because they are awesome, they sell based on features that you can get at a price point

I was all set to buy one, was going to order off gun broker and wanted to handle one before I ordered. Went to a gun shop and from the second I picked it up I just felt like I was holding a plastic pos excuse for a gun. It felt and looked cheaply made and I just like a gun with some heft to it. Yes I'm positive they make a quality gun, but I just couldn't live with the feel/finish.

I bought a savage model 14 classic wood stock with dark stock cap, stainless barrel, and detachable magazine for a little less. Pretty gun, solid feel and the screw holes for the scope base aren't aligned straight muyloco

Should have followed my real gut and bought a vanguard.

Weatherby makes a rifle called a mark V you may want to check out...

I second the opinion about the Mark 5....The vangaurd screams attention Walmart Shoppers!

Well I guess I are a Walmart shopper!!!! Does that make me less of a person? or just make you look like an idiot? LOL

This is a Vanguard sporter delux, very pretty gun to me, I paid 6-700 for it. I wasn't sure at the time about going with the vanguard over quality issues instead of the Mark V, I feel like all I missed out on are bragging rights. Its a great looking gun I have received several compliments on it and it shoots fantastic.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: Korean Redneck] #6767901 05/18/17 07:10 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
That's a nice hawg.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: Korean Redneck] #6767917 05/18/17 07:28 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Chevy if you take 50 guys that own vanguards maybe a handful will own the deluxe models. I get what the op was saying

Most guys don't even know they make a deluxe model vanguard they assume all the fancy looking ones are mark V's

Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6767949 05/18/17 08:02 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
That's a nice hawg.

Thanks Nog, is the first animal we killed on our place after we bought it. I took a mid afternoon break from clearing brush and plopped down in a lawn chair in the middle of big patch of pear overlooking a natural depression holding water. 5 minutes later he met a 200 grain partition from the 300 wby pictured. For 8 years he was the biggest one we shot and weighted 225 lbs. My dad shot one 20 or so pounds heavier about 20 yards from the same spot. The area we are in the picture is now a tank.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: HWY_MAN] #6767954 05/18/17 08:10 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Originally Posted By: Korean Redneck
As a true conservative, facts and figures have always meant more in any circumstance than rhetoric...

So I went to my local gander mountain for their bankruptcy sale. 20% off all firearms. Of all the brands of bolt action rifles they careried; Remington, Winchester, savage and river American amongst others. All sorts of ranges of all brands. Guess which brand of bolt rifles was completely sold out? That's right, No Tikkas to be seen.
I won't say it's the best of whatever, but people speak louder with their wallets than their mouths.

Interestingly enough I've never hunted with anybody or had anybody come out to hunt that shot a Tikka so I could just as easily say they're not well liked by the masses. When something is not in stock you can look at it two ways, they sold out or they didn't sell enough to warrant keeping in inventory.

Or the price is so much higher on a Tikka, they don't turn as fast as some of the other factory rifles. Most merchants want items that sell quickly. Nothing wrong with the rifle.

Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: Korean Redneck] #6767956 05/18/17 08:11 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Pretty good shot placement too

Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: txtrophy85] #6767961 05/18/17 08:25 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Yes, and I will concede that a .300 Wby. Mag was adequate firepower. smile

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: redchevy] #6767971 05/18/17 08:39 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
That's a nice hawg.

Thanks Nog, is the first animal we killed on our place after we bought it. I took a mid afternoon break from clearing brush and plopped down in a lawn chair in the middle of big patch of pear overlooking a natural depression holding water. 5 minutes later he met a 200 grain partition from the 300 wby pictured. For 8 years he was the biggest one we shot and weighted 225 lbs. My dad shot one 20 or so pounds heavier about 20 yards from the same spot. The area we are in the picture is now a tank.
up

Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6768028 05/18/17 09:51 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Yes, and I will concede that a .300 Wby. Mag was adequate firepower. smile

a .300 blackout would have worked better.... bolt

Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: Korean Redneck] #6768077 05/18/17 10:45 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Tikkas are crappy looking guns. I did kill all of my deer last year with one and a bunch of coyotes and hogs. I bought a T3 light in 22-250. It's shot anything I've loaded for it under 1/2" at a100yds. It loves the 45grn. TSX @ 4000 FPS. There is no denying that they are the best shooting off the rack rifle available. The one I have is a true one hole gun @ 100yds. I won't ever trade it because it shoots better than any of the custom rifles have. But it's still ugly. I haven't missed an animal with it yet under 300yds.

Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: scalebuster] #6768091 05/18/17 10:59 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
Tikkas are crappy looking guns. I did kill all of my deer last year with one and a bunch of coyotes and hogs. I bought a T3 light in 22-250. It's shot anything I've loaded for it under 1/2" at a100yds. It loves the 45grn. TSX @ 4000 FPS. There is no denying that they are the best shooting off the rack rifle available. The one I have is a true one hole gun @ 100yds. I won't ever trade it because it shoots better than any of the custom rifles have. But it's still ugly. I haven't missed an animal with it yet under 300yds.

Mmmm...interesting.

So, what's your take on ugly women??
farmer

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: RiverRider] #6768096 05/18/17 11:04 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: RiverRider

Mmmm...interesting.

farmer

It depends on how late it is. I'm with Micky Gilley on that one. Tikkas are a lot like ugly women. They can be great but won't impress your friends, unless they've tried them out.

Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: scalebuster] #6768110 05/18/17 11:20 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: RiverRider

Mmmm...interesting.

farmer

It depends on how late it is. I'm with Micky Gilley on that one. Tikkas are a lot like ugly women. They can be great but won't impress your friends, unless they've tried them out.

Very well played.

Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: Korean Redneck] #6768209 05/19/17 12:39 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Kinda like riding a moped....

Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: Korean Redneck] #6768555 05/19/17 01:57 PM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I think Tikka's are excellent rifles. I also don't care for DBM's and small ejection ports. I know the new model Tikka's have larger ports but they still aren't as large as a Remington 700, Winchester M70 or Vanguard. So unless I'm buying a M70 I'll stick with a Vanguard.

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: booradley] #6768566 05/19/17 02:11 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The two T-3 actions I have are built into a 7mm-08 and a 6.5 Creedmoor. So because all Tikkas are long action they have zero trouble ejecting those two spent pieces of brass. Talking to friends, they've not had trouble, that I'm aware of, ejecting long action cartridges. Having come from weak, or absent ejecting Savage actions, the very strong ejection of the Tikka actions is one of my favor things about them.

Couple that with a great factory trigger, and a 70° bolt throw, and I've come to really enjoy shooting them. I'm somewhat hard wired to that 70°, now. So much that when I break out my one Rem 700 action, I always think "daggum I've gotta lift this bolt handle a long ways. smile

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide