Print Thread
Bad Tag Draw Information By Eastmans #6765376 05/16/17 01:03 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
For those of you who put in for the many out of state limited tag draws, sources like Eastmans', Huntin' Fool, and several others are often relied on in understanding each state's draw system and forming an application strategy. All the information you can get your hands on is assimilated to help you in the final decision: what units do I apply
for? It is here that I have found these sources often fail.

Here's one example discussing the AZ nonresident desert sheep tag draw:

I drew the NR 43B tag in 2014 with less than half of maximum points. I personally have spoken since with 3 hunters who drew that same tag with less than maximum points (one with 6). In fact, because 43B is allocated 5-7 sheep tags each year, it is the ONLY unit in AZ that a NR with less than max points has a shot at drawing a tag in every year.

Yet this article is telling NRs with less than max point NOT to apply in quite possibly the ONLY unit they have a chance to draw a tag in. In short, they totally failed their readers in the very purpose for which the article was written. SMDH.

Not a big deal for many, but a huge deal if you're ponying up $$ in hopes of drawing that once-in-a-lifetime tag.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Bad Tag Draw Information By Eastmans [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6766564 05/17/17 02:06 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
They aren't nearly as respected as in years past. Too many mistakes in their MRS and mostly private land hunts for them that no one who reads their magazine has any chance to get in on.
Gone downhill since Mike gave Guy the reigns.
If you want good draw advice go to HuntTalk forum. Many knowledgeable hunters there willing to share info, much like on here.
Just know they all love to rant against Texas. Jealous I guess.

Re: Bad Tag Draw Information By Eastmans [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6766582 05/17/17 02:21 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
43b is 5/possible 2 this year

Think I counted 7 hunts that currently have possibly of 2 NR tags
43b and 15d had tag decreases.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Bad Tag Draw Information By Eastmans [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6766583 05/17/17 02:22 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
I haven't played the tag drawing game in years, but sometimes think about getting back into it. Who do you feel is the best at providing good information about drawing out of state tags?

Re: Bad Tag Draw Information By Eastmans [Re: EddieWalker] #6766591 05/17/17 02:26 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: EddieWalker
I haven't played the tag drawing game in years, but sometimes think about getting back into it. Who do you feel is the best at providing good information about drawing out of state tags?

Epic w/carter

Don't use THF!!!!!

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Bad Tag Draw Information By Eastmans [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6766600 05/17/17 02:44 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
NP I use Eastmans, but do use a lot of other resources when making my decision. I have found a lot of mistakes/misinformation in the Eastmans MRS. But other sources that I use have a lot of error and misinformation as well. In their defense, its a lot of information to compline on all the various states.

The least reliable sources , in my opinion, arethe various hunting forums. I found these to be useless in developing a application strategy. The forums are riddled with completely incorrect information and I sometimes think it's intentional by members.

Re: Bad Tag Draw Information By Eastmans [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6766613 05/17/17 02:58 PM
N
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
There's no 100% reliable source - which is understandable as you point out Erny. Many believe some of the bad info put out by the publications is intentional too. IDK because I can't get inside their heads.

They are mostly all a good starting point for gaining a basic understanding of the different systems in each state. Truth is, some systems are so complicated as a result of the computer allocation of drawing #s, etc. that no one can give actual odds of drawing in particular units. At least over the past few years most of them have acknowledged this. Odds comparisons between units can be made based on tag #s and past application #s....

IMO it is not too much to ask that they not directly be so wrong as to tell their readers they have no chance to draw in particular unit(s) when that is simply not true. As was done here.

Read my post carefully BOBO. I said "quite possibly....". I know each year there are 2 NR tag units-they just vary from year to year so one better be diligent with one's research between the time tag allocations are made and the draw deadline. My point is that (because of its consistent allocation of 5-7 tags) 43B is always a mainstay option one can confidently put down for a NR desert sheep application and have a chance to draw with less than max points.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Bad Tag Draw Information By Eastmans [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6766657 05/17/17 03:34 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Well guess you and I look a capitalized emphasis differently .......(quite possibly the ONLY unit.)

Fact of the matter is there are possibly 7 hunts choices NR none max point holders could draw. Some of those units you will have a hard time statically beating the odds, due to extremely high Res application and NR application

Re: Bad Tag Draw Information By Eastmans [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6766659 05/17/17 03:40 PM
N
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Well guess you and I look a capitalized emphasis differently .......(quite possibly the ONLY unit.)

Fact of the matter is there are possibly 7 hunts choices NR none max point holders could draw. Some of those units you will have a hard time statically beating the odds, due to high Res application and NR application

Which was the reason for my wording. It wasn't the point of the post, but thank you for explaining.

That one will have to beat hellacious odds to draw a NR AZ sheep tag with less than max points is a given.

Re: Bad Tag Draw Information By Eastmans [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6766671 05/17/17 03:53 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Well technically you just did what they did if multiple hunt choices have better odds due to historically lower app #'s.

Put it this way this year eastmans isn't the only company with that thought process.

Re: Bad Tag Draw Information By Eastmans [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6766679 05/17/17 04:00 PM
N
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
Well technically you just did what they did if multiple hunt choices have better odds due to historically lower app #'s.

Put it this way this year eastmans isn't the only company with that thought process.

My point was Eastmans' is telling its readers they have no chance to draw a sheep tag in AZ unit 43B as a NR if they don't have max points. That is wrong/bad info. Whatever their "thought process" is. I am living proof.

I'm not sure what your point is. A different one than mine. But I'm not arguing it whatever it is.

Re: Bad Tag Draw Information By Eastmans [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6766703 05/17/17 04:23 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

My point was Eastmans' is telling its readers they have no chance to draw a sheep tag in AZ unit 43B as a NR if they don't have max points. That is wrong/bad info. Whatever their "thought process" is. I am living proof.

I'm not sure what your point is. A different one than mine. But I'm not arguing it whatever it is.

Odds change year to year..especially after "2015"

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide