New to hunting #6758483 05/09/17 02:13 PM
T
Texaspilot Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
T
Hi All,

I am getting older (in my 40s now) and I really want to learn to hunt. My father wasn't an outdoorsman, so I failed to learn there. I have been trying to educate myself online, but there is so much to know. I know I need a license, there are also tags, also where to hunt, what kind of weapon do I need (I have a few rifles, but don't know if they are appropriate, or if I need a shotgun), how to clean an animal, the list goes on and on. I am embarrassed to say that I know next to nothing, but would like to learn and hopefully go hunting this year whenever hunting season starts. I would like to hunt deer, elk, turkeys, hogs, and ducks probably in that order. I would like to do it both for the sport and the meat. I love the taste of game and filling the freezer might make my wife feel better about the time and money spent. I would be grateful for any help, or just pointing me in the right direction for finding what to read or where to go to learn.

Re: New to hunting [Re: Texaspilot] #6758528 05/09/17 02:50 PM
S
Stratgolfer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Welcome!! Well you've come to the right place. Even though I've only met one THF'er in person I'd say most are good helpful people. I learn something new and get a laugh just about everyday. There are knowledgeable people on here on every topic you have questions on. Also, I watch a lot of hunting video's on Youtube, as much or little as you want to get into.

"I was called by the Yorkers a outlaw, and later by the english a rebel" Ethan Allen
Re: New to hunting [Re: Texaspilot] #6758556 05/09/17 03:21 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Welcome, what part of Texas do you live in?

Re: New to hunting [Re: Texaspilot] #6758565 05/09/17 03:26 PM
T
Texaspilot Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
T
Thanks for the welcomes. I live just North of Houston in Spring.

Re: New to hunting [Re: Texaspilot] #6758568 05/09/17 03:27 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Welcome sir. You'll learn next to nothing here since Mr. STXRanchman went MIA. nidea

Re: New to hunting [Re: Texaspilot] #6758569 05/09/17 03:29 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Texaspilot
Thanks for the welcomes. I live just North of Houston in Spring.

You could start by hunting the old Cypresswood Golf Club creek course (located in Spring Texas) that was closed down a few years ago. I'd recommend getting permission first up

Re: New to hunting [Re: Texaspilot] #6758577 05/09/17 03:36 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
I think your best bet would be to check out the outfitters and guide section. Find a good axis doe summer hunt and let them know your situation. You will fill the freezer with a great tasting animal and that would be a relatively easy way to get started in hunting.

Re: New to hunting [Re: Texaspilot] #6758620 05/09/17 04:03 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
welcome

What are the rifles that you own?

Might be you have what you need already.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: New to hunting [Re: Texaspilot] #6758692 05/09/17 04:54 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
welcome

as others have stated, ask questions and most people here will give you some good advice. The internet and YouTube are also great sources of information but the school of hard knocks and learning the hard way are often better sources for you to retain the knowledge.

as PP ... what rifles do you currently own? You might already be set up.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: New to hunting [Re: Texaspilot] #6758699 05/09/17 04:58 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Some can't miss facts to know:

- The best and most successful hunters hunt high fence. Those with lesser skills envy them and tend to have negative views on HF ranches reflecting their own deficiencies more than anything else.
- Antler Restrictions are universally hailed as phenomenally successful everywhere, regardless. 0% miss rate. People and hunters in general tend to believe strongly that they should have been in the Constitution.
- Any bullet size is more than enough. Just practice a week or so before the season starts to be extra safe.

Stick with me, grasshopper. You're in good hands.

Re: New to hunting [Re: Texaspilot] #6758713 05/09/17 05:03 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: Texaspilot
Hi All,

I am getting older (in my 40s now) and I really want to learn to hunt. My father wasn't an outdoorsman, so I failed to learn there. I have been trying to educate myself online, but there is so much to know. I know I need a license, there are also tags, also where to hunt, what kind of weapon do I need (I have a few rifles, but don't know if they are appropriate, or if I need a shotgun), how to clean an animal, the list goes on and on. I am embarrassed to say that I know next to nothing, but would like to learn and hopefully go hunting this year whenever hunting season starts. I would like to hunt deer, elk, turkeys, hogs, and ducks probably in that order. I would like to do it both for the sport and the meat. I love the taste of game and filling the freezer might make my wife feel better about the time and money spent. I would be grateful for any help, or just pointing me in the right direction for finding what to read or where to go to learn.

The best thing to do right now would be to take a hunter safety course. They teach a lot more than just safety, covering a lot of the subjects you are asking about. You might also meet someone to go hunting with.

BTW, welcome

Last edited by Palehorse; 05/09/17 05:04 PM.
Re: New to hunting [Re: cameron00] #6758717 05/09/17 05:07 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: cameron00
Some can't miss facts to know:

- The best and most successful hunters hunt high fence. Those with lesser skills envy them and tend to have negative views on HF ranches reflecting their own deficiencies more than anything else.
- Antler Restrictions are universally hailed as phenomenally successful everywhere, regardless. 0% miss rate. People and hunters in general tend to believe strongly that they should have been in the Constitution.
- Any bullet size is more than enough. Just practice a week or so before the season starts to be extra safe.

Stick with me, grasshopper. You're in good hands.

hammer You ain't right.

Re: New to hunting [Re: Texaspilot] #6758753 05/09/17 05:31 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Theres alot of good knowledge here on the forum, theres also plenty of bs so dont take everything your told to heart. Welcome to the forum!

Re: New to hunting [Re: Texaspilot] #6758757 05/09/17 05:34 PM
T
Texaspilot Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
T
As for my rifles, I am mostly a pistol guy, so I only have three and rarely shoot them. I have my old ruger 10/22 that I've had since I was a kid. --I have a feeling that is too small for anything other than squirrels and rabbits. I have a Winchester model 94 lever action chambered to .357 magnum which is really fun to shoot, but maybe not right for hunting deer? And finally I have this old Spanish FR8 my little brother gave me years ago and I've only shot a couple times, it is .308 and a little rough --a good gun for the back of the truck...

As for the hunter safety course, I spend a lot of time on the road with my job and was considering doing one of the online ones. I don't know if those are worth it or not.

I think the guided hunt may be a good idea for the first time, but aren't they quite expensive?

And finally Cameron00, I am such a newbie that I am sorry to say I cant follow most of what you said. I don't know what high fence or antler restrictions are, but hope to know soon...

Re: New to hunting [Re: Palehorse] #6758765 05/09/17 05:39 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Was just touching on some hot topics that will come up on this site about every other week. Nothing I said was serious.

OR WAS IT???

Anyhow, good luck and welcome. Best thing you can do is find a good friend that hunts and have them show you the ropes. It's never too old to start.

Re: New to hunting [Re: Texaspilot] #6758840 05/09/17 06:30 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
although the rifles you currently have wouldn't be my first choices, the .357 and .308 would be OK for deer within their range along with your own accuracy with them to a given distance. The 10/22 would not be legal to hunt deer with since it is a rim fire.

the Hunter Safety course is required for every hunter born on or after Sept. 2, 1971. I think there is a one year deferral but I would strongly suggest going thru on before going into the field unless you have some experience hunter going with you. As stated, you might find similar age people going thru the hunter safety course to partner up with to help each other learn and to hunt with.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: New to hunting [Re: Texaspilot] #6758888 05/09/17 07:03 PM
H
HuntersAnonymous41 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
I am currently teaching my girlfriend from nothing. I've hunted since I could walk on my own but still learn new things and am reading daily. But it is something I love. Know that this will not come to you before next season, heck even within the next year.

In terms of your guns, not bad, but not great. Don't just expect to just go out and hunt deer or a trophy horn sheep (seen to many people make this mistake). That could be a big mistake in my opinion if you have little clue to no idea what you are doing or not not with anyone knowledgeable either. Start small and work up. Go hunt rabbit and hog. Those can be very easy hunts and you can find hog hunts for next too nothing that will possibly provide you with meat and knowledge with the right outfitter. Beyond that, just keep reading and asking questions. Baby steps as well. Don't be afraid of failure or this will be short lived. Good luck

*BLLM* Black Labs Lives Matter. Point&Shoot. Conserve&Protect. Hunt&Gather
Re: New to hunting [Re: Texaspilot] #6759043 05/09/17 08:49 PM
P
Pope&Young Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
welcome to the forum

There is a lot of knowledge on this form along with some great members that are always eager to offer up advice up

[Linked Image]
Re: New to hunting [Re: Texaspilot] #6759074 05/09/17 09:19 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Welcome! This forum can be a great place to learn. Hunters Ed should be #1 on the To Do list. After that's taken care of you'll need to find a guided hunt(s), or lease since Texas hunting options on public land are pretty limited. There are no dumb questions. Just fire away and then sift the grains of knowledge from the chaff and you'll be OK. First purchase should probably be a more suitable caliber rifle for Deer and Elk since those are top 2 on your list.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: New to hunting [Re: Texaspilot] #6759092 05/09/17 09:33 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
My best advice is be very open and proactive about finding a mentor who will take you under their wing - maybe through work, church, friend networking connections, any resource you have....

There is no substitute for someone who can personally show you the ropes. Hunting is mostly trial and error, and a good mentor can cut way down on the errors. smile

welcome

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: New to hunting [Re: Texaspilot] #6759121 05/09/17 09:50 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
welcome

I would check out the outfitters and guide section of the forum. Maybe set up a hog hunt, explain to the guide your newbie status and ask for help, guidance and instruction. To start the 308 is plenty to start with, but trust me you will want more.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: New to hunting [Re: Texaspilot] #6759183 05/09/17 10:46 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I started out with 0 experience about 6-7 years ago just like you. In that time I have become quite a hunter in my mind of course.

My first thoughts were guns and shooting ability. Sounds like you are good there.

2nd thoughts are equipment, clothes, boots, binocs, backpacks, etc

3rd is the TV, internet, youtube thing. learn as much as you can about skinning processing etc

4th is time in the field.

There is no substitute for time in the field! I have spent the last few years chasing hogs as a solo hunter in Sam Houston National Forest. This has molded me in to a hunter. Hunting the SAM is extremely difficult and although I was not a very successful hog hunter I did kind of figure it out and I killed at least one hog during my first few years and missed another and saw a bunch more. This hog hunting education made my first deer season really easy. I already knew where the deer were from time in the field and their travel routes so last year I got in that area and it took me a few trips but I got it done and harvested a deer on my own with nobodies help whatsoever. And next year will be easier and every year I will get better. You can not learn what I have learned sitting in a blind over a feeder. I went many a day not even seeing an animal but that is hunting and learning. Every time I saw a deer or hog I registered time, direction and place and after awhile a pattern was easily seen.

Public hunting lands suck in the state of texas (not much of it) however they have been a very useful tool for me to hone my hunting skills and become a real hunter on my own after only a few years.

I am very proud of that fact also and I now feel like I have become an accomplished hunter!

This is how I did it. I am 48 yrs old.

Good luck to you and go getem!

Last edited by Bigfoot; 05/10/17 01:57 AM.

GO TRUMP!
Re: New to hunting [Re: Texaspilot] #6759340 05/10/17 01:10 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Check your PMs

Re: New to hunting [Re: Texaspilot] #6759750 05/10/17 01:51 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
You have the, I was gonna say perfect but that'd start a debate so I won't use that term, right kind of gun to start your hunting with and it's your 10/22. As others have stated start small! There is public land you can hunt and I believe you can hunt the Sam Houston Nat'l forest and Davy Crockett Nat'l forest free. You will need your hunters ed course first. Start with squirrels...they are a hoot to hunt and you can learn a lot by hunting them. Spot and stalk is a great way to hunt them. In addition it will also give you the opportunity to see other game such as deer and hogs. Make sure you check the season dates for the county you plan to hunt as well as bag limits.

If you can find someone to go with you that is a seasoned hunter it'd be a nice bonus.

Re: New to hunting [Re: Bigfoot] #6759756 05/10/17 01:55 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
I started out with 0 experience about 6-7 years ago just like you. In that time I have become quite a hunter in my mind of course.

My first thoughts were guns and shooting ability. Sounds like you are good there.

2nd thoughts are equipment, clothes, boots, binocs, backpacks, etc

3rd is the TV, internet, youtube thing. learn as much as you can about skinning processing etc

4th is time in the field.

There is no substitute for time in the field! I have spent the last few years chasing hogs as a solo hunter in Sam Houston National Forest. This has molded me in to a hunter. Hunting the SAM is extremely difficult and although I was not a very successful hog hunter I did kind of figure it out and I killed at least one hog during my first few years and missed another and saw a bunch more. This hog hunting education made my first deer season really easy. I already knew where the deer were from time in the field and their travel routes so last year I got in that area and it took me a few trips but I got it done and harvested a deer on my own with nobodies help whatsoever. And next year will be easier and every year I will get better. You can not learn what I have learned sitting in a blind over a feeder. I went many a day not even seeing an animal but that is hunting and learning. Every time I saw a deer or hog I registered time, direction and place and after awhile a pattern was easily seen.

Public hunting lands suck in the state of texas (not much of it) however they have been a very useful tool for me to hone my hunting skills and become a real hunter on my own after only a few years.

I am very proud of that fact also and I now feel like I have become an accomplished hunter!

This is how I did it. I am 48 yrs old.

Good luck to you and go getem!

Congrats! I too learned to hunt by hunting public land and if you can get you a nice buck hunting public land in Texas then you've really accomplished something and those to me are what really defines "trophy" in the term trophy buck!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide