FJB
Re: HB 1911 Permitless to Carry [Re: leswad] #6742951 04/22/17 05:25 PM
T
TreeBass Online Content
Old Weller
Online Content
Old Weller
T
What's the big deal? Looks like they are comparing apples to oranges in the article.

You have to be 21 to purchase a handgun, 18 to purchase a long gun. confused2

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: HB 1911 Permitless to Carry [Re: TreeBass] #6743462 04/23/17 04:08 AM
L
leswad Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: TreeBass
What's the big deal? Looks like they are comparing apples to oranges in the article.

It was this part that perked my ears:

“If you get behind on your taxes – no right to carry,” he added. “If you’re delinquent on your child support – no right to carry. If you are arrested for a crime (whether you committed it or not) – no right to carry until your case is resolved. If you are convicted of or plead to ANY class B misdemeanor or higher, you lose your right to carry for five years.”

“It also requires that you sacrifice your 1st amendment free speech because if you are charged and/or convicted for using profanity or flipping the bird in public, you lose your right to carry,” he continued. “While it may sound absurd, it’s also within the law to lose your rights for farting in public (see Texas Penal Code 42.01).”

[Linked Image]

FJB
Re: HB 1911 Permitless to Carry [Re: leswad] #6743572 04/23/17 01:55 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: leswad

“If you get behind on your taxes – no right to carry,” he added. “If you’re delinquent on your child support – no right to carry. If you are arrested for a crime (whether you committed it or not) – no right to carry until your case is resolved. If you are convicted of or plead to ANY class B misdemeanor or higher, you lose your right to carry for five years.”

“It also requires that you sacrifice your 1st amendment free speech because if you are charged and/or convicted for using profanity or flipping the bird in public, you lose your right to carry,” he continued. “While it may sound absurd, it’s also within the law to lose your rights for farting in public (see Texas Penal Code 42.01).”

I may be missing it, but I can't find any of that in the bill. As far as the farting in public, that is absolute garbage. It is not illegal to fart in public, the Disorderly Conduct statute they cite says "creates, by chemical means, a noxious and unreasonable odor in a public place". They are embellishing things to make a point.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: HB 1911 Permitless to Carry [Re: leswad] #6743579 04/23/17 01:58 PM
M
Marc K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
As I see Chapter 42, it is one reasonableness. It is heavily centered around a persons conduct in public as it relates to: "Tends to incite an immediate breach of the peace." It also covers window peeping and displaying a weapon in "a manner calculated to cause alarm." Reasonable code of conduct.

It clearly says that "significant provocation abusive or threatening conduct, is a defense." So, if someone provokes you in a significant way, you can indeed cuss them out and flip them off.

On the fart comment, it says: "creates, by chemical means, a noxious and unreasonable odor in a public place." Any level of reasonableness would not include a fart..... Tell what judge or DA would want their name on the internet for that one!

I am extremely sensitive to loss if individual liberties and rights. I can easily get on my soap box about how loss of rights is creeping up on us daily, and how we must remain vigilant.

Somehow I can't see raising a bunch red flags about gun rights loss over this. Can someone tell me what I am missing on this particular reference?

Marc

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: HB 1911 Permitless to Carry [Re: leswad] #6743591 04/23/17 02:12 PM
M
Marc K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Griss, looks you were posting while I was still typing.

But I will add that, I learned to spell "embellishing" more simplistically: BS

Marc

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: HB 1911 Permitless to Carry [Re: Marc K] #6743608 04/23/17 02:33 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Marc in Bastrop
Griss, looks you were posting while I was still typing.

But I will add that, I learned to spell "embellishing" more simplistically: BS

Marc

I try to play nice when I can, but your spelling is more accurate. grin

Re: HB 1911 Permitless to Carry [Re: leswad] #6744626 04/24/17 06:37 PM
M
Marc K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
But then I type too fast for my brain to proof........
Sorry, Grizz!

Re: HB 1911 Permitless to Carry [Re: leswad] #6745380 04/25/17 02:59 PM
B
Bravo Foxtrot Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
I am more partial to HB1911 than HB375. I just don't Like the wording in 375 that the small things make you a felon vs. 1911 that is a misdemeanor. That is if I am understanding the wording correctly.

USMC Retired
Operation Iraqi Freedom/Enduring Freedom Vetran
Re: HB 1911 Permitless to Carry [Re: leswad] #6745450 04/25/17 03:56 PM
R
ronlhodges Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R

The way I look at it is the use of respect . If a person has an attitude problem and needs to use profanity and hand signs when they get upset then myself would not want to be around them . Who knows when they may get beyond mad and start pointing or waving around their pistol , that is a threat and could be fatal to that person not only from LEOs' but from another carrier that respects the situation and handgun and may feel threatened . A handgun license only gives you permission to carry a handgun soley for the purpose of self protection . If a problem arrises and does not involve you , you could be arrested and charged with a deadly weapon unless a person is being attacked and has no way to protect themselves and it's a matter of life and death .

In your first paragraph I can't say I agree or not . I know that's a way of making you pay your taxes or child support . Of course if your paying child support and miss payments for reasons acceptable that's fine but if you stop paying because of dispute between you and the ex then that's wrong . If you make babies , take care of them reguardless the factor ! As far as being convicted of any crime I don't believe you should have a license at all if convicted . As I mentioned above , a handgun is a deadly weapon . It demands respect in all manners and attitudes . If you cannot respect that about a deadly weapon you don't need to be carrying .

Re: HB 1911 Permitless to Carry [Re: ronlhodges] #6745761 04/25/17 09:03 PM
T
TreeBass Online Content
Old Weller
Online Content
Old Weller
T
Originally Posted By: ronlhodges

The way I look at it is the use of respect . If a person has an attitude problem and needs to use profanity and hand signs when they get upset then myself would not want to be around them . Who knows when they may get beyond mad and start pointing or waving around their pistol , that is a threat and could be fatal to that person not only from LEOs' but from another carrier that respects the situation and handgun and may feel threatened . A handgun license only gives you permission to carry a handgun soley for the purpose of self protection . If a problem arrises and does not involve you , you could be arrested and charged with a deadly weapon unless a person is being attacked and has no way to protect themselves and it's a matter of life and death .

In your first paragraph I can't say I agree or not . I know that's a way of making you pay your taxes or child support . Of course if your paying child support and miss payments for reasons acceptable that's fine but if you stop paying because of dispute between you and the ex then that's wrong . If you make babies , take care of them reguardless the factor ! As far as being convicted of any crime I don't believe you should have a license at all if convicted . As I mentioned above , a handgun is a deadly weapon . It demands respect in all manners and attitudes . If you cannot respect that about a deadly weapon you don't need to be carrying .

my thoughts as well up there are some folks that currently have a concealed carry license that I wouldn't even go to the range with due to their attitudes and "john wayne sysndrome". But yet they are authorized to carry.

The program isn't perfect, and Darwin will weed out the stupid, hopefully before they hurt someone

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: HB 1911 Permitless to Carry [Re: TreeBass] #6746030 04/26/17 01:36 AM
M
Marc K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
.............................................................................................................................................................................

my thoughts as well up there are some folks that currently have a concealed carry license that I wouldn't even go to the range with due to their attitudes and "john wayne sysndrome". But yet they are authorized to carry.

The program isn't perfect, and Darwin will weed out the stupid, hopefully before they hurt someone

That's pretty much how I feel about drivers licenses......

Marc

Re: HB 1911 Permitless to Carry [Re: leswad] #6747377 04/27/17 04:50 AM
G
Gravytrain Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Would this apply to concealed carry, open carry or both?

Upon us all, upon us all, a little rain must fall
Re: HB 1911 Permitless to Carry [Re: Gravytrain] #6747743 04/27/17 04:21 PM
R
rdhibbs Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Gravytrain
Would this apply to concealed carry, open carry or both?

HB 1911 Generally gives any Texas resident who meets the qualifications to get a LTC the right to carry either open or concealed without the LTC. 30.06 / 30.07 posters would be changed to include non licensed carry.

HB 1911 would not do away with the TX LTC, it would simply make it optional. You will still have a few more advantages with the LTC (the big one is reciprocity states) I have red that you will not be able to go into any place that sells alcohol without a license, but that is fogy to me I can not find that language any where. I will KEEP my LTC.

I am curious to know when this goes to the house floor.[u][/u]

Thank You
Robert

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: HB 1911 Permitless to Carry [Re: ronlhodges] #6748245 04/28/17 01:10 AM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
As I mentioned above , a handgun is a deadly weapon . It demands respect in all manners and attitudes . If you cannot respect that about a deadly weapon you don't need to be carrying .

Yep. There are an awful lot of hootleheads out there. I don't mind a CC class weeding out a few.

Re: HB 1911 Permitless to Carry [Re: Palehorse] #6748270 04/28/17 01:33 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Palehorse
As I mentioned above , a handgun is a deadly weapon . It demands respect in all manners and attitudes . If you cannot respect that about a deadly weapon you don't need to be carrying .

Yep. There are an awful lot of hootleheads out there. I don't mind a CC class weeding out a few.

You're lying to yourself if you think any significant number of people get weeded out by a CHL class. My CHL instructor said no one had ever failed and only one person even had to retake the shooting test, once. If that is a legitimate concern the shooting test should be harder, it is a joke as is.

Last edited by rexmitchell; 04/28/17 01:36 AM.
Re: HB 1911 Permitless to Carry [Re: Palehorse] #6748606 04/28/17 01:27 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Almost had a Darwin Award winner.......idiot.... trout

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: HB 1911 Permitless to Carry [Re: krmitchell] #6749217 04/29/17 02:10 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

You're lying to yourself if you think any significant number of people get weeded out by a CHL class. My CHL instructor said no one had ever failed and only one person even had to retake the shooting test, once. If that is a legitimate concern the shooting test should be harder, it is a joke as is.

You're absolutely right about the class not weeding anyone out, but the background check will weed some out. If anyone can't pass the LTC qualification course they probably don't need to be in the same county as a gun.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide